Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over40
Stats: 200 to 170/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Every other day
Bulletproof Coffee???

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I came across bulletproofexec and the folks there are into paleo dieting, big time. One of their brain boosters is "Bulletproof Coffee" which is a cup of coffee whipped with 2 tbs. of salt free butter (grass fed butter if you can...). Has anyone tried this confection?
Over40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Hubby makes it and drinks it all the time, but uses regular coffee. It's my opinion that this guy has come up with this recipe in order to sell coffee, since that's his main product (he makes a big deal about regular coffee having mycotoxins, and of course, **his** doesn't). I haven't tried it myself, but I think most of the "benefit" is in its placebo effect, since coffee is in NO WAY paleo, anyway :-)
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

No, coffee is certainly not Paleo...I made a cup this morning with Folgers Crystals. I have violated that which is sacrosanct, I know. I'm not sure I am bulletproof, but I did feel a bit more awake in the shower. One of the draw backs was blending the 2 tbs. of butter in at refrigerator temperature. The whole experiment ended luke warm. I'll melt the butter first next time and then blend.

And, not only has he found a way to sell expensive coffee, but he sells incredibely expensive protein powder as well.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over40 View Post
No, coffee is certainly not Paleo...I made a cup this morning with Folgers Crystals. I have violated that which is sacrosanct, I know.
Tee hee.....I use Via. It truly is the only good instant coffee out there. Of course, it's so expensive it had darn well better be good! And for brewed coffee, I haven't found anything better than Westrock's Choco-Latte, available at Walmart, of all places.

I think this Bulletproof Executive is just riding the paleo wave, yanno?
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Money can be made anywhere, you just need to think of a project before someone else does.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rocketmom
Stats: 320/189/160
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 3/23/2013
I am on my fourth day of starting my day with a bulletproof cup. I don't use mold free beans, just my fav Dunkin Donuts and I certainly don't use the amount of butter the inventor uses...1 tbl unsalted grass fed butter and 1 tbl co. Very good...smooth and creamy.
rocketmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: speds
wait...you put butter in your coffee? Does it change the taste? I'm all for Paleo but I'm NOT giving up my coffee. There are just a few things in life I'll dig my heels in on and that's one of them. (I don't drink a ton - just in the AM and occasionally one in the afternoon at work). This butter thing has me curious though...
speds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (52, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 9/5/14
Give it a google!! Lots of very interesting information on the site and forum. I know, it may sound like a marketing ploy, but there is a lot more to it than putting butter in coffee...which I will be trying for the first time tomorrow morning. Definitely some extensive research going on over there along with a lot of folks sharing their experiences in the comments.
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: speds
I did it - not sure I can say I liked it to make it worth the effort (blending it after brewing). It tasted a little weird to me but I tried it with the butter and the MCT. Maybe I'll try leaving out the MCT.
speds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslynne
Stats: 240/230/140 (52, 5'4", small frame)
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 9/5/14
Maybe try coconut oil instead of the MCT. I haven't received my MCT yet, so I'm using 30g. co and 30g. unsalted kerrygold butter. 2 cups of coffee and blend! This recipe holds me until lunch around 2. I've been drinking 1/2 in the morning before 7 and the rest around 11.
goddesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
Has anyone tried this with regular unsalted butter? I'm struggling to find the grass fed kind......
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
Nevermind. I bought some organic unsalted butter and tried it this morning with my regular Colombia coffee, 1tbsp butter and 1tbsp CO. It was delicious, and very satisfying........
SharonB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
I start most days with an iced blended coffee drink with egg, whey protein, gelatin, and MCT oil. Not really paleo.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
This does not tempt me at all. Way too much work for me - but if Starbucks adds it to the menu I might try it.

I'm going to stick with adding stevia only to my coffee.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hberi
Stats: 127-127-100
WOE: 4hrbody
Start Date: November 2012
I'm on a diet similar to the paleolithic, and I have been looking everywhere for coffee aid.
First, I tried going black. Couldn't hang in there. Ive been cheating with one little pack of sugar substitute in the morning. I cant have dairy or sugar. Ideas?
hberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Coffee isn't Paleo, but it isn't bad for you, either. Research has proven that. I drink my own version of Bulletproof coffee using full-fat coconut milk and a spoonful of coconut oil whipped in. Works for me and is filling, too!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
-db
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: -db
Stats: 207/189/175
WOE: Paleo/Low Carb
Start Date: 1/14/13
I had my doubts about the whole coffee/butter thing, but I'm always willing to try something new so I gave it a shot. I have not bought his coffee yet, but will eventually to just try it. I normally by locally roasted non-blended beans anyway.

I did switch from my normal Sumatra beans to Guatemalan which he says is the next best thing to his coffee.

I have used unsalted KerryGold and unsalted Organic butter. I do notice a taste difference between the two and prefer the KerryGold, but it is over twice the price.

MCT Oil, I have been using the NOW Sports brand. I have not looked for other options on this yet.

I use 12oz brewed coffee, 2 TBS butter, 1.5 TBS MCT oil.

Warm empty coffee mug in microwave, add butter to mug to melt, once melted add MCT and coffee and mix with whisk (I just ordered the little battery powered drink mixer).

I make 2 mugs like this, having the 1st one around 8am and the other around 11am then lunch around 1-2pm.

The best part about this is the fact I no longer have the need to eat anything until lunch. I don't like having to deal with eating in the mornings. I can't say that I "feel" much different than before though.

I can't make any claims about weight loss as I started cutting carbs and "fake food" the same time I started the coffee, so I have lost weight just do to change in eating habits.
-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

It looks like some are using this coffee as a breakfast substitute. I didn't think you should skip meals. Does the fat in the coffee help replace a meal?
wifetoEdmotherof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Let me add to my comment a while ago that although at the moment I am not drinking coffee, gave it up for Lent, that i have been using the chocolate bombs and I understand now how you can substitute this for a meal. I am sure that this coffee must be as filling as the chocolate bombs.
wifetoEdmotherof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I don't substitute it for my meal. I use it as the fat for the meal I'm eating. I drink it with a meal consisting of a palm-sized portion of protein and 2 veggies.
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aiya
Stats: 220/192.8/180-174
WOE: LCHF/NK
I have one cup of BP coffee every day in the morning.

BP Coffee with 2 - 3Tbsp of Kerrygold unsalted butter and 2T of MCT oil.

I've been doing it now for about 5 months. I IF till dinner and have no hunger pangs or such, but I am LCHF also, it replaces what I would have had for breakfast if I ate. I don't think it's "skipping" a meal per se, as it's about 500kcals of pure fat. So if you're rocking a HF WOE then it's a meal.
Aiya is offline   Reply With Quote