Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   I just pre ordered... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/779783-i-just-pre-ordered.html)

QueenBacon 08-02-2012 04:09 PM

I just pre ordered...

"Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle"
And I can't wait for it to come!
That means another strict 30 day challenge soon!

girondet 08-03-2012 09:10 AM

Sounds great. Can't wait to hear what you say about the book:)

PhoebeHerself 08-08-2012 06:45 AM

I've heard amazing things about this book. I'm thinking of getting it, too.

mamasooze 08-08-2012 07:28 AM

Woot!!! Mine is in da mail :jumpjoy: to be delivered tomorrow.

atcgirl42 08-08-2012 08:59 AM

Off to Amazon to check it out!

atcgirl42 08-08-2012 09:07 AM

I ordered it as well. :clap:

QueenBacon 08-08-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamasooze (Post 15857925)
Woot!!! Mine is in da mail :jumpjoy: to be delivered tomorrow.

Mines in the mail also! I pre ordered, it says the 11th but it's only going from NJ to Brooklyn! I hope it gets here sooner!

QueenBacon 08-09-2012 07:44 AM

Still not here yet!

QueenBacon 08-09-2012 05:02 PM

Woohoo it is here

mamasooze 08-09-2012 06:35 PM

Yes. Got it. It's way, way more than a cookbook. Wow. This should be required reading for every family. Need to get my little sticky notes and. Get. To. Work. :)

atcgirl42 08-11-2012 04:42 PM

Got mine today. This book is huge! I'll need a few days to look it over.

QueenBacon 08-11-2012 05:03 PM

I'm totally in love lol

Dottie 08-12-2012 08:19 AM

Kerry I just got it on my kindle and I'm liking the writing style:) Thanks for mentioning it!

I am a bit stuck on her including quinoa with grains, since it's a seed, not a grain.

atcgirl42 08-12-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15866930)
Kerry I just got it on my kindle and I'm liking the writing style:) Thanks for mentioning it!

I am a bit stuck on her including quinoa with grains, since it's a seed, not a grain.

Dottie do you eat quinoa? I have to admit my ignorance; I've heard of it before but wasn't sure what it was. It thought it was a grain too. Is it high in carbs? I've heard it referred to as a superfood, but I don't know what its benefits are.

Dottie 08-12-2012 04:16 PM

I have, not recently though. I didn't have a problem with it. It's the seed of the Chenopodium or Goosefoot plant.
It can be cooked like a grain, so I'm sure that's why people call it a grain.
1/3 cup dry ranges from 27-32g carbs and 3-5g fiber (depends on the color - red is highest fiber).
But that 1/3 cup soaks up liquid and expands, like rice, and makes about 1 cup+ when cooked.
It's a pretty nutritious seed, too:
Quote:

Vitamins

Quinoa is a good source of riboflavin, or vitamin B-2, with 10 percent of the daily recommended intake. One serving of quinoa also provides 6 percent of the thiamin and niacin you need each day. These nutrients help your body metabolize energy.
Minerals

Eat a serving of quinoa, and you consume 20 percent of the iron and phosphorus you require daily. This makes quinoa a good choice for warding off anemia and using proteins stored in your body. You also take in 9 percent of the daily recommended intake of potassium and 2 percent of the calcium you need every day.

mamasooze 08-14-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15867945)
I have, not recently though. I didn't have a problem with it. It's the seed of the Chenopodium or Goosefoot plant.
It can be cooked like a grain, so I'm sure that's why people call it a grain.
1/3 cup dry ranges from 27-32g carbs and 3-5g fiber (depends on the color - red is highest fiber).
But that 1/3 cup soaks up liquid and expands, like rice, and makes about 1 cup+ when cooked.
It's a pretty nutritious seed, too:

I love my quinoa. I have it a few times a month in place of rice or orzo. I like it as a "cereal" too. Warmed with coconut milk and a little vanilla and cinnamon..:heart: I have taken my Mexican quinoa salad to parties and people rave about it: a lime/cilantro dressing with avocados, green onions, (soy) black beans, chopped green chilies, chopped homegrown tomatoes, etc. it's very much a blank canvas. The goodness of the protein in it outweighs the carb count and Mark S. gives it a thumbs up in moderation.

mamasooze 08-14-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry (Post 15866178)
I'm totally in love lol

Have only gotten to browse (been very, very busy and what I've seen I love) but am taking it over to my office place today and for about $5 they will chop off the spine and either spiral bind it or poke 3 holes in it and I can bind it up in a big notebook. Just need it to be more pliable to make notes and to sit up in a recipe book holder thingie :up:

speds 08-15-2012 08:34 AM

I have this book too - so far it's one of the best Paleo books I've purchased (and I've purchased many). The reason Quinoa is not on the list of allowed foods I believe is because of the blood sugar reaction it causes. Even though it's not a grain and its "fairly" low carb it does cause problems in people with gluten sensitivity and it does raise blood glucose levels. Dr. Davis (of Wheat Belly fame - another EXCELLENT book) does not advocate eating it either (at least in very limited used).

portcop01 08-15-2012 01:54 PM

Can any one tell me more!! Can you have dairly?can any post what they eat please.thanks I'll look for book.

speds 08-16-2012 11:15 AM

You can eat some dairy - if you are not strict paleo (primal is kind of "paleo with dairy") but it's limited to full fat dairy and in low moderation. I eat full fat cheese, full fat greek yogurt and full fat cream in my coffee (only the cream is on a daily basis). Others are just occasional use.

Basically I eat all veggies and meats, moderate fruits and moderate nuts. Butter, Coconut and Olive oils as fats. I haven't really ventured into the baking (with nut flours) as of yet -keeping it pretty simple for now.

portcop01 08-16-2012 01:51 PM

Thanks speds,,,,,how long you been doing it?how much weight have you lost? Maybe you can come over to ( other plans ) and join me and kind.( it's clean eatin )

buttoni 08-20-2012 09:24 AM

I just got my copy of Practical Paleo. Finished reading it in 2 days. Very well-written. the first half is extremely well laid out, well written and informative. But the recipe section is AMAZING! Every single one of her recipes sound good enough to try, and I rarely react that way to a cookbook. Usually the opposite. Looking forward to making my way through her recipes!

mamasooze 08-20-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 15885034)
I just got my copy of Practical Paleo. Finished reading it in 2 days. Very well-written. the first half is extremely well laid out, well written and informative. But the recipe section is AMAZING! Every single one of her recipes sound good enough to try, and I rarely react that way to a cookbook. Usually the opposite. Looking forward to making my way through her recipes!

Been so bizzy this last week haven't had a chance to read. I got in bound with a spiral so it's easier to maneuver. Have a chance to read right now, so I'm off to do that. Checking the recipes....:)

Flavia 08-25-2012 02:18 PM

I have the book also and I like it better then any of my other paleo books incl. Fragoso and Sisson's etc.....
I also have her on fb and she puts her recipes up there also.
As far as the quinoa discussion I am one of the ppl that can't eat it. Even though I can eat other seeds......i.e. flax, hemp, chia etc ....