Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lbibclc
Stats: 231.8/132 54/5-6
WOE: Primal/HHCG
Start Date: August 2009
Perfect Health Diet

This book/diet was recommended to me. Has anyone read it and have opinions? I've browsed the website and it sounds good. There is so much information out there it gets confusing.
Lbibclc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Hmm... l found this, looks way too low protein for my tastes: (also funny he says avoid grains but includes rice as "ok"? Is rice not considered a grain?)

Quote:
Keys to the diet include:

Keep daily carbohydrate intake around 400 calories, primarily from starches (e.g., rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, taro), fruits, and berries. Eat a variety of vegetables as well, but don’t count them as calorie sources. Protein should be a modest fraction of daily calories — 200 is enough, but eat to taste. Fats should supply most (~65-70%) daily calories.
Do not eat toxic foods. Notably:
Do not eat cereal grains — wheat, barley, oats, corn — or foods made from them — bread, pasta, breakfast cereals, oatmeal. Do not eat legumes. The exception is white rice, which we count among our “safe starches.” Rice noodles, rice crackers, and the like are fine.
Do not eat foods with added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. Do not drink anything that contains sugar: healthy drinks are water, tea, and coffee.
Polyunsaturated fats should be a small fraction of the diet (~4% of total calories). To achieve this, do not eat seed oils such as soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, or the like. The best cooking oils are coconut oil, clarified butter, and beef tallow; palm oil, lard, olive oil, and avocado oil are next best. Nut butters are another possible source of fats.
Take care to obtain adequate amounts of eight critical micronutrients: vitamin D, vitamin K2, iodine, selenium, magnesium, copper, chromium, and vitamin C. Many of these can be obtained from sunlight (vitamin D) or what we call “supplemental foods”: seaweed for iodine, Brazil nuts for selenium, beef liver for copper. Others may need to be supplemented. Some nutrients should not be supplemented: for instance, we recommend that you do NOT take fish oil capsules for omega-3 fats, but DO eat oily fish like salmon or sardines.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
White rice?
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Catmandu
Have never heard of this diet, but thought I'd chime in on white rice. A lot of 'ancestral' diets (paleo/primal) recommend white rice over brown rice. Here's an excerpt from mark's daily apple (author of primal blueprint book) on the subject. The premise is the brown rice DOES contain important nutrients, but that the outside of the grain of rice contains 'anti-nutrients' (phytates, trypsin inhibitors, etc) that bind to the nutrients and prevent us from fully absorbing them.

In the link he also discusses the 'asian paradox.' The gist is, Asians eat high carb diets heavy on rice, but aren't fat. He basically says for lots of healthy people, high-carb is not a problem. But if you have any metabolic issues, best to cut down on the carbs.

Is Rice Unhealthy? Mark's Daily Apple
As a seed, rice does employ a number of anti-consumption deterrents, most of which are located in the hull and bran.
Phytate, or phytin in rice, binds to minerals, rendering them largely useless to any animal that consumes it. Heat does little to phytate, but, since it’s located in the bran, physically removing the bran removes the phytate. That’s why brown rice eaters tend to have poorer mineral balances than white rice eaters.

Trypsin is a digestive enzyme produced by mammals to cleave protein peptides in twain and reduce them to their constituent parts – amino acids – for easy absorption. Without trypsin (or with it inhibited), we’d be hard pressed to digest all the protein we eat. Luckily for rice eaters, trypsin inhibitor is located primarily in the outer embryo of the rice seed, with a bit in the bran, and none in the polished, milled seed.
The common thread is that white, milled, polished rice is basically pure starch. All the chemical negatives are found in the hull, husk, and bran, and those are easily removed or negated. It is essentially a blank slate, nothing all that bad about it, but nothing all that great, either.

Brown rice is the “healthier” choice because it still has the bran, with all its nutrients. But most of it is bound up with phytic acid and mostly useless to humans.

Rice can be a vehicle for the good stuff – for butter, ghee, coconut. It can also be a vehicle for the bad stuff – for vegetable oils, for sugar. In fact, it’s the essential neutrality of rice that makes it what it is. The problem with rice in most people’s diets is twofold: it serves as a vehicle for processed fat and sugar; and overweight, insulin-resistant folks with damaged metabolisms can’t handle the glucose load.
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Desdemona98
Stats: 154/154/125
WOE: Primal
Start Date: still trying to start...
I actually think they are one of the best, they suggest higher carbs then say,, beginner atkins (though I think maybe Atkins levels out to their daily recommendation) is because one of the authors was having health problems due to being too low carb (you can find other blogs with people who had bad side effects from too low carb over an extended period of time). They seem to spend a lot of time on the subject and will have days where they mass link a lot of articles and blog posts on the subject, even ones they are not 100% in agreement with, but as a FYI because they don't claim to be demi-gods on the subject. They seem more down to earth than some. Mark Sisson is another that seem's to be more logical about things as well as The Healthy Skeptic. Those three are my favorites and I feel less like I'm going to get caught up in pseudo science with them.
Desdemona98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lbibclc
Stats: 231.8/132 54/5-6
WOE: Primal/HHCG
Start Date: August 2009
That was definitely one thing I noticed is that they seem to invite debate. They don't pretend to know everything.

I could do there plan with ease. Just the addition of sweet potatoes and rice makes it so much easier to stick to. For me its almost too good to be true that I could eat those things, so it almost makes me leery.
Lbibclc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Their acceptance of rice is what gained my interest vs turning me away. Like Catmandu mentioned, the Chinese and other Asian cultures eat a LOT of white rice. Some practically live off of it because it is cheap and they are poor. There have also been cultures who lived off of potatoes and done well and even one old man who lived off of cheese.

But, I'm getting off topic... to me it just seems ludicrous that white rice is horrible. If it was then the Chinese wouldn't have a life span that outdoes ours (and they have been like this for many generations) nor would they look so young. Genes probably plays into it too, but rice can't be that bad or it would show.

I am not saying we should eat the stuff like it's the cure to all that ailes us, but I will eat it and not feel like I'm hurting myself. There are some who do get blood sugar spikes from white rice, so it does benifit if you buy a blood sugar monitoring kit to see how you react to it, which The Perfect Diet Drs. recommend.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/161/130
WOE: lchf/paleo/primal/keto
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I think rice may be ok if you are not looking to lose weight, and only eat it on occasion (like once a month, not once a week) but just like any plan it really is a ymmv type thing.
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Ok, now I must ask... ymmv?

The first time I went "low carb," I just lowered my carbs.. I ate more carbs than I do now and I dropped weight pretty cleanly. There are a ton of factors in weight loss. I was also not Primal/Paleo. I just followed traditional eating types.. so sprouted grains to include rice. I don't eat rice that often, but when I do it's guilt free. Recently rice has made me feel full fast (generally I eat it with sushi, but that is it) so I have been eating less because I'd rather fill up on fish.

Of course you have to eat what makes you feel comfortable. I think our opinion of food effects (to some extent) on how we respond to it biologically. Sort of like the placebo effect, but not exactly. So if you think something is bad it might make you feel bad even if it really isn't (not talking about rice specifically). Also, if you think something is really good, like it's a superfood it might make you feel better than it biologically should. Though of course there are limits.. if its something bad enough for you, then you probably can't think it good.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Ymmv: your mileage may vary
Old 09-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Your mileage may vary
Old 09-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: momtocj7mea
Stats: 282/179/162
WOE: Paleo/Primal..whole foods FTW!
Start Date: 11/30/11
The problem I have seen with low carb diets like Paleo/Primal is that people who do not have metabolic resistance, weight problems or autoimmune issues are ditching carbs to keep from getting fat. Almost like it's cool to be Paleo/Primal. The better thing to do would be to ditch processed carbs and follow a whole foods diet. Obviously, if you have weight to lose I wouldn't eat the sweet potatoes or the rice, but for my hubby and kids who do not have weight problems or metabolic issues, I include sweet potatoes and white rice in their diets. As long as you are following a whole foods, unprocessed foods diet the addition of a little white rice/sweet potatoes is not going to hurt. Also rice is gluten free, which is why even though it is a grain, it is ok for most people. I plan to incorporate sweet potatoes back in to my diet once I have reached my goal weight. Rice? Probably not as I have no self control with rice, a serving for me is a whole plate full, lol!! Have any of you read Wheat Belly?? Very good book about the problems with gluten even if you do not have celiac disease.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtocj7mea View Post
The problem I have seen with low carb diets like Paleo/Primal is that people who do not have metabolic resistance, weight problems or autoimmune issues are ditching carbs to keep from getting fat. Almost like it's cool to be Paleo/Primal. The better thing to do would be to ditch processed carbs and follow a whole foods diet. Obviously, if you have weight to lose I wouldn't eat the sweet potatoes or the rice, but for my hubby and kids who do not have weight problems or metabolic issues, I include sweet potatoes and white rice in their diets. As long as you are following a whole foods, unprocessed foods diet the addition of a little white rice/sweet potatoes is not going to hurt. Also rice is gluten free, which is why even though it is a grain, it is ok for most people. I plan to incorporate sweet potatoes back in to my diet once I have reached my goal weight. Rice? Probably not as I have no self control with rice, a serving for me is a whole plate full, lol!! Have any of you read Wheat Belly?? Very good book about the problems with gluten even if you do not have celiac disease.

Huge fan of Dr Davis, just ordered his book Wheat Belly. Looking forward to the read
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote