Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Desdemona98
Stats: 154/154/125
WOE: Primal
Start Date: still trying to start...
Milk Substitues better or no?

Since milk is the big debate (in some areas anyways) I was wondering what everyone's take on milk substitues are. I mainly ask because I LOVE.. with a passion almost (haha).. Latte's. I have my own espresso machine and have started my day out with one for years. I don't want to give them up and have gone back and forth on just using raw whole milk (which I did for a couple of years) or using coconut milk. I do like the vanilla/no sugar coconut milk made by So Delicious. It has a very low carb rating.

The whole costs-less and lives longer thing is also a perk. Raw milk can have a short shelf life sometimes. I use to beable to buy it at a farmers market straight from the supplier but now I have to go to the store.

So, do you think drinking a fake milk product (I will probably just stick with coconut, not a fan of almond) is kind of missing the point? The milk is at least straight from the cow and unaltered (raw/grassfed) for the most part.
Desdemona98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
My personal take is: the So Delicious is only barely called coconut milk because it has so many additives!

IMO you're better off getting a real coconut milk and just diluting it for the same uses you'd use that "stuff" for lol
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
My suggestion would be to make nut milk. You can make it from any raw nuts. I have made it from roasted nuts too, but the flavor is a heck of lot stronger.

You can add in vanilla or sweetner if you want after its made.
I don't add anything to mine. I like it plain.

For cashew milk, I took half a cup of cashews and put in a pint jar and covered them with water and put the lid on. Then waited overnight (I think you could do this in as little as 4 hours, but most recipes say 12 hours).
Then I rinsed them off and put them in the Vitamix (you could use a food processor) with 2 cups of water and blended them all up.
They blend easily cause they get soft. Then I had almost a quart of milk/cream substitute.

I made instant pudding with it and it worked just fine. Different nuts have different flavors when they are turned into nut milks.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lauraleeor
Stats: 210/140/135
WOE: paleo
Start Date: November 2009-medifast August 2011-paleo
I use organic coconut milk in a can--it is the good fats and no additives like the carton. I don't shake it and keep it in the fridge for my coffee or to scoop over berries. so good. I use the water at the bottom to make a veggie smoothie-coconut water, mash sweet potato, spinach, ice.

Laura Lee
lauraleeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I haven't done a lot of "homemade" stuff yet, because I lack time. When I first went "all natural," I did a lot more and I felt like I was going to lose my sanity so I cut back. I attend school, work full time, and have a toddler as a single mom... so my time is pretty sparse. I do make a few things though (like bone broth).

I will have to look at the carton again, I bought it because it seemed like it's additives were low, but maybe I was being too lienant. I have cans of coconut milk that I bought a long time ago, but it was so thick I couldn't really stomach it. I don't know why I didn't think to just add water to it. I will try that as soon as I run out of my current (small) stash of carton coconut milk.

I use espresso and not coffee, so we are talking about a large additive not small like creamer in a coffee. It use to be my breakfast when I used full fat milk, but since I'm trying to cut the cow carbs and the expense of raw milk. If I ever get smart I'll turn it into breakfast smoothies, but to be honest I don't want the added mess or choir in the morning before work.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

well, I tried coffee and "real" coconut milk today.. I had a problem with it mixing (I drink cold lattes), so I nuked it slightly and it was ok.. but I didn't like it warm so I killed the natural and flavored it with a touch of coffee creme liquor (my one cheat for the day). It was ok, but was really good once cold. So, I think tomorrow I will do the same, minus the liquor of course, and see if it tastes good once it's cold.

Thanks for the tip.