Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #211
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Thanks everyone.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Mamasooze, I admire your ability to eat just 1 ounce of nuts. Nuts are a food I cannot control - I absolutely love them, and they're so easy to grab and eat - too easy, unfortunately. For the time being I'm living a nut free existence. Maybe I'll try again next month. . . .

I have pork shoulder loaded with spices cooking in my crock pot today (got the recipe from some paleo site) and it smells heavenly. If my pulled pork dinner tastes half as good as it smells I'm going to be a happy girl this evening.

Does anyone have favorite primal crock pot recipes to share? I love my crock pot and I'd love to expand my paleo/primal repertoire.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I was wondering if weight loss was one of your primary goals I understand that simply taking out carbs(grains) will do wonders..but what happens when/if you stall??

How do you all feel about refeeds and such for someone who weight trains? Like every 7-14 days refill the muscles with glycogen with potato/rice and maybe oats.

veggies and fruits are carbs. And a carb is a carb, right? But doesn't the body process those things differently for recovery purposes??

I have the book paleo for athletes actually and I can get back to you all on those questions
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Admire me all you want Maryo--but I didn't mention pistachios and cashews. LOL Don't keep them in the house, no way! I have to make a dessert for dinner club on Saturday that calls for pistachios so I will go to HEB (grocery) and buy in bulk EXACTLY the amount I need for the recipe. God help me! Those two nuts can make me nuts

Here's a good slow cooker pork on my tumblr site:
All I can say is

It seems very Thanksgiving-ish especially if you serve some baked/pureed sweet potatoes on the side. Have a few other slow cooker pork recipes on the site. Maybe even the one Maryo is making. I can smell it from here

Menu today:
B-Banana/coconut/chocolate whey smoothie (got up late and had to go walk)
S-none
L-wedge of lettuce, avocado, tomato, bacon, oil/vinegar dressing
S-nuts
D-Grilled shrimp salad, artichoke hearts, cucumbers, so may try to make it Greek-ish (forgot to put anything out to thaw--shrimp is easiest)
dessert--3 small squares 70% chocolate

Exercise: Got in 40 minutes of jog/walk/run before rain started.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #215
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
Mamasooze, I admire your ability to eat just 1 ounce of nuts. Nuts are a food I cannot control - I absolutely love them, and they're so easy to grab and eat - too easy, unfortunately. For the time being I'm living a nut free existence. Maybe I'll try again next month. . . .

I have pork shoulder loaded with spices cooking in my crock pot today (got the recipe from some paleo site) and it smells heavenly. If my pulled pork dinner tastes half as good as it smells I'm going to be a happy girl this evening.

Does anyone have favorite primal crock pot recipes to share? I love my crock pot and I'd love to expand my paleo/primal repertoire.
I don't have any recipes, really, but I my crockpot, too. I try to use it once a week. Any chunk-o-meat or whole chicken goes in it. Chili, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
I was wondering if weight loss was one of your primary goals I understand that simply taking out carbs(grains) will do wonders..but what happens when/if you stall??

How do you all feel about refeeds and such for someone who weight trains? Like every 7-14 days refill the muscles with glycogen with potato/rice and maybe oats.

veggies and fruits are carbs. And a carb is a carb, right? But doesn't the body process those things differently for recovery purposes??

I have the book paleo for athletes actually and I can get back to you all on those questions
My primary reason for Primal is health. My primary reason for JUDDD is weightloss. I've still hovering around 150 since the first of the month. Got some things going on, may have to restrategerize when things settle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
Admire me all you want Maryo--but I didn't mention pistachios and cashews. LOL Don't keep them in the house, no way! I have to make a dessert for dinner club on Saturday that calls for pistachios so I will go to HEB (grocery) and buy in bulk EXACTLY the amount I need for the recipe. God help me! Those two nuts can make me nuts
ME TOO!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michiko
Stats: Size 24-26/Size 16/Size 8-10
WOE: Primal Blueprint and Caloric Staggering
Start Date: October 31st 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post

I'm a big fan of the crock pot too! I really hate to cook so my husband does most of it, but I have no problem with prep. One meal I'm really happy with lately is barbecue country style pork ribs. You can also use a pork butt roast cut into 6 pieces or so. If there's excess fat, I trim the meat. So delicious and easy to make! I use Mark's recipe from MDA for the barbecue sauce, but change things just a little.

I use an entire small can of tomato paste (6 ounces) and double the rest of the ingredients, eliminate the hot sauce and add about 1 teaspoon of cayenne. If you like your bbq sauce spicy and hot, then this is the ticket! Instead of honey, I use some Truvia. I eliminate the cinnamon just because I prefer the flavor w/o it, mix in 1 tablespoon of lazy garlic (pre-chopped minced garlic in water), add a dash of Johnny's Seasoning Salt (contains MSG so avoid if you don't like it) and some Wright's Liquid Smoke to taste. Last time I forgot to double the water, but the thick sauce stuck very well to the pork.

After making the barbecue sauce, put approximately 3 lbs of pork into the crock pot. Slather on about 2/3 of your sauce and cook on high for about 5 hours. There's no need to add any additional liquid. You can serve the pork with additional sauce or refrigerate any leftover sauce. Here's the original recipe:

Primal Barbecue Sauce

1/3 cup (about 3 ounces) tomato paste
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 – 1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 – 2 tablespoons honey
2 – 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons tamari
1/2 teaspoon mustard
2 tablespoons water
1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Instructions:

In a small bowl mix together tomato paste, butter, hot sauce, honey, vinegar, tamari, mustard and water.

In another small bowl mix together allspice, cinnamon, pepper, chili powder, paprika and onion powder.

Mix the spices in with the wet ingredients.

Brush on meat before grilling or dip cooked meat into the sauce.

March 31st 2012 - Down 37 pounds since October 31st 2011
Michiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

My primary REASON is for health..but my primary GOAL is weight loss.

That makes sense, primal for health/JUDDD for weight loss!

I'm still struggling everyday but I've been good. We've been pretty poor and can't afford my appetite in veggies.

Its going to get better(SOON!) and hopefully wont be so hard.

I went without dinner last night out of stubborn-ness. My hubby was making homemade mac n cheese and I asked kindly if he could set me some hamburger aside. And he rolled his eyes all huffy like and I said, 'NEVERMIND! I won't eat then..sheesh!'
Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GThorp
Stats: 6 ft tall, 162 lbs
WOE: Primal Diet
Start Date: 11/11/2011
Quote:
My primary REASON is for health..but my primary GOAL is weight loss.

That makes sense, primal for health/JUDDD for weight loss!

I'm still struggling everyday but I've been good. We've been pretty poor and can't afford my appetite in veggies.

Its going to get better(SOON!) and hopefully wont be so hard.

I went without dinner last night out of stubborn-ness. My hubby was making homemade mac n cheese and I asked kindly if he could set me some hamburger aside. And he rolled his eyes all huffy like and I said, 'NEVERMIND! I won't eat then..sheesh!'
Haha, you and I are in a similar situation. I live with my girlfriend, and ever since I started the Primal Diet in November, she's told me constantly that I am no fun to eat with anymore. She's a vegetarian who doesn't really like veggies, go figure. So even though I eat tons of veggies, our meals still really aren't that similar anymore. Oh well, what can you do, right?
GThorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #219
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome gthorp
Old 01-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

A vegetarian that doesn't eat veggies??!

sorry, that's funny!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Ok, I found the answer to my questions from yesterday:

"eating low glycemin fruits and vegetables may certainly replace such deficiencies but will be accompanied by several pounds of fiber. Such a diet will also be slow to replace expended glycogen stores in the muscles following hard workouts or races."

It's mainly concerning those that train 10-35hrs a week..or for example bodybuilders who train 2x/day.

Personally I'm in the gym 3x/week and I do total body training with weights. On the other days I do yoga/pilates and bw exercises. And I walk at least 3-5 hrs/week. More like 3 but looking to add on as it gets warmer.

Last edited by betty301; 01-25-2012 at 02:22 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ok, I found the answer to my questions from yesterday:

"eating low glycemin fruits and vegetables may certainly replace such deficiencies but will be accompanied by several pounds of fiber. Such a diet will also be slow to replace expended glycogen stores in the muscles following hard workouts or races."

It's mainly concerning those that train 10-35hrs a week..or for example bodybuilders who train 2x/day.

Personally I'm in the gym 3x/week and I do total body training with weights. On the other days I do yoga/pilates and bw exercises. And I walk at least 3-5 hrs/week. More like 3 but looking to add on as it gets warmer.
Wow. I'm impressed. I don't train, I just walk/jog/run and do my Kinect (x-box) on wet or cold days. Today was a wet day but couldn't find the time

Eating well-
B-eggs and low sodium bacon, coffee with coconut cream
S-About 2 T. trail mix-equal parts (1/4 cup each) pecans, walnuts, mini chocolate chips *dairy-free*, chopped dates, dried blue berries (1/8 cup) and a tablespoon or two of shredded unsweetened coconut. This is really good and will limit to 2 T. a day mixed with yogurt
L-blueberry smoothie with flax, coconut milk
S- none
D-pork stew with cauliflower, mushrooms, tomatoes...slow simmered.
Dessert-2-3 squares 70 something % chocolate

Hopefully weather clears up and stays warm. Want some rays
Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #223
Senior LCF Member

The gym is my thing. I love exercising and has probably been the only thing saving me from piling on the pounds through all this thyroid crap.

I hate cardio but have always loved walking so I really take to heart what Mark has to say in that area

I had to resort to a can of pinto beans for dinner tonight. Instant grumbly tummy for me
Like I said we're pretty damn poor right now. It was a long time in between paychecks this time. *sigh*

But in a week or so we get to pay down a lot of debt with our tax return!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #224
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi guys, a quick stop by to post this....popped up on Facebook. Two comments:
Go Mark Sisson!
Dean Orninsh looks a bit like a troll .....large head, long, misshapen limbs .....hmmmmmm
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Go Mark Sisson!
Dean Orninsh looks a bit like a troll .....large head, long, misshapen limbs .....hmmmmmm
So true! Thanks for posting that, Eliza!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Go Mark Sisson!
Uh, well...yeah. Your point????
Old 01-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #227
Blabbermouth!!!

Mark is looking good
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #228
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
Uh, well...yeah. Your point????
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but lots of resistance in the mainstream. Hope this opens eyes. A guy commented on FAcebook that to have a true comparison, Ornish needs to go shirtless, too. Yuck!
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but lots of resistance in the mainstream. Hope this opens eyes. A guy commented on FAcebook that to have a true comparison, Ornish needs to go shirtless, too. Yuck!
Double YUCK! Thank goodness we know that will never happen..eye bleach. I predict before this year is out, Paleo, Primal and Mark Sisson will be all over the place. The movement is growing by leaps and bounds

Had a good walk/jog *no run, still wet* for 55 minutes and over 3 miles. Ate out for lunch with friends but terribly lucky to go to new place that doesn't know it's Primal yet-see below.

B-1/2 cup Greek God yogurt with 2 T. trail mix
S-2 squares 77% chocolate
L-Harvest Salad-turkey, dried cranberries, pecans with mixed greens and balsamic vinaigrette (used less than 1 T. dressing..pretty tasty without it)
S-coffee with coconut milk *maybe*
D-Grilled chicken thighs *marinated in yogurt, shiracha (? spelling) sauce, olive oil and lemon* wilted greens from my garden, marinated avocado and tomato salad

Wow! I'm just starvin' to death on this diet........
Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Double YUCK! Thank goodness we know that will never happen..eye bleach. I predict before this year is out, Paleo, Primal and Mark Sisson will be all over the place. The movement is growing by leaps and bounds

Had a good walk/jog *no run, still wet* for 55 minutes and over 3 miles. Ate out for lunch with friends but terribly lucky to go to new place that doesn't know it's Primal yet-see below.

B-1/2 cup Greek God yogurt with 2 T. trail mix
S-2 squares 77% chocolate
L-Harvest Salad-turkey, dried cranberries, pecans with mixed greens and balsamic vinaigrette (used less than 1 T. dressing..pretty tasty without it)
S-coffee with coconut milk *maybe*
D-Grilled chicken thighs *marinated in yogurt, shiracha (? spelling) sauce, olive oil and lemon* wilted greens from my garden, marinated avocado and tomato salad

Wow! I'm just starvin' to death on this diet........
"Double YUCK!"

Great job on the exercise! And it's always nice when you can eat out and have it be totally Primal. Your food for the day looks delish! Gawd... how I LOVE Sriracha! I'm a huge fan of hot and spicy - almost all of our main dishes have Sriracha, cayenne, freshly ground black pepper and/or Red Rooster in them!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #231
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Betty- I do strength training and some cardio, but I've never felt the need for carbs to support my work outs. I think that need for carbs is for body builders (who are trying to add weight) and elite athletes who train for hours at a time.

I've never felt at all 'depleted' from working out by remaining low carb. I focus on getting sufficient protein to insure that I don't lose the muscle that I'm trying to strengthen.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko View Post
"Double YUCK!"

Great job on the exercise! And it's always nice when you can eat out and have it be totally Primal. Your food for the day looks delish! Gawd... how I LOVE Sriracha! I'm a huge fan of hot and spicy - almost all of our main dishes have Sriracha, cayenne, freshly ground black pepper and/or Red Rooster in them!
Here is the marinade I used for the chicken:
Low carb, GF (gluten-free) and primal. The...

I let it sit 6 hours in fridge and then put on my griddler (stove/oven is broken) and it was GREAT...not too spicy. Chicken so tender. Love that rooster too.

Leo41-Betty- I do strength training and some cardio, but I've never felt the need for carbs to support my work outs. I think that need for carbs is for body builders (who are trying to add weight) and elite athletes who train for hours at a time.

I've always kind of puzzled about that too. I'm just a jogger but a few years ago I did a half marathon (my first) and trained a few months before rather lightly and then did the 1/2 M and most days, as well as race day, never went over (or felt like going over) 30 or 40 carbs. Pasta time? NEVER. So I gotta go with Leo on that one.

Confession time: I did take a banana at the end of one of my races. Even thought about eating it (pre-Primal)

Last edited by mamasooze; 01-27-2012 at 04:20 AM..
Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #233
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Go Mark Sisson!
Yah, I'll have what .................................... HE'S HAVING ^^^^^
Old 01-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiey View Post
Welcome gthorp
Whoa, totally missed your welcome, but thanks so much! I really appreciate it.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Go Mark Sisson!
My favorite comment was: "I'd lick the coconut oil off his abs." Definitely gave me a chuckle.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Good news, bad news day.
Good news-Scored some fresh gorgeous home grown strawberries at our local truck farm. Came home and made a yogurt/strawberry shake. Yum.
Bad news-The stove is broken and I can't get it fixed till next week. But worse than that, I am the dessert person for our dinner group tonite. Everyone asked for my famous tiramisu recipe. Well, I said yes before thinking and now they are all looking forward to it. I should have said "It's a surprise" and made something paleo/primal. They would have been none the wiser. Now I am straddled with a dessert I can't eat. I did make it as low sugar as possible. But could not find a satisfactory way around the lady finger/biscotti/amaretti ingredient. Ended up with very airy lady fingers, s/f caramel, s/f pudding, s/f Cool Whip (I know, I know...but it helps it set up in the fridge and only used half of what I have in the past), dulce le leche, sea salt, cocoa, cinnamon. And adding crispy bacon to top. At any given time in my life, I would say the heck with it...gimme a bowl. Now I dread eating a bite, if I do at all. A lesson hard-learned.

On the bright side the dinner will be prime rib and salad Now that I can eat. Had a blueberry/banana shake for breakfast. And lunch is small bowl leftover pork stew. The dessert is the skunk at my picnic.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThorp View Post
My favorite comment was: "I'd lick the coconut oil off his abs." Definitely gave me a chuckle.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #238
Blabbermouth!!!

80/20 Mamasooze... Unless it makes you ill of course.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
80/20 Mamasooze... Unless it makes you ill of course.
Speck-I know, I know. Just mad at myself for not thinking it through. But the thought of that dessert does make me ill

Oh well, beating up on myself is over as of right NOW.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Betty- I do strength training and some cardio, but I've never felt the need for carbs to support my work outs. I think that need for carbs is for body builders (who are trying to add weight) and elite athletes who train for hours at a time.

I've never felt at all 'depleted' from working out by remaining low carb. I focus on getting sufficient protein to insure that I don't lose the muscle that I'm trying to strengthen.
I totally agree with this. I've only been exercising religiously for the past month, but I'm fine doing cardio and strength training without extra carbs. I did Atkins in the past and worked out for over an hour a day while remaining VLC - no issues.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote