Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #121
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I managed 9 this week! lol... I even ate some blueberries, I don't even like blueberries!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MouseGal
Stats: 344/329.75/175
WOE: Primal
Start Date: January 2012
Sunday morning weigh-in: down 4 more pounds this week. Seems almost like a let-down after last week, but heavens, if I could loose 4 pounds ANY week, I'll be happy!

My only challenge this week was having to eat out once for a business lunch -- Mexican food place, which is a HUGE temptation for me

I managed a salad with oil and vinegar, and some soup, which probably wasn't all Primal, but was my best compromise....
MouseGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #123
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi guys,

I've been super busy at work. It's the end of the first semester and grades as well as many other reports are due. I've been staying on plan, plus not eating anything except for coconut milk or...yes...butter in my coffee ....until 11:30 . Trying a 16 hr fasting window and 8 hr eating window. Trying to get some of that fat around my midsection burned off.

I've been trying to eat a diet very high in fat which would prompt my body to burn ketones for energy, which, as many experts have said, is the preferred fuel for our bodies anyway.

In terms of WL, I have lost about 7 lbs in about 2 weeks. Due to imbalances in my system, I am a very slow loser, but I am trying to correct those via proper nutrition and movement.

Because of my crazy work schedule, movement has been on the back burner this past week, unfortunately and I can feel becoming more depressed as a result of that.

Hope everyone is doing well and fighting the good Primal fight

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,500....and over 3,000,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 01-15-2012 at 07:56 AM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #124

Bravo, mousegal

Four lbs is amazing! You've done great! The only thing I can ever eat at a Mexican place nowadays is fajitas without the tortilla. It is tough because I love crunchy tortilla stuff.

I was raised on oil and vinegar dressed salads, so that has been easy for me. I notice that if I crumble some feta on top, it goes down much easier.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Hi guys,

I've been super busy at work. It's the end of the first semester and grades as well as many other reports are due. I've been staying on plan, plus not eating anything except for coconut milk or...yes...butter in my coffee ....until 11:30 . Trying a 16 hr fasting window and 8 hr eating window. Trying to get some of that fat around my midsection burned off.
I've been trying to eat a diet very high in fat which would prompt my body to burn ketones for energy, which, as many experts have said, is the preferred fuel for our bodies anyway.
In terms of WL, I have lost about 7 lbs in about 2 weeks. Due to imbalances in my system, I am a very slow loser, but I am trying to correct those via proper nutrition and movement.

Because of my crazy work schedule, movement has been on the back burner this past week, unfortunately and I can feel becoming more depressed as a result of that.

Hope everyone is doing well and fighting the good Primal fight
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I didn't get to do my walking/jogging due to a busy/stressful week (buying a new car). Hope to do better this week. Eating has gone well. Went to book club yesterday and ate on my salad *everyone loved my primal salad* and had some ham and a single spoonful of black eyed peas. One of the ladies remarked about my "skinny jeans"
Enjoying wearing my size 10's comfortably. Dare I reach for a size 8....

Eating today:
B-greek yogurt with blueberries and pecans
L-green smoothie or egg salad
S- TBD
D-BBQ shrimp and a BA salad--making my own Lea and Perrins knockoff http://paleodietlifestyle.com/homema...ondiments/#s10
That is all.

I am enjoying my experiments with coconut milk. Performs as well, if not better, than cream in my recipes. Made some curried cauliflower the other night and it was perfection

Last edited by mamasooze; 01-15-2012 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: added link
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #126

Snooze, you've done well. Hope you are enjoying your new car! Comfortably-fitting size 10s are skinny, indeed.

I have determined that exercise must be a top priority for me, but somehow it always falls by the wayside when other obligations kick in. I have been handling the eating part well, now I need to figure out the consistent movement part.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Quote:
Wow, Eliza, if 7 pounds in 2 weeks is being a slow loser, sign me up!! That's fabulous. Congrats to you for being so diligent.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
Wow, Eliza, if 7 pounds in 2 weeks is being a slow loser, sign me up!! That's fabulous. Congrats to you for being so diligent.
Thanks so much, Maryo! Yes, this has been faster WL than usual, I must admit. Before, it took me 18 months to lose 32 lbs. Last 3-4 months I had some shoulder pain problems and it knocked me off my game. I stopped paying attention to my diet... ..I was only about 50% low-carb, and immediately regained 9 lbs. So, the 7 lbs I've recently lost is "old weight" It's a fight to start losing some new weight.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #129
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Hi everyone I guess I have been primal for 2 weeks. Its great.
No diet soda for 15 days now no AS either of any kind. I don't
know when in my adult life have I ever done this.

For the most part I have been almost 100% i had a few oops.

Another new thing full fat cottage cheese I didn't know it tasted
so good. And full fat yogurt with blackberries OMG. I love it.

as far as stevia I taste it sometime ago and i just don't like it.

Why is stevia ok and other kind isn't?

23 pounds gone forever
162/139/135
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #130

Stevia doesn't impact the body negatively, while the others do, sucralose included. Some AS are called excitotoxins and are responsible for over 92 adverse effects they create in our system....aspartame is the worst of the bunch, as far as I know....
www.sweetpoison.com

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 01-15-2012 at 09:37 AM..
Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!

Mousegal and Eliza, good job on the dropped pounds. Wish I could say the same. :sigh:

I looked up info on stevia on *** and Mark says it's OK because not only does it not seem bad for you (except in MASSIVE quantities) it can actually be good for you and helpful in re-establishing insulin sensitivity. The forumites over there are a different story. Most of them seem to be against any kind of sweetening agent, at all. Some of them are pretty hard core and extreme, and after reading for a while, decided I don't want to be part of that community.
I'm in the process of transitioning over to stevia in my coffee and shakes. Right now I'm using half ez sweetz and half liquid stevia. And we got one of those little tubs of Truvia spoonable for when the kids want "sugar" on something.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Mousegal and Eliza, good job on the dropped pounds. Wish I could say the same. :sigh:

I looked up info on stevia on *** and Mark says it's OK because not only does it not seem bad for you (except in MASSIVE quantities) it can actually be good for you and helpful in re-establishing insulin sensitivity. The forumites over there are a different story. Most of them seem to be against any kind of sweetening agent, at all. Some of them are pretty hard core and extreme, and after reading for a while, decided I don't want to be part of that community.
I'm in the process of transitioning over to stevia in my coffee and shakes. Right now I'm using half ez sweetz and half liquid stevia. And we got one of those little tubs of Truvia spoonable for when the kids want "sugar" on something.
I noticed that over there too about NO sweeteners at all. If Mark says stevia is ok, then it's ok. Sheesh. I haven't had a problem with stevia and I only use 4 packets a day. I am off the Splenda now for more than a week. Don't miss it. I actually had a stevia plant last year and saved all the leaves and dried them. I steep the leaves in my hot tea. It's very mild. I did chew a green leaf one time and it was pretty bitter I have also noticed that different brands of stevia have varying degrees of bitterness and/or aftertaste. I found these packets at Sam's, took a chance buying them and have been pleasantly surprised.

But sorry I DO need sweeteners in my life...nothing worse than biting into a bitter strawberry. And I like my coffee with coconut cream and stevia. So there.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #133
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
I noticed that over there too about NO sweeteners at all. If Mark says stevia is ok, then it's ok. Sheesh. I haven't had a problem with stevia and I only use 4 packets a day. I am off the Splenda now for more than a week. Don't miss it. I actually had a stevia plant last year and saved all the leaves and dried them. I steep the leaves in my hot tea. It's very mild. I did chew a green leaf one time and it was pretty bitter I have also noticed that different brands of stevia have varying degrees of bitterness and/or aftertaste. I found these packets at Sam's, took a chance buying them and have been pleasantly surprised.

But sorry I DO need sweeteners in my life...nothing worse than biting into a bitter strawberry. And I like my coffee with coconut cream and stevia. So there.
Totally. I mean, really. There is a reason why I chose Primal over Paleo. I don't want to live a totally spartan life with no butter, cheese or anything sweet. Blah.
I use a liquid stevia I found from my vitamin supplier. I can't say where because of TOS, but it is very nice, and not bitter at all. My main problem with it that there seems to be a "delayed" sweetening effect. I mean, I take a sip of coffee and the first notes are the bitter coffee notes, and it takes a second or two for the sweetening power of the stevia to catch up. It's interesting and something I will adapt to.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

I've cut out all artificial sweeteners for the month of January (kind of an experiment). I'm drinking my decaf coffee black and I'm not drinking any diet soda, diet iced tea, etc. because of the AS. Maybe I'll try adding back stevia next month. That won't get me my diet drinks, but I'll be able to sweeten my plain yogurt (I also gave up dairy this month, so I haven't missed the sweetener in the yogurt yet, since there's been no yogurt). I'm not crazy about the taste of stevia, but it's probably better than nothing. I'll have to see next month.

Does anyone know if extracts are OK for primal? I borrowed the book from the library and don't have it anymore, so I can't check to see if extracts (vanilla, almond, etc.) were mentioned.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #135

Quote:
Totally. I mean, really. There is a reason why I chose Primal over Paleo. I don't want to live a totally spartan life with no butter, cheese or anything sweet. Blah.
I use a liquid stevia I found from my vitamin supplier. I can't say where because of TOS, but it is very nice, and not bitter at all. My main problem with it that there seems to be a "delayed" sweetening effect. I mean, I take a sip of coffee and the first notes are the bitter coffee notes, and it takes a second or two for the sweetening power of the stevia to catch up. It's interesting and something I will adapt to.
I'm with you, Speck. I need to have some kind of choice to be able to exist on this long-term and for life.

I tend to be a perfectionist and rebellious, so Spartan measures throw me into a very bad cycle of rebellion, beating myself up over not being perfect, becoming depressed, then giving up altogether.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #136

I drink my one cup of coffee per day black. DH and I went to Starbucks the other day, and he ordered his Americano with 12 sugars !!!!!! How can I make this man lower his sugar intake?!?!?! Lecturing, apparently, has not helped. He thinks that because he is slim, he needn't worry.

I cut out diet sodas 2 years ago, eat yogurt plain without a problem, but used to use sucralose. Now I use Stevia.

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 01-15-2012 at 11:38 AM..
Old 01-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I've cut out all artificial sweeteners for the month of January (kind of an experiment). I'm drinking my decaf coffee black and I'm not drinking any diet soda, diet iced tea, etc. because of the AS. Maybe I'll try adding back stevia next month. That won't get me my diet drinks, but I'll be able to sweeten my plain yogurt (I also gave up dairy this month, so I haven't missed the sweetener in the yogurt yet, since there's been no yogurt). I'm not crazy about the taste of stevia, but it's probably better than nothing. I'll have to see next month.

Does anyone know if extracts are OK for primal? I borrowed the book from the library and don't have it anymore, so I can't check to see if extracts (vanilla, almond, etc.) were mentioned.
I looked it my books and other than noticing pure, real vanilla extract being used in recipes, didn't see it discussed. So I went to *** and searched it. Mark says vanilla is good for us and use it liberally. He didn't say anything about other extracts, but he does say in the 21 day book that seasonings like Worcestershire sauce may not be 100% Primal but are used in such small amounts and provide such flavor, it's ok. So I would apply that logic to extracts.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #138
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I drink my one cup of coffee per day black. DH and I went to Starbucks the other day, and he ordered his Americano with 12 sugars !!!!!! How can I make this man lower his sugar intake?!?!?! Lecturing, apparently, has not helped. He thinks that because he is slim, he needn't worry.

I cut out diet sodas 2 years ago, eat yogurt plain without a problem, but used to use sucralose. Now I use Stevia.
Since I got a soda stream last year for my birthday, our soda consumption has gone way, way down. I still indulge in one soda a day usually. As for your DH, I don't know how old he is, but my slim 65 year old father was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a couple years ago, thanks, in part, to his sweet tooth. So, perhaps DH would like to swap out the sugar for stevia now, rather than for a glucose meter and stevia later.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
Daisey/Speck---

How has Primal+JUDDD been workin for ya?

I'm recommitting TODAY!!!! It's a must..
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Picked up some beefy soup bones at the store yesterday for $1.49 lb. Used the pressure cooker to cook them up with onions and fresh herbs from the garden. Then I strained all the veggies out and put the beefy bones back in the cooker and slow cooked all night. I just checked it and its very nice and dark. I'll strain again and put in mason jars, using some now(beefy soup tomorrow night) and then freeze the rest.

B-flax muffin in a minute with Polaner orange marmalade (have 2 jars to go through, it was on sale and I'm using just 2 teaspoons), coffee with coconut milk. Also, did not use Pam for my muffin, used macadamia nut oil and did just fine.
S-nuts--probably 1 oz. walnuts
L-egg salad, sliced tomatoes, lettuce
S- iced coffee with stevia and coconut milk
D-Balsamic marinated turkey thighs*, Brussels sprouts (sauteed in ghee) with toasted pecans
Dessert-TBD or none

*Using this marinade which is good for chicken and pork too:
10 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil

Last edited by mamasooze; 01-16-2012 at 07:01 AM..
Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #141
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
Daisey/Speck---

Going well!

Mamasooze - make sure you let the stock cool completely before you store it. I've heard it can sour if you put it away hot or warm. How do you like the macadamia nut oil? I've seen it at Sprouts, and it cost so much, I didn't want to risk it being blah.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Since I got a soda stream last year for my birthday, our soda consumption has gone way, way down.
My 12 year old got a soda stream for Christmas. She makes all kinds of disgustingly sweet concoctions, but I'm loving that thing for just carbonating some tap water. I like drinking it better that way, or maybe with a little fresh lemon juice squeezed into it.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Picked up some beefy soup bones at the store yesterday for $1.49 lb. Used the pressure cooker to cook them up with onions and fresh herbs from the garden. Then I strained all the veggies out and put the beefy bones back in the cooker and slow cooked all night. I just checked it and its very nice and dark. I'll strain again and put in mason jars, using some now(beefy soup tomorrow night) and then freeze the rest.
That sounds really good! I think a pressure cooker is going on my birthday list. Is there a particular brand/size that you would recommend?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #144
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Daisey/Speck---

wonderful. I am losing. 13 pounds to goal.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Going well!

Mamasooze - make sure you let the stock cool completely before you store it. I've heard it can sour if you put it away hot or warm. How do you like the macadamia nut oil? I've seen it at Sprouts, and it cost so much, I didn't want to risk it being blah.
I let it cool on the counter before I put it in the fridge. I think I'm going to go warm some up and take a sip. Glad you told me that so I'll be aware in the future. I got the mac oil online. I know which one you are talking about $ $ I got one much cheaper. Look around. *Netrition carries a reasonably priced brand* I like it a lot--a very light and neutral flavor. Great on salads.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That sounds really good! I think a pressure cooker is going on my birthday list. Is there a particular brand/size that you would recommend?
I got the electric one on a shopping channel. I think they are all about the same--same maker, just a different name. Mine is maybe 4-5 quart, has a high and low pressure as well as a slow cook. Best parts are automatic shut off and it's whisper quiet. It's hard to screw up anything in it.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I think I asked before but do you count cals on UDs??

Thats awesome primal+JUDDD is going well and that you are almost to goal!!

Today is going well for me(so far!)
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #148

Quote:
I let it cool on the counter before I put it in the fridge. I think I'm going to go warm some up and take a sip. Glad you told me that so I'll be aware in the future. I got the mac oil online. I know which one you are talking about $ $ I got one much cheaper. Look around. *Netrition carries a reasonably priced brand* I like it a lot--a very light and neutral flavor. Great on salads.
Sooze, I love bone broth. I make it regularly and freeze in canning jars to avoid plastic leeching into it. I just heat it up, add some chopped up scallions, vinegar, hot sauce, and voila - hot and sour soup. Sometimes I add an egg for egg drop soup. Comes out really delicious.

My dog, who is 10 already, has been getting more and more broth lately, too. She loves it and I feel it really helps keep her healthy. I am trying to get her away from store-bought dog food which is full of odd stuff and lots of wheat and corn products, and into eating the way dogs are naturally meant to eat - bones, meat, etc. She adores raw eggs and I try to crack at least one per day (organic) in her food bowl. She also loves raw cauliflower and oranges for some reason, and I allow her to eat them - I figure it is some kind of deficiency she is making up for. So, my Vanilla will soon be a fully Primal dog!

On another note, I bought some avocado oil online, but I can't say I'm crazy about the flavor. I thought it would make a very complimentary part of my salad dressing, but it didn't Next on the list to try - hazelnut oil. I remember buying walnut oil before but it tasted a bit rancid .... Don't know why, these are supposed to keep for quite a while.....Glad to hear macadamia oil tastes good.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #149
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't count cals. on uds. and I am still losing well.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
My 12 year old got a soda stream for Christmas. She makes all kinds of disgustingly sweet concoctions, but I'm loving that thing for just carbonating some tap water. I like drinking it better that way, or maybe with a little fresh lemon juice squeezed into it.
Yes! I like to use the fruit essence they have for it. Sometimes fizzy water is so much more refreshing than plain.

Quote:
Good to know!

Quote:
I think I asked before but do you count cals on UDs??

Thats awesome primal+JUDDD is going well and that you are almost to goal!!

Today is going well for me(so far!)
Glad you're doing well today! I don't usually count on my UDs anymore, I know from experience what my intake is. And I know you're talking to Dasiey because I am far from goal! lol