Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Primal Blueprint Daily Support Thread

Hi all, and

I am transitioning into a Primal way of eating and when I stopped by this section of the board, I noticed that it's not a very busy place.

I thought a thread to check in to frequently for Primal support is a good idea. Hoping that many will join us to give and receive support, or just to chat!
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I will officially be working on the Primal Blueprint after the holidays (I asked for the new book for Christmas -- hope I get it!). Good timing!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, yes, I read *** daily. I have read tons and tons over the last 6 months or so. I have already started, sort of half-way, which is why I call myself "semi-Primal".
Old 12-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Oh, yes, I read *** daily. I have read tons and tons over the last 6 months or so. I have already started, sort of half-way, which is why I call myself "semi-Primal".
Old 12-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

I got them! DH bought me all three Primal Blueprint books -- the original, the cook book and the 21 day Transformation!! Oh, and my brother-in-law got me Wheat Belly!
Old 12-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Quote:
I got them! DH bought me all three Primal Blueprint books -- the original, the cook book and the 21 day Transformation!! Oh, and my brother-in-law got me Wheat Belly!
wow that is awesome
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Congratulations! Happy reading! The new Quick and Easy cookbook is awesome! I got it for my Kindle.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #8

Happy Holidays to all!

Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
I'm starting the Paleo challenge tomorrow (well, I guess it's actually today), so I'll check in here as well as on the challenge thread. I've read The Paleo Diet and The Primal Blueprint over the last few weeks, and I'm excited to try this way of eating. I've been low carbing for 9 months now and haven't had grains or sugar in that time, but cutting out dairy and artificial sweeteners will be new for me.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm so excited the new year is here and I'm so looking forward to getting back on track and getting more primal. I have some very specific goals for how to do that, including making my own salad dressing and avoiding all bad oils, soy and wheat. I'm going to start working through the 21 day transformation soon, maybe tomorrow. I will likely take longer than a day to implement each of the daily recommendations in the book. I'll post my progress here if that's alright.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
I'm starting the Paleo challenge tomorrow (well, I guess it's actually today), so I'll check in here as well as on the challenge thread. I've read The Paleo Diet and The Primal Blueprint over the last few weeks, and I'm excited to try this way of eating. I've been low carbing for 9 months now and haven't had grains or sugar in that time, but cutting out dairy and artificial sweeteners will be new for me.
Maryo,
We are so excited to have you here! Congratulations on not having any grains or sugar in the past 9 months. What positive effects have you seen by eliminating them?

I just recently read Dr. Catherine Shanahan's Deep Nutrition and she lists sugar and grains as two of the greatest destroyers of health on the cellular level. Add to that vegetable oils, and you have the evil trifecta I've been avoiding grains and sugar for the past year and a half, but I've had a number of relapses, especially when I had shoulder problems and my defenses were down.

I am currently also reading Primal Body, Primal Mind, and the view on grains and sugar is also consistent with Mark Sisson's.

I guess I should go check out the Primal Challenge.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,500....and over 3,000,000 steps
Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm so excited the new year is here and I'm so looking forward to getting back on track and getting more primal. I have some very specific goals for how to do that, including making my own salad dressing and avoiding all bad oils, soy and wheat. I'm going to start working through the 21 day transformation soon, maybe tomorrow. I will likely take longer than a day to implement each of the daily recommendations in the book. I'll post my progress here if that's alright.
Hi Speck,

Looks like you are on well on your way to becoming 100% Primal! I agree, it takes me longer to implement changes as well, much longer than a day each.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #13

I have been low-carbing at various degrees since April 2010. I have had periods of serious commitment followed by some slip ups. I have lost about 30 lbs in that time, much slower than I've wanted it to go, but I'll take any WL.

I started by doing the Carb Addict's Diet, then Atkins. As my research into carbohydrate-restricted diets progressed, I've been drifting more and more toward eating natural foods and grass-fed meats for health. When I read Mark's book, it really spoke to me because it is a comprehensive approach to making a person healthy and stronger. It addresses not only diet and exercise, but the importance of staying in the sunlight, de-stressing, getting adequate sleep, etc. It's a way of life, not just a diet or way of eating.

Now I see my goal as not only a weight-loss goal, but more as a lasting health and enjoyment of life goal, with WL as a side effect of being healthier. I've lost weight in unhealthy ways many times before and it never lasted. I was slimmer, but in no way healthier.

The two goals I am going to be working on in January are (paraphrasing)
~~~Move for longer periods at a moderate pace~~~ and
~~~Spend time in the sun~~~
I am already following the PB dietary guidelines.

I have joined a walking thread here and have committed to walking for 2 miles per day, 5 days a week.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #14

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
Hi Deb! So nice to see you here, friend! Hope you join us!
Old 01-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #16

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Hi Deb! So nice to see you here, friend! Hope you join us!
on hcg right now but i do subscribe to Marks blog cheering you all on!
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
I have been doing PB for about a month. Got my beef in the freezer, but need to make a trip to trader Joe's later this week.

Let me suggest the Leptin RX (Leptin Reset) for any that have struggled with cravings or plateaus in the past. I have been seriously trying to lose weight for the last 10 years. Every single time I get hit with overwhelming cravings, eventually give in to them, gain some weight, restart, repeat.

Did you know every time you do that you are further damaging your metabolism? Repeating diets over and over again are a major cause of thyroid and leptin problems.

On the Leptin Reset, you follow a paleo diet. The thing that most people grow to love about it is the Big Azz Breakfast (BAB). You start each morning with a big breakfast containing 50-70 gm protein within 30 minutes of awakening. People that have struggled with cravings for years have found the BAB kills cravings. For some, it's almost immediate, and for others it may take 2 or 3 months.

Link to the Leptin Prescription
Link to index to Dr Jack Kruse's web site.
Link to Leptin RX FAQ
Link to some success reports at paleohacks

Leptin is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I have been low-carbing at various degrees since April 2010. I have had periods of serious commitment followed by some slip ups. I have lost about 30 lbs in that time, much slower than I've wanted it to go, but I'll take any WL.

I started by doing the Carb Addict's Diet, then Atkins. As my research into carbohydrate-restricted diets progressed, I've been drifting more and more toward eating natural foods and grass-fed meats for health. When I read Mark's book, it really spoke to me because it is a comprehensive approach to making a person healthy and stronger. It addresses not only diet and exercise, but the importance of staying in the sunlight, de-stressing, getting adequate sleep, etc. It's a way of life, not just a diet or way of eating.

Now I see my goal as not only a weight-loss goal, but more as a lasting health and enjoyment of life goal, with WL as a side effect of being healthier. I've lost weight in unhealthy ways many times before and it never lasted. I was slimmer, but in no way healthier.

The two goals I am going to be working on in January are (paraphrasing)
~~~Move for longer periods at a moderate pace~~~ and
~~~Spend time in the sun~~~
I am already following the PB dietary guidelines.

I have joined a walking thread here and have committed to walking for 2 miles per day, 5 days a week.
I completely agree!! Even the barefoot part speaks to me... I guess it's the anthropologist in me that it all just sings to.
Though Mark cautions against "chronic cardio", I really enjoyed the feeling and challenge of running, but I don't run long distances, so I don't actually think it counts as "chronic cardio".
Quote:
Hi Speck,

Looks like you are on well on your way to becoming 100% Primal! I agree, it takes me longer to implement changes as well, much longer than a day each.
Thanks! I'm thinking a week for each "day" in the book. I'm not in a big hurry, I'm giving myself all year to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
Hi Deb!!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
I have been doing PB for about a month. Got my beef in the freezer, but need to make a trip to trader Joe's later this week.

Let me suggest the Leptin RX (Leptin Reset) for any that have struggled with cravings or plateaus in the past. I have been seriously trying to lose weight for the last 10 years. Every single time I get hit with overwhelming cravings, eventually give in to them, gain some weight, restart, repeat.

Did you know every time you do that you are further damaging your metabolism? Repeating diets over and over again are a major cause of thyroid and leptin problems.

On the Leptin Reset, you follow a paleo diet. The thing that most people grow to love about it is the Big Azz Breakfast (BAB). You start each morning with a big breakfast containing 50-70 gm protein within 30 minutes of awakening. People that have struggled with cravings for years have found the BAB kills cravings. For some, it's almost immediate, and for others it may take 2 or 3 months.

Link to Leptin RX FAQ
Thanks for the info. Leptin reset is being chatted about a lot here lately, I've been following a few conversations about it. I lost about 30 pounds in 2010, and completely stalled out and didn't make any progress for all of 2011 (but I maintained, and I'm really happy about that). I started calorie cycling back in October, and lost five pounds in about a month. Then the Holidays hit and I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted and then just screwed up my calorie cycling plan and gained several pounds. Anyway, I found some success with what I was doing and will be giving that another go-round here. If that fails, I will seriously consider the leptin reset way of eating. I've got 40-50 pounds to go.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post

Link to Leptin RX FAQ
Rich, thank you so very much for all the suggestions! I am so happy that the Leptin Reset has worked so well for you. I have never been a breakfast eater, and maybe that has worked against me. I am trying to do a partial daily fast and only eat in a 6.5 hr window (due to my work/commute schedule) each day, if that doesn't work out, I'll be trying the leptin reset.

Will be checking the other links as well. Thanks again for posting them.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Leptin reset is being chatted about a lot here lately, I've been following a few conversations about it. I lost about 30 pounds in 2010, and completely stalled out and didn't make any progress for all of 2011 (but I maintained, and I'm really happy about that). I started calorie cycling back in October, and lost five pounds in about a month. Then the Holidays hit and I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted and then just screwed up my calorie cycling plan and gained several pounds. Anyway, I found some success with what I was doing and will be giving that another go-round here. If that fails, I will seriously consider the leptin reset way of eating. I've got 40-50 pounds to go.
Speck, you are lucky to be an anthropologist - you have a much clearer view of the timeline of human development than I do. Glad calorie cycling is working for you.

I am just wondering, Gedgaudas wrote that if one is leptin resistant, the only thing that can restore proper function is a diet extremely low in sugar and starch. I have followed that (not as strictly as I would like around the holidays) but I am still resistant. Would the reset completely restore my leptin sensitivity, I wonder?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Eliza, I love your January goals. Mine are similar. I did 40 minutes on the elliptical machine today at a nice easy pace that kept my heart rate at about 65-70% of max. Unfortunately, there was no sun to be found here, so even if I was willing to go outside in the cold and wind, I wouldn't have had much luck with soaking up rays. I wish I lived in a warm climate!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
Eliza, I love your January goals. Mine are similar. I did 40 minutes on the elliptical machine today at a nice easy pace that kept my heart rate at about 65-70% of max. Unfortunately, there was no sun to be found here, so even if I was willing to go outside in the cold and wind, I wouldn't have had much luck with soaking up rays. I wish I lived in a warm climate!
Maryo, great job on doing 40 min on the elliptical I commiserate with you about the weather .....We used to live in the Pacific Northwest and it was such a relief to move to sunny Texas, all the grey was seriously depressing me.

I leave for work before 7 am so I got up shortly after 4 am and walked 2 miles on my treadmill, took me about 50 min, I was deliberately trying to work at a slower pace. Whenever I work out, I have a much better day and a much less stressful commute.

To me, movement/exercise is not done to create a caloric deficit, but primarily for mood improvement and the way it affects how genes positively express themselves.....Dr. Shanahan has so many interesting things to say about its effect on genes.

Tomorrow is another day and we are starting all over again.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #24

I am so excited....I have finally found a local farm to purchase organic, grass-fed beef, soup bones, and organ meats! At a more reasonable price than I thought I would ever find.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Maryo, great job on doing 40 min on the elliptical I commiserate with you about the weather .....We used to live in the Pacific Northwest and it was such a relief to move to sunny Texas, all the grey was seriously depressing me.

I leave for work before 7 am so I got up shortly after 4 am and walked 2 miles on my treadmill, took me about 50 min, I was deliberately trying to work at a slower pace. Whenever I work out, I have a much better day and a much less stressful commute.

To me, movement/exercise is not done to create a caloric deficit, but primarily for mood improvement and the way it affects how genes positively express themselves.....Dr. Shanahan has so many interesting things to say about its effect on genes.

Tomorrow is another day and we are starting all over again.
Somehow, someway, I need to convince myself to get up early to exercise -- at least to walk the dogs. I am such a sleep-glutton and hate getting out of bed.

Quote:
I am so excited....I have finally found a local farm to purchase organic, grass-fed beef, soup bones, and organ meats! At a more reasonable price than I thought I would ever find.
That is awesome! Even though I live near agriculturally productive areas, I cannot seem to find this.

I had a great primal "down day" (on JUDDD that is what we call our really low calorie days... normal calorie days are called "up days"). I even made my own salad dressing for my Big A_ _ Salad for dinner.

I just finished Wheat Belly, and it is a great book. I am officially cured of any delusions I might have had that wheat, in any form, is OK. Dr. Davis' recommendations are interesting, and mostly primal, but he says butter and bacon are off limits, but real cheese is OK. He's got a few recipes in the back of the book. One of them is for a flax wrap (like a tortilla). I tried it yesterday, and other than overcooking it, it was really good, and I plan on making it again.
Now that I'm done with that book, I can concentrate on my Primal Blueprint books. I have leafed through the cookbook and the 21 day book. Since I am largely Primal and low carb already, there won't be much for me to in the first couple days. But I will start working through the workbook this week.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

To me, movement/exercise is not done to create a caloric deficit, but primarily for mood improvement and the way it affects how genes positively express themselves

I agree with this. I never create a caloric deficit with exercise, because it makes me hungrier and I generally eat more extra calories than I burn off.

Eliza, that's great that you found a grass-fed beef source. I've been looking for one, and I've found a farm about 4 hours away where I can get a "quarter" cow. It includes a variety of cuts (including 27 lbs. of ground beef, which is what I use the most), heart, liver and soup bones. I haven't decided whether to go that route, as opposed to buying what I can find at Whole Foods. I have a lot of freezer space, but most of it is full right now. How much does your grass-fed beef average out to per pound? I think the place I'm looking charges $4/hanging pound; i haven't calculated the waste yet to see how much it is per usable pound.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
just wanted to say Hi

This thread seems to be more active..

Speck- how is JUDDD/primal working for ya so far?

I wanted to get back into..but am not interested in counting cals on UDs(shhhh)

I wanted to stay true to eating intuitively but I can see the need for monitoring cals on DDs and surely on UDs if no body changes are occurring.
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
Eating farm raised animals isn't going to happen right away for us..not until we can save our pennies!
How do you all feel about the 'natural,' options in places like Costco?

I saw a 3lb pack of hamburger(for ex) for 10.99..not bad!

For now we are enjoying our Deer from Thanksgiving..I think it might last til Spring!
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
just wanted to say Hi

This thread seems to be more active..

Speck- how is JUDDD/primal working for ya so far?

I wanted to get back into..but am not interested in counting cals on UDs(shhhh)

I wanted to stay true to eating intuitively but I can see the need for monitoring cals on DDs and surely on UDs if no body changes are occurring.
Betty! Best of luck with JUDDD. Hope you check in with us as well. The more friends, the better.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #30

As for the grass-fed, I did research through a nation-wide online search engine for "green living". I live in TX and in a major metropolitan area, so it was not too difficult to find a couple of businesses. I found organic grass-fed hamburger and cube steak at $5/lb, soup bones at $6.50 lb, Primal ground beef (includes ground organ meats in witht he beef) for $4.99. After reading Deep Nutrition, I am very much into organ meats and bone broths now...

It is on the expensive side, and it's definitely a struggle to put the money aside for it. I am still cringing at the thought of buying it. Rest assured, I will not be ordering grass-fed ribeye at $30/lb, just the cheapest cuts I can find.

With the prices of beef going up in my local stores, I'm only about a dollar or so away per lb for the hamburger from regular feedlot beef. I've been considering it for many years and finally taking the plunge. Will be cutting on other items for cost containment and eating more soups with the family to make it last longer.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 01-03-2012 at 10:56 AM..