Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Weight loss with Paleo? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/736573-weight-loss-paleo.html)

Psmileyf 09-21-2011 10:54 AM

Weight loss with Paleo?

I've been doing Atkins induction for about 7 weeks now.
My plan was to lose the weight and then switch to Paleo and use that to maintain. My boss eats Paleo and I think it would work for me.

My question is, have you lost weight using Paleo WOE?
It seems healthy to me, but I don't know that it would help me lose weight...
Any input would be appreciated!

QueenBacon 09-21-2011 03:27 PM

I have lost about 25 lbs since may eating paleo

Books and Cats 09-21-2011 03:51 PM

I eat Primal. It's like paleo with cheese and occasional red wine and coffee. These are 3 things I really didn't want to give up in order to eat Paleo. The diet allows fruit and sweet potatoes but I don't want to eat that high of a carb level yet. I plan to add these when I get to goal or close to goal.

I eat meat, veggies, cheese, eggs, and nuts with a glass of red wine most nights and a cup or two of coffee every day. I'm losing weight fine. I've noticed my net carbs are about 20-30 gms / day when I track

QueenBacon 09-21-2011 07:49 PM

Some people talk about no coffee on paleo, but the books and sites I read say its ok...

Dottie 09-22-2011 06:09 AM

Same, I'm doing the paleo challenge and even whole30 (strict!) allows coffee :)

artsyfartsy 09-23-2011 07:07 AM

I started on the 7th. I'm not in any challenge or anything. I'm just following the protocol with my modifications. I drink coffee and have wine 3/4 times a week. I don't eat much cheese or eat many nuts, but these have never been a huge part of my normal eating patterns.

I have and was doing Atkins, but I'm short and losing those last few pounds are so hard. I was always at a standstill with weight no matter how much I ate. So, I was sure it had to be that my calorie in take was too much for my weight and height.

The more and more I read about eating more fat the more I got intrigued and somehow I fell into this WOE. I increased my fat intake to about 60% and bang my weight started dropping. I couldn't believe it. I think this may have been my problem with Atkins. I was probably eating too much protein, but not enough fat. Now, I've switched the ratios and now it's all working. I believe for me the protein was causing an insulin surge therefore increasing my insulin response.

I've only dropped 5.5-6 lbs., but for me that's huge especially in the short amount of time. I drop a size usually with 0-3 pds. depending on how well my weight training routine is going.

I just like this way so much better. I feel that there is just more freedom than with Atkins, but I really don't know why.

But give a try.

artsyfartsy 09-29-2011 10:39 AM

Wow, I just wanted to come back and post that my weight dropped from 12.5pds to 111 in just short of full week. I really see and feel the change in my shape. My tummy looks so much smaller, my upper arms and my inner thighs.

I really do think it's in the increase of adding in more fats. I'm eating moderate amounts of protein and my carbs I haven't tracked lately, but I guesstimate around 50-60 grams.

Oh, and I drink coffee everyday...sometimes too much. I've never felt coffee was ever an hinderance for me when trying to drop some weight. If it is and perhaps I could have lost more, so what? This is something I enjoy and do not plan to remove it for a few pounds.

Portia 09-30-2011 05:02 AM

I started Primal (similar to Paleo) last week and lost 6 lbs my first week. And it felt effortless. However, bear in mind I have a lot to lose and probably any plan would work for me right now. This just happens to be the one I can stay on, and is therefore the one that works.

Caty 10-02-2011 04:52 AM

I find it easier - just protein, veges, some fruit, water. Developed allergy to eggs so I buy egg whites, allergy to dairy so that makes my decisions simple - no cheese, cream, cream cheese etc. My skin is so much smoother and I feel a whole lot better.

Eggs and tuna use to be my go-to food - not any more - cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, etc.