Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Hungrier when I eat fatty foods? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/728688-hungrier-when-i-eat-fatty-foods.html)

Dottie 07-18-2011 06:21 PM

Hungrier when I eat fatty foods?

On a whim, we had chicken wings for supper and I was starving about 30 minutes after.
I was thinking about my eating habits and I realize I am usually starving very shortly after eating a fatty(ish) meal, much more than if I have a regular lean protein and veggie meal.
Anyone else notice this?

jeaniem 07-18-2011 06:26 PM

Yep. Higher protein/lower fat (not low/no fat) works best for me. I am not eating paleo though.

LJB 07-18-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 14838554)
On a whim, we had chicken wings for supper and I was starving about 30 minutes after.
I was thinking about my eating habits and I realize I am usually starving very shortly after eating a fatty(ish) meal, much more than if I have a regular lean protein and veggie meal.
Anyone else notice this?

Vegetables are great for volume, fills you faster and takes longer to digest. I love eating chicken thighs or other types of meat with my vegetables.

Dottie 07-19-2011 03:47 AM

That's how I am. I can eat a good 4-6oz steak and a big salad and be pleasantly full, but I can eat a dozen wings and still be looking to graze.
Anything with broccoli as a side dish and I'm stuffed for hours lol.

momtocj7mea 07-19-2011 08:17 AM

I think saturated fat creates hunger, but good fats like olive oil/coconut oil actually keep me very full. I am sure most of you know the scoop on coconut oil even though it is a saturated fat, it a medium chain fatty acid that is not typically stored as fat.

ouizoid 07-19-2011 08:23 AM

me too--the fattier it is the hungrier I get. Lowfat works a whole lot better for me

LJB 07-19-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 14839078)
That's how I am. I can eat a good 4-6oz steak and a big salad and be pleasantly full, but I can eat a dozen wings and still be looking to graze.
Anything with broccoli as a side dish and I'm stuffed for hours lol.

Think of it as fuel for your car.

High Fat Meat Only = Alcohol (Burns quickly and leaves you really hungry right after.)

High Fat Meat with Veggies = High Octane Gas (Burns slower and gives you energy until the next fuel up.)

Dottie 07-19-2011 02:56 PM

Good points:)
I love my paleo mayo (coconut and light olive oil) and that stuff is very filling, and tastes a lot better than pre-made mayo!

littlestone 07-19-2011 03:41 PM

I'm doing atkins induction (lotso fat!) and I get very hungry every couple of hours. i usually end up eating five or six times a day, but I'm not complaining... i feel like it's been kicking up my metabolism! :kicking: (that's my metabolism, right there. hahaha.)

Brandieelynne 07-28-2011 11:50 AM

About chicken - I have a friend at the gym (one of the coaches) who says that he can get away with eating chicken prior to working out because he says it's digested fairly quickly. I've never thought of this before, and I don't know if it's true or not, but he made a point of it. So, I wonder if there is something to it!?

Dottie 07-28-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandieelynne (Post 14865868)
About chicken - I have a friend at the gym (one of the coaches) who says that he can get away with eating chicken prior to working out because he says it's digested fairly quickly. I've never thought of this before, and I don't know if it's true or not, but he made a point of it. So, I wonder if there is something to it!?

I bet Ileen (inatic) would know lol - she knows everything about fitness and fitness diets :)