Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 230/207/170
WOE: Primal, No grain, LC, My way!
Start Date: May, 2011
Budgetary and Pantry Woes

Ugh I am having a conundrum.

We have been eating primal since the end of April. It has done wonders for my husband's health and everyone in the house has benefited weight wise, even my kids look less bloated.

But I have two problems. First off is money. I am struggling to feed us this way and stay in our very small budget. I need to feed 4 of us on $125 a week and that is 3 meals a day plus usually a snack or two depending on the day and person. This month we ran short of money at the end of the month and we are off the low carb and primal wagon until Saturday when I can shop again. I have tried shopping the sales and only buying the cheapest stuff I can find. It is not helping obviously.

My other problem is that I like to be prepared. With having no extra money I am not able to stock up on anything. I like to have extra on hand in case of emergency and I just do not have much other than a bunch of carby grains and beans from pre-primal and pre-lc.

Has anyone figured out how to make this woe work? I am just so frustrated! I know we need to do this but HOW?
barefoot_cavegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pamalee63
Stats: 255/238/155
WOE: South Beach Phase 1
There is a thread on this site with ideas for cheapskate low-carbing that might help. You might have to vary things a bit for your plan.

You should be able to search for cheap and see what comes up.
Pamalee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Do your best to budget in a freezer, even a small one, if you don't have one. That way you can take advantage of sales, marked down meats, etc. It can really free up your normal weekly food budget if you can have stuff "on hand" to cook and maybe save up part of the budget for better sales.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Also, be sure to check manufacturers web sites for printable coupons! And if they don't have any, email them or call and ask for them to send you some. Most manufacturers are happy to gain a customer that way.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Frozen veggies instead of fresh, and I always stop worrying about grass fed when money is tight.
Shop at international markets, meat/poultry/pork/veal/chicken/seafood is so much cheaper at the asian and russian markets around my way. EVEN VEGGIES ARE TOO!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midlyfechrysalis
Stats: 237/212/something healthy
WOE: Meat, veggies, eggs, limited dairy
Start Date: 9/7/13 (interupted 10/15 by car accident)
I often shop late at night or early in the morning. Groceries often have the greatest selection of clearance items at that time. Kroger (I'm in Texas, you might have to experiement to see what stores do this near you) has the best mark downs on produce items.

I can often get cut, ready to eat fruits and veggies far cheaper than if I purchased and processed myself. I get the veggies for me, give the kids the carrots, and there are often apple/cheese trays on clearance.

The same for meat. I buy one sale *and* clearance meats. I haven't had a full price steak in years. I've seen primal/paleo friendly hot dogs on clearance, I've gotten 100% grass fed frozen burgers marked down by half, chicken and pork chops are commonly marked down, too.

If you do yogurt (I am currently Whole 30, so dairy is out for me right now) greek yogurt is often marked down.

Even bags of salads can be found very discounted.

No Fat Summer Challenge - Goal: 175 by Summer

March 1 - 205 (going on a vacation in February)
April 1 - 195
May 1 - 187
June 1 - 180
June 21 - 175
Midlyfechrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I am no paleo expert, but aren't beans OK? Work them into more of your meals as filler and spread them out that way (so you aren't overdoing it at the end of the month).
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
@GME- no, no beans at all.

Eggs, sale meats...I've also read to do roasts as they are cost effective. I wouldn't worry about grass-fed and organic at this point. Frozen veggies are good, but I've had better luck cost-wise buying fresh? You can usually find good prices on apples in bulk, too. (((HUGS))) Nuts in bulk are relatively easy to find, too.
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cuthbert
Stats: 265/199/200
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: December 2010
Add Whole coconuts to your list. They are usually less than 2 dollars a piece.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: momtocj7mea
Stats: 282/179/162
WOE: Paleo/Primal..whole foods FTW!
Start Date: 11/30/11
Find out from your meat manager at your local grocery store when they mark meats down. For me, it is early morning and I always go early morning at least twice a week and stock up.....boneless skinless chicken thighs for $1.50 a pack, 3-4lb roasts for $4-$5, pork tenderloins for $4.50 each, etc. If it don't have an orange sticker on it, I typically don't buy it, lol!!
momtocj7mea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Buy your meat and eggs (and any dairy like butter) in bulk at Costco or Sam's club. Pick up veggies at the regular market. I've been doing it this way for years and years and save a good deal of money over when I bought all our meat at the grocery store.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote