Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #61
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasintrail View Post
If this has turned into a Whole30 challenge, I'm out. Sorry it's too strict, I don't feel the need.
Not necessary whole 30 but when you make a lot of exceptions for a little grains, processed foods, tons of dairy etc.. Its not a "challenge" anymore.....
Hence the name strict 30 day paleo challenge...
Its only 30 days, even if you give up in aweek you have nothing to lose.
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rae33
Stats: 237/189.6/168
WOE: low carb/SCD/primal
Start Date: January 2011
I am in! I have been interested in Paleo for quite some time but I feel 'addicted' to HWC in my coffee! I feel like it could be the reason my weight loss is a bit slower than I would like so I was already thinking about doing strict paleo for 30 days just to see what it's like. I was so happy to see this challenge here! I want to see if I feel better, lose faster and if my skin breakouts at TOM get better. I am already grain and legume free and cheese doesn't seem too hard to give up for 30 days so I appreciate the tips on the coconut cream and the coffee ice cubes- I think I will try that today!

I am actually thinking that stripping everything down to the basics will make life easier rather than harder. Meat, veggies, fats- that's it for shopping, menu planning and eating- I can do this!
rae33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #63
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Hey I had my 2nd day of black iced coffee and it wasn't so gag-worthy this time lol
I'm committed to giving it a real try. If I fail, I only fail myself but damn I *KNOW* I can do 30 days!
It won't be easy. While I don't eat a lot of cheese or dairy (other than the occasional greek yogurt and my morning coffee 1/2&1/2), or sweeteners (stevia in said coffee and occasionally in tea), it's a mental thing to give these up, not a physical need for them.
I think that this is a challenge for my brain, not my body lol.
So yes -I can do it!

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnejava
I'm in!!!

I've been thinking about this WOE and want to join the challenge too! I haven't decided exactly how to go, Whole 30, Paleo, Primal, but I'll decide by September 1st. The hardest thing for me will be no weighing and no wine!
lynnejava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lauraleeor
Stats: 210/140/135
WOE: paleo
Start Date: November 2009-medifast August 2011-paleo
y'all either need to read the Paleo Solution for the 30 day challenge there and follow up on robb wolf's site for 30 day info or get the whole30 guide from the whole9life it is so helpful to have the information you need right there--remember after 30 days you can evaluate and see what you think you can add back in.

the dairy was big for me-I just like greek yogurt after a workout and a little something in my coffee, etc but now in my 1st whole 30 I know I can live without it--especially with whipped coconut milk in my coffee, it rocks

I have lost so much swelling in my upper abdomen since starting, I know I still had inflammation issues even eating clean and low carb.

Laura LEe
lauraleeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Happy!

So I have been 'test driving' paleo for the last few days- meaning I'm getting ready for 100% and figuring out what are the areas that I need to concentrate on- example: I ate out yesterday and forgot to say 'no cheese' on my entree but that is ok because I will be ready come Sept 1 instead of making those mistakes once the challenge begins.

The good news is- just by limiting the cheese and the HWC I have FINALLY dropped under 200 lbs!!!!! I have been on low carb since January 1 and have been very happy with my weight loss- even though it's slower than what I'm used to (started at 237)- because I feel SOOOO good eating this way. But, I have been hovering right above 200 for a VERY long while. On Monday I was at 202, yesterday I was at 200.8 and this morning 198.6. WOW!! I'm thinking this paleo thing might just be the trick. I am really happy!!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #67
Administrator

Rae grats! It's amazing how much "fluff" we have in our diets (that ends up on our butts! lol).
I'm doing the same: really getting my head into this so when we start "for real" I'm ready and committed.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #68
Administrator

Sometimes trying to find a definitive answer is frustrating!
I know most soy sauces are a "no" because of the wheat/gluten.
How about coconut aminos?
Or fish sauce as long as it's a real fish sauce and not a chemical "sort of fish sauce"?
I know nomnompaleo recommends red boat fish sauce (just fish and salt, nothing else), so I assume it's ok?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #69
Administrator

Hmm. on that same note, I wonder if I could make a fish sauce using salt, anchovies and water or oil...
off to google!

Nvm... ages a year lol.
Maybe just adding anchovie paste would work
Old 08-25-2011, 03:52 AM   #70
Administrator

I ended up ordering the Red Boat fish sauce. I was checking other brands out on amazon and (thankfully) people posted reviews saying that the listings of ingredients (on the sales pages) were not complete and things like fructose, sugar, additives were being left out of the listings. It pays to read the reviews.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #71
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I ended up ordering the Red Boat fish sauce. I was checking other brands out on amazon and (thankfully) people posted reviews saying that the listings of ingredients (on the sales pages) were not complete and things like fructose, sugar, additives were being left out of the listings. It pays to read the reviews.
Dottie, you have no clue how much stuff I have cleaned from my pantry since going paleo....
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Hey y'all-we have a Penzy's here!!! I just saw it yesterday. I had no idea-it must be new.

I really think the cheese and other dairy could really have held you back rae-I am so glad you are getting this. just keep it simple!

Laura Lee
Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Desdemona98
Stats: 154/154/125
WOE: Primal
Start Date: still trying to start...
Well, I am more Primal than Paleo. I might just peak in on your challange and use it as modivation do my own.
Desdemona98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #74
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: grassfedgirl
Stats: 238/163/148
WOE: Atkins, protein Power, Paleo
Start Date: MAy 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I see Wolf allows for a little kerrygold butter. How about a little organic half/half, the brand I buy says pastured raised on the label. I think I can give up splenda more easily in my coffee if I can add a little half/half.
Are you all still waiting until Sept.1?
I do full fat coconut milk and a little stevia if you want. You will never need splenda again.
grassfedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #75
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona98 View Post
Well, I am more Primal than Paleo. I might just peak in on your challange and use it as modivation do my own.
Honestly, I'm still not sure exactly what the difference is
Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

thanks for the encouragement Dottie and Laura Lee. I LOVE Penzeys! Get on their mailing list and every once in a while they will send you a coupon for a free bottle of spice. The last one I got was for any bottle in the store- I chose the $14 bottle of curry powder- FREE!

Just wanted to report in that I am loving this WOE- it still just seems so much simpler- if only I could get DH and DS on board! Oh well, one step at a time, right? Today I was at 197.6 so the pounds are just dropping off! And I had just convinced myself that slow weight loss was OK and just a result of my age (44) and all my crazy dieting in the past. Maybe not! I'm open to the idea that this will slow down too and that will be okay but for now I am just enjoying getting on that scale each morning!

I did NOT like the coconut milk in the coffee so I think for now I will stick with iced black coffee and tea. Never did like sweeteners in those so not an issue there.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #77
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Very informative thread so thanks to all who posted.

I have been dabbling and slowly working to a more strict form of paleo and will move more towards a more streamlined way starting end of Sept.

I don't use creamers, cheese so paleo is pretty easy transition. My one food item that I do use on occassion is Duke's mayo. I don't trust myself yet to make my own.

I need to invest in getting a slow cooker. I use "everyday paleo" recipes as my go to.

I listen on occasion to Robb Wolf on itunes (free) - wish he didn't use profanity but have learned a lot.

Hopefully you all will do a new challenge October just to keep things going

edited to add...can I use the crock pot for recipes instead of a slow cooker? Are they the same?

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 08-28-2011 at 09:23 AM..
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #78
Administrator

yes a slow-cooker and crockpot are the same thing
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #79
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Thanks Dottie
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Chasintrail
Stats: 205/? size 10/8-10 5'6"
WOE: Primal - high-fat/real food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona98 View Post
It's OK. I do primal too, so I won't be doing the Whole30 plan, but the only real difference for me at least is the cream in my coffee. You can play too!

I'll actually be starting tomorrow. Today will be LC, but not really primal since I'll be eating in the caffeteria and didn't have time to make salad dressing this weekend. But I have a bunch of salad makings and chicken legs marinating for lunches the rest of the week. Any plenty of bison and grassfed beef, along with a bunny or two for dinners. Easy peasy.

Eat real food, mostly animals
Chasintrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

did someone say "ghee"? It is not on the whole 30--it is the one thing I used that was not on the plan--it is solely because of the lactose-which by clarifying the butter there is none.

Laura Lee
Old 08-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #82
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Animord
Hi, new here!

Hi, I am new here - first post! I would be definitely up for doing a proper Whole30 challenge with whomever is doing it. And I'd be very grateful for the motivation of having a bunch of people to answer to.

Have some people started or is everyone waiting until Thursday?

Animord
Animord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #83
Administrator

I don't think it will be an actual whole30, but a generic paleo challenge?
Either way, welcome and hope we get several people following!

I'm not whole30 because I do plan on using some stevia (the pure stuff, only fiber added, no chemicals)occasionally, and likely ghee on rare occasions (nothing better than a steak with a little drizzle of ghee on top!).
I still have no idea about Bragg's nutritional yeast?
While those are frowned upon in the "whole30" challenge, they're typically allowed on paleo, so I'm fine with that lol.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Hi Dottie

Thanks for that - ok - I am/was pretty much 100% primal, but I gave up smoking two weeks ago and fell spectacularly off the wagon lol - but hey, its better than smoking! So I am keen to get back to a fairly strict WOE for a while just to get back in the swing of it - I had no sugar or grain cravings and lost 20 pounds in July. But the withdrawals from the cigarettes (which I believe really affects blood sugar levels) were just too much for me.

Anyway, MY challenge is Whole30 + I WILL WALK THREE MILES PER DAY.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #85
Administrator

Huge congrats on quitting smoking! That's such a big step to a healthier you!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #86
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Dottie.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #87
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TJBW
Stats: 258/244/135
WOE: LifestyleMedicalClinic
Start Date: 8/28/11
I think I can do it. I do get bored with limited choices but Paleo Plan has some great menus and recipes that will help.
TJBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #88
Administrator

Welcome TJ
Old 08-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: itsme12i
hi...I'm in.

y'all don't know me...I'm a lurker...I shop through Netrition quite a bit.

I'm going pretty strict with a couple of allowances (in moderation):

nonfat greek yogurt
sweeteners such as stevia and liquid splenda
some bottled sauces which I suppose would be come under "processed foods" such as Coconut Secret aminos ...tomato sauce etc.
itsme12i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #90
Administrator

I got some of the Red Boat fish sauce (just anchovies and salt) to replace my aminos just to be on the safe side
There may be other paleo-safe brands of fish sauce out there, just not in my backwoods town lol