Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
The Oct 30 Day Paleo commitment challenge!

Anyone care to join me?
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Sure - I am dong Primal (similar to Paleo). I just started last week.
Portia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Sounds good! I think this should have been a 31 day challenge since there are 31 days in October. I did Primal last month because I included dairy. This month I am going dairy free. I think I may remain dairy free because I am lactose intolerant and I think it might be more beneficial for my body.

B: Steak
L: Steak & cucumber salad
D: ???

Great Guidelines in the Paleo FAQs thread:
~*PALEO*~ FAQs

Last edited by Tonedbody; 09-30-2011 at 06:47 AM..
Old 09-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Taragh
Stats: 165/161.25/154
WOE: Clean/LC
I'm in! Had major chocolate shaped glitch this afternoon
Taragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Ice
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ice
Count me in.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Ice
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ice
Toned body, question, are you doing the LR vs just Paleo? I notice in your signature block you specify October's Plan: -50g Protein for breakfast (Dr. Kruse)

I've decided to get some bloodwork done at my next dr appt and if I'm not high/low on leptin, I'm not going to do the reset.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Caty
I'm in - lets try for another 10 lbs. this months. Why not!
Caty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
I am sticking with Primal - dairy seems ok with me.

What are you all doing for your workout? I am really a beginner there - I had one session with a crossfit trainer but she has more or less bailed on me.
Portia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Toned body, question, are you doing the LR vs just Paleo? I notice in your signature block you specify October's Plan: -50g Protein for breakfast (Dr. Kruse)

I've decided to get some bloodwork done at my next dr appt and if I'm not high/low on leptin, I'm not going to do the reset.
I am doing the 50g breakfast as well as paleo. I usually stick to a protein breakfast. A steak, two chicken thighs, meatballs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
I am sticking with Primal - dairy seems ok with me.

What are you all doing for your workout? I am really a beginner there - I had one session with a crossfit trainer but she has more or less bailed on me.
I workout three times per week. I do step aerobics, aerobics, and kickboxing. I go to group classes each class is an hour long.

I went out of town this weekend and my eating was great!

I had eggs and chicken for breakfast, eggs smoked salmon and salad for brunch. I used olive oil and lemon juice as my dressing and drank water and herbal tea. I had roast chicken collard greens and cabbage for dinner.

I ate twice a day on the trip because two meals was enough to fill me and we were busy running around doing fun things. I love this way of eating. I even got in an extra workout. Did a 3 mile Leslie Sansone walk

I weighed myself after doing primal for a month and I had only lost 4 pounds. I realize that I need to shift my focus and I may stop weighing myself all together. That feels really good to me right now.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I'm beginning today. Interested in seeing if giving up dairy improves my autoimmune conditions and hopefully I'll lose some more lbs. I'm encouraged by what I've been reading in these threads!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SheilaBF
Stats: 235/214/170
WOE: Atkins/ Paleo/ Primal
Start Date: restart Sept.23,2011
Count me in for Oct. LC Primal. 1. Cream and butter - in. 2. Any added sweet taste- out. 3.Walk 5-7 times a week.
SheilaBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

B: Sausage
L: 10 Hot wings and celery
D: Corned beef brisket and cucumbers
Old 10-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecinUK
Hi!

I am hoping to join this group. I am starting a 30 day full paleo challenge with no cheats at all intended and then if I am happy with the lifestyle I will try and stick 90/10 moving forwards.

I just read Robb Wolf's book and listen to his podcasts and the diet just makes so much sense for your health.

So I am starting from today 5th October and will finish on the 3rd so i'm a little late on this group but hope that is ok.

My plan is to give my scales to my sister for the month and focus on just the food and staying on plan as I become obsessed with the scales otherwise.

Off to the supermarket later to start planning some meals.

I plan on doing: no dairy, grains or legumes and no alcohol for 30 days. Just sticking to veg, meat and fat with possibility of a few nuts and fruits but will try and minimise them initially to kick start some of this weight!

I will be back later to report how I'm doing.

Good Luck Everyone!
BecinUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Welcome BecinUK!

Today's Menu:

B: Tuna in olive oil, 2 eggs, green onion, & capers (made into a lovely omelet) YUM!
L: Corned Beef Brisket & cucumber salad
D: Grilled pork chops and celery
Old 10-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Happy to report a great first day!

Here are my meals:

B: 2 hard boiled eggs
L: homemade meatballs and tomato sauce
D: beef mince with green beans, fresh chillies and tamari

Also had some celery, fresh coconut and herbal tea
Old 10-06-2011, 03:43 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I am still feeling great, moving along

B: Tuna in olive oil, 2 eggs, green onion, & capers (made into a lovely omelet)
L: Corned beef brisket and cucumber salad
D: Steak and celery
Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Day 2 stuck on paleo! Just waiting to feel good again. Definitely for me that is the best part about being healthy.

Here is what I ate today:

L: turkey breast and tomato and cucumber salad with a bit of avocado
D: beef mince with green beans, fresh chillies and tamari and left over tomato and cucumber salad

Snacks: coconut, hot water with lemon
Old 10-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Feeling like i'm on the mend today. Saying that, I did have a couple chocolate cravings but none too strong to make me eat any.

Brunch: massive 4 egg omelette with onions and mushrooms
Dinner: steak with roast courgette and green beans and spinach with garlic

Snacks: small avocado, celery, cucumber and hot water with lemon
Old 10-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I feel wonderful! Thriving to be exact!

I am so grateful to have found this way of eating, simple and elegant and healthy!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Day 6 for me. i had an allergic reaction to flax the other day, for two days in a row, so won't be eating that anymore. Not sure it's the cleanest paleo way to eat it anyway.
I have had some wine and chocolate, and did I say I'm finding it very hard to do without dairy?
I'm hungry a lot between meals. I guess I need to up my protein, maybe fat too.

I am eating non-starchy veggies with as much meat as I want and I like fattier meats so don't feel I'm skimping on fat. I cook with coconut oil and put that and coconut milk in coffee and tea. I put olive oil and balsamic vinegar on salads. I'm eating some nuts.
Also consuming some almond milk.

Am I eating pretty paleo or not? Opinions welcomed.

I am feeling kind of blue.....change in diet? I have been eating very low carb for two years so do not think it's that....just giving up dairy?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girondet View Post
Day 6 for me. i had an allergic reaction to flax the other day, for two days in a row, so won't be eating that anymore. Not sure it's the cleanest paleo way to eat it anyway.
I have had some wine and chocolate, and did I say I'm finding it very hard to do without dairy?
I'm hungry a lot between meals. I guess I need to up my protein, maybe fat too.

I am eating non-starchy veggies with as much meat as I want and I like fattier meats so don't feel I'm skimping on fat. I cook with coconut oil and put that and coconut milk in coffee and tea. I put olive oil and balsamic vinegar on salads. I'm eating some nuts.
Also consuming some almond milk.

Am I eating pretty paleo or not? Opinions welcomed.

I am feeling kind of blue.....change in diet? I have been eating very low carb for two years so do not think it's that....just giving up dairy?
Upping your fat should help with the hunger. Try taking a tablespoon of coconut oil with each meal. I did this in the beginning now it is no longer necessary.

I don't eat tons of protein maybe 8-12 oz per meal. Usually closer to 8 oz.

I feel great without dairy and I have no desire to go back. I am not an expert on Paleo but what you have described sounds like Paleo to me

I also take a lot of vitamins and supplements. I suggest you read The Diet Cure by Julia Ross. She outlines the amino acids and vitamins to help with dietary changes and mood issues. It is a fantastic book! Dr. Atkins even wrote that his program is like a three legged stool and that each leg is necessary. The legs are nutrition, exercise, and supplementation.

The paleo/primal sites that I have visited are also proponents of supplementation because even eating high quality foods we don't get everything we need because of soil depletion.

I also do the 50g of protein at breakfast as outlined in Dr. Jack Kruse's leptin reset. This has done wonders for me, no hunger, no snacking and I feel really good.

It sounds kinda complex but it all works really well together quite synergistically.

Good Luck!

B: Tuna in olive oil and 2 egg omelet with fresh salsa
L: ???
D: Steak & Guacamole

Last edited by Tonedbody; 10-08-2011 at 05:54 AM..
Old 10-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Tonedbody, for your response.

I do supplement with lots of vitamins and antioxidants and they do help a lot. Will look into the book you recommend.

A big difference I see in the way you are eating compared to me....you eat as much protein for breakfast as I do all day...almost. I eat under 60g daily, usually. Will modify this some and see what happens..

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #23
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Having a small amount of dairy makes it primal. Paleo is no dairy. I don't think either allow alcohol, but I'm not sure about that. I know when I was researching for the paleo challenge, it even said no dijon mustard because of the wine in it.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Hi Dottie,

Thanks for responding. Yes, I figured that on the wine. It was my way of improving my mood I think, as is the chocolate. Maybe my feelings are more psychological than anything. I loved the dairy(cheese and cream, butter) and it helped me give up grains without so much trouble. I've often used food and what I consider "treats" to get me through the day.

Still, I'm committed to giving this way of eating a good try so will up my protein, fat,
and even have some more veggies. More fresh air and exercise might help my mood a bit too.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #25
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Dairy was really hard for me too I did find using coconut milk and almond milk helped with that a lot. I missed cheese though lol. The first day after the challenge I ate a LOT of cheese, but since then have had maybe 1/2 an ounce.
Most paleo and primal sites say try to stay true to plan 80%, so don't beat yourself up if you're not "perfectly paleo"
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Hello, all the above posts are pretty interesting. I am adopting these 30 days strictly but I am having dijon mustard and wheat free tamari, I know Robb Wolf says it's ok to do that in the first 30 days and I know how much I like these condiments so I will continue to use.

So happy to say I'm down 4 pounds since starting this on Wednesday! I am absolutely thrilled but have just given my scales to my sister and will collect in 26 days when I'm finished. I want this to be about more than the weight but this 4 pound drop has definitely motivated me to continue!

Today I ate:

B: small avocado and hot water with lemon
L: garlic and chili prawns
D: big salad with 1 roasted chicken breast

Snacks: nakd bar (only ingredients are dates, almonds and pecans) - not something I plan on having often, was just a snack on the go, but similar to lara bars, so considered paleo. Glass of sugar free almond milk.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Day 6 and feeling pretty energetic. Had my first day of exercise since starting - took a long 80 minute walk in my local park which has lots of hills and mixed terrain so it's very enjoyable.

Today I ate:

Lunch: Thai Red Curry with Chicken, broccoli and cauliflower rice (home-made)
Dinner: Tuna and Salmon Sashimi

Snacks: Cantaloupe

Think/Hope that my appetite is a little suppressed now or that the curry was just really filling!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

I had a different experience yesterday. I had some cravings. I didn't eat anything because what I wanted (pistachios) wasn't in the house. Today I am making sure that I get my protein and take my vitamins, that usually keeps me on track really well.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I made it a week....yay! Maybe I can do this after all. I do feel lots better than I did a couple of days ago. However, I'm still having a bit of trouble with getting hungry between meals. Especially after dinner. Will have to experiment with that, because I do eat until I'm satisfied.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Hey Tonedbody, cravings are so frustrating!! Congrats on pushing through and sticking with the plan. I had a few shocking cravings on Saturday too but I really want to prove to myself that I can do this!

My energy is way up today. Had to drive for 5 hours total and also work for 5 hours in between that and I felt good the whole day. It's only now around 7:30pm and I'm starting to slow down. I am definitely in full blown ketosis as evidenced by the taste in my mouth, not great for others but it sure makes me happy!

Here's what I ate today:

L: 1 roasted chicken breast, cucumber and celery sticks and a small pot of fruit purée
D: left over thai red chicken curry with cauli rice and glass of sugar free almond milk
Peppermint Tea

Tomorrow will be a similar day to today so just gotta keep this going!

Good luck to everyone for the week.