Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Support Thread for Limiting Use of Electronic/Electric devices and getting more sun

Mark has several posts on light, sleep, eyesight, etc., and not looking at electronic devices too much. Even limiting use of electric lights, using sunlight for reading, or candles and oil lamps.

Here is the closing section of "The Modern Assault on Eyesight Health": (can't post a link due to the ads there)

We’re designed to look out across a vast savannah, not be limited to the dimensions of a living room, let alone a smartphone screen. Clearly, we need to expand our visual horizons.

As is so often the case, living as close as we can to our genetic expectations goes a long way toward countering the strains of modern patterns and supporting our inherent functioning. Eating Primal, getting sunlight, staying active, and enjoying a visual life of distant, outdoor scope all become part of a more natural, Primal kind of prescription for maintaining the best eye health we can.

What I'm up to in this area of getting healthier: No tv, computer limited to 2 hours per day (during daylight hours). Taking a break from watching videos. Sunlight outside for at least 20 minutes per day. Very dark sleeping room and eye cover for sleeping.

Here's to supporting each other in living more healthfully.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 02-15-2012 at 06:54 AM..
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Got your back Auntie Em. Came home, went right upstairs. No iPad, no tv, no phone. Very nice, quiet afternoon thanks to you.

Will keep the savannah in mind.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Mamasooze. How nice to have company in this challenge. It is so nice to read a book with light shining through the window, or to sit outside and read. No radio, no electric lights glaring and buzzing.

Even though it can be a bit tedious to go somewhere to use the internet, I am very glad I got rid of it at home.

Spring gardening work is coming up soon, which is one of my favorite ways to get sunshine and exercise. I also find it regenerative and strengthening, mentally as well as physically.

I sometimes think of my grandmother making soap outside, doing laundry outside, churning butter outside, hanging up the washing outside, etc. The mail got delivered in the morning and in the afternoon. Folks could ask questions by morning mail, or send invitations for the evening, and receive a reply in the afternoon mail. I find that especially nice to think of.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Hi, Mamasooze. How nice to have company in this challenge. It is so nice to read a book with light shining through the window, or to sit outside and read. No radio, no electric lights glaring and buzzing.

Even though it can be a bit tedious to go somewhere to use the internet, I am very glad I got rid of it at home.

Spring gardening work is coming up soon, which is one of my favorite ways to get sunshine and exercise. I also find it regenerative and strengthening, mentally as well as physically.

I sometimes think of my grandmother making soap outside, doing laundry outside, churning butter outside, hanging up the washing outside, etc. The mail got delivered in the morning and in the afternoon. Folks could ask questions by morning mail, or send invitations for the evening, and receive a reply in the afternoon mail. I find that especially nice to think of.
Wow..was just daydreaming yesterday about what I'll be doing in my garden in the next few weeks. That is my exercise of choice--I'm a gardner gone wild. It is terrific exercise. I knock myself out for weeks doing it.

I often think of my grandmothers and how hard they worked...no clothes dryers, no automatic clothes washers, dishwashers. They kept gardens, took care of the sick and elderly. And always marketing, cleaning, mopping. Always on the go-go. I was a kid and they exhausted me. Also remember their power naps in the afternoons. Lord, they needed it. And they didn't have time to "exercise". Their lives were an "exercise".
Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2004
The idea of gazing and seeing far away resonates with me. I live on a golf course built on a canyon,with many walking trails nearby. My favourite trail leads to a ridge on the canyon where I can look towards a huge lake about 20km away. I can feel my eyes stretching as I gaze out. It felt a little uncomfortable the first time or two,but now feels wonderful!
shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

MS, their lives were definitely exercise, goodness! Hooray for rests.

Shoo, where you live sounds beautiful. I really, really enjoy looking across landscapes to the horizon.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thought about this thread a lot this last week...like every time I sat down with a book I thought "Shouldn't I be opening the blinds for natural light?" The answer was yes and did do it a few times when sun was shining (had a lot of rain here lately). But have had a hard time putting down the electronic devices. I have a deadline to meet by this evening, but at least I will have four days away from home starting Friday and my use of devices will be very, very limited. Non existent even :jump joy:

Thanks for giving me something important to think about Auntie Em....
Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Mamasooze, yes, the sunlight.... I, too, have been making more of an effort to go outside. Spring is appearing, which makes it easier to get outside. Those darned electronics....

Here's to having more old-fashioned activities.

Hope you are having a lovely day.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I found a copy of Protein Power Lifeplan yesterday at a thrift shop. There is a great section in the book on how to sunbathe.

The recommendation is to start with a couple of minutes on each side (if one burns easily), and built up slowly, so that the body has time to adapt. The key to becoming adapted is daily sun exposure, for a little bit at a time.

I stopped using sunscreen a few years ago, and it took my face a few years to stop getting blotches when I went outside. I had used a sunscreen on my face for decades.

A recent improvement came, due to giving up drinking black tea. For some reason, this also improved my skin.

I've been taking a lot of Vitamin D the last few months, too. Bit by bit, the improvements are appearing.

Best wishes to all for healthy days.