Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #61
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
I'm on Day 2 . . . and I didn't lose ANYTHING from Day 1.

Isn't it just supposed to fall off?

Anyway, I'm missing my wine too - but I'm going to do as clean as I can for 30 days.
It's not that long, right?

What diet are you following?

I never thought Paleo was a weight loss diet, more a quality of life/food thing. Unless you were eating pretty unhealthy foods prior to starting I would not expect a huge weight loss.

Alternatively, many people spend a few days eating as much junk as possible prior to starting a diet & that does lead to (water) weight falling off quickly.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #62

Coconut flour is Paleo, isn't it? I've got lists somewhere but it will be faster to Google it. ...It appears to be! I wasn't sure they could crack those nuts way back in the day...

I was starving on the way home so I found myself wandering the health food store next to the mail room in search of a treat.

I looked all over for things that would be OK to try but I did not find much. I was walking out the door when my friend W, who works there, asked if I'd found what I was looking for? I asked if they carry coconut flour & he said it was in the refrigerator! The one place I did not look!

So now I have a bag of it - Bob's Red Mill - but no idea what to do with it.

They also had big bags of unsweetened, shredded coconut. They also had a low fat version. I guess some people don't want the health benefits...
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
27!!
I'll never make it!!

I love cucumber water!! I'm sipping on tea . . .

So what can I drink tomorrow night that would be fun?

Any ideas?
Cucumber water???

Is this something you make or buy? What does it taste like?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysilverpatch View Post
if you go by the original book, The Paleo Diet, there are 3 levels. On one you can have 3 meals per week which are 'open' to otherwise forbidden foods. Level 2, 2 meals. Level 3, three meals. Perhaps, you can go this route.
Re/Dipgal
I wonder what the reasoning for free meals is? It sounds like a convenient excuse to avoid breaking bad habits.

I eat this way because it makes me feel good. I don't want to eat foods 2-3 times a week that make me hurt all over.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #65

I'm making beef stir-fry for dinner! It is a treat; I usually just get grass-fed ground beef because it is least expensive but I could not resist the big chunks of lean beef right next to the ground. The veggies are broccoli, cauliflower, onions & garlic. I cook with virgin coconut oil.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #66

I'd love to find bacon I can eat without thinking, "I should not be eating this!" lol...

The health food store cares some uncured bacon but it has that wonderful health food cane sugar. Hormel makes an uncured one but it contains turbinado. I had to Google to find out it is cane sugar, too. Just another way to fake us out.

Quote:
Turbinado sugar is a sugar cane-based, minimally refined sugar. It is medium brown in color and has large crystals. It's often mistaken for traditional brown sugar because of its light brown color, but it's made in a different way. Many people consider it to be healthier than both white and brown sugars, since it is generally less processed and refined.

Health Benefits

Some believe that turbinado sugar is a healthier alternative to other sweeteners because it undergoes less processing, and so retains more of the nutrients found in sugar cane juice. In addition, its method of production makes it suitable for vegans, since no animal byproducts are used. A teaspoon (about 4 grams) contains about 3.5 oz (1 mg) each of calcium and potassium in addition to a negligible amount of iron. A cup (250 g) of this sweetener also contains a measurable amount of magnesium, phosphorus, and sodium.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 01-03-2013 at 01:19 PM..
Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
Deb, I think MK's (Tuscangirl) statement about the weight falling off was meant with a touch of sarcasm.
I've seen sugar free bacon online but its really really pricey! I think I'll just leave it out for the moment or sub proscuitto in small amounts if I really want something wrapped in pork-y yumminess. Our small local market just started carrying a brand of sausages that are all only quality ingredients. I think the brand is mulays, they have a variety of flavors and I was really happy to even see chorizo.

The unsweetened shredded coconut makes a really good salty/sweet/crunchy snack. I found the recipe on a paleo blog, but toss a handful in a small skillet and toast until it starts to brown, then sprinkle cinnamon and a little sea salt and roast a little more. It is calorie/fat dense but it is really tasty.

I'm having a cup of hot tea this afternoon. Its amazing how many herbal or flavored teas have yucky ingredients. So many have added soy.
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: CW 155 / GW 110
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
I think there are many reasons why people choose to do Paleo. While most do Paleo as a lifestyle, I am totally doing the 30 day challenge to lose weight I have done Atkins for 2 years, and this is not a far departure from my old eating habits. I am not looking to loose a lot though, just what I gained over the holidays - I am using this challenge to sort of reset my body and be more kind to it
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #69
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
What diet are you following?
I'm doing Paleo and just trying to rid myself of the toxins and alcohol ~ we had a really fun Christmas break!

Quote:
So now I have a bag of it - Bob's Red Mill - but no idea what to do with it.

They also had big bags of unsweetened, shredded coconut. They also had a low fat version. I guess some people don't want the health benefits...
Kelly had a much healthier idea - my first thought was Paleo macaroons!

Quote:
Cucumber water???

Is this something you make or buy? What does it taste like?
You slice up cucumbers and put it in a pitcher of water. It's really light and refreshing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydawne View Post
Deb, I think MK's (Tuscangirl) statement about the weight falling off was meant with a touch of sarcasm.

The unsweetened shredded coconut makes a really good salty/sweet/crunchy snack. I found the recipe on a paleo blog, but toss a handful in a small skillet and toast until it starts to brown, then sprinkle cinnamon and a little sea salt and roast a little more. It is calorie/fat dense but it is really tasty.
That sounds really

And yes, maybe a touch of sarcasm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug View Post
I think there are many reasons why people choose to do Paleo. While most do Paleo as a lifestyle, I am totally doing the 30 day challenge to lose weight I have done Atkins for 2 years, and this is not a far departure from my old eating habits. I am not looking to loose a lot though, just what I gained over the holidays - I am using this challenge to sort of reset my body and be more kind to it
I definitely need a reset!!!
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning-
Just checking in...
I have my car back so I can run to the grocery store and grab the things on my list.(Yeah!) Still no left overs (even trying to have them) with my 19 y/o son at home from school. That's okay, we're very much enjoying having him home and I wish he could stay longer.

Yesterday's menu-
breakfast-coffee w/ cinnamon, salad with canned crab EVOO & lemon juice
Lunch-bunless burger w/ hot sauce (the boys read all of the condiment ingredients that was the only one that was whole 30 compliant, even the mustard that was on the table wasn't gf) lettuce, tomato, onion (I got the normal side of fries/gravy and the boys ate them)
Snack-applegate farms hotdog w/ mustard
Dinner-(out again) sweet potato fries, roasted chicken, roasted kale w/ grapes & chestnuts with iced tea. (DH & DS15 were happy not to share our favorite appetizer that they ordered to share)

Sounds like several of us had too much food fun over the holidays (me too) I would like to lose some weight, but mostly, I am using this challenge to repair any damage done over the holidays AND re-establish healthy eating habits. I like the paleo WOE but after January I'll continue paleo but be a little less strict and allow a little dairy occasionally and the wine that I really like from time to time too.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Hi all, I don't know how lax you'll tolerate, but I can sure use the paleo support getting back on track, starting today. At this point in time, "whole 30" is not something I think I can manage, but I'd like to join the thread with my own "Primal as possible" challenge, if you'll have me.

I am way, way, way up from going through a bit of "why give a dam?" thinking. I feel and look horrible. Now is the time. I'm going to challenge myself to eat, exercise and live as Primally as possible for the next 30 days.

I've got a big pot of bone broth brewing right now and coconut oil in my coffee to start the day off right.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Hi all, I don't know how lax you'll tolerate, but I can sure use the paleo support getting back on track, starting today. At this point in time, "whole 30" is not something I think I can manage, but I'd like to join the thread with my own "Primal as possible" challenge, if you'll have me.

I am way, way, way up from going through a bit of "why give a dam?" thinking. I feel and look horrible. Now is the time. I'm going to challenge myself to eat, exercise and live as Primally as possible for the next 30 days.

I've got a big pot of bone broth brewing right now and coconut oil in my coffee to start the day off right.

I wondered, too, and was welcomed. It seems to be a set-your-own-level challenge & that is great. Everyone is at different places as far as how far they want to take it. I'm not giving up my coffee for anything & there are probably a few other things in there, too!

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 01-04-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #73

I'm heading back to my health food store in just a bit. My friend there told me they are getting a big shipment of produce today. Kale was on the list ofthings they are getting but I have no idea what I would do with it. I don't want to get it & have it go bad. I am not very motivated to follow recipes that are very involved. Maybe I'll wait & try it another time when I know what I'll do with it...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Speck, welcome! I think most of us are trying to clean the holiday junk out of our system in the way that works best for each of us. I'm doing a whole 30, but its because I know I will do better not allowing myself any room for excuses. My coffee is staying though, but without cream.

Deb, kale has become one of my FAVORITE veggies! You can saute it in some yummy healthy fat and toss in ham or bacon or proscuitto or sausage or leeks or shallots or any number of other things. (its a good asian stir fry ingredient with coconut aminos/sesame oil and other veggies)
You can make kale chips, tear it off of the stems and lightly toss (or spritz) with EVOO (and/or balsamic or other seasonings) and a little sea salt and put it in the oven. I usually bake mine at 300-350 for 15-20 minutes. Most people would probably say I burn them, but I like them a little brown. You might want to play with the times/temps and figure out what you like.
I have an italian wedding soup recipe that has kale as a main ingredient that I adapted to make paleo. (I'll find it and post it for you)
Its good scrambled with eggs too. Some people like it in salads, but I'm not crazy about it that way, but always worth trying to see if you like it.
If you don't use it right away, it will keep for a while either in the fridge or on the counter top in water. (like fresh flowers, trim the stems and put them in a glass of fresh water, you can keep asparagus the same way)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the welcomes!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

I was down half a pound today...but just a bit ago I had to cave and eat a few saltine crackers to settle a VERY upset stomach I feel better now, but am annoyed that I had my first cheat. What do you guys do to settle an upset stomach, without crackers or toast? I just cant imagine eating veggies, nuts or meat when I am sick. Broth or tea would be fine...but what else for food? Any tips are welcome!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and welcome Speck! Do your thing how you see fit, and we are here to support it!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #78
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
I'm heading back to my health food store in just a bit. My friend there told me they are getting a big shipment of produce today. Kale was on the list ofthings they are getting but I have no idea what I would do with it. I don't want to get it & have it go bad. I am not very motivated to follow recipes that are very involved. Maybe I'll wait & try it another time when I know what I'll do with it...
I vote for kale chips too!!

Speck!! I think we've met before!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #79
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug View Post
I was down half a pound today...but just a bit ago I had to cave and eat a few saltine crackers to settle a VERY upset stomach I feel better now, but am annoyed that I had my first cheat. What do you guys do to settle an upset stomach, without crackers or toast? I just cant imagine eating veggies, nuts or meat when I am sick. Broth or tea would be fine...but what else for food? Any tips are welcome!
Congrats on the loss!

I head for carbs with an upset stomach too - it's the only thing that works!

Kelly - I love your recipes!! Keep posting please!!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #80

My friend W convinced me to try both kale & chard! I think it might be pink chard or rose chard or something? Fresh produce so no packaging with info & I forgot to note the official name.

He said to sauté them in olive oil (I'll use coconut oil) with garlic. I'm thinking adding onion would be good, too?

This is fresh - just in this afternoon. Is it OK to wait till tomorrow to cook them? I missed lunch, which was going to be leftovers from last night & I'd like to get that eaten up before cooking more veggies.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #81

Junebug, do you have any ginger or ginger tea?

Baking soda in water is also good. They even have directions on the

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 01-04-2013 at 04:16 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #82

Quote:
Junebug, do you have any ginger or ginger tea?

Baking soda in water is also good. They even have directions on the
lol... I was posting on my iPhone while waiting for an Rx to be filled. This disappeared & I thought this was lost!

I meant to say the baking soda boxes usually has directions for mixing w/water for upset stomach.

If my stomach is upset I don't eat anything.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #83

I did see kale chips at the health food store!

They were in little brown paper bags with windows - not sure of the brand name. They had lots of different flavors. And they cost $7.95 each! There might have been 4 oz in a bag! Goodness. I checked & gold nuggets were not listed as ingredients.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

I made kale chips once... not for me. I've seen the ones for sale at Sprouts and maybe Trader Joe's, and they were sooo expensive!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
Hello Everyone! I am doing the 21-Day Sugar Detox (by the author of Practical Paleo) and was looking for a thread to help along the way. Since it is a Paleo plan, I figured I would join you all here.

I originally lost weight on Atkins 4 years ago, then adopted Paleo about 2 years ago. I've really slipped up over the past few months and my weight is back up several pounds! I need to clean my system out and get back on plan. There are three levels to the Sugar Detox and I am doing Level 2, which allows for a small amount or dairy. I started on January 2 and have stayed on plan.

My biggest issue is portion control!

BTW - I just noticed the talk about kale. I eat TONS of that stuff! I saute' lots of garlic in some fat, then toss in the kale. I add lemon juice and a small bit of broth (to make steam), then put a lid on it to simmer it down until tender. Top with Himalayan salt and pepper. Yum! Sometimes I add strained Pomi tomatoes.

Speck - I too have a big pot of bone marrow broth simmering!

Last edited by Maria527; 01-05-2013 at 07:12 AM..
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm starting my whole 30 over today. DS19 is only home from college for a few more days and he wanted to go to PF Changs last night. I did the best I could, sorta (I could have ordered a salad and asked them to leave everything off of it, but I ordered a normal dish) I stayed gf, but I'm sure there was sugar and soy. So, today is day 1 (#2)
I ended up with a head ache and still have one this morning, so that tells me my body doesn't like it when I feed it things that aren't good for me.

Deb, if your veggies are super fresh, they'll keep for a bit. I'll post the soup recipe I mentioned yesterday at the bottom, soup is a good way to use up slightly less than fresh veggies too.

Speck, I've only bought kale chips once. They are super expensive. I think they are probably something you either like or don't, but I know I don't like them unless they are pretty brown and most people would consider them burnt.

Junebug, I would go for hot tea, seltzer water w/ lemon/lime squeezed in or some fresh ground ginger added. (My kids like seltzer water w/ fresh ground ginger and honey when they are sick) Scrambled eggs with just a little salt/pepper might be okay, home made egg drop soup would be good, if you need some carbs, maybe a mashed or baked sweet potato or butternut squash, broth of course is always good. I know we can't add links here, but from "the clothes make the girl" (squish it together and put the internet ending on it) do a search for feed a cold and you'll get some easy recipes and links to other sites with suggestions for what to eat when you don't feel good.

Maria, welcome! I started with Atkins too, but it was more than 10 years ago...
Paleo seems like a good transistion from Atkins. I love your avatar, are you a tri-athlete?

MK, & Happy Saturday!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Paleo Italian Wedding Soup (adapted from Saving Dinner the lc way)

2 lbs Italian Sausage (this is a lot more than the orignal recipe, but I'm feeding teenage boys & more protein works for active athletic teens)
1-2 small onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 small bunch of kale, chopped
chicken broth (the recipe calls for one can, I don't actually measure, but just pour to the thickness I like, we usually like this soup pretty thick and sometimes I'll adjust the amount of broth as it cooks)
2 zucchini chopped
oregano (about a tsp)
marjoram (about a tsp)
salt (to taste)
red pepper flakes (to taste)

In a large saucepan, brown the sausage over med/high heat. Stir in onion & garlic, cook while stirring until soft. Add the kale and cook about 5 more minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Should be very thick. (If you are eating dairy, this is good with a good grated hard cheese on top when you serve it. The guys always have a crusty bread with it too)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Maria! I know you! We've run into each other here for years. Welcome aboard.

Kellydawne, that soup looks really good. I may have to try it.

I did really good yesterday and am down a pound. If I can get my butt in gear, I want to go to the farmers' market this morning. Maybe I'll get some kale.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #89

Junebug, I hope you're feeling better!

Speck, I hope you found a lot of good things at the farmers market!

Kellydawne, thanks so much! I am going to make the kale & chard for dinner. It will be a late one because lunch was late.

The soup sounds wonderful! I love soup but it has been ages since I made any. I wonder if I can find some sausage without junk added around here....
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Junebug, I hope you're feeling better!

Speck, I hope you found a lot of good things at the farmers market!

Kellydawne, thanks so much! I am going to make the kale & chard for dinner. It will be a late one because lunch was late.

The soup sounds wonderful! I love soup but it has been ages since I made any. I wonder if I can find some sausage without junk added around here....
I was hoping to find some purple cabbage so I could make this kraut recipe, but no one had it. I did get a couple purple sweet potatoes. OK, not low carb, but definitely Primal. I remembered Mark had a recipe called "Primal Purple Potato Salad" using these a while back, and how I wanted to try them. So, even though I'm trying to be very low carb right now, I had to take advantage of the offering. I used one to make chips. They are awesome!! Primal Purple Potato Chips! I will use the other one to make a salad, later in the week. Don't want to overdo it.
I also got some local honey for the kids, a couple of avocados and resisted the hummus and pita chips, so win-win. I got a bee in my bonnet about fermenting, so I did a bunch of researching. I was hoping against hope to find fresh cream, but had to settle for store brand. I'm making cultured butter and will use the resulting cultured buttermilk to make more buttermilk, sour cream and yogurt. I went to the regular grocery store and got the cabbage, etc., to make the kraut. The recipe is called Hot Pink Jalapeno Garlic Kraut and it's gorgeous! I am ridiculously excited about making this fermented foods