Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #451
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Hey primal people!
Tonight we're having Paleo Indian Beef over quinoa. This is my first experience with quinoa. I know there's some debate about quinoa, and it certainly is NOT low carb, but I take one one day "off" of low carb each week and thought I'd give it a go.

Kim, I LOVE Brussels sprouts. I am the only one in my family who does. I've had the yellow zukes, but didn't care as much for their flavor. I've got 5 (yes five!!) zucchini plants growing in my garden. It's a good thing I love the stuff because it will be coming out of every corner in a couple months.

Egads. I have to do an average of 44 squats every single day the rest of the month to meet the challenge. I will do it!!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #452
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KyliesMom
Stats: 180/185/135
WOE: Atkins with eventual trans to Paleo
Start Date: 7/23/14
Speck YUMMY... Oh I hope I don't hate them also.... They were also selling the flowers fried... yes FRIED that's just weird - it wasn't at the Organic booth though it was a little ways down.

Question - I bought 3 pears - I don't like cold fruit - weird I know - but how do you poach pears? Can we do it Primal/Paleo?
KyliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #453
Blabbermouth!!!

Fried flowers. Odd. lol
All the poached pears I'm aware of are poached in red wine, which is primal approved!
Let's see if I can dig something up... check this out Paleo Digest
Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #454
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Fried flowers. Odd. lol
All the poached pears I'm aware of are poached in red wine, which is primal approved!
Let's see if I can dig something up... check this out Paleo Digest
The fried zuch/squash leaves are quite a delicacy here in the southwest. A lot of people raise the squash just for the flowers. And we love our yellow squash here-I assume that is what you are talking about. Yellow stuff as versatile as green. Much sweeter. Have a boatload of yellow squash recipes.

Did poached pears for a party one time. Used a a sparkling white wine- prosecco- for poaching. Added a bit of mint. When the pears got soft I served with a pineapple sherbet scoop and drizzle honey. Yumm.
mamasooze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #455
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey primal people!
Tonight we're having Paleo Indian Beef over quinoa. This is my first experience with quinoa. I know there's some debate about quinoa, and it certainly is NOT low carb, but I take one one day "off" of low carb each week and thought I'd give it a go.

Kim, I LOVE Brussels sprouts. I am the only one in my family who does. I've had the yellow zukes, but didn't care as much for their flavor. I've got 5 (yes five!!) zucchini plants growing in my garden. It's a good thing I love the stuff because it will be coming out of every corner in a couple months.

Egads. I have to do an average of 44 squats every single day the rest of the month to meet the challenge. I will do it!!
Love my Brussels sprouts and trying to grow some *fear it's too hot now* but once summer is upon us I Usually drop those suckers faster than you can say "Squat!". So many other veggies to get to

Trying to stick to a paleo/JUDD. I feel I'm doing only so so since I have commitments (family, dinner/lunch clubs and church) to meet and have a hard time what's up and what's down. That sounds like Dr. Seuss doesn't it? Have a down day tomorrow and think I can do the less than 500. It will be fairly low carb and as natural as I can make it

I love love love quinoa. I make a Mexican quinoa salad that kicks butt. I make it for our regular 4th of July get together.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #456
Blabbermouth!!!

I really liked the quinoa. Even my kids ate it and they are just about the pickiest people I know. My husband was "meh" about it. Primally speaking, though, we'd probably do just as well to have white rice, no?
I've been eating according to JUDDD rotations since October and I made the mistake ONCE to eat higher carb. It was so bad. I eat more Primal on my down days than my up days. On up days I tend to have low carb bread subs (like tortillas or pitas) once or twice a week, and then we go out to eat a couple times a month and I don't hold back. Otherwise, the two plans mesh really well. I lost really well at the beginning of JUDDD and was only having 3 down days a week (MWF), plus a "free for all" day on Saturday and the much maligned "medium day" on Sundays. It did work. Consider that for your life schedule.
I haven't had much success with weightloss overall, though. It's not JUDDD failing, it's me. I seem to "freak out" when I see a new low and essentially sabotage myself. I need to get serious about losing weight again.

Last edited by Speck333; 04-14-2012 at 07:20 PM..
Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #457
Senior LCF Member

Being Paleo... I'm grain free so quinoa is out for me but it sounds interesting.. I have to share my EXCITEMENT

Last night was the 1st night I was able to sleep without Zantac in over a YEAR

I don't know if it's because I started Acupuncture or because of the diet - but I don't care! I just HOPE I can stay Zantac Free
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #458
Blabbermouth!!!

That's awesome about your sleep. I have sleep problems, too. Zantac is for heartburn though, right? If you didn't need it, that's almost certainly related to the diet.

Quinoa is controversial among primal/paleo peeps. It's not really a grain, the way we think of other grains. It contains a complete protein and not as many antinutrients as grains. I won't eat it often, but I've heard so much about it, and I like to try new things.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #459
Senior LCF Member

Yeah I have had Acid Reflux since I as pregnant with my daughter and when I started taking allergy pills it got worse... so they put me on it... I thought last night.. well my allergies are better to the point where I don't really need the pills anymore (not sure if it's the diet or the acupuncture) so why not just try it and WALLA.... NOT REFLUX!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #460
Blabbermouth!!!

So, I'm going to work on figuring out a Primal workout schedule today and start a support thread for it. Any ideas or suggestions before I do?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #461
Senior LCF Member

As long as it doesn't involve a gym LOL
Old 04-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #462
Blabbermouth!!!

No, no gym. Don't worry!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #463
Blabbermouth!!!

All righty then! I started the thread for Primal Blueprint Fitness Support over here ≈≈≈Primal Blueprint Fitness Support≈≈≈
Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #464
Blabbermouth!!!

Everybody doing OK over here?

It's a JUDDD up day and I decided to take a Primal 20% day and ate a few things... everything bagel, regular yogurt, and half a tuna sandwich on white bread. That's it, I'm done. Got it out of my system. Grilled chicken and zucchini for dinner.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #465
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bflogurl
Anyone still lurking around here???
bflogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #466
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm still around.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #467
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bflogurl

I am waiting for my PB books to come in the mail but loosely following the diet plan (currently still using dairy)... how has it been for you??
bflogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #468
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, I'm having a rough patch right now diet-wise, so I haven't been altogether hard core. I'm about 50/50 right now. Will be getting back to business next week.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #469
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Doug_H
Stats: 265/203/ Under 200
WOE: Low Carb/Keepin' it simple
Start Date: Oct 99
I lurk here but don't post much. I follow a KISS diet mostly but can't afford to go organic. Retired and on a fixed income.
Doug_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #470
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amers337
Just thought I'd share a couple of Cookbook Ebooks I found. I didn't end up choosing to go fully Paleo, I really personally like Atkins, but these had some great recipes. I purchased the first two, but the other ones looked interesting!

Paleo Cookbooks - Complete Paleo Recipe Guide To Healthy Eating

Paleo Recipe Book - Brand New Paleo Cookbook

Paleo Cookbooks For Gluten-free Living

Paleo Diet Smoothies Recipe Book
Amers337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #471
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Dark chocolate gives me joint pain!

Quote:
Hey party people, what's goin' on over here? I may have eaten some bread when I was sick, and I may have eaten some fried goodies at the buffet last night, but otherwise, keeping in Primal! Still getting over the cold/upper respiratory infection from hell, so exercise is even more sporadic than usual. But I *have* been eating more dark chocolate!
Hi , I have finally reduced significantly my joint pain by eliminating dark chocolate!
After many experiments, and research I figured "for me" that it was the dark chocolate!
Apparently the liquer in dark chocolate causes arthritis symptoms I researched....so I tried eliminating it, and it worked.
Worse yet, if I cheat, it takes a whole week to get it out of my system!
So for my chocolate cravings, I use cocoa butter and add in my own sweetener.
Can be fabulous in cakes if substituting some or all of the melted butter!
Check it out!
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #472
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Very interesting. I am re-committed to Primal and finally reading the book in full. I'm doing it VLC - around 30 net for now.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #473
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
Very interesting. I am re-committed to Primal and finally reading the book in full. I'm doing it VLC - around 30 net for now.
Got my Practical Paleo book today. OMG and not to be trite, but OMG. It's great. Would love to chat but gotta go find a pen and sticky notes and get bizzy
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #474
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
I've heard that book is great!
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm going to give Paleo/primal a try. Started my Whole30 challenge today. But I'm keeping my butter, clarified of course. Clarified a pound last night in fact. Did a whirlwind cleanout of my pantry yesterday. Got my fridge stocked up with tons of veggies. Ate a pork chop and 2 scrambled eggs for breakie; lunch will be stewed chicken breast meat and a green salad; dinner is going to be something with beef sirloin. Giving up the dairy will be the hardest for me, but I can do just about anything for 30 days. Hopefully I can give up dairy altogether, but Primal may be as strict as I get long-term. But going to try the cold-turkey Whole30 challenge to get myself off to a good cleanout and good start.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #476
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: speds
Whole30 kind of scares me - it seems so militant.

But I agree that "Practical Paleo" is a terrific book! I'm reading it now - it's no small book but rather, I think, a "bible" for the way of life. She's definitely going to be leading the pack in that regard for the "go to" book for this lifestyle.
speds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #477
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I'm going to give Paleo/primal a try. Started my Whole30 challenge today. But I'm keeping my butter, clarified of course. Clarified a pound last night in fact. Did a whirlwind cleanout of my pantry yesterday. Got my fridge stocked up with tons of veggies. Ate a pork chop and 2 scrambled eggs for breakie; lunch will be stewed chicken breast meat and a green salad; dinner is going to be something with beef sirloin. Giving up the dairy will be the hardest for me, but I can do just about anything for 30 days. Hopefully I can give up dairy altogether, but Primal may be as strict as I get long-term. But going to try the cold-turkey Whole30 challenge to get myself off to a good cleanout and good start.
Good for you B!!!
Last summer we gave up the cheese and dairy. Never really missed it and my budget was glad too. We eat goat cheese and I eat the full-fat Greek yogurt. I use kefir and almond milk in my smoothies and really like experimenting with cashew "cream"- pesto, cilantro, garlic, etc. for meats. Haven't tried it for coffee, mostly use coconut milk for that. That milk mimics cream in soooo many ways. I have to freeze my butter, I use so little. I got some ghee at Cenral Market. Lasts forever. Also gave up the wheat but we do eat gluten free pasta from time to time. I got the Practical Paleo (took to office place and had them ring bind it for me) and have been enjoying as a good read- highlight and sticky notes. I think it's the way that we can always eat without any backsliding-- its been about a year now. I lost about 15, but like you I have some stubborn stuff would like to do 10-15 more but will just keep trucking- we sleep well and have energy. We aren't deprived. DH bought a pint of Bluebell for his birthday, ate half and tossed the rest. Loves that 70% chocolate stuff from Trader Joes. I allow him bolillos for lunch every once in a while, but I, of course, pass on them. No, this WOE is highly doable. Now if I could only get in those 50 squats a day, I'd be in business.

Good luck on the challenge!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Thanks Sooze. I just ordered Practical Paleo and look forward to getting my copy. I've followed the MDA blog for probably 2 years now and have toyed with the notion of a Paleo or Primal switch. Just now getting up the nerve to DO it! I spent the morning setting up a new Primal/Paleo category on my website and tried to tag all existing recipes there I think qualify for at least Primal food allowances, if not the purer Paleo. Hopefully that will help my regular Paleo and Primal visitors weed just those recipes out for browsing. Trying to maintain TWO websites would get to be waaaay too much work, I'm sure. At least that's the plan for the moment. May create a separate site one day, but I'll just see how this goes for now. I changed the subheading on the site to reflect the dual focus.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #479
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Thanks Sooze. I just ordered Practical Paleo and look forward to getting my copy. I've followed the MDA blog for probably 2 years now and have toyed with the notion of a Paleo or Primal switch. Just now getting up the nerve to DO it! I spent the morning setting up a new Primal/Paleo category on my website and tried to tag all existing recipes there I think qualify for at least Primal food allowances, if not the purer Paleo. Hopefully that will help my regular Paleo and Primal visitors weed just those recipes out for browsing. Trying to maintain TWO websites would get to be waaaay too much work, I'm sure. At least that's the plan for the moment. May create a separate site one day, but I'll just see how this goes for now. I changed the subheading on the site to reflect the dual focus.
Thanks for the heads up. Love browsing your recipes, taking notes. PP book has really good recipes. Been reading in bed. Most have only 3-4 ingredients. Good recipes for spice blends. Going to work on those this weekend. And you eat more paleo/primal than you realize.

Last edited by mamasooze; 08-16-2012 at 07:10 PM..
Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #480
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Hey I just started primal.read the book I love it.any advice out there?...
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote