Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Any good brisket recipes? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/734530-any-good-brisket-recipes.html)

Dottie 09-08-2011 03:48 PM

Any good brisket recipes?

I have about half a beef brisket, uncooked, in the freezer I was thinking about cooking but I want it paleo friendly yet tasty.
Any ideas?
I was thinking maybe a lot of onions, maybe some home made chili sauce (dried peppers reconstituted then blended w/garlic, onions, tomato, cilantro and spices) or roasted green chilis but I'm stuck after that.
Normally I would use a low-carb bbq sauce on it, bake it that way then skim the fat off and reduce the bbq sauce and beef liquid that's left and serve that as a sauce.

QueenBacon 09-08-2011 05:01 PM

I don't think I have ever tried brisket (well cook it myself) but I found a few recepies for you!

Slow-cooker Paleo Beef Brisket

Beef brisket, about 2-3 lbs

1 medium onion, diced

3/4 cup tomato sauce

6 cloves of garlic, minced

2 tbsp olive oil works

2 tbsp chili powder (less if you don't want it too spicy)

2 tbsp dijon mustard (look for a good paleo one)

2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 cup crushed pineapple (with its juice)

1 tsp sea salt

Mix all ingredients together in large bowl (except for brisket and onion). Score the flat side of the brisket with a sharp knife. Place brisket in slow cooker, cover with half of the sauce. Turn the brisket over and cover with the remaining sauce. Place onions over the top. Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until it falls apart. Enjoy!

QueenBacon 09-08-2011 05:03 PM

this one sounds good too, its irish inspired..

2 lbs boned, rolled brisket
1 lb onions
1/2 lb carrots
1/2 pt vegetable/beef stock
fresh thyme
1/2 tsp mustard powder
almond meal
2 Tbs olive oil
pepper

Place some fresh thyme sprigs on the brisket. Roll brisket into a tube, and tie with string.

Chop up the fresh thyme and combine with mustard powder and 1/2 cup of almond meal. Rub a bit of olive oil on the brisket, and coat the outside with your almond meal mixture.

Pan sear all sides of the brisket tube, taking care not to burn the almond meal (it burns faster than a normal flour coating).

Remove the brisket, and brown the onions and carrots for a 3~5 minutes in the oil and drippings.

Place brisket back in pan, and cover with the pint of stock.

Cover pan and place in oven (225 F). DO NOT even think of LOOKING at the meat for at least 2 hours. Brisket needs time and low heat to cook. Check liquid levels and add water, as needed, after 2 hours. Cook another hour or two, until you get bored of watching the pan.

I served this over the spaghetti squash I made last night….it was like a Paleo Stroganoff, minus the cream dressing.

Dottie 09-08-2011 05:07 PM

Thanks! The first one sounds kind of like a bbq sauce type, that would go over well with the guys :)

QueenBacon 09-08-2011 05:07 PM

heres one for corned beef brisket

Ingredients
•2 quarts water
•1 cup kosher salt
•1 cinnamon stick, broken into several pieces
•1 teaspoon black peppercorns
•8 whole cloves
•12 whole juniper berries
•2 bay leaves, crumbled
•1 teaspoon ground allspice
•1 teaspoon ground mustard
•1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
•2 pounds ice
•1 2-3lb brisket
•2 large onions, sliced

Method

Bring all ingredients to a boil, stirring to dissolve salt.

Add ice, cool to 45 degrees. Place brisket in brine and refrigerate for 7-10 days.

Chop onion, lay in crockpot or deep roasting pan, and lay brisket on top. Cover with water. Cook on low for 6-8 hours in a slow-cooker or roast in a 225-degree oven for 2-2.5 hours (covered with foil).

Once cooled, slice against the grain or shred with a fork.

tea cup 09-09-2011 09:20 AM

I like to slow cook brisket with pepperoncini peppers, green pepper, and a little onion. It tastes like italian beef. I eat it with a slice of cheddar out of a bowl with a spoon while DH eats it on a crusty roll. It's very good.