Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
oh, I'm hangin.

Isn't that what lifes about anyway? Just gotta roll with the punches..pick yourself up and try again!

This is a whole lifestyle change..not gonna be 100% overnight!

Can I ask you all a question? It's something I'm struggling with I think.

Can you honestly imagine going the rest of your lives without eating spaghetti and meatballs..or sushi(and rice) or CHEESECAKE?!!!
Or nachos or a hot dog at a baseball game? Popcorn in a movie theater?

And so on and so on and so on...lol

Or is this where the 80/20 rule comes in? OR is this just a mindset that our population as a whole is stuck in??
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Snipped from betty 301
Can you honestly imagine going the rest of your lives without eating spaghetti and meatballs..or sushi(and rice) or CHEESECAKE?!!!

MMM...in a word, yes. I love all those things and was addicted to them. Because of my over use of all those things I ballooned to almost 227 lbs. and i was miserable and sick with high blood pressure and acid reflux. The day I decided "enough was enough" was the day I stopped pasta, potatoes, breads, and well, anything white. I got off my duff and started walking 10,000 steps (not easy) a day. Within weeks my BP improved and I no longer popped the three purple pills *you're only supposed to take ONE a day* and was able to zip up my size 16 pants without lying down. I was 51 years old. Within 6 months I had run my first 5 K and within 2 years, 3 half marathons. The weight has fluctuated and unfortunately at one point I followed the ******* diet (don't ask) and about the same time we had a wedding, a birth, two very close deaths, job upheaval, illness and a major hurricane. All within 4 months. Most of that weight came back.

I entered a major STALL. The BP had improved but living without the acid reflux was the best thing EVAH. I have only had it once in about 6 years--I succumbed to some beautiful grilled rosemary new potatoes. Supposedly they are lower in starches and sugar. Um...no. A raging case of acid reflux followed. That ended any type of appetite I had for potatoes, my fave. I haven't had popcorn in the theatre in years. Not worth the pain.

Let things ride for a while and decided last June/July to read up on Paleo. Decided that DH and I needed a massive change and quit "dabbling" with low carb. Out went the wheat, the cheese, most dairy and the grains as well as cutting waayyy back on the alcohol. We found out after a while that we didn't miss it. Stall over ! and have dropped three pants sizes. Gone from XLG to LG and on way to M. Feeling good and looking better

Having said all that I do look forward to my "treats". A martini here and there, and I baked the kids some penne with Dreamfields, then had a large spoonful and sent the rest home with one of the kids. I don't seem to have triggers any more. Had a small piece of peppermint bark the other day *HOLIDAYS* and it didn't seem to have much taste. My palate has changed too. Went to lots of parties this season, even went on a cruise. I stayed on track. But if you want some cheesecake learn to make the low carb/no sugar ones, recipes on this site. We don't do rice anymore. I make cauliflower "rice" and my Cajun hubby doesn't know the difference. Make some paleo meatballs--example-using grated zucchini and cheese to bulk them up.

I have a web site where I park my favorite low carb/paleo recipes. Not all are low carb, but all can be easily adapted. I like to cook on the cheap too and have challenges from time to time. I'm thinking' on my next challenge
Nourishing The Soul

Sorry to be so long. In a nutshell--life is too short to worry about what you CAN'T eat. Focus on what you CAN eat. You'll be healthier for it.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
I'm not doing so well..today is my third day of day 2 of the 21 day challenge

Maybe I started at a bad time. I just started new thyroid hormones last Friday, we got a puppy on Saturday and my hubby had knee surgery yesterday.

A lot going on!
So what if it takes you a week to do each "day"? Progress, not perfection! And yah, you do have a lot going on.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
oh, I'm hangin.

Isn't that what lifes about anyway? Just gotta roll with the punches..pick yourself up and try again!

This is a whole lifestyle change..not gonna be 100% overnight!

Or is this where the 80/20 rule comes in? OR is this just a mindset that our population as a whole is stuck in??
I love Mamasooze's post.
And I'd say yes, this is where the 80/20 rule comes in. Know thyself. If having popcorn at the movies sends you into a tailspin where you find yourself face-first in a pizza and chocolate cake, then don't even go there. If you don't have those issues (or health related ones), by all means, have some dam popcorn! lol
Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Found a great organic grocery store. Went to get some Bubbies pickles and ended up spending $100. They better be some darn good pickles.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
Found a great organic grocery store. Went to get some Bubbies pickles and ended up spending $100. They better be some darn good pickles.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
Quote:
I second this
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #68
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Quote:
oh, I'm hangin.

Betty, it is a process and a struggle. I try not to ever think that I can "never" have something, because my rebellious nature will drive me directly to the thing I'm trying to avoid. I learned not to concentrate on what I cannot have or look into the future. For me, it has become a one-meal-at-a-time deal. I just make sure that one meal I am about to eat is on plan.

I absolutely stay away from grains because they are my kryptonite.......I grew up in a Mediterranean family where bread was served with and eaten at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I have an unusually strong attachment to grain products. I couldn't imagine going without bread, either, but what stopped me cold from eating bread, pasta, cake, etc. was reading about the multiple ways grains damage our health. Long before Wheat Belly came out.

Now I eat the meatball without the pasta. As I said, it is a process which takes time. Once you become fully low carb, as mentioned before, your palette will change and the chemical reactions in your body will change, and you won't crave the evil stuff as much.

Staying on plan is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Miles walked since July 2013 - over 1,160 .....and over 2,500,000 steps

Last edited by Eliza_Jazz; 01-05-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the replies!

I wonder how different it would be if I was single and only had to buy for myself!

I make our own bread and cookies for the kids. I don't buy processed stuff for the rest of the family..if they want 'junk' I make it. I feel good about that!

I don't have any food issues accept when I tell myself 'Im not allowed to have that,' I want it 100x more.

ya, we're all little rebels, haha!

I had my second whole Primal day yesterday!! I was tempted a few times during the day, can't lie.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #70

Betty, congratulations on your second fully Primal day!

I had a talk with my family (my son is 16) and told DH and DS that if they absolutely have to have snacks in the house to store them someplace I don't see them. It's like food wars in my house....I cook low carb, but it's tough to make a 40 y.o. and a 16 y.o. to follow a WOE they are not as passionate about as I am. So I've learned to pick my battles, but lecture daily on the evils of grains and sugar . Maybe some day it will sink in.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Jazz View Post
Betty, congratulations on your second fully Primal day!

I had a talk with my family (my son is 16) and told DH and DS that if they absolutely have to have snacks in the house to store them someplace I don't see them. It's like food wars in my house....I cook low carb, but it's tough to make a 40 y.o. and a 16 y.o. to follow a WOE they are not as passionate about as I am. So I've learned to pick my battles, but lecture daily on the evils of grains and sugar . Maybe some day it will sink in.
Betty. Hangin'!

I have four kids...all growed up now so it's just Pops and me. I do babysit 2 DGDs and keep graham crackers, bananas, clementines, apples and sun butter for their treats. They know they won't get junk to eat around here.

Pops has his ice cream *low carb* and I may indulge in one of those Breyers things every once in a while. It's just easier not to eat it so I don't have to worry about it later (shrug). DH also likes dark chocolate and nuts so those are his go-to for snacks...oh and sugar free puddin'. One trick that I did learn from my ******* Days *don't ask* was that the minute I end my evening meal, I eat a sf cherry jello and that is a signal to my brain that all eating is done for the day.

My eats today:
B-green shake (spinach, avocado, chocolate protein powder, ginger, blueberries, almond or coconut milk)
L-Chicken caesar salad
S-walnuts (1oz) orange/vanilla martini *one only*
D-Braised beef shanks, cauliflower puree
sf jello

Last edited by mamasooze; 01-06-2012 at 05:20 AM..
Old 01-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Love Bubbies. Oh, thanks. Now that's all I 'll think about today.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Quote:

I can definitely imagine never eating spaghetti and meatballs again, because i love spaghetti squash and meatballs. I will be perfectly happy to never have sushi or rice or nachos or a hotdog. I can live without popcorn. Cheesecake might be a different issue. I'm sure I will have low carb crustless cheesecake at some point, in small portions as a very occasional treat. I've pretty much concluded that grains are evil where I'm concerned,and I'm psychologically OK with never eating them again. I haven't reached the same conclusion with dairy and artificial sweeteners. I'm not eating them currently but at some point may let them slip into that 20%.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Wanted to add yesterday's menu . . . .

B: omelet made with 2 omega eggs and half a pound of veggies (onions, peppers, mushrooms and yellow squash), sauteed in coconut oil

L: more of a big snack - a few pieces of homemade turkey jerky

S: apple (had half in the AM and half in the PM) and a few strawberries

D: grass fed stew meat cooked in the crockpot with a couple tomatoes and seasonings. This was yummy!

S: 2 tbsp. almond butter w/ flaxseed and a handful of walnuts. These darned nuts are my downfall.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
Love Bubbies. Oh, thanks. Now that's all I 'll think about today.
Sooze, where do you buy Bubbies' here in TX? I need to get some but don't think I've seen any ....or maybe I just didn't pay attention
Old 01-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #76

Daily Eats:
B - lots of coconut milk in my morning coffee
L - pork ribs with green salad
D - fajitas without the tortilla
No snacks planned, but if inspiration strikes, I'll have something.

This is been my 8th complete day of on plan eating. Whooohooo!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryo View Post
Wanted to add yesterday's menu . . . .

B: omelet made with 2 omega eggs and half a pound of veggies (onions, peppers, mushrooms and yellow squash), sauteed in coconut oil

L: more of a big snack - a few pieces of homemade turkey jerky

S: apple (had half in the AM and half in the PM) and a few strawberries

D: grass fed stew meat cooked in the crockpot with a couple tomatoes and seasonings. This was yummy!

S: 2 tbsp. almond butter w/ flaxseed and a handful of walnuts. These darned nuts are my downfall.
Maryo, nuts are good for you, especially since you are only having a handful. Dairy (especially cream) is my downfall but I've been pretty good at avoiding it as of late. I am not planning on discontinuing it altogether...I love plain full-fat Greek yogurt
Old 01-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Today's menu...
B: coffee n cream; protein and vitamin shake
L: homemade veggie soup
S: more coffee
D: grilled steak, big a__ salad
Old 01-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sooze, where do you buy Bubbies' here in TX? I need to get some but don't think I've seen any ....or maybe I just didn't pay attention

HEB or Central Market or both have them. I'll look next time I go. Like in an hour
Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
HEB or Central Market or both have them. I'll look next time I go. Like in an hour
Thank you
I'll look them up next time I go, which is probably tomorrow.
Hope you had a productive trip to Central Market!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

yesterday wasn't perfect.

I think I know what the problem is..my poor fridge is bare..I get the hungries and everything is on notice!! lol

Day 3 redo today
Old 01-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #82

Quote:
yesterday wasn't perfect.

I think I know what the problem is..my poor fridge is bare..I get the hungries and everything is on notice!! lol

Day 3 redo today
You can do it! Betty, you show so much commitment and perseverance even in the face of a busy life with many other things going on!

It doesn't have to be perfect. I love Mark for his 80/20 rule. We strive for 100%, but don't stress out or give up if it's any less.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #83

I was 100 % on plan yesterday food-wise. However, didn't get a chance to walk at a slow pace (back issues), and will definitely be doing that today.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #84

Today's eats:
B - coffee with coconut milk
L - 3 eggs fried in butter with a sprinkle of cheddar
D - beef ribs, steamed green beans with garlic butter

Exercise: 2.5 miles walked on the treadmill at a slow pace - in 70 min.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You can do it! Betty, you show so much commitment and perseverance even in the face of a busy life with many other things going on!

It doesn't have to be perfect. I love Mark for his 80/20 rule. We strive for 100%, but don't stress out or give up if it's any less.
Thank you
Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rsmorales
Stats: 5'1'' 158
WOE: LCHF/Atkins/Primal
Start Date: November 26, 2013
Spaghetti and meatballs is totally doable. Just use Zucchini and get either a Julienne peeler or Spiralizer. Google " paleo + spaghetti" and see just how you can paleo-ize anything. Literally, there are paleo doughnuts, paleo pancakes, etc., made with wholesome ingredients--not the Atkins-style fake foods we're used to on this site. Usually with special cooking tools plus almond/coconut flours, butter, eggs and honey--we can imitate anything.

Eliza, I have beef ribs defrosting in the fridge. Do you have a recipe for cooking them? It'll be my first time...

Last edited by rsmorales; 01-08-2012 at 06:31 AM..
rsmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmorales View Post
Spaghetti and meatballs is totally doable. Just use Zucchini and get either a Julienne peeler or Spiralizer. Google " paleo + spaghetti" and see just how you can paleo-ize anything. Literally, there are paleo doughnuts, paleo pancakes, etc., made with wholesome ingredients--not the Atkins-style fake foods we're used to on this site. Usually with special cooking tools plus almond/coconut flours, butter, eggs and honey--we can imitate anything.

Eliza, I have beef ribs defrosting in the fridge. Do you have a recipe for cooking them? It'll be my first time...
Rsmorales,

I agree,the farther away from Frankenfoods, the better!

As for the ribs, we just season with salt, freshly ground pepper, other seasoning (I like smokey mesquite), then roast in the oven at 350 for about 50-60 minutes. Always come out good. The dog gets one of the bones, and the rest of them go into the crockpot with celery, carrots, onion, freshly-ground black pepper, and a bay leaf for delicious bone broth.

Dr. Catherine Shanahan lists bone broths as part of her pillars of traditional cuisine and as vital for good health. So one of my resolutions this year is to incorporate more homemade broths in our diet - in soups or by themselves. I sometimes reheat some, add some chopped scallions, hot sauce, salt, pepper, a bit of vinegar - makes a quick and nutritious mock hot and sour soup. Sometimes I just crack an egg to that for egg drop soup.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

I was reading PB and mark talks about eating trail mix. what is it/

I was wondering is raisins ok? what about dried cranberries.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!

thank you. raisins are not my fav either
but i can eat them.

but cranberries are ok then.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

You can also go with freeze-dried strawberry bits. Be wary of added sugar to any dried fruit.