Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Anyone have lots of luck switching from typical LC to Paleo??

So, just a short backstory, I've done low carb (specifically south beach) a few times in my life with good success. This time, I don't know if it's because I am a bit older (26) but I am pretty unimpressed with my weight loss. It is a LOT less weight loss than I previously had in the same amount of time and this time I am being even more strict.

I'm wondering if I should jump on the paleo bandwagon... I mean, the only difference would be not eating cheese and I believe most salad dressings. I could add some nuts and possibly some fruits in to my diet.

Has anyone done low carb before, found it wasn't quite cutting it, and went to paleo with good results?

P.S: I do not eat any artificial sweeteners, no processed foods, etc. All natural whole foods for the most part.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I can't imagine paleo would cause you to lose faster, can you? I don't think that's the point of it.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I recently (2˝ months ago) switched to Primal from 3 years of LC. But I did so for health reasons, not for a miracle weight loss boost. And I haven't lost (actually gained a little) since the switch. So I've learned I CANNOT do honey, maple syrup (even in small amounts) and fruit in greater amounts than when I was doing Atkins LC. Some do lose more on Paleo, both men and women. But I sure wouldn't count on every body responding that way. Mine sure hasn't.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I don't believe Paleo is actually meant to be a weight loss plan.

It is a lifestyle involving natural, whole foods & it results in better overall health. Depending on how one was eating before one may or may not lose weight.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hberi
Stats: 127-127-100
WOE: 4hrbody
Start Date: November 2012
The 4hr body diet is similar to paleolithic .
hberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
Letting go of dairy resulted in the loss of my last 10-12 lbs to goal. It was over several months. That's just my story.
Adding it back in, even occasionally, seems to result in weight gain for me.

Last edited by girondet; 11-06-2012 at 08:04 AM..
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
Letting go of dairy resulted in the loss of my last 10-12 lbs to goal. It was over several months. That's just my story.
Adding it back in, even occasionally, seems to result in weight gain for me.
That is exactly what I have been wondering... I eat quite a bit of cheese (but by no means too much) and my weight loss has been very "meh". I am trying to figure what exactly I need to cut out since my carbs are almost always on goal.

I will be moving to either vegan or paleo after my low carb adventure... so basically dairy WILL be gone.

Maybe I will try LC without dairy? I'm not sure. Just contemplating stuff!
Thanks all.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DanPaleo
Stats: 285/249/220
WOE: Low Carb Paleo
Start Date: May 2012
My switch from LC to Paleo

Letting go of legumes and dairy for me has provided some interesting surprises. Because I have a " background" chronic pain going 24/7, I am acutely self aware of inflammation--and when I let go of the dairy and beans, my inflammation levels have decreased, I can feel this.
I however am still keeping total carbs to a minimum, 20 to 30, and make sure I have adequate protein, and hold the calories to about 2200. Some posts on this site thankfully detail this and I listened to Dr Cordain's podcast about the technical details.
I am 60 years old and really want to continue to lose weight. So I fine tune by snacking on coconut oil straight the can for the MCT. I use to love drinking heavy cream by the glassful, but it made controlled calorie hard to do. So I am ok with giving that up.
All of the websites on the Internet about Paleo really enthrall me, but I realize I am somewhat of a hybrid.
I ate Paleo faithfully today at Thanksgiving and stayed on plan. After eating I was quite full and content-well within my calorie budget.
If I do not lose weight from day to day, that's ok, just keeping my 35 lb loss and feeling so good is an acceptable outcome for me.
If I lose more so much the better, but my success does not depend on it. I have to maintain my perspective, my wife angrily does not support me. She has a 45 BMI and will not give up her WOE. So we can agree to disagree, and I hope to lead by example; I do not get preachy.
I, of course, am not a pro. But the last six months have been life changing for me.
I read voraciously and love these forums!
DanPaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I recently (2˝ months ago) switched to Primal from 3 years of LC. But I did so for health reasons, not for a miracle weight loss boost.
If it's not too personal, could you be a little more specific?
It seems to me that LC is excellent for promoting a healthy lifestyle.
I can't help but wonder what health improvements you discovered with paleo.
I do confess to being fully on board with the evolutionary logic of paleo
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyP
WOE: Paleo Low Carb
I ate lc for several years then switched to paleo last year. I have not seen a drastic weight loss...actually I have not lost any weight in a year (discouraging...) BUT I have dropped sizes all over, have controlled my depression/anxiety better than ever including bouts with medication, reduced inflammation, and increased fitness. It's not a weight loss 'diet'...it's the way I will eat for the rest of my life.
AmyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
If it's not too personal, could you be a little more specific?
It seems to me that LC is excellent for promoting a healthy lifestyle.
I can't help but wonder what health improvements you discovered with paleo.
I do confess to being fully on board with the evolutionary logic of paleo
Sorry, I've been out of town and just read your question. Well of course, I consider LC as a healthy lifestyle. I did it for 3 years and lost 36# on LC. But after reading WHEAT BELLY, I simply no longer want to eat wheat or bake with Carbquick or Carbalose flour (which are wheat based). I only bake with nut flours, coconut flour and flax meal.

I also want to greatly lower the amount of dairy I'm eating. I'm of Native American heritage and have always been a bit dairy sensitive, but not actually lactose sensitive after infancy really. I'm just trying to reduce my cheese and dairy more than LC allows in hope that I can get the last 10-15# off I want to lose, if I can.

I also don't think artificial sweeteners are so good for me, so I'm trying to use stevia exclusively, or wee bits of honey or backstrap molasses, occasionally a wee bit of erythritol in some deserts until I use up what I have on hand. I just don't think I need to be eating so many desserts, as that was a big part of why I became overweight to begin with. I just don't think I can ever eat the way I once did years ago and keep the weight off long term. My dessert of choice now is a simple piece of raw fruit, or bake sliced fruit with spices. That's BOUND to be healthier for me.

These changes in my eating recently just seemed to happen naturally and are very parallel to the Paleo/Primal lifestyle. Though, in reality, I'm actually probably eating somewhere slightly between LC and Primal right now.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mikalama
But after reading WHEAT BELLY, I simply no longer want to eat wheat or bake with Carbquick or Carbalose flour (which are wheat based). I only bake with nut flours, coconut flour and flax meal.

Peggy, a lot of your baked good recipes (which I adore, BTW) use oat FIBER. While this is not, strictly speaking, primal, do you continue to use it?

I too am switching from LC (a decade for me, LOL) to primal and hate to "lose" favorite recipes.
mikalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I follow the Primal Blueprint...it's a lifestyle plan more than anything...and I feel better. I don't do honey or maple syrup except very rarely. I also limit fruit, too, because it's still sugar. I have found that since getting rid of gluten/grains, dairy, nuts/seeds, nightshades (peppers, eggplant, tomato), and alcohol, I feel a LOT better. I was having food sensitivities and constant nausea and some throwing up. My weight loss is beginning to happen again but I also added in exercise, too, which is important for insulin regulation as long as you don't go too hard. Weight lifting is ESPECIALLY good for insulin regulation...far more than cardio.

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote