Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
I just finished the last of the horseradish mayo that I made over the weekend (the horseradish has soy in the ingredient list) So, the only non-whole 30 things that will pop up before Wednesday are butter/cheese when we go out as a family on New Year's day and an adult beverage or two for the holiday.

For kale chips, I usually just toss the leafy part of the kale with a little EVOO and salt and bake at about 300 for about 20-30 minutes until they are a little brown and crunchy. They will shrink a lot. I think they taste better when I use the pan that we use on the grill for fish or shrimp (you know the kind with holes in it) and I like them hot out of the oven. I don't know if they keep or not because they never last that long. They are fine cooking on a cookie sheet too, but they just seem to dehydrate more evenly on the pan with the holes.
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #32
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I never heard of kale chips before. I'm not even sure if I've ever had kale!
I hadn't until I discovered Kale Chips!
I'll eat just about anything if you turn it into a chip!
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #33
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydawne View Post
I just finished the last of the horseradish mayo that I made over the weekend (the horseradish has soy in the ingredient list) So, the only non-whole 30 things that will pop up before Wednesday are butter/cheese when we go out as a family on New Year's day and an adult beverage or two for the holiday.

For kale chips, I usually just toss the leafy part of the kale with a little EVOO and salt and bake at about 300 for about 20-30 minutes until they are a little brown and crunchy. They will shrink a lot. I think they taste better when I use the pan that we use on the grill for fish or shrimp (you know the kind with holes in it) and I like them hot out of the oven. I don't know if they keep or not because they never last that long. They are fine cooking on a cookie sheet too, but they just seem to dehydrate more evenly on the pan with the holes.
Thanks!!
I have an oven pizza pan with holes in it, so I'll try that next time!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #34
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
I hadn't until I discovered Kale Chips!
I'll eat just about anything if you turn it into a chip!
Are they LC?

I used to eat sweet potato & beet chips but they are history for me.

I'm probably too lazy to make chips. I like to be just about anywhere other than the kitchen!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #35
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Are they LC?

I used to eat sweet potato & beet chips but they are history for me.

I'm probably too lazy to make chips. I like to be just about anywhere other than the kitchen!
Yes, they're LC.

RAW* VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE CHOLESTEROL-FREE GMO-FREE
Ingredients: organic kale, organic mango, organic carrot, organic cashew, organic onion, organic apple cider vinegar, organic ginger, organic lime juice concentrate, organic spices, sea salt, organic mango concentrate.

The mango concentrate is the only thing I don't know about.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #36

They sound good!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: muellermr
Start Date: July 2009
I am a first timer with Paleo, my son just told me about it this week while he is home for the holidays. I would love to join you all and be part of the next 30 days.
muellermr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #38
Princess Proofreader

Bacon wrapped around a date wrapped around an almond is Paleo friendly - right?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #39
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/157/130
WOE: (80/15/5) keto family!
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
yeaitis! Tomorrow is day one for me!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Just got home from our New Years Celebration in Chicago with friends and DH (3 hours away)... Finishing up the remnants of the alcohol as I type, we're having a pizza for dinner - and my Whole30 begins in earnest tomorrow until January 31st... and maybe through 2/5.. I am going on an all-inclusive vacation to Cancun, Mexico on 2/6.

My schedule of exercise and paleo main meals planned for the week is on the fridge. Also on the schedule is my office hours here at home - I have my own business and am not very disciplined!

The grocery list is also made for shopping tomorrow... to substitute for cocktail hour.. infused organic green teas (iced).. infused water with cucumbers, berries, lemon or lines.. veggies for salads, stir fries and more..

Good quality proteins that aren't already in the freezer.

I can do this... you can, too!!

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #41
Princess Proofreader

Can you come and make meals for me too?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #42

Quote:
Bacon wrapped around a date wrapped around an almond is Paleo friendly - right?
Bacon seems to be controversial.

I think it probably depends on whether you are following a specific plan or formulating your own. Some say nitrate free bacon is fine. Some say bacon is not a lean meat so it does not fit.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #43

Judy, WTG with all the planning!

My food is very simple & does not really require much planning other than to make sure I have something on hand.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
DH and I started to convert to Paleo on 12/26. We had been doing well with eating healthy whole foods until about Thanksgiving and we 'allowed' the treats. Mistake. We both gained 10-12 #'s. so we were READY to get back to the basics and decided to go the Paleo way. Lean meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts. So, 1-1-13 we will kickoff the 30day start-up. Glad to have this info here. Looking forward to finally winning this weight issue. DH is pretty much at goal weight. Wanting better health.
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whole 30 day 1 for me...

I need to go to the grocery store. My cupboards are somewhat bare because I have my oldest son home from college AND my husband's car is in the shop so I've been without a car. My DH has been picking up whatever we want/need for dinner on the way home from work, which is okay for the moment since I had stocked up on stuff earlier, but I need to do another big grocery run soon.
Anyway, that means breakfast was not a normal breakfast type meal. I had an applegate farms organic hot dog and a salad along with 2 cups of coffee sprinkled with cinnamon. (the hot dogs are grass fed beef with less than 2% of salt, paprika, dehydrated onion, nutmeg, celery powder, organic spices)

MK, bacon tends to vary by plan. On whole 30, you have to look at ingredients too and if it has any off plan ingredients it isn't legal for those 30 days. Its really hard to find bacon without some sugar of some kind. Proscuitto works well as a replacement though. Otherwise, I think bacon is mostly okay on most paleo plans as long as you don't overdo it. (and bacon wrapped dates are so yummy!)
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

2nd day for us. Breakfast was 2 poached eggs, lean ham and sauted
mushrooms. Lunch was a lean NY strip steak with green salad.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: junebug
Stats: HW 180/CW 138/GW 112
WOE: Atkins72/Stillmans
Start Date: June 2011
Happy New Year friends!

I started yesterday as I planned, and I haven't cheated yet so thats good

Yesterday I had 2 eggs over easy, and one strip bacon (which I have seen various opinions on...seems real bacon is okay or better than turkey bacon/more processed versions). For lunch I had an avocado and some nuts. For dinner I had a moroccan stew with beef, tomatoes, onion, and cinnimon.

This morning I was down a pound, yay!

Today I had 2 eggs again for breakfast, for lunch I had some left over stew. For dinner I am having smoked salmon and some roasted veggies in olive oil.

I have been craving cheese...I was a pro at Atkins...dont really like sweets to begin with, but I am REALLY missing the cheese It was my go to snack and I put it on almost everything. I was really eating too much of it though so this is for the best...at least for the next 28 days, then I will probably add a bit back in.

I am also getting headaches from ditching the diet coke. I have replaced it with tea and black coffee, but alas, my body isn't fooled! Staying the corse...I know these side effects will fade in a few days (fingers crossed).
junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Everybody sounds like they are off to a good start. We started the Pantry Challenge today (trying to stick as close to paleo as possible) and I'm already off track my problem today was too many veggies. I decided to break up that 4 lb. head of cauliflower and make cauli-rice. Well, there was a lot of it. Need to work in using it for Cleo's pizza crust since I was forced to open up some marinara for a dish the other day. One thing leads to another. Decided I needed to process the cabbage for cabbage rolls and then thought- Hey Brainiac, best bake that spaghetti squash and get it on the plate or into the freezer. So, got that done. Oh yeah, dinner tonight is chicken and (paleo dumplings). The dumplings did not set up, so I tossed a giant wad of kale in the pot. Wasn't planning on a 'tini tonight but it sure sounds good right now I will garnish with a slice of rutabaga. Rutabaga???!! I forgot the rutabagas......best go nose around the fridge and see what else is in there.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
I'm glad most of us are doing well.. I am copying and pasting a message I put on another thread:

So, today was my fresh start date. I am wanting to take it to a higher level to Paleo instead of just LC.. and I told myself I was going to be STRICT doing a Whole30 for 30 days beginning today. Which means cutting out dairy, alcohol, legumes, all packaged/processed food, and all grains. Surely I can get a jump start on weight loss and health and do this for 30 days - right??? Uh, wrong.

I was busy all day... brought my own Paleo snacks to a get together this afternoon and did fine... got home a bit ago.. And my brain is totally rebelling about what I can't have! When it comes down to doing it I just don't WANT to give up wine and dairy! I am fine with giving up the carbage, but I don't want to give up some dairy (mostly cheese and HWC) and a glass of wine (or 2) in the evening. Of course I am reasoning with myself to determine which I want more - a healthy body and mind or the food/drink. The truth is I want it both.

I am just coming off of several weeks of stuffing myself with bad food and too much booze. It could be withdrawal, but whatever it is maybe I shouldn't try to do everything at one time. I think it always makes me feel better when I am not doing well to plan what I am going to do. When it is weeks or days away to begin the new WOE I am fine. When it's here as it is today I am totally freaking out!

Okay, so what I think I'll do is keep small amounts of dairy and just wine (no hard liquor) in my diet for a few days as I wean myself off the nasties I've been having in excess. I'll track my intake. I'll see how I feel after a few days and decide if I am really willing to go full Paleo.

Thanks for listening!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipgal View Post
I'm glad most of us are doing well.. I am copying and pasting a message I put on another thread:

So, today was my fresh start date. I am wanting to take it to a higher level to Paleo instead of just LC.. and I told myself I was going to be STRICT doing a Whole30 for 30 days beginning today. Which means cutting out dairy, alcohol, legumes, all packaged/processed food, and all grains. Surely I can get a jump start on weight loss and health and do this for 30 days - right??? Uh, wrong.

I was busy all day... brought my own Paleo snacks to a get together this afternoon and did fine... got home a bit ago.. And my brain is totally rebelling about what I can't have! When it comes down to doing it I just don't WANT to give up wine and dairy! I am fine with giving up the carbage, but I don't want to give up some dairy (mostly cheese and HWC) and a glass of wine (or 2) in the evening. Of course I am reasoning with myself to determine which I want more - a healthy body and mind or the food/drink. The truth is I want it both.

I am just coming off of several weeks of stuffing myself with bad food and too much booze. It could be withdrawal, but whatever it is maybe I shouldn't try to do everything at one time. I think it always makes me feel better when I am not doing well to plan what I am going to do. When it is weeks or days away to begin the new WOE I am fine. When it's here as it is today I am totally freaking out!

Okay, so what I think I'll do is keep small amounts of dairy and just wine (no hard liquor) in my diet for a few days as I wean myself off the nasties I've been having in excess. I'll track my intake. I'll see how I feel after a few days and decide if I am really willing to go full Paleo.

Thanks for listening!
How about limiting your cheese to 2-4 ounces, similar to Atkins induction. And, while I am not sure its part of the Whole30, I do know that the occasional glass of dry wine is permitted via some Paleo sites.

I think it would be better to have very small amounts of these two items, if it means you will otherwise stay on track. Maybe 1/2 glass of wine sipped slowly with a meal...and a slice or two of cheese...and then phase them out into week two? However if you think it will lead to other cravings, or that you wont be able to limit to small amounts - I think it would be better to avoid them all together. I keep telling myself "its just 30 days"...then I can add in my must haves in small portions. We can do this!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #51
Princess Proofreader

I'm on Day 2 . . . and I didn't lose ANYTHING from Day 1.

Isn't it just supposed to fall off?

Anyway, I'm missing my wine too - but I'm going to do as clean as I can for 30 days.
It's not that long, right?

Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm on Day 2 . . . and I didn't lose ANYTHING from Day 1.

Isn't it just supposed to fall off?

Anyway, I'm missing my wine too - but I'm going to do as clean as I can for 30 days.
It's not that long, right?

Yes, the pounds just fall off Can't stop it.
I succumbed to my 'tini last night just to keep me sane. Having a mystery dinner on Saturday night so I need to cook my casserole today as I have a toddler in my midst for the next few days. Appetizers will be antipasti (pretty paleo) and making a lasagna (not paleo), salad (paleo) and an icebox pie (not paleo). I will be ok with the antipasti, salad and red wine, I suppose. Will drink lots of water and have a semi meal before everyone comes I thought the holidays were over.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

if you go by the original book, The Paleo Diet, there are 3 levels. On one you can have 3 meals per week which are 'open' to otherwise forbidden foods. Level 2, 2 meals. Level 3, three meals. Perhaps, you can go this route.
Re/Dipgal
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysilverpatch View Post
if you go by the original book, The Paleo Diet, there are 3 levels. On one you can have 3 meals per week which are 'open' to otherwise forbidden foods. Level 2, 2 meals. Level 3, three meals. Perhaps, you can go this route.
Re/Dipgal
I don't know if I have that one. I have all the cookbooks....off to look.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #55
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jaded58
Stats: 164/134
WOE: Just starting low carb
Start Date: December 11, 2012
Jumping in here as well. I have to clean out the fridge of all the leftovers etc. from Christmas. I also have to get hubby to take all the leftover cookies and chocolates to work. We still have a lot of potato chips here, but hubby will take care of those himself. I have a lot of reading to do. I'm thinking my leftover ham is probably not a whole 30 kind of food, so I'm not sure what to do with that. I also have to figure out what to send with hubby to work for lunch. He is doing the whole 30, even if I don't tell him
jaded58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #56
Princess Proofreader

mamasnooze - I thought the holidays were over too!
We were invited to a friend's house tomorrow for wine and conversation.
Somehow, water and conversation doesn't seem quite as fun!

Mona - I like the idea of open meals, but it defeats the purpose of the the whole 30 for me - if the cravings are there, I'm better off to get back off of sugar etc.

Isn't ham allowed if it's not sugar cured?

Jaded - yep, my DH has tried all my different WOE with me - whether he knew it or not!!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #57
Princess Proofreader

Oh - and I lost .8 last night!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
We were invited to a friend's house tomorrow for wine and conversation.
Somehow, water and conversation doesn't seem quite as fun!
lol no, water and conversation is not as fun

Okay so I am on day 3 and still no cheats (whoop!), and I am down another pound. So far its been a pound a day.

Today I had salmon and black coffee for breakfast, and for lunch some plan chicken with sliced tomato w/ olive oil and pepper. Tonight will be a big bowl of roasted broc/cauliflower flavored with olive oil and garlic. I have been drinking tons of water...today I added some sliced cucumber to jazz it up a bit (livin on the edge).

The crazy cravings for diet coke and cheese have pretty much gone away, and I am not as hungry. I am also not having the headaches I had on days one and two. Feeling pretty good! 27 days to go, lol!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #59
Princess Proofreader

27!!
I'll never make it!!

I love cucumber water!! I'm sipping on tea . . .

So what can I drink tomorrow night that would be fun?

Any ideas?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Day 2-
Headed out to lunch with the college boy in a bit. He wants to go to a local Irish pub. Their salads aren't very good, so it will be a bunless burger with a side of guac since I think that's the only thing on their menu that would be okay.

I'm another person that an open meal or whatever is a slippery slope. One glass of wine turns into 2 with potato chips or chocolate cake or whatever.
I think that's why I like the idea of a super strict challenge.

I like sparkling water (or club soda, seltzer, whatever you want to call it) with a lime wedge or frozen berries in a pretty glass. For whatever reason, the glass makes all the difference. (sometimes even a wine glass) and club soda/limes are usually around as mixers.

I'm staying off the scale for the entire 30 days too. The ups and downs get frustrating anyway.

I still have no car and I still need to get to the grocery store. If DH doesn't get his car back today, I'll ride my bike and pick up just a few odds and ends (like eggs and veggies) I'm hoping I don't have to do that though, eggs in my bike basket isn't always a good idea.

As far as ham being legal, I would think it would completely depend on how it was cured and how it was cooked. My dad pours a can of pepsi over the ham before he cooks it, so that would most definitely be out. I do have proscuitto in my fridge, the only ingredients are pork and salt so that would be similar to ham.