Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Inflammatory foods (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/772076-inflammatory-foods.html)

icecreamjunkie 05-19-2012 01:15 PM

Inflammatory foods

I need some guidance please. I have been wondering about the anit inflammatory vs. inflammatory foods that I keep hearing about. Is there a good all around list somewhere that I am missing?

I will admit that I tried to read Sisson's Blue Print book and I don't know if it was due to brain drain at the end of a school year (teacher) or if I just truly couldn't get into all of the scientific writing ( which, normally I eat information books up!) but I just couldn't get through it!

I am battling edema right now (under a boatload of stress with moving, end of a school year, typical life stuff) and am undergoing blood work to rule out any other problems. I would gladly give up tomatoes and such if it would cause me to quite retaining water! 10lbs in 4 days is a bit excessive! :annoyed:

Thanks so much!

icecreamjunkie 05-21-2012 06:22 AM

Hello??? Any one else here???

I've tried googling inflammatory foods...and it gives me anti inflammatory...those i'm good on! I want to know what to pull from my diet potentially.

Star73 05-21-2012 06:25 AM

It depends on the person and if they have food intolerances, but in general, there are several foods that are inflammatory for most people : Gluten/wheat (read Wheat Belly), dairy, corn and other grains, nightshade vegetables, legumes, and sugar of any kind.

Following a paleo diet can really help with inflammation. Hope this helps :)

icecreamjunkie 05-21-2012 08:19 AM

Thank you so much! I'm pretty good on the no wheat/grain etc...sugar 90% of the time :o I try though....the nightshades...would OF COURSE be my favorite veggies! :(

Star73 05-21-2012 09:26 AM

yw! Nightshades don't bother me, but I know they can cause problems with a lot of people. Something else that is inflammatory for me is MSG. That stuff can cause me lots of problems!!!

icecreamjunkie 05-21-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star73 (Post 15670053)
yw! Nightshades don't bother me, but I know they can cause problems with a lot of people. Something else that is inflammatory for me is MSG. That stuff can cause me lots of problems!!!

Me too! I did find out that the body treats carageenen (sp) the same way as msg of sorts...so watch out for a LOT of foods that stuff is in! I was looking at something the other day that i would have thought was TOTALLY safe...low and behold...it was in there! :annoyed:

Star73 05-21-2012 12:31 PM

eewwww... I'll be on the lookout for that stuff then. Thanks!

QueenBacon 05-23-2012 03:11 AM

Don't forget dairy!

Lori37 05-23-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icecreamjunkie (Post 15669827)
Thank you so much! I'm pretty good on the no wheat/grain etc...sugar 90% of the time :o I try though....the nightshades...would OF COURSE be my favorite veggies! :(

They are my favorites too, when I read about those I thought to myself "what other veggies are there?"

Star73 05-23-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry (Post 15674432)
Don't forget dairy!

It was mentioned above in my first post ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori37 (Post 15674699)
They are my favorites too, when I read about those I thought to myself "what other veggies are there?"

yeah, I love potatoes and tomatoes. I don't care for eggplant so much. I'm just glad I don't react to tomatoes :clap:

williamson_ja 05-25-2012 01:03 PM

Eggs can also be problematic for some people. We had to do the anti-inflammatory version of the diet for my daughter. The nightshade veggies were the hardest. After the first couple of weeks without ANYTHING, I let her try those again and see how it affected her. Turns out, she was okay with those. Still can't have too many eggs... no grains at all ever.... or milk products. Good luck. It worked best for us to take out all the offending foods until she started healing up really well. Then, we added them back in one at a time to be able to better pin point what exactly was causing the most problems.