Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Paleo or Primal eating - what is exactly allowed?

Can some one point me to a source that really gets into details of what is allowed and WHY ?

I get that its focused on meats, veggeis, and natural unprocessed stuff in general.

Somethings I dont understand..
Why are milk or milk products not allowed? The best explanations I can find are "many people are intolerant" (so if you aren't lactose intolerant is it ok?) or "a caveman wouldnt haul a cow around with him" (I think the caveman references are adorable.... but nutritionally speaking, why would milk sugars be any worse than fruit sugars, since fruit is allowed?)

Also, why is coconut milk (processed in a can) preferred over milk straight from a cow, when that would seem more natural?

It seems like bacon is allowed. I see sausage showing up frequently in recipes. Are deli meats allowed (like my favorite boarshead turkey breast!)

What is the deal on sweeteners? I seems like they are frowned upon, but i do see them showing up in recipes. But then other people use maple syrup or honey or fruit juice (which seems awefully "sugary", even if its natural)
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
There isn't one simple answer to this question, unfortunately. Different proponents allow different foods, for various reasons. Just like in low-carbing, there are broad similarities in what foods are "allowed", but each individual has to make their own decisions, often based on trial and error as well as theory.

If you want to start digging into the morass of differing opinions, have I got the site for you!

If you google "paleodiet" (including the quotation marks) you should be able find a site about paleo, primal, caveman, stone age, etc., diets. This site is a wealth of information and a very detailed guide to all things Primal and Paleo.

Have fun!

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
What she said.

Sort of like saying "low carb" means different things to different people, and there are numerous versions of it. You might want to head over to Marks Daily Apple website and see what Primal Blueprint is all about. From there you can explore other "paleo" options, as there are specific books and "plans" out there under that name as well.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
With readily available modern foods, The Paleo Diet mimics the types of foods every single person on the planet ate prior to the Agricultural Revolution (a mere 500 generations ago). These foods (fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and seafood) are high in the beneficial nutrients (soluble fiber, antioxidant vitamins, phytochemicals, omega-3 and monounsaturated fats, and low-glycemic carbohydrates) that promote good health and are low in the foods and nutrients (refined sugars and grains, saturated and trans fats, salt, high-glycemic carbohydrates, and processed foods) that frequently may cause weight gain, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and numerous other health problems. The Paleo Diet encourages dieters to replace dairy and grain products with fresh fruits and vegetables -- foods that are more nutritious

As for Primal, I know some add limited dairy. Those on Paleo eat bacon, some do not.

"Eating fat and protein?Go figure!." -
Lora

LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I will google the "paleodiet" , thanks

I was looking for something more definitive. For eg, Atkins has his set of induction rules. People may change Dr Atkins rules to suit their own needs, but his original plan does exist and he gives his opinion on things like cheese and sweetners.

I was trying to find the original intent of the people who created the diet plans.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KyliesMom
Stats: 180/185/135
WOE: Atkins with eventual trans to Paleo
Start Date: 7/23/14
Paleo.... I prefer pork ends... No Nitrates =)
KyliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Hi Strawberry!

If you check out Mark's Daily Apple on the web, it should help you get started with this WOE. He is the author of The Primal Blueprint, the plan that allows some dairy. Robb Wolf, the author of The Paleo Solution, has a website, too, at Robbwolf. With the Paleo diet, he advocates NO dairy and limited fruit. Actually, both authors advocate limited fruit because of the sugar and no fruit for weightloss. I think the beauty of these diets is the emphasis on non-processed foods. I don't think there's anything gimmicky about that. They also both advocate for natural movement: climbing, sprinting, etc. and lots of sleep and rest. It isn't JUST about the food but about the way to lead a balanced life and the science behind that for the skeptical. They both discuss the benefits of intermittant fasting as well. I highly recommend you check out those websites and considering buying the books. The trend towards this WOE is catching on at lightning speed and science is beginning to catch up and support it.

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I can't link to it because the page contains ads, but if you google "primal blueprint food pyramid", you'll get to a very useful diagram created by the guy who created the primal concept. That food pyramid tells you exactly what's ok to eat and in what quantities. Eat less of the "moderation foods" if you're trying to lose weight.

Primal allows dairy, nuts, some fruits, and some tubers, all in moderation. Grass-fed meats, veggies, and good fats (coconut oil, grass-fed butter, some olive oil) are the core foods, just like with Atkins.

Last edited by tiva; 04-30-2012 at 10:06 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
In my simple mind, paleo and primal are basically low carb without the hormones, pesticides, and processing.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gladee88er
Stats: 240 / 173.1 / 165
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
In my simple mind, paleo and primal are basically low carb without the hormones, pesticides, and processing.
That's kind of how I see it Rich. I am trying to cut out most dairy, but I'm still going to have cream, butter, greek yogurt, and almond milk. The almond milk and greek yogurt will be in moderation. I just need to start on the grass-fed beef, free-range chickens and eggs, and organic butter and cream before I'll feel right saying I eat Primal.
gladee88er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/161/130
WOE: lchf/paleo/primal/keto
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Google the whole30, or Robb Wolf paleo diet solution.
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote