Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Sept 1st strict 30 day paleo challenge (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/731149-sept-1st-strict-30-day-paleo-challenge.html)

QueenBacon 08-10-2011 06:34 PM

Sept 1st strict 30 day paleo challenge

I'm going to be doing the 30 days again.. Strict no cheats no pre packaged stuff either... No dairy, nothing not on the list.... Anyone down to join me?

Chasintrail 08-11-2011 06:21 AM

Was just thinking about doing this this morning.

Sept is a good time. Farmer's markets still open, good weather to be outside. Sure, count me in. 100% Primal in my case. So: no packaged food, no/low veg oils, time outside, move slow and lift heavy!

QueenBacon 08-11-2011 04:09 PM

I cant wait!

jeaniem 08-11-2011 06:25 PM

Just got the Paleo solution book by Robb Wolf from the library today. I will read and let you know if I a am up for it.

QueenBacon 08-11-2011 06:56 PM

Enjoy! I love that book

QueenBacon 08-11-2011 07:46 PM

Woohoo hubby says he wants to start monday lol

Chasintrail 08-12-2011 05:58 AM

Paleo Solution is a great book, one of my favorites.

Kerry - glad your hubby is in.

jeaniem 08-12-2011 09:03 AM

I see Wolf allows for a little kerrygold butter. How about a little organic half/half, the brand I buy says pastured raised on the label. I think I can give up splenda more easily in my coffee if I can add a little half/half.
Are you all still waiting until Sept.1?

QueenBacon 08-12-2011 03:22 PM

When I'm strict I don't use butter or cream.. Its only 30 days of my life so I figure I have the rest of n my life to enjoy them.. I like being really strict, gets me in gear and losing great

LowCarbWannabe 08-13-2011 12:03 PM

I'm on a strict candida diet that aligns pretty close to paleo. I can eat butter and butter oil(supplement), but that's it for dairy. I also can't have any nuts or fruit(except small amounts of limes or lemons). I get a lot of my recipes from paleo cookbooks and websites. As long as butter is allowed, I'm in.

Dottie 08-13-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 14906579)
Just got the Paleo solution book by Robb Wolf from the library today. I will read and let you know if I a am up for it.

I downloaded it to my Kindle and haven't read it yet.
Other than my 1-2T half and half in my morning coffee and very occasional cheese, I'm pretty strict into the no-dairy thing already.

sadie_adriana 08-13-2011 09:46 PM

I'm thinking about joining you all, I will only do it if I can totally commit. I want to lose ten pounds.
I am very strict to paleo, I do eat a small amt of kerrygold and that is the only dairy I have. I do eat a few servings of fruit per day now.
I havent checked, what foods are on the list?

Dottie 08-14-2011 07:15 AM

Sadie I found this pdf file very informative on what you can have, though I disagree that you should avoid chicken thighs, bacon, olives and some of the other foods they list as a "no".
http://desertcrossfit.typepad.com/Paleo_Food_List.pdf

QueenBacon 08-14-2011 08:46 AM

I think the whole30 web site by far has the best list

sadie_adriana 08-14-2011 09:47 PM

Thank you both, I will check them out. :)

lauraleeor 08-15-2011 05:40 AM

I am in the middle of a whole30 myself! I love it. I am not 100% organic/grassfed but I do the best I can.

Laura LEe

QueenBacon 08-15-2011 06:37 AM

I didn't start today but will soon

Chrystee 08-15-2011 01:20 PM

I will join you. I'm trying to stay on plan now though for my sister in law's wedding on 9/3

Potaty 08-15-2011 01:22 PM

I am thinking of joining you all! I am pregnant with #3 (due in Jan) and my eating and weight are out.of.control. I had just lost 60 when I got pg and now I am already up 25. UGH.

Chasintrail 08-16-2011 05:25 AM

I'd go with the Whole 30 food list if you're looking to do strict Paleo.

I'll not be starting the challenge until Aug 29. I have a friend coming into town that will totally blow the no alchol part :rofl:

My intention is to go 100% primal (paleo but allows dairy if you're not intolerant) until the end of Sept. I'm really looking forward to it. I try to stay pretty close to 80% anyway, but have been very bad this summer :p

lauraleeor 08-16-2011 10:07 AM

potaty-I wish I had this diet when I was pg with mine. I would have come through it so much healthier. I think I would have had some milk production too--I was on the fast food diet at the time-as much fast food as I could get-not good for babies and not good for me! good luck!

Laura Lee

MsMo30 08-17-2011 01:38 PM

I would like to join the challenge!! :)

skinnygenes 08-17-2011 09:16 PM

I have been really looking at this diet and it seems doable. I am in for the thirty day challenge. Ill be eating organic fruits and veggies & halal/ kosher meats. Grass fed whenever possible. I have been doing callanetics for thirty days and some cardio and I am really hoping to see even better results in the next 30 days (particularly in the ab area). So hopefully this will help.
But I sure will miss my beloved black olives :rolleyes:

Dottie 08-18-2011 06:14 AM

Olives are allowed, according to whole30:
Quote:

Processed goods. We’re okay with cans or jars of olives, coconut milk, sauces and spice mixtures like tomato sauce or curry, or vegetables like sweet potato or butternut squash, but only if the labels prove they’re “clean”.

Dottie 08-18-2011 06:21 AM

I may make a big batch of chili (thanks Kerry now I'm craving it lol) and just eat that for 30 days!

Dottie 08-18-2011 07:07 AM

A bit confused reading the different official versions:

Pumpkin? (canned, nothing but pumpkin or fresh and roast your own seeds!) - lower in carbs and higher in fiber than many winter squashes, also makes a decent thickener if needed for soups, stews and things like that.

Bacon? I'm reading as long as it's not loaded with nitrates, it's ok?
Same with sausages?

I saw the v.4 list now allows all vinegars except malt vinegar(gluten), which is nice!

A big confusion about the addition of fruit juices as sweeteners. Personally I'd rather use stevia because I know I don't have a blood sugar reaction to it. I can't figure out why stevia isn't allowed since you can get it organic and all natural.

Oh and nutritional yeast? (bragg's specifically). Has a cheesy taste and adds nutrients.

Desdemona98 08-18-2011 11:03 AM

So is everyone following one food list or doing their own acceptable version of good food? I should jump on this too and actually behave. I want to lose weight before October for both Halloween (I love to dress up!) and a Anime convention I am going to in which I also plan to dress up. I'd be more "in character," if I didn't look like I was still pregnant, haha

Dottie 08-18-2011 11:36 AM

I'm going to do my absolute best to follow the whole30 foods list. If I just can't drink my coffee without half and half, then I'll go to tea in the mornings. A strong Irish or English breakfast tea wakes me up lol.

Dottie 08-18-2011 01:16 PM

Google "robb wolf quick start" and it's a quick pfd read for the basics as well:)

QueenBacon 08-18-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 14924537)
A bit confused reading the different official versions:

Pumpkin? (canned, nothing but pumpkin or fresh and roast your own seeds!) - lower in carbs and higher in fiber than many winter squashes, also makes a decent thickener if needed for soups, stews and things like that.

Bacon? I'm reading as long as it's not loaded with nitrates, it's ok?
Same with sausages?

I saw the v.4 list now allows all vinegars except malt vinegar(gluten), which is nice!

A big confusion about the addition of fruit juices as sweeteners. Personally I'd rather use stevia because I know I don't have a blood sugar reaction to it. I can't figure out why stevia isn't allowed since you can get it organic and all natural.

Oh and nutritional yeast? (bragg's specifically). Has a cheesy taste and adds nutrients.

most canned pumpkin doesn't have anything added (besides the pumpkin pie mix)

I get natural bacon that has no nitrates, its not a staple in my diet though. Its pretty expensive so we get it about once a month?

We love braggs apple cider vinegar and balsamic for our salads along with grape seed oil or olive oil.

I pretty much totally give up sweetners during my 30 days. not even fruit juice sweetner. I dont get the thing with stevia either, maybe because for some it could be a trigger?
I'm so happy there are so many of us that are going to start on the 1st of sept, is it strange to say that im actually excited?