Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #271
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I did not like those shiratake noodles at all. They were like chewing on rubber bands and my body *seriously* didn't know what to do with them, if you know what I mean. BUT they don't have a flavor of their own (though they are stinky until you've washed them a lot) and lots of people love them, so I hope you are one of them!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #272
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I'm adjusting my plan. I started in on primal trying to follow Kruse's leptin reset but it is driving me nuts.

So, I'm now just doing Sisson's version of primal without worrying about weight loss for now. After I get comfortable with it, I'll try the weight loss suggestions.

Yesterday:
B- hamburger and some coconut bread (coconut flour, CO, sea salt, eggs, stevia, baking powder)
L- veggie strips (wasn't hungry)
D- sirloin pan-fried in butter, broccoli with butter
dessert-- fruit cup (apple, orange, grapes, strawberries, banana)
then I had 3 pork rinds and a cup of herbal tea in middle of night (insomnia)

Worked out to 1500 calories and I was much more satisfied than when I was trying to diet down.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #273
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Seabeadz
Stats: 189/178/125
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Sept 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
I did not like those shiratake noodles at all. They were like chewing on rubber bands and my body *seriously* didn't know what to do with them, if you know what I mean. BUT they don't have a flavor of their own (though they are stinky until you've washed them a lot) and lots of people love them, so I hope you are one of them!
Oh wow, I second that opinion. Couldn't get past the smell to actually use them. I might have to search for some acceptable almond or coconut flour substitutes for when the noodle/bread cravings attack though, so DH's squishy white bread doesn't start looking good, lol.
Deb
Seabeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
The more I think about them Speck, the less I like them. Hungry Girl *you know her* love, love, loves them. They are one of the few low carb items she endorses. I'm going to hand these over to my daughter who loves all things HG. Ironic that "spaghetti" was in my plan today anyway...
Menu:
B-Coffee with coconut milk, 2 banana pancakes (unless I burn them, then I'll have 2 eggs, sausage)
S-1/4 cup trail mix
L-a late one at 2pm-green smoothie
S-1 oz.almonds or 1oz. dark chocolate or handful strawberries
D-spaghetti squash with vegetable pasta sauce (store-bought Williams Sonoma), BA salad, may have "tini tonight, no red wine open
Dessert-none

So far this week I've made 2 quarts beef bone broth, 1 pint grassfed ghee, and today I'm making a dozen big breakfast muffins with my over-ripe organic bananas using flax meal and almond flour. I slept 6 hours last night but got "interrupted", awake for a while, then back to sleep for two hours. Ok, the lemonade experiment lasted exactly one day Will give it another try tonight. But I do find the lemonade refreshing even at 8:30pm.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #275
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
thanks for the info.....
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
The more I think about them Speck, the less I like them. Hungry Girl *you know her* love, love, loves them. They are one of the few low carb items she endorses. I'm going to hand these over to my daughter who loves all things HG. Ironic that "spaghetti" was in my plan today anyway...
Menu:
B-Coffee with coconut milk, 2 banana pancakes (unless I burn them, then I'll have 2 eggs, sausage)
S-1/4 cup trail mix
L-a late one at 2pm-green smoothie
S-1 oz.almonds or 1oz. dark chocolate or handful strawberries
D-spaghetti squash with vegetable pasta sauce (store-bought Williams Sonoma), BA salad, may have "tini tonight, no red wine open
Dessert-none

So far this week I've made 2 quarts beef bone broth, 1 pint grassfed ghee, and today I'm making a dozen big breakfast muffins with my over-ripe organic bananas using flax meal and almond flour. I slept 6 hours last night but got "interrupted", awake for a while, then back to sleep for two hours. Ok, the lemonade experiment lasted exactly one day Will give it another try tonight. But I do find the lemonade refreshing even at 8:30pm.
Most of this menu was trashed today. Off my feed for some reason. Really feel, well, not crappy, but just not hungry plus just a wee bit crappy. This has gone on since yesterday morning with what I thought was too much yogurt, but the feeling has persisted. Don't even want the 'tini--could I be sick?

Menu ended up being:
B-2 eggs with bell peppers and mushrooms (did not sit well on my stomach for some reason)
S-trail mix plus 1/2 oz. dark chocolate
L-none
Snack late in day-2 banana muffins *made paleo (almond meal, flax meal, eggs, 1 T. honey, etc)*
D-a few ounces spaghetti squash with a bit of vegetable pasta sauce, 5 extra small meatballs (teeny-3 oz. at most) small bowl of un-BA salad with pistachio oil/balsamic (low sugar) dressing.

Think I'll go bed. The way I eat doesn't have anything to do with the way I feel. I know that. Besides, the HUB has gobbled up everything Must be something going on with me. Will still try my lemonade before bed. Oh! The DRAMA!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maryo
Stats: 220/127/120 5'5", 50+
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 2011 (restart)
Quote:
I don't mind the shirataki noodles. I don't eat them all that often, but when I do I enjoy them. I find that they're better in Asian dishes than as, say, a spaghetti substitute. Although I have used them with spaghetti sauce, I prefer spaghetti squash if I'm using tomatoes. What I do is rinse the noodles really well to get rid of the smell, then I cut them into much smaller strands with my kitchen shears,put them into a frying pan and cook them for at least 5 minutes to dry them out. I find that helps with the texture and makes them less rubber-bandy. I think drying them out also makes it easier for them to absorb whatever flavor you're using, since they really don't have flavor on their own.
Maryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #278
Blabbermouth!!!

Feel better, Mamasooze!

I know, Maryo, so many people enjoy them. Wish I was one! I did try the "tricks", but to no avail. I agree though, Asian influenced flavors would be the better application for them.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Feeling better this morning. Slept seven hours last night, so the bedtime lemonade stays for a while. Hope to do three mile walk in a bit. Cut way back on breakfast. Had just one banana muffin and some coffee with coconut milk. Hope to reinvigorate myself today.

Menu:
B-Paleo banana muffin, coffee
S-trail mix
L-green smoothie or BA salad *toss-up*
S-tangerine/cutie *maybe*
D-Pork roast, slow cooked (using onions, thyme and unsweetened apple sauce) with pureed sweet potatoes
Dessert-lemonade

OOH-found this recipe today..the ultimate low carb/paleo-happy breakfast?
OMG. Looks good. (via Bake an Egg in an Avocado...
Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #280
Junior LCF Member

Mamasooze, that avo-egg looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Is it so quiet in here because everyone has this figured out?

I'll fess up, I'm struggling a bit after an easy period. Why is it when you say it is doable, it becomes more difficult? The Ezekiel bread in my freezer is calling to me this morning.

Deb
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeadz View Post
Mamasooze, that avo-egg looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Is it so quiet in here because everyone has this figured out?

I'll fess up, I'm struggling a bit after an easy period. Why is it when you say it is doable, it becomes more difficult? The Ezekiel bread in my freezer is calling to me this morning.

Deb
Don't think everyone has quite figured it all out...working it though, working it
Me, myself, had been working on the 80/20 rule and hoping to be 100% (via Mark's Daily Apple), which I usually am. It's finding the time to get up and get moving that I have had problems with. That's not the be all end all but it sure makes me feel better at the end of the day.

TIP-Had the GREAT CUPBOARD CLEAN OUT OF 2012 almost two weeks ago and that has been a huge help. Just a quick scan of that pantry (and fridge) tells me everything I need to know how the menu goes that day/week/month.

I know what you mean about Zeke-he's always hollering my name when I pass the freezer at Kroger. I just say "Get thee behind me Zeke!" and head for the check out.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #282
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasooze View Post
Don't think everyone has quite figured it all out...working it though, working it
Me, myself, had been working on the 80/20 rule and hoping to be 100% (via Mark's Daily Apple), which I usually am. It's finding the time to get up and get moving that I have had problems with. That's not the be all end all but it sure makes me feel better at the end of the day.

TIP-Had the GREAT CUPBOARD CLEAN OUT OF 2012 almost two weeks ago and that has been a huge help. Just a quick scan of that pantry (and fridge) tells me everything I need to know how the menu goes that day/week/month.

I know what you mean about Zeke-he's always hollering my name when I pass the freezer at Kroger. I just say "Get thee behind me Zeke!" and head for the check out.
Lol @ Zeke. He's a tease!

Good clean out tip. I did, except for the frozen bread and Dh's junk which is not negotiable, but luckily, I'd choose fruit over frankenfood baked goods any day. Despite his absolute support of me, his personal choice is, "I don't care if I was sick and changing the way I eat would save my life, I wouldn't do it".

Deb
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #283
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
You know, Mark Sisson is a big fan of having that slice of bread (or other "off plan" food) every once in a while. This isn't Atkins and he doesn't believe that "one bite" will set you off. He has sugar in his coffee every morning.

There is no reason you can't have a slice of sprouted grain bread now and then and continue to be "Primal." Unless it somehow sets you off...

Obviously, if you are concerned you can't handle it, don't have it, but technically it's not 100% forbidden on this plan. It's what you do most of the time that counts.

Portia's Journal
Portia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 167/140
Was sick yesterday, so didn't eat much, but back today.
B: greek yogurt w 1 Tbsp raw honey, 1 cup organic chai tea
L: going out with stepmom but I know it will be a grilled chicken salad
D: Mark's fish tacos with citrus sauce
Have a good one!
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
You know, Mark Sisson is a big fan of having that slice of bread (or other "off plan" food) every once in a while. This isn't Atkins and he doesn't believe that "one bite" will set you off. He has sugar in his coffee every morning.

There is no reason you can't have a slice of sprouted grain bread now and then and continue to be "Primal." Unless it somehow sets you off...

Obviously, if you are concerned you can't handle it, don't have it, but technically it's not 100% forbidden on this plan. It's what you do most of the time that counts.
Exactly. Like me and my 'tini. If I gotta have it...I have it. But with other things, like the other day with my noodles. As much as I wanted the noodles in my broth, well, the moment passed and I just kinda moved on. Having said that, for the rest of the day today I will have buttered toast and egg on my mind
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttmom View Post
Was sick yesterday, so didn't eat much, but back today.
B: greek yogurt w 1 Tbsp raw honey, 1 cup organic chai tea
L: going out with stepmom but I know it will be a grilled chicken salad
D: Mark's fish tacos with citrus sauce
Have a good one!
Firm white fish on the grocery list this minute. Farmed catfish would be good.
Hope you are better today. My funk is over and walked 10,000 steps so far today. Amazing what a good night's sleep can do for you.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #287
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad you're feeling better today. I did the same thing, went to bed early last night and had a good night's sleep, and I'm feeling much better today. My kids brought home the crud from school, so it went through the house and I got it too
We normally don't even eat fish because I don't know how to prepare it, but the tacos looked great. Found some wild caught Alaskan cod so I thought we'd give it a try
Old 02-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #288
Junior LCF Member

Oh that's right, 80/20. Cool! I can handle that. Thanks for the reminder and sorry for planting the bread thought, lol. Fish tacos, now there's a good idea too.
Deb
Old 02-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm glad you're feeling better today. I did the same thing, went to bed early last night and had a good night's sleep, and I'm feeling much better today. My kids brought home the crud from school, so it went through the house and I got it too
We normally don't even eat fish because I don't know how to prepare it, but the tacos looked great. Found some wild caught Alaskan cod so I thought we'd give it a try
Thanks ttt. Slept all night again. Seven hours. Wow. Maybe something to all this lemonade at bedtime.

Menu today:
B-2 banana muffins, coffee with coconut cream *project today is to make paleo coffee creamer*
S-trail mix
L-Green smoothie or BA salad (TBD) Have a few ripe avocados that need to be eaten soon, real soon
S-iced coffee
D-Green gumbo with shrimp, brown rice (for DH and none for me). Picked lots of greens from my garden yesterday and bought a bag of washed, cleaned collards on manager's special for $1.29. I will be experimenting making my roux with something other than refined white flour.

Not much motion today, light rain again. May just break out the xbox or put on some 50's music and dance while I clean house.

Where are you Eliza Jazz Come back!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #290
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Has anyone found any links to sites with Primal or Paleo success stories? I would love to see that!
Portia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #291
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Portia, Mark's Daily Apple website has a great big section on it. We are not supposed to link to outside websites. But if you got ***, there is a tab right at the top that says "Success Stories".
Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Speck, I read in your blog here about the media fast. Is anyone here deliberately limiting use of electronics, on a regular basis?

The EMFs, staring at the computer screen, watching tv, it all adds up.

Am off for some outdoor time and sunshine.

Best wishes to all.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #293
Blabbermouth!!!

I've gotten pretty good at a not using the computer or iphone the last hour before I go to bed. It has really helped me relax at night.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

I know it's a little late, but today was:
B: pistachio nuts, 1 cup organic chai tea
L: went out to lunch with hubby, had wedge salad with 1/2 baked potato with veggies and butter
D: grilled chicken skewers (was duck in Mark's book, but we don't like duck), broccoli

Tomorrow morning is my weigh in with my weight loss buddy, and we'll see if this week was a success even though it hasnt been 100% clean . Trying to eat clean and lose the weight but not be obsessive about it.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Speck, I have found the electronic "stuff" creeping in too much. I'll join you in that last-hour respite. Thanks for your post.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Speck, I have found the electronic "stuff" creeping in too much. I'll join you in that last-hour respite. Thanks for your post.
Been working and thinking on the media fast a lot this last week. Baby steps.I have turned off everything and "fasted" about 2-3 hours most days. I have found it's more habit than anything to: turn on tv, check email, turn on radio in car, check the news feed, etc. So in my fasting time I have no tv on and have read a book, turned on classical music on the radio *studies have shown it has a soothing effect*, sat at window and watched birds at the feeder. I like it and look forward to it now and will try to keep it up. I will try to give up more computer time or at least make my time on the computer more efficient.

Menu:
B-2 banana muffins *thanks for the great recipe Dottie*, 2 cups coffee with coconut creamer
S-trail mix
L-raspberry chocolate smoothie *found my lost cocoa powder in the GREAT CUPBOARD CLEAN OUT OF 2012* and may add avocado since I still have some very ripe ones
S-TBD
D- ribeye steak, caesar salad (I usually use Martha Stewart's recipe, need to review for paleo/primal)

Will abstain from computer from 4pm this afternoon to 4pm tomorrow
Old 02-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #297
Blabbermouth!!!

That's an ambitious computer fast Mamazooze
Old 02-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
That's an ambitious computer fast Mamazooze
Actually did it sorta kinda last Saturday/Sunday...cooking/cleaning and Super Bowl and all.

Just didn't realize I was doin' it
Old 02-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Good morning! Well, this week so far down 2.3. Sat is the weigh day with my weight loss buddy, but I won't actually record weight until Mondays (keeps me more honest on the weekends lol).
Anyway, today's menu
B: primal pancakes, 2 cups coffee
L: leftover chicken skewers
D: Mark's Korean style blackberry ribs, big salad
Old 02-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Good morning! Well, this week so far down 2.3. Sat is the weigh day with my weight loss buddy, but I won't actually record weight until Mondays (keeps me more honest on the weekends lol).
Anyway, today's menu
B: primal pancakes, 2 cups coffee
L: leftover chicken skewers
D: Mark's Korean style blackberry ribs, big salad
Wowza ttt! Kickin' it