Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EdnaLegume
do I need to count carbs???

I'm slowly venturing over to paleo/primal from atkins. I started atkins aug 2010 and did very well. then at the end of that year I had surgery, then things went really bad then another surgery and basically my 2011 sucked. so I'm back on track now, (started back to atkins dec. 26th). however I've been very drawn to paleo/primal and am currently reading a few of the more popular books.

I'm having trouble though. I have the Everyday Paleo cookbook (looks awesome) but no nutrition guides. I'm stuck in the 20 carbs or less mentality (as I do have at least 30 pounds to lose) and just not sure if I really need to keep track while adhering to the paleo/primal way of eating....

I know to really limit fruits at this point but is there a magic number of carbs?

does this make sense, what I"m asking? lol
EdnaLegume is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scottieMike
Stats: 265/228/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Yes, if you are eating fruit. It does not take much to get to 20, even a single apple (I think) is too much. My favorite is raisins, I can eat them by the pound per day. They are 3x the amount of carbs per pound versus grapes.

If you keep it to the Atkins induction list of vegetables, you most likely will not eat enough.

Add berries, nuts, any fruits and you can easily go over the limit.

Not being a paleo dieter, my concern is not enough vitamins, minerals, etc. You may wish to add a good iron-free multi-vitamin and calcium tablets and maybe omega 3s (more due to the meat selection, lots of certain fish and you are OK).

Good luck on the continuing journey.
scottieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I'd say if you're following the Primal food guide (found at Marks Daily Apple website or in the Primal Blueprint book) and you stay away from the carbier items, you're going to eat few enough carbs to not worry about counting. But as an experiment, do that and count them for a few weeks while you get a feel for it. Also, don't be surprised if you can eat more than 20 carbs/day and still lose weight. On the other hand, some folks must eat at that level to lose. You won't know until you start experimenting with what your tolerance level is.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
I don't count carbs. I just eat allowed foods.
I count calories.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaLegume View Post
I'm slowly venturing over to paleo/primal from atkins. I started atkins aug 2010 and did very well. then at the end of that year I had surgery, then things went really bad then another surgery and basically my 2011 sucked. so I'm back on track now, (started back to atkins dec. 26th). however I've been very drawn to paleo/primal and am currently reading a few of the more popular books.

I'm having trouble though. I have the Everyday Paleo cookbook (looks awesome) but no nutrition guides. I'm stuck in the 20 carbs or less mentality (as I do have at least 30 pounds to lose) and just not sure if I really need to keep track while adhering to the paleo/primal way of eating....

I know to really limit fruits at this point but is there a magic number of carbs?

does this make sense, what I"m asking? lol

I'm trying to break from my 20 carb or less mentality too. Baby steps. Had a half small organic banana in a smoothie the other day. First banana I have had in a year I think-about 8 carbs. I didn't go wild and eat the whole thing. I saved the other half for the next day. I love my berries but still weigh them. I eat an ounce of nuts at a time. No more, no less. I split my small apple with my DH.It's carbo-discipline I guess.

My green smoothie has: a handful of spinach, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 the banana, shredded unsweetened coconut, cocoa to taste, stevia and coconut milk. Holds me for a long time. Sometimes I put my whey protein in it. And hey, the banana gives the smoothie a nice consistency along with the avocado.

Baby steps.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Paleo Weight Gain - 5 Tips to Avoid Weight Gain on the Paleo Diet - Paleo [Evolved] For Lean Muscle Growth!
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote