Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   What books do you recommend? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/726029-what-books-do-you-recommend.html)

Dottie 06-25-2011 10:24 AM

What books do you recommend?

Remember no links ;)

I have:
Primal Blueprint
Primal Blueprint cookbook
Primal Blueprint quick and easy meals
Against the Grain (not really paleo/primal but interesting)

barefoot_cavegirl 06-25-2011 05:02 PM

Every Day Paleo is a great cook book. The pictures are not stunning but I like that because I know that it is "mom food" that a real family eats not some fancy gourmet thing a chef came up with to make money.

sadie_adriana 06-25-2011 11:45 PM

I have gotten mostly all of my paleo information from podcasts on itunes.
Everyday paleo is my favorite. Sarah Fergoso makes a paleo lifestyle very easy with the knowledge she (they) share.
I have also enjoyed listening to "The Paleo solution" and "paleo news" on itunes.
I want to buy Sarahs book "Everyday Paleo" the recipes sound great.

QueenBacon 06-26-2011 06:22 AM

I love "the paleo solution " by robb wolf. He makes reading the book very fun..

onesmallbowl 06-26-2011 10:57 PM

Neanderthin by Ray Audette was my favourite and original paleo book.

fawn 06-27-2011 09:31 PM

The Paleo Diet and The Paleo Diet Cookbook Loren Cordain
The New Evolution Diet by Art Devany
The Paleo Solution Robb Wolf

LowCarbWannabe 06-27-2011 10:04 PM

I really liked the Paleo Diet Cookbook. I also go on the Everyday Paleo website frequently to look for recipes.

Midlyfechrysalis 06-28-2011 07:46 PM

I've read Primal Blueprint (and I am active "over there")

I'm finishing the Paleo Solution.

I read Neanderthin years ago, but can't remember anything about it.

Dottie 06-29-2011 06:08 AM

lol I was browsing amazon and there are so many "paleo" books now that all seem to be just rip-offs of others work with a few new words tossed in so they can say it's their own ideas.

LJB 06-29-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawn (Post 14775581)
The Paleo Diet and The Paleo Diet Cookbook Loren Cordain
The New Evolution Diet by Art Devany
The Paleo Solution Robb Wolf

Thanks for sharing.:cool:

DFH 07-03-2011 12:02 PM

I like the Primal Blueprint, Paleo Diet, Protein Power, and WWGF by Taubes.

sugarfreesue 07-11-2011 02:58 PM

I have read almost all the books out there about paleo style eating and the one I like the best for practical purposes is Everyday Paleo bySarah Fragoso. It's new, tells a lot about the author who is married with three kids and has great illustrated recipes and a large illustrated exercise section. It is extremely useful. If you want to buy one, this is the one to buy in my opinion. Mark Sisson's books are also good (Primal Blueprint, Primal Blueprint Cookbook and Primal Quick & Easty Cookbok).

LeanLioness 07-13-2011 01:47 PM

I have all the above mentioned books by other posters.

My most recent book purchase is Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora T Gedgaudas.

I just started reading it.

Mssarge 07-24-2011 08:59 PM

Any comments/thoughts about The New Evolution Diet by Arthur De Vany? It's my first book on the paleo-style of eating and it seems really interesting...

Mary in SoCal

Gweebles 07-25-2011 09:17 AM

Neanderthin is my book of choice. I got it free from an old friend back when I was on the ASDLC board and I am happy I kept it. That thing is expensive now on amazon and ebay!

Dottie 07-25-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mssarge (Post 14855098)
Any comments/thoughts about The New Evolution Diet by Arthur De Vany? It's my first book on the paleo-style of eating and it seems really interesting...

Mary in SoCal

I have it on my kindle but I barely skimmed it. Looked an awful lot like every other book. IMO if you have one paleo/primal book, you probably have the gist of every other one out there.
I have found blogs much more informative than the books, honestly.

Mssarge 07-25-2011 04:47 PM

Thanks for the replies, and I agree about the blogs. I have become interested in Paleo and have been checking out the blogs and there is a lot of good info out there...I'm sure there's some bad stuff, too, so you have to be cautious of what you follow. I was particularly interested in De Vany's comments on exercise which I haven't seen on any of the blogs. (I, too, picked up the book for my Kindle.) Maybe I'll check with some of the other books.

Thanks again Mary in SoCal

micheleredit 07-26-2011 08:57 AM

Soo many books to choose from?? Which one should I get if I'm a beginner and want to find out more about what to eat and when??

Dottie 07-26-2011 09:02 AM

Google "paleo basics" and start reading blogs before you buy any books:)
There are a lot of blogs and sites dedicated to this type of eating (but basically it's: keep it simple).

QueenBacon 07-26-2011 11:49 AM

"K.I.S.S" (keep it simple, ......)

QueenBacon 07-26-2011 11:50 AM

the whole30 has alot of good information on the site.. you almost don't need a book after reading their guidelines..
I suggest everyone eat totally clean for 30 days to just see how good they can feel, what do you have to lose?

TJBW 09-06-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micheleredit (Post 14859004)
Soo many books to choose from?? Which one should I get if I'm a beginner and want to find out more about what to eat and when??

Don't forget about the website PaleoPlan. They offer weekly menu plans with shopping lists. It's a great time saver! And the recipes I've tried so far are DEEEElicious! :kicking:

vli1127 09-11-2011 03:31 PM

Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life by Nora T. Gedgaudas

fawn 09-12-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 14870461)
lol Fawn is definitely not a "Mr" ;)

:hyst: Dottie, this made me think of the food role I'm in at home. I'm the rib eating, fat eating girl and hubby is the boneless skinless chicken breast type so maybe I'm a "mr." of sorts??? :)

Wheat Belly is one I'm currently reading and wow oh wow.....

Michiko 01-24-2012 08:45 PM

Wheat Belly by William Davis
The Smarter Science of Slim by Jonathan Bailor

I just finished reading both of these books within the past couple of weeks and although they are not touted as being "primal" or "paleo", the principles are very similar and the advice within sound.

odanny 01-29-2012 07:37 PM

Wheat Belly by William Davis M.D. is great for the scientific background on the transformation of wheat into a genetically modified, harmful food. His book is what has gotten me into the Paleo lifestyle (just started both)

I also think "The Primal Blueprint 21 Day Total Transformation" by Mark Sisson is extremely useful to those just beginning the Paleo lifestyle

Stevie Renee 02-01-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odanny (Post 15372425)
Wheat Belly by William Davis M.D. is great for the scientific background on the transformation of wheat into a genetically modified, harmful food. His book is what has gotten me into the Paleo lifestyle (just started both)

I also think "The Primal Blueprint 21 Day Total Transformation" by Mark Sisson is extremely useful to those just beginning the Paleo lifestyle

Dont forget to check out his 2 blogs ( Wheat Belly & heartscan)
:)

speds 05-08-2012 12:46 PM

I just ordered "Paleo Comfort Foods" and "Eat like a Dinosaur" as they were well-reviewed. I'll let you know what I think when I get them (tomorrow).

TryAgain 08-03-2012 10:35 AM

It starts with food
Well fed

girondet 08-04-2012 03:09 PM

I just got the Nom Nom Paleo app for the iPad, for recipes. It looks good, with pictures of the steps. I'll try my first one this weekend.

I have read most of the paleo blogs, listened to podcasts and read most of the books. It's all good and I don't regret going over the same territory, even. It keeps me inspired!