Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cowboygus
Stats: 375/317/225
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
Is a fruit smoothie "processed?" :D

So I've been low carbing for a while now, but I need to mix it up now. I need more fiber and more variety.

An easy way for me is to start eating fruit and berries. I've seen a few primal/paleo sources say that most fruit could (generally) be eaten liberally, as long as it is fresh and unprocessed. Also, no juice or dried fruit.

So the question is, is blending the fruit in a blender (with a little cream and ice), considered "processing" it? I have a pretty powerful blender, so I am kind of wondering how effective the fiber still is when it's been mutilated like that.
cowboygus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I'd skip the cream and use either coconut milk or almond milk and a little stevia
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
technically yes, when you blend it you are processing it, but I doubt that's what they mean by unprocessed. they want you to start with real fresh fruit, not something from a can that's been heated and pasteurized and fiber removed and sweetened and frozen and thawed and who knows what else.

Making the smoothie yourself should be fine, just use fresh or frozen fruit.

You can't mutilate fiber by blending it. it will still be there. the exception would be Juicing, as it separates the juice from the fiber. You aren't using juice so that's not an issue.

the only other consideration is that since it's liquified, it will digest faster than if you just chewed it up, but that's getting nit-picky IMO. if you drink it all in one shot, you will get a rush of carbs more quickly than if you slowly chewed the fruit piece by piece over 5 min time. If that worries you then I'd say just drink the smoothie slowly and deliberately. Enjoy!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 10-28-2011 at 02:26 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cowboygus
Stats: 375/317/225
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
You can't mutilate fiber by blending it.
I don't know, you haven't seen what my blender can do to an iPhone...

I tease! Thanks for the replies.

Oh and my wife really likes it with Almond Milk. I should give it a try. The fat in the cream makes it pretty satiating though.
cowboygus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboygus View Post
I don't know, you haven't seen what my blender can do to an iPhone...

I tease! Thanks for the replies.

Oh and my wife really likes it with Almond Milk. I should give it a try. The fat in the cream makes it pretty satiating though.
Have you got a youtube video of this? Almond milk makes nice smoothies. I've been trying Coconut milk lately, the milk sub styles in the fridge section, it's really smooth and thick and has some coconut fat in it also. might be good and satisfying for smoothies. I use it for protein shakes and chocolate milk and it's creamy enough for those.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
Most of the primal/paleo sources I have seen (Primal blueprint-Mark Sisson & The Paleo Solution-Robb Wolf) recommend eating very little fruit if weightloss is your goal.

I actually haven't seen any sources say that you should "eat fruit liberally". I think lots of people get into trouble with taking that approach because all of the sugar doesn't allow you to keep your blood sugar stable. Which could lead to hunger and cravings for some.

I think most sources say that eating sugary fruit is best post workout or for those that are underweight and want to gain.

Last edited by Tonedbody; 10-28-2011 at 04:48 PM..
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote