Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Just a couple questions

I have recently started kettlebell and my trainer recommended eating this WOL. I am confused by a couple of things!

I did take all dairy, grains and soy out of my diet.... I have to say my stomach has never felt this good.

Do you buy all grass fed meats?? All organic veggie/fruit and organic eggs??

Which book to you recommend the most??

Do you use truvia??

Do you eat beans??

Do you monitor calories?? If so what percent are you shooting for??

Are you seeing changes. I am looking to loose body fat. I am considered a skinny fat person. My BF 29 and I am shooting for 23. I will re-check in a month so do not know if I am losing but clothes r fitting a bit better.

Thanks for taking the time Jodi

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I am not a devoted paleo follower just yet, although I do believe it is a great way of eating...

I like Mark Sisson's take on things (Primal Blueprint book and Mark's Daily Apple on the web). Some of the others bow to the medical establishment and say to avoid saturated fats and Mark Sisson doesn't. He also recommends thinking about exercise and eating as a percentage- do what is best 85% (maybe that isn't the right percentage, it has been awhile) of the time. A little dark chocolate here and there, some wine, and a bit of dairy in a recipe, makes living easier.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!, 9/14/14- Title 9K, 11/?/14- looking for a late fall race, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
ok the book I like the most is Robb Wolfs...

I buy grass fed and organic when I can afford to.. its not 100% often but when I can I do but I do suppliment with omega 3s...

You are not allowed to eat beans or legumes on paleo, or dairy.

No sweetners on paleo either. No artifical or real. (some paleo people use organic raw honey after a few months)

I personally do not count calories, and I have since yet stopped counting carbs.

I am not enjoying fruits, unlimited unstarchie veggies, and protein. This way of eating is amazing and I wouldnt trade it for the world.
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I am deff seeing major changes.. From a few days after giving birth to my son and just going back to low carb (2 months after he was born) I lost about 25lbs (I was 212 the day before I gave birth so losing 25 lbs isn't much!) and my body fat percent stayed at 42%

I'm 163 now, and my bodyfat is 35.5% which to me is alot better then the weightloss lol
When I started paleo I was 179 and I have been on for about 2.5 months. I'm not so worried about the pounds falling off since I'm about 23lbs from goal, but the fat % moving down so much is amazing to me. And for me I don't care if i'm 140 or 175, but when my goal pants fit I know I have acchieved my goal, not by the pounds on the scale...
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cuthbert
Stats: 265/199/200
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: December 2010
The only thing I'd add to Kerry's comments are that if you do buy grain fed meat, that you get the leaner version as much of what is bad is dissolved in the fat. Make up the fat loss by eating healthy fats like Coconut oil and supplement with fish oil or Cod Liver Oil. Olive oil is also fine as long as you don't use it to cook with.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nanberrycritter
Stats: 315/283/135 5'5" age 42 (scale-free since Dec)
WOE: LC primal + raw dairy
Start Date: ketogenic since Dec 20, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKat View Post
I have recently started kettlebell and my trainer recommended eating this WOL. I am confused by a couple of things!

I did take all dairy, grains and soy out of my diet.... I have to say my stomach has never felt this good.

Do you buy all grass fed meats?? All organic veggie/fruit and organic eggs??

Which book to you recommend the most??

Do you use truvia??

Do you eat beans??

Do you monitor calories?? If so what percent are you shooting for??

Are you seeing changes. I am looking to loose body fat. I am considered a skinny fat person. My BF 29 and I am shooting for 23. I will re-check in a month so do not know if I am losing but clothes r fitting a bit better.

Thanks for taking the time Jodi
If I could afford all grass-fed and all organic, then I most definitely would. It's something I am working towards. Get what you can whenever you can and try not to stress out about it. I do make sure that I buy eggs from pastured chickens, from local farms or homesteads. Conventional eggs have such high omega-6 content and little omega-3. Plus the chickens are kept in such dreadful conditions. I want eggs from chickens that get to go outside in the sunshine and eat grass and bugs. That produces the best eggs.

I do allow dairy on my plan, but my milk is raw milk from grass-fed cows. My heavy cream and butter is from grass-fed cows (can't get it raw). Occassionally I have raw milk cheese, but it is expensive so I don't have it often. I believe it is modern confinement dairy that is a health problem, not raw dairy from pastured cows.

I'm currently reading Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. I also hang out at MDA.

I don't use the Truvia brand for political reasons. It is produced by Cargill, a major agribusiness. I do use other brands of stevia and erythritol. I like xylitol too, from non-GMO corn sources.

I don't eat beans right now. But if I did I'd buy them dry and prepare them the WAPF way, and eat sparingly.

I don't count calories. I mainly focus on my protein grams, shooting for 100g a day. Usually fall in the the 65-100 range. Occassionally go over if I've been cooking a lot. I figure carbs and fat will take care of themselves.
nanberrycritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sadie_adriana
Stats: start 199/current 135
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: January 2011
We do buy grass fed beef most of the time, when not, like Cuthbert said, I try not to eat/buy the fattier cuts of the grain fed beef.
I do buy alot of organic vegetables and fruits, not always.

I dont use anything like Truvia, I do eat fruits and they are plenty sweet to me.

The only beans I eat are green beans/string beans

I dont count calories

I felt changes after two days or so eating paleo, the 'bloat' goes away so fast, its amazing. Without dairy, I allowed myself more carbs per day, I lost weight quickly, felt 100 times better! without any cravings!!
Good luck
Old 07-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/213/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
About the grassfed beef.....

If you have the space, it can be much cheaper to buy in bulk. I just bought what they call a "split half" that wound up being just over 100 lbs of meat (they say that was a pretty big steer, 100 lbs is unusual). It all fit into a small chest freezer with room to spare that sits in a little corner of my garage. It fit in the laundry room of my old house. I have had the freezer for about 8 years or so, but is was less than $150 when I bought it.

By buying in bulk, I paid $6.30/lb. I could get grassfed organic hamburger a little cheaper than that at Costco ($5.99/lb I think), but you can't touch any other grassfed cut for that price. I could have taken it in several deliveries for $7.10/lb if I didn't have the feezer space. Still not too bad.

I'm also pretty lucky to live in California hippy-dippy land where there is no shortage of organic food and basically a year-round growing season. I don't know how easy this stuff would be to find in other places.

Last edited by GME; 07-17-2011 at 12:07 PM..
GME is online now   Reply With Quote