Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   What do you do when you can't bear another glass of plain water? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/734835-what-do-you-do-when-you-cant-bear-another-glass-plain-water.html)

SummerAnne 09-10-2011 12:41 PM

What do you do when you can't bear another glass of plain water?

Upfront: I haven't read any books yet. I have the Primal Blueprint & The Paleo Solution on hold at the library, I'm next in line for them. I will be reading them as soon as I get my hands on them.

Eating low carb I try to drink mostly water, but I get where I just need to change it up for a glass full and then go back to water. When that happens I usually drink a glass of Crystal Light (aka chemical AS sludge). I don't like coffee or tea. What would be an alternative?

I'm just trying to think ahead as I mentally prepare myself for making this switch. I love my cheese, but that's getting easier and easier to cut back on as the prices go up and the sales seem non-existent.

Dottie 09-10-2011 12:42 PM

You can add some lemon or lime to the water, or orange, whatever fruit you like the taste of?

Stevie Renee 09-10-2011 12:45 PM

SOmetimes a large piutcher of glass with pieces of mint (fresh) and let is sit all night, tastes refreshing.

Like Dottie said, add some citrus. You can add sliced strawberries with the lime and also cucumbers:)

Spa water.

FitMommyNow 09-10-2011 01:44 PM

I drink sparkling water like Perrier. It has the bubbles of soda without all the sugars/chemicals. Target also sells La Croix waters that are lightly/naturally flavored that are a little less expensive.

SummerAnne 09-10-2011 02:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dottie 09-10-2011 02:24 PM

Summer you can also use stevia on "primal" which may suit you as well:) I got used to the taste, it took a while though lol.

QueenBacon 09-11-2011 06:42 AM

I drink alot of black coffee..
I saw another idea that you could totally do (on dr oz)
make a huge pitcher of green tea, add mint leaves, and cut up a few nectarines (in rounds with the skin on so wash them first) and let them sit in there in the fridge. Dr oz swore it was good for weightloss, but it sounds totally tasty to me!

vli1127 09-11-2011 02:27 PM

Cucumbers.

fawn 09-12-2011 11:51 AM

I like lemon juice and apple cider vinegar

momtocj7mea 09-13-2011 07:03 AM

Try some of the flavored green teas, the Republic of Tea makes a pomegranate green tea that is very good when made as iced tea and sweetened with stevia:) It has saved me, lol.

Tonedbody 09-13-2011 10:59 AM

herbal tea with spices and fruit

Desdemona98 09-16-2011 05:56 PM

Greena and White tea are very different from dark/brown types, so you could try those if you have not yet. There is also coconut water but you really have to read labels to make sure your not getting anything extra. Though I will say that coconut water from an actual baby coconut is 10 times better than the stuff they sell prepackaged. You can also find ferminted coconut, some with kifer grains and some with kombucha. Though its not cheap. You could make your own though. Not sure how primal/paleo kombucha is since you need sugar to grow the mushroom.

metqa 09-16-2011 06:06 PM

Cucumber water is really really yummy refreshing and hard to resist once you start to drink it.

It's not nearly as astringent as tea or sparkling water and is really easy to drink.

Books and Cats 09-18-2011 09:39 AM

I see you're in Florida. If you have an EarthFare store in your area (southern healthy grocery chain), they have some awesome herb infused waters. They're a little pricey - about $1.50 each for a standard sized bottle, but I have one of these a couple times a week as a treat. The cinnamon-clove-cardamom is awesome!

-Muffin- 09-18-2011 11:10 AM

SodaStream

When I get tired of plain water, I use my SodaStream to add bubbles to whatever I'm drinking. It's great, because each batch is just one litre, so it's always fresh and sparkly!:jump joy:

I don't use the flavorings they sell (artificial colors & sweeteners, etc.), but just whole, natural ingredients (a couple of drops of unsweetened pomegranate or cranberry juice, citrus peels, etc.).

QueenBacon 09-18-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Muffin- (Post 15014090)
When I get tired of plain water, I use my SodaStream to add bubbles to whatever I'm drinking. It's great, because each batch is just one litre, so it's always fresh and sparkly!:jump joy:

I don't use the flavorings they sell (artificial colors & sweeteners, etc.), but just whole, natural ingredients (a couple of drops of unsweetened pomegranate or cranberry juice, citrus peels, etc.).

muffin thats a great idea, I always see those soda stream things..

Kathy 09-20-2011 01:02 PM

I drink water all day long. There's always a glass in front of me. When I can't stand the thought of another glass, I add a packet or two of True Lemon, True Lime or True Orange to it.

Dottie 09-20-2011 05:03 PM

Kathy those work really well in sauces, too. I've added the orange to a marinade for chicken and it gave it a lot of flavor :)