Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JeanneOh
Stats: 264/233/first goal 200 (47 y/o, 5'10")
WOE: Exploring Paleo
Start Date: Every Monday...
Jumping into the Paleo Pool...

Hi, I'm Jeanne, my husband and I are looking into the Paleo lifestyle. I loved Atkins when I did it successfully many moons ago, but neither my husband nor I have done anything successfully lately as far as an eating plan...we just eat...too much...of everything. I've left him alone about eating for awhile, but we both need to get a grip. He mentioned Paleo a couple of weeks back and since he's initiating the idea and showing interest in an eating plan again, I've been exploring things online and it seems a little more manageable than straight low-carb, which surprised me.

I have always loved LCF...more of a lurker (or researcher ) than anything, so I thought I would see what you all say about Paleo... I had planned on asking a bunch of questions about your experiences, but after spending some time "researching" here, all of my questions have been answered!

Thanks so much for all of the information you've provided me already. I'm looking forward to participating and getting to know all of you.

Now I just have to decide which book is best for us...

No matter where I go...there I am...
JeanneOh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Jeanne, welcome. There are several threads in "Other Plans" and sometimes in "The Playground" of folks eating a non-industrial, non-agricultural food plan, as well as in the Paleo sub-forum.

All the best to you.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
Hi Jeanne. You and I are the same age and the same height! Not too many 5'10" women around!

I'm thinking about going Paleo too after years of low carbing. My weight is creeping up for some reason. Best wishes to you and your husband.
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Auntie Em and atcgirl...my fellow Amazonian... We are about two weeks in and are both loving Paleo and learning much along the way. I always forget how much better I feel when I'm not eating processed, high carb junk foods. For me, Paleo seems to be more liberal than traditional low carb. I love being able to eat fruit and a bite of dark chocolate here and there. Didn't really have any "flu-like" symptoms going off sugar, like I always had when doing Induction with Atkins. My constant cravings seem to be gone and I'm feeling more "even" yet energetic, throughout the day. Since I'm doing most of the cooking we're eating simple meals, but today I did a little bit of experimenting since I had the time, and made a chuck roast dish called "Ropa Vieja with Cuban Style "Rice" (cauliflower). My hubby LOVED it and it was a nice change to eat something with a little more flavor. I've not weighed myself, but my clothes are already fitting better. So...it's all good so far...
Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
Clothes are what I go by too. And right now all of mine are tight. I haven't started Paleo yet, but plan on it within the week. Don't know if my weight crawling up is hormonal changes or what. I could use some more energy though, so I'm happy to hear that you feel more energetic! I love chuck roast and your dinner sounds great!
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I'm sure hormones impact it, but for me, along with the whole hormonal thing I was also just eating out of control and needed to get a grip. My biggest worry is the long term...I can do anything temporarily, I just have trouble sticking with things long term. I'm feeling so good though, I'm trying to tell myself that we need to make this change just because of that.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: becky7474
Stats: 284.5/200/170
WOE: IF, Atkins '72
Start Date: Jan. 2012
There is a free Paleo Cookbook on Amazon if you are interested.

The Paleo Diet Solution Cookbook [Kindle Edition]
John Chatham (Author)
becky7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/226/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Jan 1, 2014
Hi Everyone. I am starting the Paleo lifestyle as well and am looking to find like minds.
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I really love the idea of the Paleo diet, but I just can't bring myself to give up certain things. I am so close to be paleo though. If I could just cut out the AS I would probably be considered paleo. I guess when I get ready I'll be able to do it. I've given up gluten totally, I can't eat fruit because of a bladder disease, I eat mostly organic meat. I have gotten several really good recipes on the different paleo sites.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/226/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Jan 1, 2014
I am ok so far. I am not missing dairy. However, I am having carb withdrawal. It's to be expected. I just didnt expect it to hit within the first 24 hours. Thinking of pancakes (I dont even like them) or hot dog buns which is weird because I dont like hot dogs. I'm having a hard time eating enough meat though. Its hard because I've been vegetarian (for health reasons) for some time and it took me years to get out of the habit of eating meat. Now its like torture. I keep wanting to fill up on the veg and slack on the meat. But I'm hanging in there. I am only able to eat 6 ounces of meat at a sitting and only about 15 ounces a day. This is going to be hard. I keep belching meat and I'm like "Ugh!". My husband is like 'OH YEAH!"....he was a forced vegetarian. LOL.

My Journal: Shantony's Journal to Wholeness

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." - Fred Devito

Mini Goal
230lbs by Jan. 31st
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
Been a while since you posted this, but....do you take vitamins? I know that if I don't take my multi I get cravings really bad. If I have my vitamins and a lot of "faux" carb foods, I'm pretty good.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote