Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
My menu today-
B-coffee w/ coconut milk and cinnamon, choc. chili w/ an egg
L-pork chop, purple cabbage slaw
S-hot tea (black) grape tomatoes
D-tilipia w/ sweet potato hash and half an avacado
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Kelly your menu sounds good
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Dasiey-
I'm the only one eating this way here, so I have done a lot more planning than I normally would. I have 2 teenage boys, so its rare to have leftovers unless I cook while they aren't home and hide things in the back of the fridge under other stuff.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I ate mostly plants yesterday

1 handful of pecans

1 head of cauli(slightly mashed with butter)

bowl of carrots

trail mix

sunflower seeds

zucchini + bacon
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
B-green shake (spinach, avocado, chocolate protein powder, ginger, blueberries, almond or coconut milk)
L-Chicken caesar salad
S-walnuts (1oz) orange/vanilla martini *one only*
D-Braised beef shanks, cauliflower puree
sf jello

Doing a 45 minute walk.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I never posted yesterday's menu-
B-coffee w/ coconut cream & cinnamon, choc. chili w/ an egg & half an avacado
L-pork chop w/ guac and a red pepper
S-grape tomatoes
D-stuffed peppers, blueberries w/ coconut cream
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #37
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
B-green shake (spinach, avocado, chocolate protein powder, ginger, blueberries, almond or coconut milk)
L-Chicken caesar salad
S-walnuts (1oz) orange/vanilla martini *one only*
D-Braised beef shanks, cauliflower puree
sf jello

Doing a 45 minute walk.
I'm not sure you are posting in the right thread with this menu?
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
I'm not sure you are posting in the right thread with this menu?
Sorry. There were other menus here.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

mamasooze-
What plan are you trying to follow? This is a paleo/primal challenge, so leaving things like SF jello out...
Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My menu for today-
B-coffee w/ coconut cream/cinnamon, (last little bit of) left over choc. chili, eggs
L-leftover stuffed pepper
S-blueberries w/ coconut cream, hot tea w/ coconut cream
S-purple cabbage slaw, grape tomatoes
D-almond crusted salmon, wilted spinach
Old 01-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellydawne View Post
mamasooze-
What plan are you trying to follow? This is a paleo/primal challenge, so leaving things like SF jello out...
I guess it's the 80/20 thing. Sometimes there's a curveball. As it turns out I had a salad for lunch *eating out with a friend* but not a Caesar. Luckily the restaurant had a chopped salad that was much more in line. The orange 'tini did not happen either (I have a cocktail on weekends) The sf jello did not happen as I forgot about it. Tonight I plan a coconut milk/berry ice cream using stevia as the sweetener for our dessert.

So, yes, I follow MDA 80/20. We have transitioned to grain-free, dairy-free, sugar-free and have worked the last two weeks being sucralose-free. Having said that, I cannot be 100% sure that I'll never ever have a Breyer's low carb ice cream bar or a SF cherry jello cup again. I may just hunt down the gelatin made from grass-fed beef at Whole Foods and make my own stevia-sweetened "jello".

The Primal Blueprint 80/20 Principle Revisited | Mark's Daily Apple
Old 01-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We're having friends over for dinner. They invited us, but we asked them to come here instead mainly so I can control the food. Hopefully, my will power will hold out when the wine gets opened too. I'm determined to make it through the full whole 30, it would be bad to have to start over after only 7 days.

Today's food- I'll let you know if dinner stays on plan tomorrow...
B-coffee w/ coconut cream & cinnamon, 2 eggs scrambled w/ spinach
L-tuna salad (tuna, home made mayo, celery, HB egg, tomatoes, Avacado) in a raw red pepper
S-coffee w/ cinnamon & coconut cream
D-(planned) munchies (need to figure this part out) tri tip, asparagus, lots of club soda instead of wine or other off plan drinks
Old 01-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I hear what your saying Mama!!
your doing awesome!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rsmorales
Stats: 5'1'' 158
WOE: LCHF/Atkins/Primal
Start Date: November 26, 2013
I'm in!

Yesterday I had the following:

-Trader Joes' Fully-cooked Uncured Applewood Smoked Bacon
-Fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and golden raspberries
-Brussels sprouts cooked in rendered grass-fed beef tallow and bacon
-Fried Cauliflower Rice (Chinese-style) with celery, purple/red/orange carrots, green onions, egg, and turkey bacon - cooked in coconut oil, sesame oil, coconut aminos, basil and cilantro.
-Grilled chicken salad w/ tomatoes, olives and iceberg (I was at an Italian pizzeria with my friends = there was literally nothing else to eat if I wanted to stay paleo- safe)
-99% Dark Chocolate (World Market)

ETA:

Today I went to the Farmer's Market and stocked up on organic veggies, pastured eggs, and 6.5 lbs of grassfed beef in various cuts, including 5 lbs of beef fat. I took the beef fat and boiled and strained it--rendering it into beef tallow. The tallow turned out beautifully. I also signed up with 2 local farmers' monthly delivery services for grassfed beef and local organic fruits/veggies. The beef bill will be around $80/month, and my fruit and veggie CSA bill will be around $50/month. The fruit/veggie CSA company is especially helpful because it has an option where you can tell them exactly what types of fruits and veggies you want--so I was sure to tell them to NEVER send me potatoes, yams, bananas, pineapples, or other starchy/sugary carb produce. But I told them to ALWAYS send me berries, garlic, onions, greens, peppers, tomatoes and zucchini.

I should be able to reduce my grocery bill significantly using these delivery services, while eliminating the temptation of being out while grocery shopping. I hope to eventually reduce my grocery shopping to only specialty items like my World Market Dark Chocolate, kerrygold butter, spices, Wild Alaskan Salmon and Pastured chicken.

My first month on Paleo was ridiculously expensive due to not having a proper plan in place for getting high-quality meals. I bought all my grass-fed beef from Trader Joes, and all my other animal proteins from Whole Foods. I got my veggies from a mix of both, and I felt SO SO strapped for cash all the time. But then I realized that there were better options out there, so long as I did a little digging. I used Yelp and Eatwild.com to find the best farmers in the area, and luckily in California the CSA delivery option popped up right away. I encourage all of you to look into your own local farmers markets to do the same. I love the idea of having a fresh box of local, seasonal organic produce and grassfed beef shipped to me once a month.

If anyone else has any ideas as to how to make Paleo cheaper, please let me know! Let's get the dialogue going.

Last edited by rsmorales; 01-08-2012 at 06:24 AM..
rsmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
rsmorales thanks for a good post and lots of good info.

I will be looking into trader joes the closest is about 75 miles
from me.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning-
I did okay during last night's dinner party. We put cheese and salami out before dinner (I grabbed the last handful of tomatoes from the kitchen and a few sugar snap peas as well) I stuck with the salami (which did have sugar listed in the ingredients, so not perfect) and DH always shops/cooks when we have company and he grabbed meat that is in an incredible marinade. I'm pretty sure the marinade wouldn't be whole 30 legal either. Our friends brought a choc. torte and there were truffles, but I skipped both and stuck to club soda w/ lime, so all in all I'm happy. I am going to add an extra day to my whole 30, but I'm not starting completely over for those two things...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

rsmorales-
I think its a great idea to share tips to make us more successful and expense is one of the biggest stumbling points for so many people for this WOE.
I know I eat a lot of eggs and tuna during the week. I don't think I could afford to feed my very active (and slightly picky) teenagers this way though. They eat a fairly healthy diet by choice as teenagers go, but we tracked the oldest kid's calories one day out of curiosity and on a light day he was eating about 7,000 calories. (he was working out 20-30 hours a week at that point-and yes, that's not a typo, the zeros are supposed to be there!)
I hit our local farmers market every week for local pastured eggs, and in season fruits & veggies. I think eating local and what's in season as far as fruits and veggies makes a HUGE difference. As far as meat, I can't afford to buy all grass fed/organic, I grab it when its on sale, otherwise we get what looks good and trim the fat. (or I'll mix grass fed ground beef w/ the cheaper ground beef to bring the price down and still get a healthier meal) My local grocery store has a "sale" section in the meat dept. every day and I ALWAYS look to see what's there and buy what we will use. (It isn't a bargain if you don't eat it) I do have access to a CSA, there is one that delivers to our local schools and kicks back part of the $$ to the school since they aren't delivering door to door. I need to start doing that again. I haven't gotten a delivery in a while, but its a "take what they send" kind of thing.

The other thing I have started doing is thinking about the way my great grandmother would have done things. (she was incredibly thrifty!) When we eat chicken, the bones go in the freezer and later get turned into a much better tasting (and better for me) broth. I pour it off into jars (that I saved when something was empty, I didn't buy them) and put it in the freezer to use later. I do the same with beef bones. If I cook bacon, I save the fat to cook with later, I buy the less expensive cuts of meat and slow cook them to bring out the flavor. If I have limp veggies hanging out, I turn them into a soup or a stir fry so they don't go in the trash.
I (mostly) am enjoying being more creative in the kitchen and I'm feeling more connected to my grandmothers. As a southern girl at heart, I do make their more carby family faves for my kids too. I spend a lot of time asking my grandmother cooking questions and my dad recently told me I'm going to have to learn to cook all of the things that only my grandmother cooks since I'm the only person in the family that seems to care about making them from scratch.

The other suggestion, which isn't helpful in Jan. but if you have time/space, plant a garden. We had a huge garden at the last house we lived in and there was nothing better than grabbing tomatoes from the yard. I don't have the space where we live now without tearing out flower beds (and since its a rental, can't really do that) but my neighbor has a HUGE garden. He knows what veggies we like and when he has overflow I will frequently find a grocery bag of veggies on my front porch. (He brings me green tomatoes too which are one of my summer faves fried-not whole 30 compliant, but I tweaked my grandmother's recipe years ago to make them lc, I bread them lightly with parmesan cheese)

Dasiey-
I grew up in the middle of the country and I know its much easier to eat this way here than it would have been there, because I'm pretty sure your resources are more limited. I'm within driving distance of about 5 trader joes and we have a great little local market and a farmers market every week. But even the regular grocery store should have the in season produce that's less expensive. (and I would guess meat and dairy are less expensive for you there than what they are here)

Mama-
For me, 80/20 would be a slippery slope to eating 80% junk. I needed to be more strict with myself to get rid of cravings and letting food control me.
Hang in there!

Betty-
How are you doing?

Kerry & anyone else I may have missed-
Old 01-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

I'm doin ok, thanks for asking
still not %100 *sigh

This is going to take longer than I thought. But I really don't want it to <pout> Plus I have 20-30lbs I'd like to lose sooner rather than later.

I'm thinking of doing an atkins like induction to get my act together. I dunno. Maybe it would also help with moto to keep track of things better(at least carbs) and to get the scale moving! I understand this woe isn't just about losing weight, it's a lifestyle I plan on incorporating the best I can. But it's hard when your family lives parallel to yours and I feel my best isn't good enough

The money saving tips are great!
I plan on doing the csa thing when we move again this year..and we'll probably get all good stuff year round if we make it down to FL(military) But we also plan on getting our own house and if that's the case I will most certainly do a Big Ass Garden!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #49
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

I'm and all it nothing kinda gal, when you read all these books they tell you to do 100 percent for 30 days, that's why I started this challenge...
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
I've gotten through my first week of primal pretty well. I didn't always make the best food choices (I need to learn that nuts/nut butters are not a meal), but I avoided grains, dairy, artificial sweeteners and caffeine and ate lots of meat, fish and veggies and also some fruit. Today's menu:

b: the leftover spaghetti sauce I ate on my spaghetti squash last night (ground beef, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini)

l: 2 organic omega-3 brown eggs scrambled with onions and peppers

d: fajitas (seasoned chicken, sauteed onions and peppers, and a spoonful of guacamole), minus the tortilla

s: half an apple in the morning; the other half in the afternoon. A couple strawberries, a small handful of blueberries and a handful of pine nuts.

I think I overdid the snacks (this is way more fruit than I normally eat), but I'm hopeful I didn't do too much damage.

My official weigh-in is tomorrow and I'm hoping to have lost a pound since last Monday. Hope springs eternal!!
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
I'm and all it nothing kinda gal, when you read all these books they tell you to do 100 percent for 30 days, that's why I started this challenge...

I haven't been 100% so I shouldn't be doing this? maybe your right. But no one is perfect..

I can get down with being low carb and I can go mostly grain free most of the time.. but to totally eliminate whole food groups has been tough to wrap my head around.

It's a transition worth making 1 meal and one day at a time.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning-

My lunch (out) portion sizes were a little too big yesterday, we went to one of the boys favorite restaurants and its a buffet...
But otherwise everything was okay.

B-coffee w/ coconut cream/cinnamon
L-salad w/ olive oil & gyros meat, a small piece of grilled chicken and a small piece of roast lamb
S-coffee w/ cinnamon
D-salad w/shrimp and EVOO

Betty-
What is making the transisition so difficult for you? Is it schedules, an unsupportive family, feeling deprived because they are eating differently, stress, or something else?
I read the Primal Blueprint 21 day transformation and followed his suggestions until halfway through week two. (I am using his fitness guide) His life style goals are a little unrealistic for a mom. At least here, I got frustrated and quit after trying to have a relaxing evening and going to bed earlier more than once. That can't happen when the kids have after school stuff that ends later, so they don't eat dinner/shower until 8, then one kid needs homework help, the other wants you to go over a study guide for a mid-term, & mom would you look at this email to a college coach where I want to play...

Maryo-
Your menu looks great, hope your weigh in goes well.

Kerry-
I needed the all or nothing, and give me some tough love if it looks like I need it!
On the other hand, we have to figure out how to make this fit into our lives or it will be a short term diet and that defeats the purpose.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #53
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Well with both paleo and primal I think giving up grains is the most important part...
The point of me starting a challengeis tochallenge, it's about stepping out of our comfort zone in order to accomplish things we thought never possible before. It's only 30 days, if you hate it out it's to hard you don't do it anymore...
Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #54
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

I think you are all capableif you give it a shot and try your hardest I promise you will all love it and be very happy you did (and the weight list is great)
Old 01-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Kelly- I'm not sure what is making it so hard.
Maybe because I'm juggling a lot of things right now..(but I'm used to that..hubby was gone for 1 whole year, June of '10-May '11!)

I think mainly it's because I'm coming from a lo carb place..where I can have whatever..maybe not everyday and not a lot at a time..but it wasn't off limits.

The little rebel in me wants it even more if I am told 'you can't have it.'

Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #56
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Its not that you can't have it, don't look at it that way, you can have it but you are not having it because you are choosing to improve your health, and lose weight faster!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Betty- first of all, military families amaze me with your juggling act, thank you!

I have mostly followed Atkins since Jan. 2001, I backed into it from an elimination diet to control something that is very similar to GERD. Eating grains regularly leaves me feeling really bad, so that makes it much easier to say bye bye to them. (dairy is the hard part for me) I lost down to a size 4/6 with Atkins and maintained that for several years, let stress get to me with some family stuff and gained up to an 8 before I stopped it. From there, I went right back to my maintainence diet and I've been that size for the last 5 years. For me, I was letting a few too many things that I knew weren't healthy slip into my diet and I'm looking at this as taking care of me. We stayed with family over Thanksgiving and started out great, but by the end of the week I was eating whatever happened to be there. We came home with me (and DH to a less extent) feeling like garbage. There were sweets and treats here "for the boys" through Christmas but I'm the only one with a sweet tooth, so I was eating more of them than the kids. I think its easier if you can almost immediately tell that you feel better. When I'm tempted, I remind myself that its poison to my digestive tract.
Remember, you are worth the effort! I try to look at the positive side too, look at all the yummy things I CAN have, not what I can't eat. I try to do a M-F dinner plan with leftovers for me. I will do things that everyone will eat with a carby side for the kids. Both of my boys are constantly trying to gain weight, so it can make grocery shopping/meal planning interesting.
So, like tonight, I'm making meatballs and I'll put mine on spinach and the kids will have theirs with pasta/sauce, make sense?

Kerry, thanks, I definitely needed to step out of my comfort zone. I had gotten too good at making junk fit into my lc diet. Too much cream, too many frankenfoods. Only one week in and I feel so much better already! (of course starting after the holidays, there was no where to go but better!)
Old 01-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

yes, it makes sense..I've been on strict/restrictive diets before. Eating differently than my family is nothing new.
The thing about the diets is that it was short term.

If I can view it as a challenge(which this thread is, lol) and trick my brain into thinking it's not forever that that may work.

And once I start seeing/feeling results that will be good for the moto.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today-
B-coffee w/ coconut cream & cinnamon
L-tuna salad in a raw red pepper, tsp almond butter, hot tea (black)
S-toasted coconut
D-meatballs on baby spinach
Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: robre020
Stats: 298/230/180
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: January 9, 2012
I started my 30 yesterday - luckily I have the support of my roommate who is also going Paleo!

Yesterday -
B - 2 pumpkin muffins (made with eggs, pumpkin, almond flour and almond butter) & a banana
L - Mixed green salad with tomatoes, sweet peppers, avocado, deli turkey & homemade dressing
S - Mixed berries
D - Stewed pork loin & veggies with sautéed Garlic-Balsamic Brussels Sprouts

Today
B - 2 pumpkin muffins & 1/2 a pomegranate
L - Mixed green salad with tomatoes, sweet peppers, avocados & left over pork loin.
S - Banana
D - Bacon wrapped steak with either Brussels Sprouts or Roast Asparagus (tbd. . .)

These are pretty repetitive since I am going out of town in 2 days and don't want to have food that spoils.

Last edited by robre020; 01-10-2012 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: correct spelling
robre020 is offline   Reply With Quote