Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Sorry for so many questions....I have another (beginner) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/728909-sorry-so-many-questions-i-have-another-beginner.html)

4Angels2 07-20-2011 10:59 PM

Sorry for so many questions....I have another (beginner)

I realized that I was not fully prepared to start a Paleo lifestyle....I live with extended family and they all think that it is crazy for me to spend so much money on grass fed beef and free range chicken and eggs, veggies(organic) I discovered long ago how to get them rather cheap, I also switched most diary to coconut milk varieties and have found ways to score that inexpensively also. I guess I am trying to find ways to lessen the expense of meat and I do not eat pork, so my bacon is usually turkey. Does anyone have any suggestions that will not break the bank? And I want my kids to eat this way also we are a family of three, I am a single mother so there is only one income in the home. I also have another question...has anyone out there had their thyroid removed and been successful at this? I had mine taken out, I was told by doc that it was the main factor in my weight gain(I gained 86 pounds in three years, not from over eating) and they found nodules, which gave them the other reason, my thyroid was so big it was actually starting to choke me. I am on the right amount of meds, lost a little since it came out and was told I was going to have to work on getting the rest of my weight off, after the weight loss stopped. Sorry, so long thread, its just I have asked these questions on other posts and it is always "I dunno" answers. I have already spoken to my doctors about the Paleo lifestyle and they all agreed it was safe and beneficial, they joked they were not strong enough to give up their "tarts and yeast" and basically want to see how I do to encourage other patients.:confused:

Dottie 07-21-2011 05:34 AM

Generally: buy what you can afford and (for meat) if it's not organic, grass fed go with the leanest cuts you can find because the bad stuff is in the fat part (I believe that's what I've read).

Brandieelynne 07-24-2011 06:19 PM

I agree with Dottie; do what you can but don't break the bank!

Honestly we don't buy everything organic, but I do look for wild-caught fish in the frozen section. Today I noticed organic frozen ground turkey in my grocery. Also I buy the organic chickens at costco and I make broth with the bones so I really get my $$'s worth. If you don't buy organic veggies you can soak them in a water/vinegar solution to help clean off the chemicals.

Also google the "dirty dozen" and you should find a list of the produce recommended to buy organic due to the high levels of chemicals. There is also a list of the more "clean" vegetables which don't necessarily need to be organic. I found that this list helped save me money personally.

We also have egg salad or tuna salad on cucumber slices (inexpensive meals) to offset the cost of the expensive meat.

If there are other ideas I'd sure love to hear them, I love to save money!

Chrystee 07-29-2011 07:45 PM

I don't worry about all that. I just get lean meats and sometimes steaks, veggies, fruit, seeds and nuts.