Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Honey and Fruit on Paleo (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/787987-honey-fruit-paleo.html)

Lucy1018 10-30-2012 10:01 AM

Honey and Fruit on Paleo

So, they say that honey is good if you're going to have something sweet on the paleo diet, so I had some the other day with my baked apple. I guess that's fine, but I wonder if anyone has noticed that fruit/and/or honey stalls their weight loss? Also, should I worry about what kinds of fruit I'm eating? I've started eating bananas and carrots again, which I know are high carb fruits, but the paleo books says their ok. Any thoughts?

girondet 11-07-2012 10:52 PM

I don't limit which fruits I eat, just the portions. I do it for blood sugar management rather than weight loss, but I'm sure it also helps with that. I also eat carrots and sweet potato and limit the latter. Otherwise it's just non-starchy veggies for me.

Oh yes, honey....I seldom use it, but have on occasion to sweeten something....I like to use banana for sweetening or other fruit, cinnamon, and keep the sweet to a minimum.

I haven't been doing as perfectly paleo lately, though, and the way I feel reflects that. I'm back on track starting now, I mean it!:o

buttoni 11-09-2012 08:13 AM

I did an extended 60 days of Whole30 and found I gained a few pounds consuming fruit, honey and Medjool dates for sweeteners during the second 30 days of my efforts. So I, for one, will not be able to consume ANY those very often.

Nicole T 12-10-2012 07:26 AM

I think if you're actively trying to lose weight, it's probably not a good idea but once you get to a maintenance level, I refuse to believe that anything that naturally occurs in nature (especially raw honey and organic pure maple syrup) can be "bad" for you as long as you aren't eating sweets with every meal.

juliekaboolie 01-07-2013 12:50 PM

I am eating fruit in moderation (1-2 pieces per day) and have completely cut out honey and maple syrup. It isn't something I need to have and keeps me craving sweets. Fruit doesn't seem to do that. I exercise moderately 5-6 days per week and am slooowwwwly losing weight again after and 18 month stall. I re-incorporated bananas and sweet potatoes after I found out I have a genetic heart condition that requires a lot of potassium and magnesium. I take supplements and eat foods with it and find that I feel better. It's all about health, right? :)

Ladysilverpatch 01-08-2013 09:47 AM

Per Robb Wolf, The Paleo Solution, limit fruit to 1 serving per day if fat loss is your goal. In order of preference, berries, melons, citrus, apples, pears. Bananas, papayas, and mangoes are dodgy for folks who want to lose weight.
Honey and maple syrup are not on his shopping list, but they are accepted as Paleo. Just watch for weight loss.

DiamondDeb 01-08-2013 10:11 AM

My research says honey is sugar. I believe the bad outweighs the good. I'm not interested in eating sugar.

I received a gift of honey from my brother who has honey bees & I regifted it.

I'm eating almost no fruit right now (once in many months). I seem to have lost interest in it & the organic/pesticide-free ones available to me are very expensive anyway.

For fat-loss I'd stick to one serving only per day of a lower carb fruit & make sure to eat it with some protein/fat.

I use stevia in my coffee & tea. That is my sweet fix.