Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #241
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Well, yesterday was my birthday, and I treated myself to full-on Mexican and chocolate cake. Today I am puffed up like a balloon! Seriously, my fingers feel like little sausages. Oh, but it was tasty! I did spend a good 3 hours lifting heavy things though. My friend and her family are moving into a new house this weekend and I helped out for a while. Not the typical way people usually spend their birthdays, but I didn't have anything else to do.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #242
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
My favorite comment was: "I'd lick the coconut oil off his abs." Definitely gave me a chuckle.

mine to
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #243
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThorp View Post
Whoa, totally missed your welcome, but thanks so much! I really appreciate it.
you are welcome
Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Checking in with everyone...Bizzy week. Inventory and and communications (print and internet) for February breathing down my neck.

Our supper club went better than I thought it would. I drank as much water as I did wine, ate only 2 spoonfuls of my "famous tiramisu" and most everything we had could pass for primal--salmon stuffed eggs, beef tenderloin, salad *with hazelnut oil*, green beans.

Did physical lifting and stretching (inventory) but have been desk bound with other work for 2 days...it has rained so no jogging anyway. Planning on jog/walk in next two days. Active weekend coming up with toddlers, cooking on Sunday. Sleeping only so-so. Still do better with rest on more active days.

Outta here...oh and took Mark's post about leafy greens to heart. Out to buy some. No. A lot.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #245
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Giving Primal another go, starting today.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #246
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
Checking in with everyone...Bizzy week. Inventory and and communications (print and internet) for February breathing down my neck.

Our supper club went better than I thought it would. I drank as much water as I did wine, ate only 2 spoonfuls of my "famous tiramisu" and most everything we had could pass for primal--salmon stuffed eggs, beef tenderloin, salad *with hazelnut oil*, green beans.

Did physical lifting and stretching (inventory) but have been desk bound with other work for 2 days...it has rained so no jogging anyway. Planning on jog/walk in next two days. Active weekend coming up with toddlers, cooking on Sunday. Sleeping only so-so. Still do better with rest on more active days.

Outta here...oh and took Mark's post about leafy greens to heart. Out to buy some. No. A lot.
Yah, busy, busy for me, too. Things will calm down soon for me. That menu sounds wonderful. How does hazelnut oil taste?
Mark's post got me thinking about trying more different kinds of greens. I eat romaine and spinach salads several times a week. But the comments got me thinking about cooked down greens with various spices, Southern style and Indian style and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Yah, busy, busy for me, too. Things will calm down soon for me. That menu sounds wonderful. How does hazelnut oil taste?
Mark's post got me thinking about trying more different kinds of greens. I eat romaine and spinach salads several times a week. But the comments got me thinking about cooked down greens with various spices, Southern style and Indian style and so forth.

I love hazelnut oil. Especially in salad. It's not too intense. Will try it on a strip steak sometime with butter/ghee and lemon juice (the Tuscan way). Bought some pistachio nut oil the other day on sale and wow! Liquid gold. Should be good on any veggie warm, green beans and Brussels sprouts especially.

I do a lot of the old south greens- collards, mustard, turnip. I like to sautée the greens down in bacon fat or ham pieces (browned) and then cover with chicken stock and add some chopped onions. Add a tablespoon of cider vinegar and slow cook 5-6 hours. Yumm. Serve with anything. Cheap too Got a buttful of salad greens on sale today too. Also found some beef marrow bones and oxtails. Those are the only proteins I bought all week. Hope to cook them up this weekend.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Go Portia. We're getting the hang of it and so can you we are here to help any way we can

Adding today's menu:
B-Greek yogurt with homemade trail mix, coffee with coconut cream
S-none
L- in a hurry so can of tuna with mayo and capers, 1 oz. dark chocolate
S- none
D- soup with lamb meatballs, kale and tomatoes, glass red wine
Dessert - none
Hopefully a good sleep

Last edited by mamasooze; 02-01-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Old 02-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #249
Blabbermouth!!!

At the moment, my plan is to keep to an Induction-type approach to carbs, but with Primal, whole foods. I am a bit nervous to start right in with nuts, yogurt etc.

Thoughts?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #250
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
At the moment, my plan is to keep to an Induction-type approach to carbs, but with Primal, whole foods. I am a bit nervous to start right in with nuts, yogurt etc.

Thoughts?
I'm just getting the hang of this myself.

I did read something in Primal Blueprint about denying yourself too much:

Quote:
Avoid excessive regimentation or results obsession in favor of a long-term perspective. Assess results monthly and don’t worry about daily calorie counting or frequent scale measurements.
Sisson suggests 50-100 carbs for the weight loss sweet spot, so I've been planning out a good base meal plan with about 30 carbs and then pencilling in some optional snacks like macadameas, homemade coconut flour bread, and some fruit w/a little yogurt.

Like I said, though, I'm new to this, so take it with a grain of salt.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Thoughts?
Took me months to get in the mind that yogurt was ok. Even now I only eat about 1/2 to 2/3 cup in the morning-stove is broken so I've been eating my breakfasts cold. I only went "nuts" when I realized that an ounce of nuts, strategically timed before dinner, really did help keep the appetite at bay.

ETA-Today's menu
B-greek yogurt with 2 T. trail mix, cup coffee
S-none
L-green smoothie-avocado, banana, spinach, coconut milk, blueberries and vanilla protein *1/2 scoop*
S-1 square dark chocolate and nuts
D-pork ribs (well trimmed), BA salad
dessert-tea
Not much motion today. Raining again :-(

Last edited by mamasooze; 02-02-2012 at 10:05 AM..
Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #252
Blabbermouth!!!

I love your menu.

Are you losing weight, if you don't mind my asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
Took me months to get in the mind that yogurt was ok. Even now I only eat about 1/2 to 2/3 cup in the morning-stove is broken so I've been eating my breakfasts cold. I only went "nuts" when I realized that an ounce of nuts, strategically timed before dinner, really did help keep the appetite at bay.

ETA-Today's menu
B-greek yogurt with 2 T. trail mix, cup coffee
S-none
L-green smoothie-avocado, banana, spinach, coconut milk, blueberries and vanilla protein *1/2 scoop*
S-1 square dark chocolate and nuts
D-pork ribs (well trimmed), BA salad
dessert-tea
Not much motion today. Raining again :-(
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I love your menu.

Are you losing weight, if you don't mind my asking?
I'm a slow loser but yes, since August I have dropped 3 sizes...from a 16 to a 10. When I get to an 8 (hopefully by March) I will get the battery to put in the scale and am scheduled for a physical then.

I had been stalled for over a year but decided to double down and cut out most dairy and cheese. Cut the wine, legumes, grains/wheat too and the scale started moving down. I keep eye on calories and keep the carbs at 50 or less. Lots of Mark's BA salads at dinner help too.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

Bizzy day and weekend so here goes..

Menus for weekend will include:

scrambled eggs and bacon (stove fixed ), greek gods yogurt and homemade trail mix, BA salads, wine glazed oxtails, brussels sprouts, caesar salad *make my own dressing*, cauliflower "steaks" (saw this on Martha Stewart the other day), seafood gumbo (will strain mine and skip the rice), braised kale, various veggie appetizers.

Will make a week's supply of trail mix--1/2 C. walnuts, 1/2 cups pecans, 1/2 cup, sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), 1/4 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (non dairy), and I found some dried blueberries in THE GREAT CUPBOARD CLEAN OUT OF 2012 so Ill throw them in too. I put some mix in my hubby's oatmeal and he did a "wowza! that's good". Uh oh, now I gotta share

Will get motion inside again today (still raining but down here we don't care-just thank the Lord for what little we get) by cleaning house top to bottom and running errands-"gathering groceries"-and tomorrow chasing toddlers at a jumping' place.

See y'all Monday and go Texans, uh, go Saints, uh...who's playing again? I'll watch THE PUPPY BOWL

Last edited by mamasooze; 02-03-2012 at 06:22 AM..
Old 02-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #255
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Today:
skipping breakfast, will eat eggs and turkey sausage after the gym
meat loaf (i used coconut/almond bread for the crumbs), spinach/strawberry/red onion salad, and pureed cauliflower made w/greek yogurt instead of cream cheese.
snacks=walnuts, macadameas

Tomorrow is:
B- meat loaf w/an egg on top
L-salad if I want it, with some chicken
D-baked chicken thighs, salad and either green beans or brussels sprouts.
snack will be strawberries and greek yogurtwith some walnuts on top. Might make it like a shortcake with coconut/almond bread.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I've been busy too..

And I just wanted to say that I'm a Primal drop out

I can't seem to keep my paws off everything "I'm not supposed to have."
I don't eat no no foods everyday, mind you.

No hard feelings.

betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Well, this morning (before I ate breakfast) I found an old post on MDA about intermittent fasting and its benefits, and just like that I decided I'd try Eat Stop Eat this month. My weight loss has been at a crawl, so I couldn't think of a good reason not to shake things up, and there's no time like the present. So I won't be eating until dinnertime, and I'm going to try to do two 24 hour fasts (dinner to dinner) a week and see how it works out.

I'm planning to make a chicken curry tonight - that's something I've never made before but I found a recipe on a paleo website.

Mamasooze, your menu and your trail mix recipe sound yum!

Portia, I share your fear of nuts. When I first started primal at the beginning of January I bought raw almonds, almond butter and raw pecans. Unfortunately, I've realized that I cannot control myself where nuts are concerned, so at least for the time being they're banned from the house. It's too bad, because I'm sure they're good for me in moderation. If only I could moderate my nut intake!!!! I had cut dairy last month, but now I'm back to my plain Greek yogurt with no problems.

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #258
Blabbermouth!!!

Good luck to you Betty!

Maryo, I fasted today until 2pm, except for morning coffee, and felt pretty darn good. I felt a little faint while shopping and Costco and decided I needed to eat something when I got home. If it weren't for that, I think I could have gone all the way to dinner!

Nuts are so darn chewy, my jaw gets tired before I can eat too, too many! But, if not for that, I would probably overeat them, too. lol
Old 02-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Speck, I must have a very well developed, well exercised jaw, because I have no problem putting away the nuts.

My 24 hour fast was successful - I somehow made it to 6:30. I didn't make my chicken curry, though. I was so hungry that I ate cold leftover roast beef from the frig and just sauteed some onions and mushrooms to go with it. Feeling real hunger was unusual for me - this was the real, physical thing, not just head hunger. It kind of felt good, although I hope I get used to this and don't get as hungry as time goes on. At about 6:00 I was convinced that I was going to eat everything in the refrigerator when 6:30 rolled around, but as it turned out I didn't - I didn't eat more for dinner than I usually do. That was one of my worries about IF - that I'd seriously overeat to break the fast, but it didn't happen. Since I'm going to do my fast days on Fridays and Mondays, I need to move my strength training days from MWF to TRS. I did my hour on the elliptical with no problem today, but I couldn't bring myself to do weights.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Im still flirting with Primal..I guess I get caught up in the naming of how I eat and I want to rebel..

even though I know its for the best.

This lifestyle HAS TO WORK for weight loss(# goal first, health second for me personally at the moment)

And I know this. So whats my deal?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #261
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
Im still flirting with Primal..I guess I get caught up in the naming of how I eat and I want to rebel..

even though I know its for the best.

This lifestyle HAS TO WORK for weight loss(# goal first, health second for me personally at the moment)

And I know this. So whats my deal?

I don't know, but if you figure it out let me know, 'cuz I'm having serious exercise "issues" myself.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #262
Senior LCF Member

HOw come?

I took a peek at your journal and it seems you are doing ok

Is it more internally for you?

Why doesn't eating naturally come naturally
Old 02-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #263
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
HOw come?

I took a peek at your journal and it seems you are doing ok

Is it more internally for you?

Why doesn't eating naturally come naturally
Oh no, I just wrote about it. I can't seem to make myself do anything. I plan on this or that, but follow through is terrible.

Eating "naturally" is hard because we are constantly drawn back to the foods that we grew up on, and/or have been eating. It takes some time, years even, for it to become natural to us to eat naturally, lol.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

How did everyone do with the FOOD WEEKEND???
I had no problems...resisting bread and rice with my gumbo last night. Refused dessert and no hard feelings. The one who brought the dessert has had a weight problem so she understood when I refused-politely of course

Had some red wine this weekend. I used some for my oxtail stew and once you open the bottle....well, hubby helped finish it off.

Menu today:
B-Yogurt and trail mix-had about 3/4 cup and over did. Almost 4pm and I'm still full. Or bloated. Will lay off the Greek Gods for the next few days.
L-1 oz. bittersweet chocolate 70% I think (that is IT)
No snacks--nothing appeals to me
D-Bacon wrapped chicken breasts, braised kale
dessert-none-can't even think about it

Picking greens in my garden-lots of them, it rained. YEA.
Hope everyone is doing well...No rebelling
Old 02-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Just this past week I started Eat Stop Eat (saw a reference to IF on an old MDA post and ran with it). Plan is to do two 24 hour fasts each week. My 2nd fast day started late afternoon yesterday, so I had no Super Bowl food choices to make since there was no food for me at all. That made it really simple. I just broke my fast a few minutes ago with a few pieces of jerky straight from my dehydrator - I was starving!

So all in all it was a good weekend food-wise; I was totally on plan. I am finding primal eating to be delicious and easy.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #266
Blabbermouth!!!

Does greek god make a full fat yogurt. I can
only find 0% fat or honey..
Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #267
Blabbermouth!!!

Maryo how often will you do a 24 hour fast on ese?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #268
Blabbermouth!!!

I made some good choices, some better choices and some truly terrible ones this past weekend. Oh well. Upward and onward!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Maryo how often will you do a 24 hour fast on ese?
I'm doing two 24 hour fasts a week - on Fridays and Mondays (well, 6 pm Thursday and Sunday until 6pm Friday and Monday). I've only done two, but so far so good.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Does greek god make a full fat yogurt. I can
only find 0% fat or honey..
Greek Gods has the full fat version--in the green container. Have found at larger Kroger stores and Walmart. $ less than Fage.

It's so good but a little dab will do ya Still mad at myself for the overdo yesterday.

Menu today:
B- 2 homemade pork sausages, 2 eggs fried in ghee (made some yesterday from grass-fed butter), coffee with coconut milk
S-none *wil be working*
L-green smoothie *a quickie*
S-paleo trail mix*1/3 cup*
D-Veal goulash (simply onions, garlic and paprika slow cooked) with cauliflower rice, salad
Dessert-lemonade made with stevia

The reason for the lemonade is that somewhere last week I read that the whole "going to the bathroom in the night thing" can be caused by a blood sugar crash in the night. The remedy was to drink milk or have some paleo lemonade before bed. I could have sworn it was in Vanessa R.'s blog, but coming up empty there. At any rate I had a bad Sunday night/Monday morning (not a total loss I watched "Downton Abbey" again) so last night before bed I made some lemon water sweetened with stevia. Quite refreshing and...well, I slept all night. Eight whole hours. Could have been a combo of:1.) totally exhausted from night before 2.) had two teaspoons melatonin which only works so-so with me and/or 3.) the lemonade.

Not taking any chances so making a pitcher of the lemonade today