Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   coffee (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/759288-coffee.html)

rg86gg 02-24-2012 09:39 AM

coffee

Help..... I love coffee, but with lots of heavy cream. I am now going dairy free and I have tried coconut milk but not so good. Does anyone have any suggestions for this.? Thanks

tttmom 02-24-2012 10:56 PM

Sorry. I wish I could help you, but I've tried all of the non dairy creamers including coconut and almond milk in my coffee. Didn't like any of them. It took me about a week, but I just got used to drinking it black with either a pinch of sugar, or a little stevia. Maybe give it a try for a few days, and see it you can start to enjoy it that way?
Good luck to you!

rg86gg 02-25-2012 07:06 AM

Thanks, you would think there would be something good to use Coffee. I LOVE COFFEE. But I have to say I also love the the whipping cream that I was putting in it.
I'm also working on Clean Primal. But I'm trying to do no dairy because of allergies.
I'm down one good week. Very hard. I think harder than giving up the sugar in the beginning. Good luck on your journey. If you do come up with anything, let me know. Thanks again
Geri

happyladi 02-25-2012 06:10 PM

Heavy Whipping Cream Lovers Unite!

I am so glad to see this question asked! Started Paleo a week ago, went dairy-free and wow---found out I've had a raging allergy to the stuff. Feel so much better. For a long time I've dealt with feeling like I was choking from all the, umm, how do I put this delicately? Oh just say it...snot, always in the back of my throat. Oh it's so nice to be able to breath thru my nose. Any way, I don't know if I should or for that matter how, but I found a recipe for a non-dairy substitute for heavy whipping cream.

1 Can Coconut Milk
1 large egg
2 Tablespoons Coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Just dump everything into the food processor and blended until a bit frothy. And it turned out to be the perfect replacement for HWC.

I did not think of this myself. It comes from a blog "Following My Nose". Under the original recipe she posted, she answered some questions, and yes she keeps it in the fridge, but so far, she's used it all up before it's had a chance to go bad. I'm trying this in the morning.

girondet 02-26-2012 05:03 AM

I tried the recipe above and liked it. It's a smoother taste than plain coconut milk. Finally, this morning for the first time in 5 months of using coconut milk in my coffee I have decided that I prefer it to cream, although this morning it's just plain coco milk, not the recipe...I'm lazy...but the point for me is just the powerful strength of habit becomes preference...:D

rg86gg 02-27-2012 06:52 AM

Thanks for the help on this. I will give it a try.

mamasooze 02-27-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyladi (Post 15445875)
I am so glad to see this question asked! Started Paleo a week ago, went dairy-free and wow---found out I've had a raging allergy to the stuff. Feel so much better. For a long time I've dealt with feeling like I was choking from all the, umm, how do I put this delicately? Oh just say it...snot, always in the back of my throat. Oh it's so nice to be able to breath thru my nose. Any way, I don't know if I should or for that matter how, but I found a recipe for a non-dairy substitute for heavy whipping cream.

1 Can Coconut Milk
1 large egg
2 Tablespoons Coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Just dump everything into the food processor and blended until a bit frothy. And it turned out to be the perfect replacement for HWC.

I did not think of this myself. It comes from a blog "Following My Nose". Under the original recipe she posted, she answered some questions, and yes she keeps it in the fridge, but so far, she's used it all up before it's had a chance to go bad. I'm trying this in the morning.

I use this recipe and really like it...I have used it also for "ice cream". After it's whipped up (I use my Vita Mix) then add some stevia sweetened chopped strawberries (or blueberries, etc) and bump it a bit. Pour into a bowl and freeze. Voila-coconut strawberry ice cream. I took it out too soon one time and Voila-gelato :laugh:

I made some 5 days ago and have been out of town. We shall see if it's good tomorrow morning.

rg86gg 02-28-2012 06:34 AM

Love the idea of turning this recipe into ice cream.. Going to try it soon.
Thanks again.

dasiey 02-29-2012 05:27 PM

I would love to try this but I can't stand the thought of eating eggs not cooked..

rocketmom 03-10-2012 06:24 PM

google bulletproof coffee...sounds and seems weird but I am in my fourth day of making it and it is delish. Made me a believer!

I do not spend mega bucks on mold free coffee beans and use my plain old Dunkin' Donuts stuff, but it hits the spot and it keeps me going without hunger. I don't use the amount of butter quoted in the original recipe, I use 1 tbl butter(must be salt free) and 1 tbl coconut oil.

tiva 04-18-2012 06:32 PM

I just ran into the kitchen and tried the coconut milk-version. It's remarkable! I needed to add a little more vanilla and a little z-sweet because my coconut milk was a nasty brand. But still--not as yummy as heavy cream, but good enough for dairy free days.

buttoni 08-31-2012 07:10 AM

I've been using coconut cream (also called cream of coconut) in my coffee and find I like it better than coconut milk.

rg86gg 08-31-2012 07:37 AM

Thanks for the recipe for the coffee cream. Sounds great. I'm going to try it right away. Geri