Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rosaphile
Stats: 250/175/140
WOE: Primal low-carb
Start Date: December 2011
Picky preschooler

I'm wondering if any of the primal moms have suggestions for getting a picky just-turning-4yo to make the switch. He is addicted to lemon-lime soda (from Soda Stream - it is, arguably, marginally better than Sprite, but not by much) and chocolate. He is not willing to try new things, and when he does, he rarely likes it. He wouldn't even try almond butter with his apple slices the other day, instead of peanut butter.

So far my strategy has been to offer him the good stuff and just not buy more of the bad stuff when we run out, and to stand my ground when he complains about it or asks for sugary snacks when I am forced to take him grocery shopping. I am trying a lot of new things and taking heed when I hit on something he does like (such as Mark Sisson's lamb meatballs, made with beef instead). I am getting a little worn down by his screaming and fussing, and, I'm ashamed to admit, I am petrified of taking away his soda. I am very reluctant to replace the soda with sugary fruit juices, but that's the only thing I can think of that he would accept to any degree.

I have thought about gradually reducing the amount of drink mix that goes into the sparkling water to make the soda, until there is such a nominal amount that he can make the switch to sparkling water. What a tedious process that sounds like. I'm open to suggestions!!!
rosaphile is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Funny you should ask....

Google "Eat Like A Dinosaur" - a paleo kid cookbook coming out soon.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rosaphile
Stats: 250/175/140
WOE: Primal low-carb
Start Date: December 2011
AWESOME. I've preordered it! Thanks!!
rosaphile is offline   Reply With Quote