Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   My daughter's success update (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/771213-my-daughters-success-update.html)

williamson_ja 05-11-2012 10:00 AM

My daughter's success update

So, I've posted before that we started doing this diet for my 14 yr old daughter's health. She didn't need to lose weight or anything. She had a lot of other health problems. Some of her health problems were: severe asthma, severe eczema, tons of food allergies (new ones almost every week), stunted growth (probably from her medications), lack of energy, bags under her eyes, acne, etc.

She has been on the diet for 4 weeks and we have seen AMAZING progress. She went from using her inhaler an average of 3-4 times per day and the nebulizer every night around 3 am to not needing her inhaler for a whole 2 weeks! All of her food allergies have disappeared. She had been allergic to mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. She would swell up and have to take an allergy pill right away or we would end up in the ER. In one month, she's grown 1 1/2 inches. I could hardly believe that. She kept telling me that she was feeling achy, but I just chalked it up to yucky detox feelings. Apparently a lot of that was growing pains! She has far more energy than before. The last thing for us has been the eczema. We are just now starting to see progress with that. Her acne has cleared up, but she still has eczema, although it's starting to look better.

All in all, I think this has been amazing. I decided to do it with her for support and because I actually DID need to lose weight. I feel great and have lost about 12 pounds this month. :jumpjoy: Just thought I would share some of the other benefits to Paleo eating and our success with it. Hope everyone has a great day!

girondet 05-11-2012 11:26 AM

That's fantastic!!!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

I have autoimmune issues that have been helped by paleo as well. Most other eating plans don't address autoimmune.

Lori37 05-12-2012 08:15 AM

WOOOHOO! That's amazing!
I truly believe that we are all meant to eat this way, and a lot of the health problems people suffer are from eating processed foods.

This is fantastic! Keep up the good work and keep going Paleo!

KyliesMom 05-13-2012 12:23 PM

Awesome! and there is a good post you might want to read =)

ThePaleoMom: Modifying Paleo for Autoimmune Conditions (i.e., The Autoimmune Protocol)

juliekaboolie 05-18-2012 03:51 PM

That is wonderful! What a great thing you are teaching your daughter: how to heal using natural resources. So cool!! :)

momsquared 12-29-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamson_ja (Post 15648170)
So, I've posted before that we started doing this diet for my 14 yr old daughter's health. She didn't need to lose weight or anything. She had a lot of other health problems. Some of her health problems were: severe asthma, severe eczema, tons of food allergies (new ones almost every week), stunted growth (probably from her medications), lack of energy, bags under her eyes, acne, etc.

She has been on the diet for 4 weeks and we have seen AMAZING progress. She went from using her inhaler an average of 3-4 times per day and the nebulizer every night around 3 am to not needing her inhaler for a whole 2 weeks! All of her food allergies have disappeared. She had been allergic to mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. She would swell up and have to take an allergy pill right away or we would end up in the ER. In one month, she's grown 1 1/2 inches. I could hardly believe that. She kept telling me that she was feeling achy, but I just chalked it up to yucky detox feelings. Apparently a lot of that was growing pains! She has far more energy than before. The last thing for us has been the eczema. We are just now starting to see progress with that. Her acne has cleared up, but she still has eczema, although it's starting to look better.

All in all, I think this has been amazing. I decided to do it with her for support and because I actually DID need to lose weight. I feel great and have lost about 12 pounds this month. :jumpjoy: Just thought I would share some of the other benefits to Paleo eating and our success with it. Hope everyone has a great day!

This sounds a lot like me and my daughter - too bad it took me 40 years to figure it out in my case and 7 years in my daughter's case.

For me I think the biggest culprit is dairy, but I think wheat/gluten is no help. MY daughter is gluten free and can actually go to the bathroom without be hospitalized every 6 months, lost the under eye circles, and her overall personality just seems more upbeat. Its amazing the impact food has on our systems.

girondet 12-31-2012 07:07 AM

Thanks, Kim for the paleo mom link. It looks good. I am struggling to get back to where I was paleo wise, as I let some dairy and gluten free grains back in my diet over the last few months. I had some weight gain and definitely do not feel as well, so I'm looking forward to remediation. You'd think a person with autoimmune issues wouldn't let this happen.

Tomorrow is the day I get really strict, although I have been better anyway for a couple of days:)