Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Calories on paleo very low? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/728078-calories-paleo-very-low.html)

Dottie 07-13-2011 06:59 AM

Calories on paleo very low?

Or is it just me?
I find I'm satisfied with very little food on paleo.
I've added things like avocado and coconut oil just to get my calories to 1000 many days.
Last night, after ringing up my calories for the day, I found they were just under 700, so I was foraging for something to snack on, but I wasn't hungry and nothing looked good lol.
I ended up making a protein shake (whey protein powder, almond milk) and was still under 1000 calories.
Anyone else find that they're just not hungry?

granolamom 07-13-2011 12:40 PM

I think I was out of ketosis for a few weeks and I feel like I'm back in now!!!! I'm not eating a ton of food but with my fish oil dosing right now and the coconut oil bark I'm not having an issue with calories.
Monday was 1362 yesterday was 1169 I had planned more CO bark but I was so stuffed last night that I didn't need any.
I personally like to stay around the 1200-1400 range thats where I feel good typically but I'm not going to force myself to eat if I come under that.

LeanLioness 07-13-2011 01:03 PM

Yes, so far my calories for the day is 586 and I feel like I have had a ton to eat and feel very satisfied.

I had a caesar salad with chia seeds and slivered almonds and home made caesar dressing, 5 baby carrots, some deer sausage, water and coffee.

nolcjunk 07-13-2011 05:56 PM

I have found the same thing. I think it's because on paleo you skip most processed foods which contain a lot of fillers and additives that stimulate hunger and cravings. When I am eating mostly whole foods I am satisfied with a lot less and do not want to eat off plan or feel a need to overeat.

I think it's fine as long as you aren't doing it on purpose (not eating when you are hungry) and are eating nutrient and protein rich foods

sadie_adriana 07-13-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 14824625)
I have found the same thing. I think it's because on paleo you skip most processed foods which contain a lot of fillers and additives that stimulate hunger and cravings. When I am eating mostly whole foods I am satisfied with a lot less and do not want to eat off plan or feel a need to overeat.

I think it's fine as long as you aren't doing it on purpose (not eating when you are hungry) and are eating nutrient and protein rich foods

I agree with this, my calories are on the lower side, I do eat a ton of veg, including homemade mayo and olive oil. I continued to lose weight including nightly frozen blueberries (around a cup)with a couple Tbsp coconut milk (can) over the top. This would add some calories, in a wonderful way! I also sprinkle the berries with the big unsweetened coconut flakes.
I consume approx around 70-100 grams protein depending on the day.
mostly chicken, fish, beef a couple nights a week.
I know I'm rambling here, but I have also started enjoying some chocolate bar, the kind with no sugar, for cooking I guess, its amazing, I did buy a great quality bar, maybe thats why its so good. My husband thought it was really bitter lol

granolamom 07-13-2011 09:19 PM

ok so now its 9pm and I've only had 837 calories this is very rare for me... I think I'll have another piece of coconut bark to boost it up a bit. I'm not feeling famished at all but I am feeling like I'd be ok with a few bites of something.

Cuthbert 07-14-2011 06:01 AM

This is consistent with what I've observed as well. After spending most of my life being hungry or compelled to eat, it is downright weird to look at the quantity of food I eat now vs. what I used to eat. Lots of folks say that eating low carb involves tons of meat, yet I find that if I bother to check my ratios of macros, they remain the same while I eat just a fraction of what I used to. I'm literally creating a dietary calorie deficit without the discomfort of hunger by living off of my own fat reserves. I imagine when those get down to a certain level, I'll feel compelled to eat more.

Gweebles 07-25-2011 08:21 AM

The first couple of days I ate constantly, but as my body got into ketosis, I wasn't hungry much either. Yesterday, I had a hamburger patty and 2 chicken thighs and really didn't want much else.

Chrystee 07-28-2011 08:19 PM

How long have you been doing paleo, Dottie?

Dottie 07-29-2011 05:43 AM

Several months, it's pretty simple to follow:)

Chrystee 07-29-2011 12:00 PM

Can I ask how much weight you've lost? I'm on about 3 weeks and 8 pounds. :)

Dottie 07-29-2011 12:42 PM

I started it because I am stalled after a good loss, so I'm still bouncing around the same weight but my clothes are much looser. I was told my body is adjusting to the new low weight lol, so I'll stick to it since I feel so much better anyway :)
I'm making a conscience effort to get my calories up since they've been really low. I've doubled them from around an average of 700-800 a day to over 1500-1700 a day the last week and I've dropped 2 pounds, so that's promising.

Chrystee 07-29-2011 07:43 PM

Awesome!