Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sugarfreesue
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: June-2011
New to board

Hi,

I am new to the board, but having been trying to low carb for awhile. I have celiac disease and lactose intolerance and so thought I would try paleo since it eliminates carbs and dairy for the most part. I have already read tons of books about paleo and definitely think it's how I should be eating.
sugarfreesue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Welcome
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cuthbert
Stats: 265/199/200
Start Date: December 2010
Welcome aboard! Paleo is definitely a great pillar to build upon, however, it doesn't eliminate carbs. You can eat as many or as few as you like as long as they aren't grains, legumes, or processed to death. Heck, I eat more vegetables now than I ever did when I ate a SAD. The other thing that is vital to succeeding with Paleo is to eat healthy fats. Don't eat ANY transfats, and avoid as much as possible the vegetable oils. Try to cook primarily with animal fat, ghee(clarified butter), butter if you can tolerate it or coconut oil. Olive oil is also fine as long as you don't use it to cook much as it becomes a lot less healthy when heat is applied to it. It is however, great in dressings and such.
Once you start eating this way, you should almost instantly see improvements in your health markers, and over the longer haul you'll notice you aren't necessarily hungry at all. One of the greatest benefit is that you don't have to keep stoking the fire so to speak. Humans evolved to survive in uncertain times. If they had to eat all the time just to keep up their blood glucose levels, the species would have gone the way of the dodo many moons ago. You'll understand this really well when you become fat adapted if you not there already. Beside all of this, my only suggestion would be to try to find the best source of meat and produce you possibly can. Maybe visit the eat wild website to see where that might be, and if there isn't anyone close, you might consider getting a freezer to stock up on the good stuff as much as your budget allows.

Necessity is the mother of invention, but laziness is the father. <me>

You can lead a horse to water, but an enema may be required. <me>

If eating fat makes you fat, then what does eating fruit make you?
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Welcome
thanks for the welcome.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert View Post
Welcome aboard! Paleo is definitely a great pillar to build upon, however, it doesn't eliminate carbs. You can eat as many or as few as you like as long as they aren't grains, legumes, or processed to death. Heck, I eat more vegetables now than I ever did when I ate a SAD. The other thing that is vital to succeeding with Paleo is to eat healthy fats. Don't eat ANY transfats, and avoid as much as possible the vegetable oils. Try to cook primarily with animal fat, ghee(clarified butter), butter if you can tolerate it or coconut oil. Olive oil is also fine as long as you don't use it to cook much as it becomes a lot less healthy when heat is applied to it. It is however, great in dressings and such.
Once you start eating this way, you should almost instantly see improvements in your health markers, and over the longer haul you'll notice you aren't necessarily hungry at all. One of the greatest benefit is that you don't have to keep stoking the fire so to speak. Humans evolved to survive in uncertain times. If they had to eat all the time just to keep up their blood glucose levels, the species would have gone the way of the dodo many moons ago. You'll understand this really well when you become fat adapted if you not there already. Beside all of this, my only suggestion would be to try to find the best source of meat and produce you possibly can. Maybe visit the eat wild website to see where that might be, and if there isn't anyone close, you might consider getting a freezer to stock up on the good stuff as much as your budget allows.
Thanks for the welcome and advice.

When I was first diagnosed with celiac I went out and bought a bunch of gluten-free food like GF pasta, cereal, cakes mixes, etc. I found it was just as crappy as the non-GF stuff. Then I read some stuff on the Celiac and gluten-free forums and blogs about Paleo. I studied anthopology in college and did a paper on the hunter-gatherer Sans/Kung Bushmen of Africa and am also really interested in Native Americans. I also enjoy studying the history of food and eating, so all this stuff fascinates me.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Thick and Delicious

Gallery: CARLINI
Stats: 303/252/140
WOE: Eating REAL food
Start Date: 2/14/2004
CARLINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ardawn
WOE: gluten free,low carb,whole foods
Start Date: Gluten Free,Sugar Free as of Aug.2009
Hi Sue! I too ,am celiac and though i haven't been diagnosed with lactose intolerance,I strongly suspect that is the case.

Welcome to the board!!!
ardawn is offline   Reply With Quote