Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 2kids2cats1dog
My story... 17 days and going strong.

In college, 10 years ago, I dropped 70 lbs on Atkins in about 4 months. I had tons of time to exercise twice a day.

Over the last 9 years I got married, had two kids, nursed them each for 3+ years which allowed me to make an excuse for not being in ketosis.

Here I was, 5'3 260 lbs, 33 years old. I have no idea what my measurements or BMI are, but they're bad.

Two weeks ago, Wednesday, I started following a general Paleo plan. I'm finding that to be pretty challenging because I'm getting tons of different ideas from different places. I have a 'friend' who has lost 130 lbs in about 13 months on Paleo. But right now, I'm not too fond of her (wasn't really BEFORE she lost the weight, so admitting to her that I'm trying this too... would just be too much for my already sensitive ego), so I'm not feeling like asking her. It seems like every time she turns around she is posting pictures of chocolate covered bacon, cookies she and her husband have made, pies with nut crusts and honey instead of sugar. I think between them, they've lost about 200 lbs.

Here's an example of the last two days:

Yesterday--

Breakfast: 6 ounces leftover chicken coated in unsweetened coconut and almonds.

Snack: 1 ounce raw almonds

Lunch: 4 ounces poached salmon, steamed beets, 1 hard boiled egg, a handful each of cherry tomato, bell pepper, and cauliflower.

Snack: 1 ounce macadamia nuts

Dinner: 6 ounces cooked ground beef on a bed of lettuce with grilled onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers--with a little basil pesto on the side.

Snack: Our first attempt at paleo pumpkin pie (organic raw honey instead of sugar, coconut milk instead of sweetened condensed, and pecans and almonds with organic butter for the crust).

Today has been:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs in 1 teaspoon organic butter with mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers sauteed in organic coconut oil.

Snack: Grapes

Lunch: pork from a mexican place on a bed of lettuce with guac.

Snack: Almonds

Dinner: Roasted chicken, steamed beets, and butternut squash with a little butter with sea salt and pepper.

-------------------------

I have completely removed all white food--no pasta, no rice, no potato, no refined sugar. I don't drink coffee (never liked it). I have used a bit of organic heavy cream to make a sauce reduction a couple of times. I realize that there is some cheese in pesto, but not a lot.

The first three days of being on this eating plan were torture. I had a horrid headache. Once that passed, though, I've felt much better.
--------------------------

So it's been 17 days, I guess... and I'm down 11 lbs.

ELEVEN!

I guess I'm doing alright. I haven't had a chance to work exercise into my program because we've all been on the sick side. My lungs are still burning from the flu, so I'm waiting until I'm feeling mostly better.

I'm really confused about dairy, 'lean meats', and fruits. Obviously, my goal is to lose a significant about of weight. Feeling better has been good for me, though. I have two kids, and while I'm slowly working through all the flour, pasta, rice, etc in our house.... for them... I've been working more Paleo things into everyday for everyone in our house.

I also don't understand the different between Primal and Paleo. Anyone care to elaborate?
2kids2cats1dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
My understanding (I'm no expert) is that primal permits some dairy, wine, chocolate, but I think the distinctions are pretty fluid. Most Paleo/primal I've seen permit and even encourage healthy clean (ie organic and pastured) saturated fats and you are not limited to lean cuts.

"grok" would definitely have gone for the fat!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 2kids2cats1dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
My understanding (I'm no expert) is that primal permits some dairy, wine, chocolate, but I think the distinctions are pretty fluid. Most Paleo/primal I've seen permit and even encourage healthy clean (ie organic and pastured) saturated fats and you are not limited to lean cuts.

"grok" would definitely have gone for the fat!
I buy my meats from Whole Foods... free range/organic... whenever available. What is GROK?
2kids2cats1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cuthbert
Stats: 265/199/200
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: December 2010
On the whole, your diet looks okay, but the point is not to find substitutes for your old way of eating. For example, the breading and crust subs aren't really something paleolithic man would have considered. The idea here is to stick to the basics as far as real food is concerned and use spices to augment taste.

The dairy portion of Paleo is to try 30 days without it and then reintroduce it to see if you do have some sensitivity issues. You are trying to find the sources of inflammation and deal with them. That in turn will help with overall health and in your case weight loss.
Lean meats are only necessary if you are eating them from non grass fed sources. Feed lot beef finished on grains carry a heavy load of omega 6 fatty acids which can again feed systemic inflammation, plus there may be some fat soluble compounds in grain fed animals that you don't want either.

The fruit thing is about using a bit of restraint. Our ancestors would not have the access to or variety of fruits we can get anytime at the grocery store. They would have eaten much smaller and probably less plump versions only when in season.

Regarding Primal vs. Paleo, they are nearly interchangeable with Mark Sisson using the primal name and also being a bit less rigid about things like dairy and fruit

Necessity is the mother of invention, but laziness is the father. <me>

You can lead a horse to water, but an enema may be required. <me>

If eating fat makes you fat, then what does eating fruit make you?
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cuthbert
Stats: 265/199/200
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids2cats1dog View Post
I buy my meats from Whole Foods... free range/organic... whenever available. What is GROK?
Grok is a fictional character created by Mark Sisson that exemplifies the primal lifestyle and sense of play. Check out Mark's Daily Apple site for more info.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #6
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
way to go! keep up the good work!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Desdemona98
Stats: 154/154/125
WOE: Primal
Start Date: still trying to start...
Congrats on the 11 lbs! If you want to lose weight faster avoid dairy.. especially milk, it has carbs. Cheese is pretty low carb however and somewhat high fat as long as you buy full fat cheese. I think no-flavor yogurt is pretty low carb too, but don't remember.

As far as health goes, you'll find dairy debates online. I personally love it and figure if I gave up my pasta I could keep that, haha.
Desdemona98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I can't believe you're even getting critiques.
11 pounds in 17 days is awesome. Many peop would be quite envious.
Great job.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
great job. any more updates.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote