Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   Primal and Paleo recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/725868-primal-paleo-recipes.html)

QueenBacon 06-23-2011 04:13 PM

Primal and Paleo recipes

We need a space to post our faves so here it is!

QueenBacon 06-23-2011 04:41 PM

so I'll start.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE for dessert...
Take a plaintain and slice it thin, fry in coconut oil till crispy then top with cinnamon.. YUMMMY!

Dottie 06-26-2011 01:08 PM

My "paleo" pancake

Ingredients
2 tbsp Golden Flax Meal
1 Large Egg
4 tbsp Water
1/4 tsp Light Salt (just a pinch but I couldn't get the calculator to take that)
1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
5 drops Stevia Glycerite
1 tbsp Pure Irish Butter

Directions
Beat egg until smooth with a fork then add everything except the butter.
Let sit while you heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1tsp butter to the skillet and spread in the pan.
When hot, add the batter and cook until it looks set. Flip and cook on the other side for 1 minute. (make 1 large or 2 smaller pancakes)
Remove to plate and top with the remaining butter. (sprinkle with more cinnamon if you like)

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 large pancake(or 2 small ones)
Amount per Serving
Calories 251
Calories from Fat 185.4
Total Fat 20.6g
Saturated Fat 9.6g
Cholesterol 205mg
Sodium 470.05mg
Total Carbohydrate 5.3g
Dietary Fiber 5.05g
Sugars 0.39g
Protein 8.7g

Dottie 06-26-2011 01:25 PM

Take the same recipe above and sub out 1.5T coconut flour if you don't use flax. I don't know if baking powder is allowed, but about 1/4tsp would make the coconut one more fluffy.

Dottie 06-28-2011 06:45 AM

I love chicken liver pate and I will make a batch of this up and just eat it by the spoonful when I feel "snacky".

1lb chicken livers, rinsed and trimmed if needed
4T kerrygold or other good quality butter
2T cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
1 rib celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 a small onion, diced (about 1/4 cup diced)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Heat the butter and evoo in a pan and saute the onion, celery and garlic for a few minutes just to soften, then add the livers and cook until they're cooked through, turning once or twice as needed.
Put everything except the parsley in a food processor and pulse until it's the consistency you like (I prefer smooth) then add the parsley and pulse a few times to blend it in.
Refrigerate at least an hour for the flavors to develop before eating (I try to refrigerate it over night but sometimes I can't leave it alone that long).

Dottie 07-04-2011 04:06 AM

Easy Paleo Mayonnaise

I use an immersion blender with the whisk attachment for this. Could not be easier!

In a deep glass or other container drop in:
2 egg yolks
a big pinch of salt
2tsp lemon juice
about a teaspoon of mustard
2-3 drops stevia glycerite(equal to about 1/2tsp sweetness - optional! This amount of stevia does not make it sweet, it just balances out the flavors)

Just barely melt:
1/2 cup coconut oil with 1/2 cup light olive oil and 3T cold pressed flax oil (optional - use 3T more light olive oil if you don't want the flax). You don't want this hot, you just want the coconut oil liquid.

Very slowly, with the blender running, drizzle in the oil mixture. As it starts to blend in and thicken, you can add the oil a bit faster.
IF this blend is too thick when you've added all the oil, add water by the tablespoon until it's at the thickness you like.
Refrigerate for an hour or 2 before using to allow the flavors to develop.

Dottie 07-05-2011 04:44 AM

Kale chips are pretty basic and easy, and tasty!

Clean a bunch of kale and tear (or cut) into bite size pieces. Lay out on a cookie sheet in a single layer and spritz with olive oil (I use a misto pump mister), then a light sprinkle of sea salt.
Bake in a pre-heated 350f oven for 10-12 minutes, start checking at 8 minutes, you want them to stay deep green and not turn brown.

Dottie 07-07-2011 06:45 AM

egg-tilla
Easy to make and they store for a couple of days well. They're sturdier the after a day in the fridge.

For 2 egg-tillas:
2 large eggs
1T coconut flour
2-3T water (as needed)
big pinch of salt
1/4 cup chopped, cooked and drained spinach or herbs (optional but nice)
coconut oil or butter for pan

Beat the eggs until smooth then add 1T water, the salt and coconut flour. Beat until smooth and add the greens if using, and more water as needed to get a thick but spreadable batter.
Heat a medium (8") skillet over medium heat and butter to make it non stick. Spoon 1/2 the batter into the pan and spread it out as evenly as possible. Let cook until set enough to flip, about 2 minutes, then flip and finish cooking.
Place on a rack to cool so air can circulate all around it.
To refrigerate: place a piece of wax paper on a paper towel, lay the egg-tilla on the wax paper and gently roll it up. Do this for each one then place in container or baggie and refrigerate.
Before using after refrigeration: let come to room temperature for 15 minutes to take the chill off so it doesn't crack when unrolling.

Dottie 07-09-2011 05:12 PM

I took this basic recipe: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-biscuit.html

and added 2 slices chopped cooked bacon and 3T shredded sharp cheddar.
So good!

Dottie 07-14-2011 03:46 PM

This was interesting, had a texture similar to polenta.
I had about 3/4 cup leftover mashed cauliflower (just salt and pepper added) so I put 1T coconut oil in a skillet and smashed it down and cooked it until it started to brown just a bit, then I cracked 2 eggs into it and scrambled. Topped w/ a sprinkle of sharp cheddar and a few slivers of cultured butter, then some sliced red cherry peppers(hot).
Was really good, simple and very filling (I only ate about 1/2 lol).

Dottie 07-16-2011 11:53 AM

I made this for dinner today, simple, easy and tasty!

4oz lean eye of round steak cut into bite size pieces
2 roma tomatoes, chopped roughly
4 large white mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic (or 2 or 3 ) sliced
1tsp chopped jalapeno, red hot cherry pepper, or heat source of your choice
1tsp coconut oil
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil very hot in a skillet and add the tomato and mushroom. Let cook 5 minutes, stir frying constantly until the tomato starts to break down. Add the pepper and garlic, cook 1 minute then add the meat and stir fry until cooked through.

Dottie 07-16-2011 02:19 PM

Strawberry ice cream (sort of)

1/2 cup coconut milk (I used aroy-d)
5-6 frozen strawberries
stevia to taste

Chill coconut milk until it's slushy, almost frozen. Thaw strawberries slightly so they don't break your food processor or blender. Put everything in and pulse until well blended and smooth. Freeze for 15 minutes, if needed, to get it back to a semi-soft serve consistency.

*Another note playing with this recipe: full fat coconut milk whips up very similar to whipping cream. You could puree the strawberries and fold them into the whipped coconut milk for a fluffier texture.

sadie_adriana 07-19-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 14794308)
Easy Paleo Mayonnaise

I use an immersion blender with the whisk attachment for this. Could not be easier!

2 egg yolks
a big pinch of salt
2tsp lemon juice
2-3 drops stevia glycerite(equal to about 1/2tsp sweetness - optional! This amount of stevia does not make it sweet, it just balances out the flavors)

Just barely melt:
1/2 cup coconut oil with 1/2 cup light olive oil and 3T cold pressed flax oil (optional - use 3T more light olive oil if you don't want the flax). You don't want this hot, you just want the coconut oil liquid.

Very slowly, with the blender running, drizzle in the oil mixture. As it starts to blend in and thicken, you can add the oil a bit faster.
IF this blend is too thick when you've added all the oil, add water by the tablespoon until it's at the thickness you like.

Dottie, I want to make this mayo, I dont have the stevia or flax oil, two questions, do the eggs need to be room temp?, think it will taste okay without the two ingredients?
Thanks in advance

Dottie 07-19-2011 04:58 PM

I just use the eggs out of the refrigerator so I don't think it really matters:)
yes you can leave the flax and stevia out. The flax oil was for the omegas, and the stevia just kind of gives it a slightly sweet taste, but that's my personal taste :)
One thing I did with today's batch that I made, after I made the mayo I added 1/2 an avocado and a little finely minced jalapeno to it and pureed it together. Really good!

QueenBacon 07-19-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 14841207)
I just use the eggs out of the refrigerator so I don't think it really matters:)
yes you can leave the flax and stevia out. The flax oil was for the omegas, and the stevia just kind of gives it a slightly sweet taste, but that's my personal taste :)
One thing I did with today's batch that I made, after I made the mayo I added 1/2 an avocado and a little finely minced jalapeno to it and pureed it together. Really good!

YUM!!!!!!!

sadie_adriana 07-20-2011 01:05 AM

Thanks Dottie, I will make it with what I have, the avocodo and jalapeno sound so good with it!! I love those little red 'Fresno' chiles also.

Dottie 07-20-2011 07:16 AM

There's a pepper that grows in New Mexico (I think) called the Mira Sol. It has a spicy but earthy flavor. I ordered some dried ones online a long time ago and they are excellent. I'd love to grow some as a change of pace from jalapenos and serranos :)

Dottie 07-21-2011 07:17 AM

Coconut milk tip:
Coconut milk (the real stuff, not "beverage") freezes very well but it doesn't thaw and re-freeze well at all. So freeze it in an ice cube tray then pop them into a baggie so you can take out a small portion as you need it.

Dottie 07-21-2011 10:56 AM

This is an Atkins friendly recipe that would be great on paleo as well, and it's refreshing and light -great for summer!

Lemon Zucchini Salad
1 med zucchini, use a veggie peeler and make it into strips
juice of 1 lemon
1tsp good quality olive oil (can use more)
2tsp parmesan cheese (though I think feta would also work because of the lemon/olive oil dressing)
salt and pepper to taste

Just toss everything and chill.

sadie_adriana 07-21-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Easy Paleo Mayonnaise

2 egg yolks
a big pinch of salt
2tsp lemon juice

Just barely melt:

Dottie, I just had the chance to make this mayo, sans flax oil and stevia.
flavor-AMAZING!!
I have made a ton (really) of homemade mayo recipes from different paleo blogs etc. for some reason, this is that good. I think it's the coconut oil.
I'm saving out a small bit, to add avocado and jalapeno for some lettuce roll ups.
Huge thanks for sharing this recipe!

Dottie 07-21-2011 02:55 PM

I think it's the "no chemicals" that make it taste so good!:)

sadie_adriana 07-21-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 14847023)
I think it's the "no chemicals" that make it taste so good!:)

Def right about that!!

QueenBacon 07-24-2011 02:00 PM

Zuccini and squash fried then in a bowl toss with onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, and a little parm cheese... O m g num yummy

Dottie 07-26-2011 09:12 AM

Paleo Club sancwich

1 recipe: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-biscuit.html microwaved in a 3 or 4" square container, cooled then cut in half across the equator to make 2 slices of bread then toasted lightly (if you make this the day before and refrigerate it, it's much firmer)

2T paleo style mayo (this thread) or your mayo of choice (I like it with jalapeno to kick up the flavor)
3oz roast turkey breast sliced thin
3oz roast beef sliced very thin or ham
1/4 an avocado, peeled and sliced thin
2 slices crisply fried bacon
2 romaine lettuce leaves, chopped big
2-3 rings red onion
thin sliced roma tomato
1tsp vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Mix 1T mayo with the vinegar, salt and pepper and toss with the lettuce, tomato and onion. Set aside a minute while you assemble the rest.
Spread remaining mayo on both slices of bread then layer the avocado, bacon, turkey and beef or ham, then pile the lettuce mixture on top. Top with the bread and enjoy.

This is a hearty sandwich and comes in around 600 calories with lots of heart healthy fats and protein to keep you satisfied for hours.

Dottie 07-27-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Easy Paleo Mayonnaise

2 egg yolks
a big pinch of salt
2tsp lemon juice

Just barely melt:

I made a batch of the mayo this morning and, instead of scraping the mixing container clean, I added 2T vinegar, 2tsp brown mustard, a big pinch of salt, a little garlic powder and blended that (making sure to get the mayo left in the jar into it!)then drizzled in 1/3 cup olive oil to emulsify and finally 1/4 cup water to thin. Made the perfect paleo creamy italian salad dressing :) There was probably 1.5T of the mayo left in the container.

fourstubbs 08-03-2011 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 14827200)
This was interesting, had a texture similar to polenta.
I had about 3/4 cup leftover mashed cauliflower (just salt and pepper added) so I put 1T coconut oil in a skillet and smashed it down and cooked it until it started to brown just a bit, then I cracked 2 eggs into it and scrambled. Topped w/ a sprinkle of sharp cheddar and a few slivers of cultured butter, then some sliced red cherry peppers(hot).
Was really good, simple and very filling (I only ate about 1/2 lol).

Dottie: what a great recipe! I miss polenta... :)

fourstubbs 08-03-2011 03:08 AM

Made this for dinner tonight: I sauteed some zucchini in some coconut oil and a tad bit of butter..added garlic, onion powder and salt...just until slightly caramelized and still had a bit of a crunch to it, the I put it in a plate, added some steak umms to the pan, sauteed and seasoned pretty much the same, then when they were done, I put the zucchini back in the pan ... It was really good.

Hope you don't mind me posting here...I was passing through... :)

Dottie 08-03-2011 07:13 AM

Guilt-free paleo breakfast sausage

2 lb ground pork
2 T finely minced onion
1/2 tsp each: ground cumin, garlic powder, ground ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp rubbed or ground sage (optional but I like the taste)
2 T finely chopped parsley or 1 tsp dried (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste (I add more pepper and less salt than I think it needs because I like it peppery)

Mix everything together and form into patties. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor. You can pan fry it (about 8 minutes per side) or freeze it for later use.

I'm sure there's some sort of natural maple flavoring that can be added if you like maple sausage. Pure maple syrup maybe?
I am going to try this half ground pork and half ground turkey too.

Dottie 08-03-2011 03:27 PM

BLT Omelet
:doh: So easy

2 large eggs well beaten with salt and pepper
2 slices bacon
fat from bacon
1 tomato, diced
1 cup sliced or chopped romaine

Chop bacon and fry in a non-stick skillet until crisp. Add the tomatoes in and, if needed add a little coconut or olive oil. Stir and fry until tomatoes start to break down then add the romaine in and quickly wilt. Remove from pan, leaving a skim of fat for the eggs.
Cook the eggs as you would for an omelet, adding the bacon, lettuce and tomato as the filling (or just scramble it all together lol).
Topping with cheese it up to you:)

QueenBacon 08-03-2011 06:04 PM

Habanero Eggs

I made this tonight and it was soooooooooooooooooo good... I got to use my left over home made tomato sauce, and the onions and peppers I got from the clearence produce..

1 TBS Vinegar
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 cup onion
1/2 bell pepper
8 eggs
1/4 cup oil

Place onion garlic bell pepper oil vinegar and black pepper in pan and fry off for about 5 minutes. add tomato sauce and cook for another 5 minutes. Crack eggs in a greased baking dish (I actually took the stuff out of the frying pan I used put the eggs in there and covered and put in oven) put tomato mixture over eggs. bake in preheated oven at 300F for 10 minutes. Add red pepper flakes if you like spicy flavoring!