Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lucy1018
WOE: Paleolithic-no dairy, moderate amounts of fruit
Honey and Fruit on Paleo

So, they say that honey is good if you're going to have something sweet on the paleo diet, so I had some the other day with my baked apple. I guess that's fine, but I wonder if anyone has noticed that fruit/and/or honey stalls their weight loss? Also, should I worry about what kinds of fruit I'm eating? I've started eating bananas and carrots again, which I know are high carb fruits, but the paleo books says their ok. Any thoughts?
Lucy1018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I don't limit which fruits I eat, just the portions. I do it for blood sugar management rather than weight loss, but I'm sure it also helps with that. I also eat carrots and sweet potato and limit the latter. Otherwise it's just non-starchy veggies for me.

Oh yes, honey....I seldom use it, but have on occasion to sweeten something....I like to use banana for sweetening or other fruit, cinnamon, and keep the sweet to a minimum.

I haven't been doing as perfectly paleo lately, though, and the way I feel reflects that. I'm back on track starting now, I mean it!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I did an extended 60 days of Whole30 and found I gained a few pounds consuming fruit, honey and Medjool dates for sweeteners during the second 30 days of my efforts. So I, for one, will not be able to consume ANY those very often.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nicole T
Stats: 193/189/170
WOE: hCG/Paleo
Start Date: 10/7/13
I think if you're actively trying to lose weight, it's probably not a good idea but once you get to a maintenance level, I refuse to believe that anything that naturally occurs in nature (especially raw honey and organic pure maple syrup) can be "bad" for you as long as you aren't eating sweets with every meal.
Nicole T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I am eating fruit in moderation (1-2 pieces per day) and have completely cut out honey and maple syrup. It isn't something I need to have and keeps me craving sweets. Fruit doesn't seem to do that. I exercise moderately 5-6 days per week and am slooowwwwly losing weight again after and 18 month stall. I re-incorporated bananas and sweet potatoes after I found out I have a genetic heart condition that requires a lot of potassium and magnesium. I take supplements and eat foods with it and find that I feel better. It's all about health, right?

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Per Robb Wolf, The Paleo Solution, limit fruit to 1 serving per day if fat loss is your goal. In order of preference, berries, melons, citrus, apples, pears. Bananas, papayas, and mangoes are dodgy for folks who want to lose weight.
Honey and maple syrup are not on his shopping list, but they are accepted as Paleo. Just watch for weight loss.
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
My research says honey is sugar. I believe the bad outweighs the good. I'm not interested in eating sugar.

I received a gift of honey from my brother who has honey bees & I regifted it.

I'm eating almost no fruit right now (once in many months). I seem to have lost interest in it & the organic/pesticide-free ones available to me are very expensive anyway.

For fat-loss I'd stick to one serving only per day of a lower carb fruit & make sure to eat it with some protein/fat.

I use stevia in my coffee & tea. That is my sweet fix.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote