Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: itsme12i
I get the Coconut Secret aminos from Netrition.
itsme12i is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #92
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb

Sorry, I was thinking bragg's aminos, which has gluten!
yes the coconut aminos are very good
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #93
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
Hi everyone,

I am just beginning to learn about Paleo/primal etc, and would like to lurk and ask questions occasionally if that's ok with everyone. My nephew has been doing it about a year+ and he looks absolutely fabulous and so healthy and has cheek bones now! I tease him he's chiseled and looks like the David statue by Michaelangelo! He says he feels great, better than ever... he's a pro-snowboarder here in CO, and highly recommended Paleo to me.

So if it's okay--I will watch you guys, start reading the books in the coming weeks, cheer you on, and hope to join an October Challenge like Stevie Renee with you all if that's okay? I think dairy, especially hwc, is what's been holding me back. I'm addicted to it, and copious amounts of butter as well.

Good luck all, only a few more days before your challenge begins!
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #94
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Dottie I'm going to have to try to find that.. I would love to try to make my own kimchee YUM!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #95
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

oh and I wanted to add, that it seems alot of people are missing the point of a "Challenge"
its not supposed to be easy to give up splenda or stevia or cream in your coffee.. but thats why I call this a challenge, its only 30 days and you can go right back to where you started if you hate this wol. its only 30 days and I promise if you ACTUALLY give it your all for 30 days you will be a changed person. You will feel amazing, you will like this and wonder how you actually ever ate some of the items you cross off your list.

I had cream in my coffee today for the first time in over 4 months. IT WAS DISGUESTING! I couldn't even drink it..
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
Old 08-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #96
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihoopi View Post
Hi everyone,

I am just beginning to learn about Paleo/primal etc, and would like to lurk and ask questions occasionally if that's ok with everyone. My nephew has been doing it about a year+ and he looks absolutely fabulous and so healthy and has cheek bones now! I tease him he's chiseled and looks like the David statue by Michaelangelo! He says he feels great, better than ever... he's a pro-snowboarder here in CO, and highly recommended Paleo to me.

So if it's okay--I will watch you guys, start reading the books in the coming weeks, cheer you on, and hope to join an October Challenge like Stevie Renee with you all if that's okay? I think dairy, especially hwc, is what's been holding me back. I'm addicted to it, and copious amounts of butter as well.

Good luck all, only a few more days before your challenge begins!
please feel free to read our FAQ section and ask all the questions you like over there!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #97

Thanks kerry.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #98
Administrator

Know what Kerry? You're right! Ok I'll give up my stevia lol
Old 08-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Animord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
I had cream in my coffee today for the first time in over 4 months. IT WAS DISGUESTING! I couldn't even drink it..
lol I was making coffee for other people at the weekend, and by mistake put some milk in my own - it was revolting - I was so shocked because going over to black was no problem for me - I had always drunk coffee both black and with milk depending on my mood, so I really didn't expect it to be horrible - but it definitely was.
Animord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rae33
Stats: 237/189.6/168
WOE: low carb/SCD/primal
Start Date: January 2011
Wow! It's so exciting to see everyone here and ready to go! I have still been on my 'test drive' with only a few slip ups and here is what I have decided:

Absolutely no: Dairy, grains, legumes, artificial sweeteners or nuts/seeds for 30 days. strict 100%. I had some pecans a few days ago and not only did it make me want to keep munching them, it stalled my weight loss so I've decided to skip those til I am closer to goal weight. I still lost 7 pounds on my test drive, though!

I am looking forward to this challenge and the support from everyone! I completely understand Kerry's post about being strict for 30 days because I just want to see where all this takes me and then make informed decisions from there. And I look forward to the day when HWC in my coffee tastes gross but I'm not there yet!
rae33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Apparently I can't count- I lost 5 pounds not 7... Still got me to onederland, though!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
I have been reading up on paleo and I am very close to paleo.

I am lactose intolerant so I really could try giving up dairy.

I mostly consume butter, parmesan cheese, and some cheddar. I don't consume more than about 3 oz per day.

I am going to think about this, I may join you guys in the future. I have just recently cut out all sweets whether natural or artificial and I don't want to take too big of a step and end up rebounding.
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #103
Administrator

Rae: why no nuts? They're allowed and a good source of fat, fiber and nutrients (I usually have 2-3 brazil nuts a day for the selenium lol).

Quote:
Nuts and seeds: Pistachios, Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds
(pepitas), pecans, walnuts, pine nuts, macadamia nuts, chestnuts, cashews, almonds.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animord View Post
lol I was making coffee for other people at the weekend, and by mistake put some milk in my own - it was revolting - I was so shocked because going over to black was no problem for me - I had always drunk coffee both black and with milk depending on my mood, so I really didn't expect it to be horrible - but it definitely was.
Soo good to hear, I would love to have that happen to me some day as I am so addicted to the hwc right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedbody View Post
I have been reading up on paleo and I am very close to paleo.I am lactose intolerant so I really could try giving up dairy.
I mostly consume butter, parmesan cheese, and some cheddar. I don't consume more than about 3 oz per day. I am going to think about this, I may join you guys in the future. I have just recently cut out all sweets whether natural or artificial and I don't want to take too big of a step and end up rebounding.
Great, that makes about 3 of us now that could do a challenge together in the future. What do you think about starting Oct 1st?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnejava
Went Paleo shopping tonight

I'm ready to start the challenge on Thursday!
lynnejava is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Dottie,
I am going to skip nuts & seeds for 30 days for a couple of reasons. I know they are 'allowed' on paleo and I also know they are a fantastic source of nutrients. I love them, but I have always tended to overeat them (you could even say binge). I found myself doing just that a few days ago. I made delicious pecan crusted chicken from the Everyday Paleo book but after dinner found myself munching on pecans ALL NIGHT LONG- I couldn't stop! Nothing else in the low carb WOE does that to me and it reminds me of past carb binges... something I need to work on for sure!

Also, I just really want to strip my diet down to the bare bones basics and do this as simply and as clean as possible for the 30 days. Meat, eggs, lots of veggies and healthy fats and small amounts of fruit if any.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sadie_adriana
Stats: start 199/current 135
WOE: Paleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rae33 View Post
Dottie,
I am going to skip nuts & seeds for 30 days for a couple of reasons. I know they are 'allowed' on paleo and I also know they are a fantastic source of nutrients. I love them, but I have always tended to overeat them (you could even say binge). I found myself doing just that a few days ago. I made delicious pecan crusted chicken from the Everyday Paleo book but after dinner found myself munching on pecans ALL NIGHT LONG- I couldn't stop! Nothing else in the low carb WOE does that to me and it reminds me of past carb binges... something I need to work on for sure!

Also, I just really want to strip my diet down to the bare bones basics and do this as simply and as clean as possible for the 30 days. Meat, eggs, lots of veggies and healthy fats and small amounts of fruit if any.
GOOD JOB!! knowing your weaknesses and challenging them for 30 days!!
sadie_adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #108
Junior LCF Member

Hi, to those of you who are lurking or not sure about the challenge why not join the challengers for the first seven days instead (or the second if you prefer). Then you could see how you felt about it without the scary thought of 30 whole days ahead of you?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:10 AM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
oh and I wanted to add, that it seems alot of people are missing the point of a "Challenge"
its not supposed to be easy to give up splenda or stevia or cream in your coffee..

some plans allow for those items.

it's my understanding though, that even coffee isn't Paleo in that the coffee bean requires a lot of processing to be edible...also people become dependent on it to function.

BUT...some plans allow for it, so I'm certainly not going to say that someone is not following the challenge if they drink coffee...even though I gave it up.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 AM   #110
Junior LCF Member

oh..to be clear...I AM going really strict. I gave up coffee (day one). I am strictly on veggies, lean meats...mostly fish, water, tea and small amounts of nuts and fruit.

my main concern is that greek yogurt helps with tummy issues. I will just wait and see how that goes.

I am just allowing a small amount of stevia for my tea.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:53 AM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Hi again

I am having coffee - the way I see it I am fairly addicted to my caffeine and I know I am going to go through some pretty severe withdrawals from it. My intention is to mix some of my current coffee with a decaf brand so that I am slowly cutting down over the next few weeks. That is good enough for me at this point.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:00 AM   #112
Junior LCF Member

what I have planned is that if I get a withdrawal headache ( and I generally DO), I will have a small cup...just enough to get by with a Tylenol if I need it. that has worked for me in the past. the 1st cup is usually after a day and a half...the next one is maybe after 2 days...etc, etc.

hopefully it won't be a big deal since I have only been having one (large) cup per day.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:28 AM   #113
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Wow I have never come across a paleo or primal author who says no to coffee...
Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 AM   #114
Junior LCF Member

Some people reckon that Whole30 says no coffee - I don't think it does though. I definitely need to cut down - I drink way too much. But as I say, there is no way I am going without it at the moment!

My coffee and my fizzy water are non-negotiable!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:31 AM   #115
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Whole 30 doesn't say no coffee... I dunno. My idea when starting this thread was to follow whole 30 or robb wolf...
Old 08-31-2011, 04:48 AM   #116
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
ok I'm going to join in. I'm doing a candida cleanse for 10 days and then I'm going to stay as close to paleo as I can for the remaining 20! My candida cleanse is no coffee or tea and definitely no sugar or fruits. Just basically fresh meats, fish, and veggies and water and some sunflower seeds to snack on along with my candida cleansing supplements. It won't be easy. After 10 days, I'm going to add in tea and maybe coffee, but not sure about fruit yet. Idk how long I will go without Stevia in my tea as I'm from the south and just don't like unsweetened tea but I'm going to try it. I'm going to try to be strong and do what I must.

Last edited by Star73; 08-31-2011 at 05:04 AM..
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #117
Administrator

This is from Robb Wolf's quick start guide. It's very similar to Whole30 but not exactly the same:

Protein.
Ideally these options are grass fed or wild caught. If you cannot find those should you eat a bagel? No!
Conventional options are fine. Beans and rice do NOT count.
Land: Pork, beef, lamb.
Sea: Trout, salmon, shrimp, crab. You know…fishy type stuff!
Air: Chicken, turkey, duck, ostrich. I know, ostrich is flightless don’t get cheeky.
Round things out with some good quality bacon, omega-3 enriched eggs and some items like chickenapple
sausage to help you with breakfast on busy days.

Veggies.
Ideally these are local and organic, but again, this should not be a deal breaker. Our local mega-food
chain actually has the best produce outside of the farmers market, and at an amazing price. Shop with
the season, which typically means what is on sale. Mix up the colors.

Fruit.
Limit fruit to 1 serving per day if fat loss is your goal. A serving is not a whole watermelon. If you want
to screw things up and not make progress, eat all the fruit you want, it’s your nickel, ride the ride as
you like. In order of preference: Berries, melons, citrus, apples, pears. Bananas, papayas and mangoes
are great for athletes post workout but dodgy for folks who want to lose weight.

Fats.
Olive oil (extra virgin) coconut, avocado (oil and whole), macadamia (whole and oil), almonds, walnuts.
If fat loss is a goal limit nuts to 1-2 oz. per day.

Odds & Ends.
Marinara sauce, herbs, spices-curry powder, garlic, ginger, cilantro, garam massala, chili powder, black
pepper, lemon zest, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, oregano, and basil. Get at least 20 herbs and spices to
keep your cooking lively. Stock up on espresso, teas and mineral water as these are your beverages of
choice.

The majority of your meals look something like this:
• 4-8 oz of lean protein such as chicken, lean beef, turkey, pork loin or seafood.
• Several servings of vegetables, either raw, steamed, or lightly cooked.
• Finally, round out the meal with good fats from Avocado, olive oil or a handful of un-salted nuts
such as almonds, pecans, macadamias or walnuts.

• Protein every meal
• 3-4 meals per day
• Limit fruit to 1 serving if fat loss is a goal
• Limit nuts to 1-2 oz if fat loss is a goal
• Beverages are coffee, tea, minearal water. Unsweetened, this includes stevia.

Google "Robb Wolf 30 day challenge" and sign up for the pdf files that include a shopping list!

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:10 AM   #118
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
This is from Robb Wolf's quick start guide. It's very similar to Whole30 but not exactly the same:

Protein.
Ideally these options are grass fed or wild caught. If you cannot find those should you eat a bagel? No!
Conventional options are fine. Beans and rice do NOT count.
Land: Pork, beef, lamb.
Sea: Trout, salmon, shrimp, crab. You know…fishy type stuff!
Air: Chicken, turkey, duck, ostrich. I know, ostrich is flightless don’t get cheeky.
Round things out with some good quality bacon, omega-3 enriched eggs and some items like chickenapple
sausage to help you with breakfast on busy days.

Veggies.
Ideally these are local and organic, but again, this should not be a deal breaker. Our local mega-food
chain actually has the best produce outside of the farmers market, and at an amazing price. Shop with
the season, which typically means what is on sale. Mix up the colors.

Fruit.
Limit fruit to 1 serving per day if fat loss is your goal. A serving is not a whole watermelon. If you want
to screw things up and not make progress, eat all the fruit you want, it’s your nickel, ride the ride as
you like. In order of preference: Berries, melons, citrus, apples, pears. Bananas, papayas and mangoes
are great for athletes post workout but dodgy for folks who want to lose weight.

Fats.
Olive oil (extra virgin) coconut, avocado (oil and whole), macadamia (whole and oil), almonds, walnuts.
If fat loss is a goal limit nuts to 1-2 oz. per day.

Odds & Ends.
Marinara sauce, herbs, spices-curry powder, garlic, ginger, cilantro, garam massala, chili powder, black
pepper, lemon zest, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, oregano, and basil. Get at least 20 herbs and spices to
keep your cooking lively. Stock up on espresso, teas and mineral water as these are your beverages of
choice.

The majority of your meals look something like this:
• 4-8 oz of lean protein such as chicken, lean beef, turkey, pork loin or seafood.
• Several servings of vegetables, either raw, steamed, or lightly cooked.
• Finally, round out the meal with good fats from Avocado, olive oil or a handful of un-salted nuts
such as almonds, pecans, macadamias or walnuts.

• Protein every meal
• 3-4 meals per day
• Limit fruit to 1 serving if fat loss is a goal
• Limit nuts to 1-2 oz if fat loss is a goal
• Beverages are coffee, tea, minearal water. Unsweetened, this includes stevia.

Google "Robb Wolf 30 day challenge" and sign up for the pdf files that include a shopping list!
Thanks for the reminder! I was just about to go and read the list for a refresher as it's been a while. He says unsweetened , this includes stevia...so stevia is out??

Last edited by Star73; 08-31-2011 at 05:14 AM..
Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 AM   #119
Administrator

I'm thinking he means no sweeteners, including stevia lol. I was reading it hopefully as well! But no, my logical mind thinks he means not to use it.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:16 AM   #120
Blabbermouth!!!

Stevia, a natural herb is out, but bacon and coffee are ok? ok, I'll be good and try to follow the rules LOL!