Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sassychik
Stats: too much/on my way/just right
WOE: <20g/day
Start Date: 7/19/12
New here: Would you help me get started?

Hi all! I'm not at all new to LCF or LC but I've always been an Atkins gal. Then I got really messed up in raw veganism and felt awful, which led me to the conclusion that I had to find what worked best for me. Someone suggested I read more about the paleo woe and I've been spending time on MDA. Seems very close to the conclusions that I had drawn for myself. I need to keep my intake of veggies up (and not be afraid of them!) but my body also requires protein! Beans kill me. Ugh!

anyhow, I'm about to go grocery shopping for the first time and I'm trying to figure out a family meal plan for week 1. Would someone mind offering simple suggestions for what you enjoy eating? What helped you through early on? What you simply have to have in your fridge? Your "go to" snack?

Just so you know, I'm not being lazy and asking y'all to do my work for me I am reading Mark's Blueprint 101, downloaded his 2 recipe books, am reading this forum and scouring the web BUT the groceries need to be bought today because the family is "starving" and I'd like to be prepared. lol so, if you could help this come together a little more quickly, I sure would appreciate it! Thanks!

Kari
sassychik is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: icecreamjunkie
Stats: 295/267/170
WOE: HCG Rx R2/P2 (6 week rounds)/JUDDD
Start Date: Jan 17, 2012 R1/ April 29th R2/ May 12 JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassychik View Post
Hi all! I'm not at all new to LCF or LC but I've always been an Atkins gal. Then I got really messed up in raw veganism and felt awful, which led me to the conclusion that I had to find what worked best for me. Someone suggested I read more about the paleo woe and I've been spending time on MDA. Seems very close to the conclusions that I had drawn for myself. I need to keep my intake of veggies up (and not be afraid of them!) but my body also requires protein! Beans kill me. Ugh!

anyhow, I'm about to go grocery shopping for the first time and I'm trying to figure out a family meal plan for week 1. Would someone mind offering simple suggestions for what you enjoy eating? What helped you through early on? What you simply have to have in your fridge? Your "go to" snack?

Just so you know, I'm not being lazy and asking y'all to do my work for me I am reading Mark's Blueprint 101, downloaded his 2 recipe books, am reading this forum and scouring the web BUT the groceries need to be bought today because the family is "starving" and I'd like to be prepared. lol so, if you could help this come together a little more quickly, I sure would appreciate it! Thanks!

Kari
Hey there Kari! I'm certainly not the paleo expert by any means ( i am coming off an hcg round and do juddd but follow a paleo woe and LOVE IT!) But I can't live w/o my
BPCoffee in the AM (When I have it super rich I don't even miss my half n half anymore)
and on the subject of dairy (some do some don't....depends on how rogue you want to be...at least do organic if you can - no caragenen (sp?) it's icky stuff!)

Chicken thighs and flat iron steak are must haves in my kitchen along with pork side (uncured and unprocessed bacon) eggs!

Cauliflower (sooooo versatile!), broccoli, spinach and kale are staples

Coconut oil, coconut butter and EVOO, and organic grass fed butter

I am kinda boring as that is pretty much the make up of my meals

Those are what keep me going! I scour the internet and check out all the paleo lifestyle blogs and recipe sites! I keep a pinterest board w/ a LOT of recipes that i can go to at a moments notice!

Not sure I helped...but good luck!

icecreamjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Theresa~ Just knowing someone is reading is helpful in itself! lol What is "BPCoffee"?

I just realized there is a FAQ in this forum...I probably should have started there before posting. Thank you for your suggestions. I'm glad to say that most of what you suggested was already on my list!

Yay for you on your weight loss so far!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cuthbert
Stats: 265/199/200
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: December 2010
Been doing this for about a year and found that keeping it simple is best. I don't go the steak route for the most part, but I buy grass fed stew meats since they are cheaper yet since they come from a grass fed/pastured source they are better for me than the best quality grain fed meat, I get what I feel is the best of both worlds. My meat source also has many organ meats on hand for cheap since most folks don't know what to do with them. I get grass fed buffalo liver, heart and kidney at around $4.50/lb and keep plenty of those marrow bones, knuckles and chicken feet around for broths. I do much of my cooking as stir fry. I know that frozen veg isn't the best, but it is the easiest and organic versions are available. If you have time for fresh and locally supplied veg, I whole heartedly encourage it. Learn to rely on your spice rack! Lemon Pepper and Curry are my favorites! Remember to keep your bacon fat in the skillet from breakfast as you might need to brown your meats in something highly stable. It beats having to deplete the coconut oil supply too quickly as the good stuff is kinda pricy! I also recommend that you cook your meat very lightly (including liver). This preserves the nutritional profile of the food and makes those compounds your body needs more available for absorption. If you have digestive issues, take a pro-biotic at least until your body heals up and gets used to what you eat.
My go to snacks are 85% dark chocolate and avocado. I also like strawberries, black berries and blueberries as a grab and go thing.

Necessity is the mother of invention, but laziness is the father. <me>

You can lead a horse to water, but an enema may be required. <me>

If eating fat makes you fat, then what does eating fruit make you?
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

thanks Paul!

I read "organ meats" and felt my gag reflex kicking in Will have to really contemplate that one. lol Thanks for the suggestions!!! I love the quotes in your signature
Old 05-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
Hi Kari,
Not an expert here either, but I went from more of an Atkins point of view to paleo this year. I was almost there anyway with Atkins, just a little too much dairy and AS junk food that had slipped in.

I started with the super strict whole 30 to get the junk out of my system and even added some starchier veggies like the occasional sweet potato and butternut squash and felt so much better. Since then I've added back the occasional quality full fat dairy things like butter and HWC with no problems.

I grab recipes online all the time. Chowstalker has a "whole 30" section that will give you a TON of paleo recipes, I also like Clean Eats in the Zoo, and The Clothes Make the Girl for recipes.

We have an incredible farmers market and I tend to buy fruit/veggies there and I know if its there its in season here. (I get eggs there too and could buy local grass fed beef, but its really expensive and feeding two active teenage boys, well, we tend to eat alot of cheaper cuts of meat...)
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Kelly! I went to the store and just bought enough to get me through the weekend. Figured that would also by me some time to think and plan more (I'm a thinker and a planner! lol) I'm looking forward to this!

Kari
Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you Kelly! I went to the store and just bought enough to get me through the weekend. Figured that would also by me some time to think and plan more (I'm a thinker and a planner! lol) I'm looking forward to this!

Kari
Great! I actually find that 2-3 trips a week to the store fairs better for me! I change my mind too much to do once a week! lol
Especially till you get in the full swing of things and really know your plan and what you can/can't/won't/will eat! Oh, Avocados? I need a whole tree! love them in EVERYTHING!
And I'm with you on the organ meat....it's a texture thing! I actually almost quit a kitchen job because they wanted me to work more on the "meat" section of our menu and at the time (this was 20 yrs ago!) I was devout veggie! DID NOT HAPPEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydawne View Post
Hi Kari,
Not an expert here either, but I went from more of an Atkins point of view to paleo this year. I was almost there anyway with Atkins, just a little too much dairy and AS junk food that had slipped in.

I started with the super strict whole 30 to get the junk out of my system and even added some starchier veggies like the occasional sweet potato and butternut squash and felt so much better. Since then I've added back the occasional quality full fat dairy things like butter and HWC with no problems.

I grab recipes online all the time. Chowstalker has a "whole 30" section that will give you a TON of paleo recipes, I also like Clean Eats in the Zoo, and The Clothes Make the Girl for recipes.

We have an incredible farmers market and I tend to buy fruit/veggies there and I know if its there its in season here. (I get eggs there too and could buy local grass fed beef, but its really expensive and feeding two active teenage boys, well, we tend to eat alot of cheaper cuts of meat...)
I was just treading the whole 30 section yesterday and am totally intrigues by it!
They lost me though on the no organic butter or stevia! My only real addiction now is my bullet proof coffee (BPCoffee) in the am! It is yummy diviness and my breakfast of choice!
Did you find it difficult to give up even the stuff that we normally think of as healthy? such as organic butter and stevia?
I am going to re read all of it again today and see if it makes more sense! I am moving in one month! EEEKKK! But once that settles down I wouldn't mind trying it for 30 days! After 6 week rounds of HCG I can do anything!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Theresa, I did "whole 30" in Jan. and I was eating way too much Atkins legal junk, to the point that my kids were lecturing me about it. (plus other non-lc stuff over the holidays too) Anyway, it was what I needed to get my head in the right place especially the part about staying off the scale for 30 days. I lost 10 lbs in Jan and other than wanting a glass of wine when we had a couple of social events it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
With that said, I do plan dinner M-F and that helps ALOT!
If you want to try whole 30, keep in mind clarified butter (or ghee) is allowed. It was an interesting experiment and there are a ton of online resources.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
One of my main go to foods is chicken drumsticks....AND what could be easier for other family members to grab as a snack?

I just bake/grill up a bunch and keep em in the fridge.

I prefer them over thighs for snacking because they have a handle (I can eat one while driving), and are less greasy, which is better for on the go.

Also, if you do not prefer organs, just keep up your egg yolk consumption.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Theresa, I did "whole 30" in Jan. and I was eating way too much Atkins legal junk, to the point that my kids were lecturing me about it. (plus other non-lc stuff over the holidays too) Anyway, it was what I needed to get my head in the right place especially the part about staying off the scale for 30 days. I lost 10 lbs in Jan and other than wanting a glass of wine when we had a couple of social events it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
With that said, I do plan dinner M-F and that helps ALOT!
If you want to try whole 30, keep in mind clarified butter (or ghee) is allowed. It was an interesting experiment and there are a ton of online resources.
PERFECT! If i can have clarified butter then i am good to go! lol Is it bad that my biggest concern was what on earth i was going to put in my coffee? Though I guess i could put in coconut cream! lol, i forget about that!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cuthbert
Stats: 265/199/200
Start Date: December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
One of my main go to foods is chicken drumsticks....AND what could be easier for other family members to grab as a snack?

I just bake/grill up a bunch and keep em in the fridge.

I prefer them over thighs for snacking because they have a handle (I can eat one while driving), and are less greasy, which is better for on the go.

Also, if you do not prefer organs, just keep up your egg yolk consumption.
Liver is awesome!
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not much for organ meats either, can't seem to get past childhood associations in my head.

My biggest whole 30 concern was what to put in my coffee too. I started the month adding coconut cream and now I actually like it better black but with just a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert View Post
Liver is awesome!
funny story....mom used to FORCE feed dad and i liver & onions (i was traumatized by the texture & idea). Well after 20 yrs dad FINALLY started developing a taste for it....about the same time mom's tastes changed and now the smell makes her ill! Go figure!

Quote:
I'm not much for organ meats either, can't seem to get past childhood associations in my head.

My biggest whole 30 concern was what to put in my coffee too. I started the month adding coconut cream and now I actually like it better black but with just a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
I just made some and before i put in my organic hnh (down day so no butter ) and it wasn't bad.....but i had stevia and capella drops (boston cream pie + coconut macaroon coffee! )
HOWEVER....I am not certain i want to give up my stevia!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
A great Paleo dessert if you have a craving....
1/2 cup cold canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix!)
1 packet stevia
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
then drown it in unsweetened almond milk

so good!
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HypoGirl
WOE: Paleo Diet
Start Date: 9/19/2011
Highly recommend reading Loren Cordains Paleo book as well as Robb Wolf's. Great meal suggestions in there. Basically - meat, veggies, fruit. You can't go wrong. Keep it simple when you are starting out. No dairy, no grains/rice/legumes. Good luck - it was tough for me the first week but now I'm loving it!
HypoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HeartBelly
Stats: 175/150/140
Start Date: June 27, 2012
Tassimo Cappicino

Hello, Does anyone know if Tassimo Cappuccino is only 3 carbs as stated on the pkg. or is there some hidden something somewhere? I hope not, as I really enjoy a cup in the afternoon.
HeartBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nicole T
Stats: 193/189/170
WOE: hCG/Paleo
Start Date: 10/7/13
Quote:

Kari
These Paleo Pads might help you quite a bit Home
Nicole T is offline   Reply With Quote