Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I just posted a recipe for Oven-fried Chicken Livers on the main recipe forums, if anyone here is interested. they came out quite good! http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...en-livers.html
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Raspberry Ribbon Mini Cheesecakes

Now that I’m not eating dairy, I tried my hand at a non-dairy cheesecake. This was adapted from a Blueberry Cardamom Cheesecake recipe at LifeIsStillSweet blog. Unlike her Blueberry dessert, I put no cardamom or lemon juice in my raspberry version. I also added some almond flour to the middle layer, and I changed up the sweeteners, as honey and dates are just too high in carbs for me to use as much of these as the original recipe calls for. I also decided to use coconut cream rather than coconut milk, as I find it richer. This is still quite high in carbs and calories, even with my sweetener changes, so this special treat will be reserved for holidays and special occasions. This recipe is suitable for the OWL phase of Atkins. Primal/Paleo folks will likely want to use the honey in the fillings and dates in the crust called for in the inspirational recipe, in lieu of the sweeteners I used below. I used 4 3/4" mini non-stick springform pans. This dessert is a great way to increase your coconut oil intake, if you are striving to do that.

CRUST:

½ c. pecans, chopped
½ c. walnuts, chopped
3 T. erythritol (granular)
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 T. coconut oil

BOTTOM VANILLA LAYER:

1 c. raw cashew nuts, soaked in water for 2 hours
¼ c. almond flour
6-8 drops liquid stevia extract (I use NOW brand)
2 T. coconut oil
¼ c. coconut cream
1½ tsp. vanilla

TOP LAYER:

3/4 c. fresh raspberries
¼ c. coconut cream
2 T. coconut oil
6-8 drops liquid stevia extract

DIRECTIONS: Soak cashews for 2 hours in water to soften them and set aside for now.

Measure all crust ingredients into a food processor and pulse to blend into a “dough”. Press half the crust into the bottom of two greased or non-stick mini cheesecake springform pans. Chill crusts while you wait on the cashews to soften. Wash processor parts.

Drain water off cashews and place them in food processor bowl. Measure all other vanilla filling ingredients into the bowl except sweetener. Pulse until completely smooth and add sweetener slowly, pulse and taste to get it as sweet as you like. Brands of sweetener vary greatly. Spoon half the mixture onto each chilled crust and spread top even. Chill while you make the raspberry top layer. Wash processor parts.

Place berries in processor bowl. Add coconut oil and cream and pulse to puree. Add sweetener slowly again, tasting as you add between pulses, until you get the proper amount for your taste. If your berries are real sweet, you may want less sweetener; you may need more if they are tart. Spread half the fruit mixture evenly on top of each cheesecake, trying not to disturb the vanilla layer. Optional garnish can be a single berry in the center or a sprig of mint.

Chill for 2 hours. Each mini cheesecake serves two people. You can also make this ahead, freeze and defrost a short while before serving.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 mini cheesecakes. Serving= ½ cheesecake. Each serving contains:

636 calories
63.7 g fat
20.15 g carbs, 6.0 g fiber, 14.15 g NET CARBS
11.75 g protein
22 mg sodium
390 mg potassium
18% Vitamin B6, 133% copper, 44% magnesium, 103% manganese, 43% phosphorous, 15% selenium, 27% thiamin, 40% zinc
Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Yum. Too high in calories for me but I could just eat 1/4 of one.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Iranian Gormeh Sabzi (Stewed Herbs/Greens)

This dish is traditionally just the herbs/greens and lentils/beans. But I like to add meat to the dish and make it more like a meat curry or serve it with grilled kebab, beef or lamb:

I’ve mentioned before that I lived in Iran between the ages of 10-12. One of my fond memories of Iran is the wonderful evening aroma of a national dish known as Gormeh Sabzi. Gormeh means stew; sabzi means herbs. It is basically a variety of greens and herbs stewed down with a few beans or lentils and then it is served over Iranian rice (their rice is is the most unique in the world to me). Not a very photographic dish, to say the least, (Google and you'll see what I mean) but a very tasty dish! My first time to taste this dish was when our maid, Fatimeh, invited my brother and I to her daughter’s wedding. I learned it tasted even better than it had always smelled when we would walk down the streets at meal time. I could just never get past the unappealing “look” of the dish. I finally tasted it at the wedding. The fenugreek is what makes this dish so unique for me. I order my ground fenugreek from Penzey’s spices; buy my fenugreek leaves at a Middle Eastern deli/importer in Austin.

Happily, years later, but before the advent of the Internet, I discovered the recipe I sought to duplicate was included in the 1960 Officer’s Wives’ Club recipe/calendar booklet my mother brought back to the States and that recipe is adapted below. The spices are correct as they appeared in the original recipe, but the additions of the meat, the dried mango and use of coconut milk for the traditional yogurt are mine and mine alone. It is NOT traditionally served with fruit or meat in it. I might add the two ingredients bring much flavor to this wonderful herb dish. Omitting the meat and cooking the greens in the basic sauce will result in a wonderful side dish to serve with kebab or roasted/grilled lamb, if you prefer to make it the traditional way. Low carbers could even add a drained 1/2 can of soy black beans to the simmering greens. for a more authentic side dish. Without the meat, this makes an excellent vegetarian main dish.

I cook the sauce/stew in one pan and saute the greens separately in another, serving the meat stew atop the sauteed greens when ready to plate at the table. I find that approach visually more acceptable. You can, however, stew the chopped greens right in with the meat if you want it to look more traditional.

This dish, with all the greens, is quite carb-y, but the nutritional info is so impressive, who cares? I actually made the above-pictured batch with pork, because I had some thawed tonight. But pork would never be eaten in Iran. It is referred to as “unclean meat” in the Koran. They would use either young lamb or beef if they added meat to this. If you can’t find dried mango, you can sub in dried prunes, cherries, apricots or raisins, provided they are the type with no added sugar. I can get all of these at my local Natural Grocers.

This dish is suitable for any phase of Atkins and for Paleo-Primal diners as well. Vegetarians will enjoy the meatless version as a main dish.

For the MARINADE:

16 oz. lean lamb (or beef) cut into 1-1½” pieces
½ c. coconut milk
1 tsp. each ground coriander, ground cumin, ground fenugreek seed
1 T. dried fenugreek leaves (available at Middle Eastern Grocers)
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper

For the meat STEW:

4 T. clarified butter or olive oil
5 oz. onion, sliced
2 tsp. ginger root, peeled and minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. homemade chicken or beef broth
1 cinnamon stick
6 each cardamom pods and whole cloves
2 bay leaves, whole
Pinch sea salt
1 oz. dried mango, cut into strips (the kind with no added sugar)

To prepare the SABZI (greens):

1 T. olive oil
2 c. spinach leaves, chopped
1 c. kale leaves, chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 c. parsley, chopped
1 c. leeks or green onion, chopped (optional & not included in stats below)

DIRECTIONS: Marinate meat in coconut milk mixture for 1 hour covered in the refrigerator. When ready to prepare meal, heat butter in large skillet. Add onion and saute until nearly tender. Add ginger and garlic. Spoon meat and all the meat marinade into the pan and saute a few minutes. Add all remaining listed stew ingredients. If cooking the greens with the meat, add them to meat pan now. Otherwise, lower heat and simmer the meat mixture for about 20-30 minutes, tightly covered. Stir once or twice during cooking to blend spices throughout sauce. When the dried mango (or whatever dried fruit you are using) has plumped/softened and the meat is done, you can, if desired, thicken the liquid with a pinch of your favorite thickener (I used a pinch of arrowroot powder). Heat 1 T. olive oilover medium-high heat in a separate non-stick pan if doing greens separately. Place greens in the hot oil and saute 4-5 minutes or until they are thoroughly wilted. Serve stew atop a bed of the sauteed greens. You either want to try to remove the cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaves and cardamom pods before serving or caution your guests not to eat them. They are not pleasant to bite into.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings, each contains:

447 calories
29.9 g fat
16.75 g carbs, 4.15 g fiber, 12.6 g NET CARBS
29.25 g protein
139 mg sodium
818 mg potassium
66% Vitamin A, 30% B6, 108% B12, 75% C, 16% E, 10% calcium, 50% copper, 72% iron, 25% magnesium, 46% manganese, 72% niacin, 40% phosphorous, 53% riboflavin, 11% selenium, 28% thiamin, 45% zinc
Old 10-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Swai with 8-Seed Spice Crust

This is easy and very tasty! See post #11 in this discussion for details on this tasty baked fish: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ice-blend.html
Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

New England Boiled Beef

Just posted this classic dish tonight in the regular recipe forums. It's Paleo suitable so I'll cross-post it here, too: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16022772
Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Asutuk ( eskimo ice cream )

Seems like the eskimos also had a frozen desert and no I havent tried it.

2 cups seal oil

1 to 1.5 LB reindeer fat

1 bowl loose snow ( didn't say how large a bowl )

berries of your choice quanity up to you

Warm the reindeer fat just to melt it and mix in the seal oil.

When this has cooled off mix it in to the snow and sort of whip it up
some, mix in the berries and freeze.

If you try it let me know if it's ok. I don't do paleio but you notice it's
kind of paleio with no sugar or artificial sweetners !
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #128
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pammiedoodle01
Stats: 287/209/150
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: January 2012
I love this thread. Today I have Pizza chicken in the crockpot and it smells divine.

4 boneless chicken breasts
1 onion chopped in lg pieces
2 bell peppers chopped in lg pieces
salt pepper
itallian seasonings
2 cups pizza/spaghetti sauce
pepperroni
mushrooms
black olives
anchovies (optional)

I threw it all together in the pot and put it on low and will let it cook 4-6 hrs.
pammiedoodle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
Seems like the eskimos also had a frozen desert and no I havent tried it.

2 cups seal oil

1 to 1.5 LB reindeer fat

1 bowl loose snow ( didn't say how large a bowl )

berries of your choice quanity up to you

Warm the reindeer fat just to melt it and mix in the seal oil.

When this has cooled off mix it in to the snow and sort of whip it up
some, mix in the berries and freeze.

If you try it let me know if it's ok. I don't do paleio but you notice it's
kind of paleio with no sugar or artificial sweetners !
Just wondering where one might find seal oil?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tex-Mex Beef Bone Broth Soup

Bone broth is so very good for you! I make it, freeze it and use it at every opportunity in my cooking. I like to collect my grass-fed beef bones in a large plastic bag in the freezer. When I have a big batch, I make a batch of rich bone broth. I happened to have 1½ quarts of made-up broth in my freezer today and decided it was a good day for soup for lunch. I didn’t add too much to the stock really…just a few vegetables and some leftover grass-fed brisket that was also in the freezer. I tossed in a couple things to spice it up a bit and VOILA! A delicious, hearty, nutrient-dense soup for a chilly winter day.

INGREDIENTS:

1½ qts. (6 cups) beef bone broth
1 c. rich, beef gravy (I used some I had leftover chuck roast pan drippings)
8 oz. cooked grass-fed beef chuck or brisket, diced (I used brisket)
½ c. Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
1 c. diced tomatoes (I used no-salt canned)
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 small carrots, chopped
4 T. my chimichurri sauce: (or 2 T. each fresh parsley, cilantro and minced jalapeno pepper)
½ tsp. blend of your favorite chili powder blend (I used a blend of smoky chipotle, guajillo and ancho)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Dash each salt and coarse black pepper

DIRECTIONS: Place all ingredients in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for at least 1 hour to cook vegetables tender and to blend the flavors together. Serve with your favorite low-carb crackers. I served mine with my new Almond-Arrowroot Crackers.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 6 large bowls (about 1-1¼c. each). Each serving contains:

228 calories
14.5 g fat
6.01 g carbs, 1.61 g fiber, 4.4 g NET CARBS
16.4 g protein
262 mg sodium
199 mg potassium
23% RDA Vitamin A, 13% B6, 127% B12, 9% C, 7% calcium, 14% copper, 52% iron, 5% magnesium, 37% manganese, 42% niacin, 21% phosphorous, 25% riboflavin, 38% selenium, 5% thiamin, 62% zinc
Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #131
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Not a recipe, but a new cookbook that I picked up and was impressed with.

Interesting cookbook: The Ancestral Table by Russ Crandall

First: yes, it's considered a Paleo book.
However: he does use rice, potatoes and dairy, so it's very doable for most plans.

Second: I'd say half of the recipes I've looked at are "you don't need to be a professional chef to do this" type. Some are fairly complicated or take time, but for the most part, the ones I've looked at are fairly simple.

Third: easy to find ingredients. Of course he suggests the usual "hormone and antibiotic free, organic, free range, no crapola additives" stuff, but there's also a heavy lean towards "whatever is in your budget".

Fourth: while not a necessity, the book is beautifully photographed. I'm an "eye eater" so this has a big effect on if I'm going to try a recipe or not

Now he does use things like tapioca starch, potato starch, rice noodles, honey, etc. So many of the recipes are not uber low-carb, but there's a lot of potential (subbing shirataki noodles, stevia, glucomannan, etc).

Anyway, if you're in the mood for a new cookbook, I really like this one (enough to post about it lol).

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:56 AM   #132
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
The 21 day sugar cook book is good for low carb paleo recipes too!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
I picked up Michelle Tam's Nom Nom Paleo & Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed (and she also has Well Fed 2, but I couldn't find that one).

They have such amazing Paleo recipes, and tips & tricks for the kitchen. Worth checking out!
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KyliesMom
Stats: 180/185/135
WOE: Atkins with eventual trans to Paleo
Start Date: 7/23/14
Miss cereal? Try this from eat drink paleo
Paleo Granola With Oven-dried Strawberries

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups raw almonds
2 cups macadamia nuts
1 1/2 cup coconut flakes
10 medium strawberries
6 dried apricots
2/3 cup dried cranberries
2/3 cup dried Goji berries
2/3 cup Chia seeds

Instructions
First you have to prepare oven-dried strawberries and this will take the longest amount of time. The good thing is that you can occupy yourself with other errands or reading a book while they’re baking. Wash and pat dry strawberries and slice lengthwise. You should get about 5-6 slices from each strawberry. Turn the oven to the lowest heat setting, about 75C. Spread strawberry slices on a rack or a tray that has holes to let the hot air circulate under the berries. Oven dry/bake for 2-3 hours. At around 2 hour mark, I carefully peeled and turned the strawberry slices over.

Once you remove strawberries from the oven to cool, turn the heat up to 150C. Scatter almonds and macadamia nuts in a large baking tray and roast for 10 minutes, giving them a stir every 1-2 minutes. You’re after golden brown colour and a nice toasted smell. Watch the nuts towards the end of the roasting period as they will need more frequent stirring.

Remove nuts to a bowl and let them cool. In the same baking tray, scatter coconut flakes and roast for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. As with the nuts, keep an eye on them and stir half way through.

Place almonds and macadamia nuts in a food processor and grind into small chunks/crumbs.

Finally dice dried apricots. Mix nuts, coconut flakes, and apricots with strawberries and the rest of ingredients and let the mixture cool down completely before storing in an air-tight jar or container. It should keep for a few weeks, although you might end up eating it much quicker.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KyliesMom
Stats: 180/185/135
WOE: Atkins with eventual trans to Paleo
Start Date: 7/23/14
Paleo nachos with sweet potato chips

Ingredients
Sweet potato chips
1 large sweet potato
2 tbsp macadamia oil or coconut oil
sea salt
Spicy beef
1 medium brown onion, finely diced
1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
1 long red chilli, diced
300-400 g ground beef/beef mince
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (regular is also fine)
1/2 regular paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes or tomato passata
2/3 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Tomato salsa
2 medium tomatoes, diced, seeds out
2 tbsp chopped green onion
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
1/2 tsp chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
1-2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
Guacamole
1 avocado, mashed with a fork
1 small garlic clove, finely diced or grated
1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp sea salt
black pepper
1 cup of Paleo Cheese Sauce ** recipe below

Instructions
Sweet potato chips - If making sweet potato chips, preheat oven to 170 C/338 F. Slice the sweet potato as thin as you can. Use a mandolin slicer or a slicer setting on a food processor if you like. Toss potato slices in macadamia or coconut oil, use your hands to separate the slices so as many get covered in oil as possible. Place parchment/baking paper on two flat roasting trays and place potato slices in a single layer, overlapping each other slightly if needed. Bake at 170 C for 20-25 minutes and then turn the chips over. Bake for another 20 minutes or even longer if you want them very crunchy.

Spicy beef - Heat ghee or coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and chilli and sauté for 5 minutes, until golden. Add the beef and bring the heat to high. Cook and stir with a spatula for 5 minutes, separating the pieces along the way. Then add the rest of ingredients, stir and bring to boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, with a lid on, stirring regularly.

Cheese sauce - In the meantime prepare the cheese sauce according to this recipe. - recipe below

Tomato salsa & guacamole - Combine salsa ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Prepare the guacamole and set aside.

Finally, assemble the nachos in the following order. Place the beef in the middle of a large, deep platter. Make a well in the middle and push the beef outwards. Add tomato salsa around the beef and place the chips on the edges of the platter. Place dollops of guacamole on the beef and pour the cheese sauce in the well of the middle of the platter.

Paleo Cheese Sauce:

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup macadamia oil or olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp tapioca flour (arrowroot flour)
1/4 cup savoury/nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbsp white miso (shiro)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 small garlic clove, finely diced
sea salt
1/2 cup almond meal

Instructions
Add chicken stock, oil and tapioca flour to a small heavy bottom saucepan. Whisk together until well combined and tapioca is dissolved, more or less. Then bring mixture to boil and remove from the heat.Whisk again, it should thicken quite a bit.

Now add the yeast flakes, miso, nutritional yeast flakes, miso, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder and pinch of salt. Whisk everything together and then add the almond meal. Whisk again until well combined. Place the saucepan back on the heat and stir for about 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Make sure to stir a lot to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom. If you want a thinner sauce, skip the last 2 minutes of stirring over the heat and if you wanted it thicker, stir for a little bit longer.
KyliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #136
Administrator

Sort of Harissa, sort of not
I had some dried thai chilis and figured I'd make something with them.
Warning: this was diabolically hot! I had to temper my original recipe by adding some organic crushed tomatoes and roasted red bell pepper (hence the "sort of not" in the title).
My additions to temper the heat have a *** by them, so taste before adding and see if you need it.

2oz dried chilis (the little ones you would see in Chinese food), pop the caps off but leave the seeds (or not- very very very hot if you leave them in)
2 cloves garlic
1/2tsp sea salt
1tsp corriander seed
1tsp ground cumin (I didn't have any seed)
1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
1T lemon juice
1T vinegar
3T good olive oil
2 roasted red bell peppers*** (drained if in jars)
1/2 cup strained or crushed organic tomatoes***

Soak the chilis in boiling water for 20-30 minutes until they're rehydrated.
Seed them if you want to. (If you use bigger chilis, you can easily snip the stem off and shake the seeds out before soaking, Just give them a smack against the counter before snipping the stem).
Drain(reserve the soaking liquid) and add the chilis and everything else*** to the food processor and process until smooth.
Taste.
If it's screamingly hot, add the tomatoes and process again.
Taste.
If it's still too hot, add the peppers and process.
At this point, adding more of the tomatoes or peppers is up to your taste buds.
Thin with the soaking liquid if needed.
Refrigerate in a glass jar. If it has a metal lid, make sure the sauce isn't touching the lid.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #137
Administrator

The "Deconstructed Samosa (Spiced Keema)" on nomnompaleo is really easy and very, very good
Old 04-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #138
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mirihawk
Stats: 265/258/150
WOE: Paleo-ish Cavewoman
Start Date: April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
I picked up Michelle Tam's Nom Nom Paleo & Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed (and she also has Well Fed 2, but I couldn't find that one).

They have such amazing Paleo recipes, and tips & tricks for the kitchen. Worth checking out!
These are my favorites!!
mirihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #139
Administrator

With the Parmesan this is Primal.
Without it, it's paleo

Dottie's "not your momma's caesar" salad dressing

Ingredients

1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp mustard
4 filets Anchovies (Rolled Fillets)***
2 tbsp Lemon Juice Raw
2 oz Haas Avocado (this was the flesh of 1 small avocado for me)
6 oz Macadamia Nut Oil
1 clove garlic
3 tbsp Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Directions

I make this using an immersion blender.
Real parmesan, not the green stuff.
Can use olive oil, I had plenty of macadamia oil on hand.

Place everything except the oil in a suitable blending cup and blend for 10 seconds to puree.
Leave the blender in the cup and pour the oil in, then blend until smooth.
Add cracked black pepper and salt to taste, blend again.
Keep in a covered jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

** If it's too thick for your taste, add a little water and blend again.
***If you like anchovies, add the olive oil from the anchovy tin to the dressing with the other oil

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 tbsp
Amount per Serving
Calories 51
Calories from Fat 49.9

Total Fat 5.54g
Saturated Fat 0.9g
Cholesterol 7.02mg
Sodium 26.62mg
Total Carbohydrate 0.32g
Dietary Fiber 0.12g
Sugars 0.02g
Protein 0.34g
Old 04-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
Thank you for this! My mother used to make a green goddess dressing that was to die for, and low carbing that would be really easy! You reminded me with the anchovies.
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #141
Administrator

I love anchovies. Cooking them down with some olive oil and garlic, then cooking veggies in it - so good
Old 04-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #142
Administrator

Primal MIM Biscuit

Ingredients

1 tbsp Coconut Flour
1 tbsp Arrowroot Starch/Flour (you can use tapioca flour, not sure about other substitutes)
1 tbsp Almond Flour
1/4 tsp Baking Powder Double Acting
Pinch of sea salt
1 Large Egg
2 drops Stevia Glycerite
1 tsp Coconut Oil
3 tbsp water **

Directions

Spray a 4" round glass microwave safe cup/bowl lightly with cooking spray.
Mix egg, stevia and water.
Add the dry ingredients and beat with a fork until smooth.
**Add more water if needed to make a very thick, batter, almost dough like but not "dry".
Spoon into prepared dish and tap lightly to settle.
Microwave for 2 minutes or until the center is no longer "wet".
Run a knife around the edge then flip onto a rack to cool (so it doesn't get steamed/soggy on bottom).

Variations:
1. Add 1T freeze dried blueberries to the water, let them rehydrate for 5 minutes and increase the stevia by a few drops before continuing the recipe as normal.

2. Added 2T shredded sharp cheddar cheese, a pinch of garlic powder and a pinch of dried parsley to the dry ingredients.

3. Add 2T shredded pepper jack and 1tsp minced jalapeno to the wet ingredients.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 mim biscuit
Amount per Serving
Calories 250
Calories from Fat 149.1
Total Fat 16.57g
Saturated Fat 2.21g
Cholesterol 175mg
Sodium 203.74mg
Total Carbohydrate 15.57g
Dietary Fiber 5.78g
Sugars 1.4g
Protein 11.12g
Old 04-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #143
Administrator

Paleo Gelatin Snacks

Prep Time: 2 min Serves: 24
Cooking Time: 3 min Yield: 24 pieces

Ingredients

2 envelope Original Unflavored Gelatine (this was about 3 tablespoons)
1 cup Raw Strawberry, quartered
1/2 cup Lemon Juice Raw
1/2 cup water
5 drops stevia (optional)

Directions

Place quartered strawberries, water, lemon juice and sweetener (if using) in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes until strawberries soften.
Carefully puree, add the gelatin and puree again.
pour into a glass 8x8, 9x9 or loaf pan(for thicker ones).
Refrigerate until firm, then cut into pieces.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 pieces
Amount per Serving
Calories 5
Calories from Fat 0.0

Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 1.48mg
Total Carbohydrate 0.87g
Dietary Fiber 0.13g
Sugars 0.41g
Protein 0.56g

I got the idea off a paleo blog, but it called for 1 cup of lemon juice and no sweetener. I love "sour gummies" but this would have been inedible, imo.
Maybe later in strawberry season when they're sweeter.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel2writer
Stats: 260/252/175
WOE: Low carb my own way
Start Date: 3/17/14
Last night I made Tuscan Soup and Caesar Salad, and the whole family loved it!

Tuscan Soup
6 cups chicken broth
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage
1 bunch fresh spinach, washed and chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Brown the sausage with the chopped onion. Add the broth and garlic, bring to a boil. throw in the spinach and cook just until wilted. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream. Season.

Caesar Salad
3 cloves garlic, peeled
3/4 cup mayonnaise (I use my homemade paleo mayo)
5 anchovy fillets, minced (I get anchovy paste in a tube and use 5 teaspoons of it)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (leave it out if you don't do cheese)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
8 cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces

Mix the dressing and toss with lettuce. SO good!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my blog and story of my eating and exercise program here: http://rachelblocksmith.blogspot.com/
rachel2writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
I have been considering High fat , low carb..

Can someone tell me how to make the marrow/bone broth. I have read it would be very beneficial.

Thanks Lizzie
slimlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote