Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Chasintrail
Stats: 205/? size 10/8-10 5'6"
WOE: Primal - high-fat/real food
Lard beautiful lard

Oh yum

I picked up 12 lbs of pastured pork fat on Sat. I rendered about 1/2 of it yesterday and have 4 1/2 beautiful pint jars of white creamy lard on my counter... My house smells devine.

Now I just have to get the other 1/2 done and I'm good for lard for a year and have enough for Christmas presents
Chasintrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Oh nice!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
I have some lard in the fridge. I have only used it once unsuccessfully to fry some chicken.

I am not sure what I will do with the rest.
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
We always made Mexican food with lard growing up. For things like carne guisada and carnitas, it gives the best flavor
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I use it to sautee veggies. Fry steaks, fry chicken (no coating), fry eggs, etc. Almost anything you'd use butter or CO for, you can use lard.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nanberrycritter
Stats: 315/283/135 5'5" age 42 (scale-free since Dec)
WOE: LC primal + raw dairy
Start Date: ketogenic since Dec 20, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasintrail View Post
Oh yum

I picked up 12 lbs of pastured pork fat on Sat. I rendered about 1/2 of it yesterday and have 4 1/2 beautiful pint jars of white creamy lard on my counter... My house smells devine.

Now I just have to get the other 1/2 done and I'm good for lard for a year and have enough for Christmas presents
Ooh, wanna be my new best friend?
nanberrycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
I don't know if this can be useful but I like to get those big pieces of lard, slice a few thin slices (not so thin in the end, lol!), place them in a pan and fry up, then when they're getting crackly, crack a couple of eggs on top and let them fry in the melted lard.
The final result is fried eggs with a pork cracklings base.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sidhartha
Stats: 240/219/200
WOE: LC/Paleo mostly
Start Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Oh yum

I'm curious of your method of rendering it. Do you just slow heat it in a pot or skillet?

Also. it's probably a dumb question, but how do you use the lard? I use store bought lard, but only to fry with.
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I just chop it up into little cubes and put it in the over at 275F until it's all melty. You can do it on the stove top too, but the oven seems easiest.

I use it for everything that needs added fat, frying meat, sauteeing veggies, cooking eggs, etc.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Chasintrail, congratulations! Those folks who get freshly rendered lard from you for Christmas are in for a treat!

Sidhartha, I like the water method of rendering. Chopped up bits of lard in water, in a pot or a crock pot. A potato in the mixture helps soak up piggy smells. When cool, put the pot in the fridge. When completely chilled, just pick up the beautiful, chunk of lard off the top.

I use beef fat now for food, rather than pig fat, and keep jars of rendered fat handy for cooking, or putting in tea.

I also make soap from lard: for bathing, washing dishes, laundry, etc.

It can also be put in salves and lotion bars. I find the salves and bars are nicer with animal fats.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 12-22-2011 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: typing error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sidhartha
Stats: 240/219/200
WOE: LC/Paleo mostly
Start Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
I just chop it up into little cubes and put it in the over at 275F until it's all melty. You can do it on the stove top too, but the oven seems easiest.

I use it for everything that needs added fat, frying meat, sauteeing veggies, cooking eggs, etc.
Thanks for responding, that seems simple and straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
.....Sidhartha, I like the water method of rendering. Chopped up bits of lard in water, in a pot or a crock pot. A potato in the mixture helps soak up piggy smells. When cool, put the pot in the fridge. When completely chilled, just pick up the beautiful, chunk of lard off the top.

I use beef fat now for food, rather than pig fat, and keep jars of rendered fat handy for cooking, or putting in tea.

It can also be put in salves and lotion bars. I find the salves and bars are nicer with animal fats.
Thanks so much for the info. I save beef fat (from browning cheap ground beef) in the freezer and feed it to the birds as suet in the winter. Would you consider this type of beef fat to be acceptable to use?

Why beef fat over pig fat?

Do you just put a glob of beef fat in your tea? For taste? To assure you get a certain amount of fat a day? You've really got my curiosity up! Thanks again.

Last edited by sidhartha; 12-31-2011 at 11:51 AM..
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, Sidhartha. I save all fat from cooking beef, whether it is ground or not. And, yes, I just put a dab of that saved fat into my tea, or mix it with beef broth. I find the beef fat very satisfying. Keeps down the desire to use too much cream.

I don't eat pork, as I only eat meat and fat from ruminants.

Here is some info on Tibetans and their tea, which might be of interest. I like beef fat and beef broth and currently use milk with lactase, and sometimes a bit of cream. It is warming and satisfying.

I find beef fat, by far, the most satisfying fat, pastured butter is in second place. Cream takes third place, and is more an indulgence. Beef fat in tea in the morning, especially with beef broth and that bit of dairy, is a nice comfort, and nourishes something, for which tea is only a shabby substitute. The explorer, Vilhjalmur Stefansson wrote about drinking meat broth rather than tea or coffee. I am trying to wean myself off of modern convenience foods, such as tea and decaf coffee. Meat fat and broth are the real thing!

Last edited by Auntie Em; 01-06-2012 at 01:51 PM..
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Chasintrail, congratulations! Those folks who get freshly rendered lard from you for Christmas are in for a treat!

Sidhartha, I like the water method of rendering. Chopped up bits of lard in water, in a pot or a crock pot. A potato in the mixture helps soak up piggy smells. When cool, put the pot in the fridge. When completely chilled, just pick up the beautiful, chunk of lard off the top.

It can also be put in salves and lotion bars. I find the salves and bars are nicer
with animal fats.
Wow. This is so impressive. Soap? You are amazing
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rsmorales
Stats: 5'1'' 158
WOE: LCHF/Atkins/Primal
Start Date: November 26, 2013
I did this same thing with 5 lbs of grassfed ground beef fat that I picked up from a local farmer. I didn't know what to do when I got it, so I literally put it into a pot, boiled it and went on Youtube for a detailed explanation! Lol. Basically, the 5 lbs of fat boiled, the oil separated itself from the meat, and I strained it into 2 mason jars using a splatter screen. I used it in my dinner and it tasted really good. Clean, not beefy at all. My grandma came in the kitchen and was like WOW--what is that smell? What are you cooking? (me: "fat")

She winced and ran back into her room. Haha.

Some of the paleo gurus like Robb Wolf, etc. use beef fat and mix in coconut oil, butter, etc to make a highly nutritious cooking fat.

Doesn't that sound amazing?! I feel like Ive been let in on some longstanding secret by knowing about the difference between n-6 and n-3 fats, and knowing about the massive imbalance that most Americans have. Also, knowing about the dangers of wheat and gluten has changed my life to where, even at age 25, I can go to my favorite pizzeria, and watch as my friends and boyfriend devour fresh Italian pizza with sausage, pepperoni, etc. while I eat a friggin salad with oil and vinegar.

Last edited by rsmorales; 01-08-2012 at 06:53 AM..
rsmorales is offline   Reply With Quote