Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Butter for the first time since may 1st (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/726834-butter-first-time-since-may-1st.html)

QueenBacon 07-02-2011 06:28 PM

Butter for the first time since may 1st

And now my belly is killing me. Guess this of not something I will be able to add back in... It's good organic grass fed butter too.. Anyone else have this problem? I wonder if I wil be able to tolerate hard cheeses?

nanberrycritter 07-04-2011 07:34 AM

Have you tried ghee, also know as clarified butter? It is the butter fat with all the milk solids removed.

QueenBacon 07-04-2011 08:22 AM

Can you buy it?
I think the local international market may have it. I really don't miss it that much though...
I'm glad im not alone though because hubby said it killed his belly also..

Dottie 07-04-2011 09:27 AM

If it bothered you both, could it have been contaminated? Maybe try another brand?

QueenBacon 07-04-2011 09:28 AM

Well I have not had dairy in over 60 days.. I dont think it was contaminated, its Kerry Gold, pretty decent brand. It didn't bother my daughter at all either..

Dottie 07-04-2011 09:33 AM

I love Kerrygold. It's a cultured butter, may be different than regular butters? Not sure what the difference would be as far as a stomach issue.

barefoot_cavegirl 07-04-2011 04:43 PM

I would suggest ghee. Look for it in the international section of the store in a jar. You can order it online too. You can also try to make it.

Cuthbert 07-05-2011 07:32 PM

I found something better than butter. It's called rendered pork fat. You can flavor it too. None of the milk solids and if you render it yourself you get the leftover cracklins you can sprinkle on your salad. That's a great twofer!

juliekaboolie 07-06-2011 09:08 AM

Sounds like you are lactose intolerant, Kerry! Bummer for you!! :) Maybe the rendered pork fat would be better?

CARLINI 07-07-2011 09:14 AM

I could be wrong but I don't think butter contains lactose. It's purely fat with most other stuff removed. Either way Kerry, if you don't eat a food for a long time and get a reaction when you add it back in... well then your body doesn't like it. And that's okay. There are plenty of options. You could try testing it again in a few weeks just to be sure. :hugs:

nolcjunk 07-07-2011 10:32 AM

could it just be lack of enzymes to digest the butter? If you don't eat something for a while your body has a harder time digesting it until it has all the necessary enzymes again.

Do you eat a lot of heavy/oily things? Maybe the butter is too fatty for your stomach if you haven't been eating a lot of fat.

I would try again for a few days in a row.

I get this with fattier steaks- I usually don't eat a lot of steak but sometimes I get a craving for beef fat and have steaks/burgers for a few days in a row and it's like my stomach forgot how to digest them. After a while the problem goes away.

lisabinil 07-07-2011 10:37 AM

Did you eat a small portion or pig out on the butter? That would make a difference too.