Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Sardine disappointment! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/734287-sardine-disappointment.html)

Dottie 09-07-2011 08:17 AM

Sardine disappointment!

I bought several tins of sardines for my paleo snacking. A few in tomato sauce and some in just water. I love sardines:)
Reading the label ingredients: sardines, tomato sauce, salt; and sardines; water, salt.
So I read further down and under allergens is lists: fish; soy
SOY? Where? It's not anywhere in the ingredients! :mad:

Doug_H 09-07-2011 08:34 AM

I just checked mine and found no reference to soy.:dunno: My favorite is "King Oscar Brisling Sardines in Olive oil"

lisabinil 09-07-2011 08:39 AM

They probably process them on the same machines that those packaged in soybean oil or cooked in it is processed. So the amount is prolly neglible but they have to list it as an allergen.

Dottie 09-07-2011 08:50 AM

:doh:
Probably right lol. I was just surprised to see soy on there at all.

Desdemona98 09-08-2011 09:34 AM

Lisabinil is right, there are some people with food allergies so bad that they can break out from food "processed on the same machine," even if there is no actual ingredient of the food they are allergic too. There was a child in my son's previous daycare who was so allergic to peanuts they practically had to quarantine the place. We were not allowed to bring in any outside food, period (with exception of those who had kids with allergies of course). When my son left we had toy goodie bags because I couldn't bring snacks even if they were peanut free, etc.

QueenBacon 09-08-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desdemona98 (Post 14985765)
Lisabinil is right, there are some people with food allergies so bad that they can break out from food "processed on the same machine," even if there is no actual ingredient of the food they are allergic too. There was a child in my son's previous daycare who was so allergic to peanuts they practically had to quarantine the place. We were not allowed to bring in any outside food, period (with exception of those who had kids with allergies of course). When my son left we had toy goodie bags because I couldn't bring snacks even if they were peanut free, etc.

This is true.. one of the women I work with, her niece is so alergic to peanuts that once her uncle forgot and ate peanuts a few hours before and kissed her face, her entire cheek puffed up like a chipmunk.

QueenBacon 09-08-2011 06:12 PM

Dottie, I love sardines too, I'm going to have to buy some this weekend.
I have a can of anchovies in my fridge that I think I will use in my own paleo home made dressing this weekend!

porcupine73 09-08-2011 07:11 PM

Right it may be processed in a facility where soy is used for other things. The other possibility I can think of, is, and I don't know if they farm raise sardines, but farmed fish are often fed soy among other things, so maybe that's why it is listed.

I couldn't ever seem to find mustard or other flavor sardines in the store that didn't contain MSG (usually listed as one of the code words for MSG).

nanberrycritter 11-19-2011 04:37 AM

There could be soybean oil in the tomato sauce, but why it would still say soy on the other can I don't know.

Auntie Em 12-22-2011 11:57 AM

I buy water-packed sardines, herring, and mackerel. Even when they are packed in olive oil, the oil isn't as nice as I would like.

E.W. 12-23-2011 03:40 AM

A friend of mine is so alergic to shell fish that his girl friend can't eat it or he has a reaction to her kissing him. Hay she could use that to an advantage "not tonight
honey I had shrimp for lunch"

dasiey 12-24-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.W. (Post 15268653)
A friend of mine is so alergic to shell fish that his girl friend can't eat it or he has a reaction to her kissing him. Hay she could use that to an advantage "not tonight
honey I had shrimp for lunch"

:hyst::lol::hyst:

Feelin'Great! 04-04-2012 11:17 PM

check out wildplanetfoods. Just found this brand yesterday in Ralphs. They have an informative website...I'm so happy I found them. I haven't tried the sardines, but the skipjack tuna is really good. Low in mercury, wild and sustainably caught, bpa free cans. I'm going to try all their products very soon. just thought I'd pass along their name....

Feelin'Great! 04-05-2012 01:10 AM

Hmmmm.... just noticed this is an old thread... :dunno: oh well...

KyliesMom 04-12-2012 06:57 AM

Yeah that happens to me a lot I wish this section of the board was a little more hoppin :confused: