Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Desdemona98
Stats: 154/154/125
WOE: Primal
Start Date: still trying to start...
Lasanga!

So, I don't know if anyone else is as much in love with this food as I am, but I have a few ways to make some popping primal friendly lasanga. If you avoid all dairy though this might not be helpful.

First, if you replace the noodles completely with sliced zuchinni it does taste pretty good.

Other ideas:

Add ground sausage into your hamburger
chop up mushrooms and add into the meat mixture.
I use Nancy's cultured cottage cheese and it's VERY good!

I just make a meat/tomato paste mixture (usually adding whatever spices I have on had at random).. you want at least a lb of meat, maybe 2 depending on how many you are feeding. Brown the meat then add the rest. Put a layer of zucchini in the bottom of the baking dish, layer some meat, a thin layer of cottage cheese, and some shredded cheese of choice. Hopefully you'll have enough meat, cottage cheese, and cheese for a second layer. I used "spaghetti" style zucchini for the second layer.... ie shredded with a potato pealer. I think it was better that way then if I had thicker pieces of zuchinni.

Bake said mess at 350 for at least 30 mins. Make sure you cover it with tin foil so nothing dries out. Mine did have a layer of liquid fat/moisture from zucchini maybe, at the bottom, but not enough to mess up the lasanga. My zucchini was also somewhat soft without being too mushy/loose. You'll probably want to test the firmness or lack of, of the zucchini to test for doneness to your taste.

From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere. Dr. Seuss
Desdemona98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Desdemona98
Stats: 154/154/125
WOE: Primal
Start Date: still trying to start...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
This is a low-calorie paleo recipe Increase cals by using a whole egg, more shrimp and more olive oil for the 'fry' stage

Shrimp "Fried rice"
1 serving
204 calories; 5.5g fat; 9g carbs; 4g fiber; 24g protein

1 large egg white (16 cals)
1 tsp olive oil (33 cals)optional but included in the nutritional info
2T water
3oz shrimp, weigh after peeling and deveining; cut in half (80 cals)
2 cups frozen cauliflower, "rice" by pulsing in a food processor (50 cals)
2tsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce) (10 cals)
1 baby carrot, grated (4 cals)
9 cilantro leaves, chopped (4 cals)
garlic powder, salt, pepper, ground ginger and crushed pepper flakes to taste

Beat the egg white with a little salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a small, non-stick skillet then add the egg, coating the pan as much as possible, then scrambling.
Remove from the pan and add the shrimp and water (If the shrimp is raw), cook on high heat 1 minute then add everything else and stir fry quickly just until heated through and the cauliflower is cooked (maybe 3 minutes).
Stir the egg white back in and serve.

*make this into a big soup by adding 1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth.
Oooooh, this sounds REALLY good!
Desdemona98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Boboelink
Paleo Muffins

Does anyone have a Paleo muffin recipe?
I used to have a great one but can't find it.
It had almond butter base, coconut milk, eggs, some berries or fruit and delicious. Maybe that's all that was in it. ...but am looking for that or similar recipe.
Boboelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #94
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
The paleo comfort foods book has some good looking muffin recepies
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #95
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I'm wondering if I can sub out 1/2 CO for some of the butter in this one....

Coconut Almond Bread

3/4 c coconut flour
1/4 c almond flour
6 eggs
1/2 c melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 T honey (I'm using some honey, some xylitol mixed w/ water to dissolve)
1 T baking powder

mix in food processor, spread into buttered loaf pan. 350 45 min
8 svgs 252 cal 19 fat 13.2 carb 7.8 pro This is if you use all honey instead.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KyliesMom
Stats: 180/180/135
WOE: Atkins with eventual trans to Paleo
Start Date: 6/30/14
Paleo Mayo

Ingredients:
½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ cup Avocado Oil
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
½ Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 egg yolks
1.Combine olive oil and avocado oil in a measuring cup (or other good vessel for controlled pouring).
2. Place lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and egg yolks in food processor or blender. Process until creamy (maybe 15 seconds?).
3. With blender or food processor still, VERY slowly dribble in the oil (think of it taking at least 3 minutes to add in all of the oil). It should stay thick and gradually get lighter and lighter (and look more and more like mayonnaise) as you add the oil.
4. I typically like to pour out my mayonnaise into a bowl and whip it by hand with a whisk at the end just to make sure all the oil is well incorporated (if you have a really good food processor, you probably won’t need to do this). You now have paleo mayo!!!

Ingredients (Ranch Dip):
½ cup Paleo Mayo
2 Tbsp Creamed Coconut diluted into 4 Tbsp hot water, cooled
1 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
½ tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp fresh thyme
¼ tsp Salt
1/8 tsp ground Pepper

1. Add diluted creamed coconut and spices to a small food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Chill in the fridge if there is any residual heat from diluting the creamed coconut.
2. Stir in Paleo Mayo. Enjoy as a salad dressing or veggie dip!

**** recipes from thePaleoMom

Last edited by KyliesMom; 03-27-2012 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Added Ranch Recipe
KyliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Yummy Sweet Potato Hash

2-3 large Sweet Potatoes

2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

½ tsp Garlic

½ tsp Parsley

½ tsp Bell Pepper or Chili Pepper,

½ tsp Onion Powder

½ tsp Lemon Pepper

1/4tsp Chipotle Pepper

Sea Salt and Pepper (to Taste)
Old 04-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Brussel Sprouts and Bacon

Ingredients:
20 Brussel Sprouts washed and halved
10 strips of bacon
4 small shallots thinly and evenly sliced
1 1/2 Tbsp of the bacon drippings
Sea Salt
Black Pepper

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Put brussel sprouts salt pepper and a bit of olive oil in a bowl and toss. Place in baking dish and roast for roughly 15-20 minutes. (until edges are brownish and glassy)
Fry the bacon until crispy. Drain and chop.
Fry shallots in bacon fat until light brown and caramelized.
Toss with roasted brussel sprouts and enjoy!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Prosciutto Wrapped Scallops

Prosciutto Wrapped Scallops

Scallops

Prosciutto (look for a brand that only has pork & salt like Citterio)

Italian Seasoning

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Balsamic Vinegar

1. Preheat your oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with foil.

2. Cut the prosciutto in half lengthwise so you have enough strips of prosciutto for each scallop.

3. Take each scallop and sprinkle lightly with the Italian seasoning and wrap a piece of prosciutto around the outside of the scallop.

4. Place each seasoned and wrapped scallop on the foil lined baking sheet, making sure to leave space in between the scallops so that they cook evenly.

5. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, turning the scallops over when there is 5 minutes left in the cooking time.

6. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and serve.

Yummy!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Sausage Patties

Ingredients:
1 lb ground pork (preferably pastured)
½ tsp Garlic Powder
1 ½ tsp Paprika
1 Tbsp cooking fat (coconut oil)

1. Mix herbs and ground pork in a small bowl. Form four patties.
2. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking fat to skillet. Add sausage patties to skillet.
3. Cook on the first side for approximately 10 minutes, until you can see the meat cooking on the edges and the underneath looks a little browned. Flip.
4. Cook on the second side for 7-8 minutes, or until cooked through.

Enjoy - and a lot less salt than store bought :-)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #101
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Just another tip: If you're going to a Mexican restaurant and are tempted by the chips and salsa, ask if they will bring you some sliced bell peppers, like they cook with the fajitas. Raw peppers make an excellent "chip" for salsa and guacamole (or queso if you're primal).
I think next time we go, after the challenge, I'm going to see if they'll make nachos on peppers instead of on chips! I can see lightly roasted peppers topped with meat, cheese and tomatoes along with guacamole and maybe sour cream (primal because of the dairy)
I'm ALWAYS afraid to ask for the bell peppers! Afraid they are gonna look at me like I"m crazy! I haven't had good luck with special orders.
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Salad dressing was the harding thing for me to give up. I have alot of folks who now request my homemade dressing. It is a bit expensive but once you purchase all the ingredients you can add as you run out. I now just keep a mason jar with dressing on the counter and eat it on big salads everyday.

1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Sesame Oil
1/2 Cup White Wine Vinegar
1/2 Cup Apple Cidar Vinegar
2 TBLS Toasted Sesame Seeds (the toasted brings out alot of flavor. You can purchase them toasted)
1 TBL Poppy seeds
1 full dropper of Sweetleaf Vanilla Stevia

I used the Vanilla Creme Stevia on day cuz I was out of the regular. It does add a very good flavor.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paleo_girlie
all of these recipes look so great!! i am new here so this will be a huge help. i brought these delish and summery mango chicken skewers to a party this weekend!

4 ounces chicken meat
1/2 mango, peeled
1 small bunch basil
1 cup Cherry tomatoes
Chili powder, to taste
Lime wedges

-Cube chicken and mango into similarly-sized pieces
-Arrange basil on serving platter
-Using toothpicks, spear one piece of chicken and one piece of mango
- Place on top of basil
-Scatter tomatoes onto platter
-Finish with chili powder, to taste, and a squeeze of lime
paleo_girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Chicken al Pesto

I whipped this up for lunch today and it was REAL good. I did it on stir-fried cabbage, but you could put it atop other things if you prefer:

Today’s lunch was a quick (under 10 minutes if using already cooked chicken), easy, and delightful surprise! It was sort of a cross between a curry and an Alfreddo dish. Very delicious! This could also be served atop cooked cauliflower, zucchini noodles, lightly stir-fried cabbage, like I did (which turned out to be a very good choice for this dish), or if you eat them, I think it would be very good on shirataki tofu noodles. This dish would be suitable for Atkins Induction or for Paleo eating. I used red palm oil to saute my chicken in, thus it gave it the distinctive yellow color you see in the pic. If you use olive oil or coconut oil, the sauce will be white.

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. skinless chicken breast
1 T. red palm oil (or oil of your choice)
Dash crushed red pepper
2 T. pesto sauce (I make mine homemade)
½ c. coconut milk
¼-½ water (or chicken stock if you prefer)
Dash sea salt

DIRECTIONS: Cut up chicken into bite sized pieces. I actually used a baked leftover chicken breast. In a heated non-stick skillet, saute the chicken in the oil until it begins to brown and is fully done. Add the crushed red pepper and pesto sauce. Lower heat. Add the coconut milk, just enough water to achieve the thickness you like and the dash of salt. Simmer on low while you prepare the sauteed cabbage or whatever you plant to serve this on. If it gets too thick, thin with a little more water stirred in. Serve atop your vegetable or “noodle” substitute of choice.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 servings, each contains (not including the cabbage or base you decide to serve this on)

520 calories
40 g fat
5.1 g carbs, 2.1 g fiber, 3.0 g NET CARBS
37 g protein
543 mg sodium
445 mg potassium
46% RDA Vitamin B6, 15% B12, 10% E, 30% copper, 31% iron, 19% magnesium, 41% manganese, 113% niacin, 48% phosphorous, 11% riboflavin, 64% selenium, 9% thiamin and 20% zinc

NOTE: This sauce was so good on the cabbage, I'm thinking about trying it without the chicken some time as a vegetable side dish only!

Last edited by buttoni; 08-18-2012 at 11:06 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: atcgirl42
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I whipped this up for lunch today and it was REAL good. I did it on stir-fried cabbage, but you could put it atop other things if you prefer:

Today’s lunch was a quick (under 10 minutes if using already cooked chicken), easy, and delightful surprise! It was sort of a cross between a curry and an Alfreddo dish. Very delicious! This could also be served atop cooked cauliflower, zucchini noodles, lightly stir-fried cabbage, like I did (which turned out to be a very good choice for this dish), or if you eat them, I think it would be very good on shirataki tofu noodles. This dish would be suitable for Atkins Induction or for Paleo eating. I used red palm oil to saute my chicken in, thus it gave it the distinctive yellow color you see in the pic. If you use olive oil or coconut oil, the sauce will be white.

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. skinless chicken breast
1 T. red palm oil (or oil of your choice)
Dash crushed red pepper
2 T. pesto sauce (I make mine homemade)
½ c. coconut milk
¼-½ water (or chicken stock if you prefer)
Dash sea salt

DIRECTIONS: Cut up chicken into bite sized pieces. I actually used a baked leftover chicken breast. In a heated non-stick skillet, saute the chicken in the oil until it begins to brown and is fully done. Add the crushed red pepper and pesto sauce. Lower heat. Add the coconut milk, just enough water to achieve the thickness you like and the dash of salt. Simmer on low while you prepare the sauteed cabbage or whatever you plant to serve this on. If it gets too thick, thin with a little more water stirred in. Serve atop your vegetable or “noodle” substitute of choice.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 servings, each contains (not including the cabbage or base you decide to serve this on)

520 calories
40 g fat
5.1 g carbs, 2.1 g fiber, 3.0 g NET CARBS
37 g protein
543 mg sodium
445 mg potassium
46% RDA Vitamin B6, 15% B12, 10% E, 30% copper, 31% iron, 19% magnesium, 41% manganese, 113% niacin, 48% phosphorous, 11% riboflavin, 64% selenium, 9% thiamin and 20% zinc

NOTE: This sauce was so good on the cabbage, I'm thinking about trying it without the chicken some time as a vegetable side dish only!
Wow, this looks great! I love sauteed cabbage.
atcgirl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Then you'll love this dish, atcgirl.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG, I just finally took the time to read this entire thread. Dottie, you cracked me up with you recipe title in post #31: "Trash Can Chili", and in particular, I loved your your description of it. My kind of recipe, girl! LOL

Last edited by buttoni; 08-24-2012 at 07:50 PM..
Old 09-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Paleo Pot Pie

I ventured into new territory tonight with my dinner creation. It came out VERY good and I will definitely be making this again!

I was wanting to use some leftover baked chicken breast meat for dinner tonight and my husband voted for chicken pot pie. I have a pot pie recipe on my site already that is Atkins suitable, but it has Carbquick in it and therefore I can no longer eat that one. I told hubby “I don’t think I can do that and stay true to my new Paleo way of eating.” Then I thought about it a few minutes and realized I just might be able to pull it off so that it would be tasty and at the same time, satisfy his desire for one of his comfort foods. AND I DID! MIKEY LIKED IT!!!! Wasn’t that hard really. This dish is suitable for anyone who is at the nuts and seeds rung of the Atkins OWL ladder or who follows a Paleo-Primal program. The nutritional stats below are very impressive, making it a most nutritious dinner! This would also be good made with turkey or rabbit.

FILLING INGREDIENTS:

2 c. homemade chicken stock
1 1/3 c. carrot, diced
1 1/3 c. red radishes, diced
½ c. red bell pepper, diced
1½ c. green beans, cooked and chopped a bit
½ tsp. red palm oil (for yellow color)
2 c. chicken breast, cooked, diced
½ tsp. glucomannan (Konjac) powder (or your favorite thickener)
Dash black pepper
3 T. coconut cream
3 T. homemade mayo
Dash olive oil to grease baking dish

TOPPING INGREDIENTS:

1 c. almond flour
2 T. butter
1 whole egg
1 T. coconut cream or coconut milk

DIRECTIONS: Pour chicken stock into 4 qt. saucepan. Add diced carrot and radish. Bring to boil and simmer until almost tender. Add bell pepper and cook until it is just softened a bit. Turn off fire and add chopped green beans. Dust the glucomannan powder (or whatever thickener you prefer) evenly over the broth and stir quickly to disperse into the sauce. Sauce should begin to thicken right up. Add black pepper and stir to blend all ingredients. Preheat oven to 350º. Grease an 8×11 baking dish with a bit of olive oil and pour chicken filling into the dish. Set aside while you make the topping.

In a small bowl, measure the almond flour. With a fork, beat in the soft butter, then the egg and finally the coconut cream or coconut milk. It will form a medium thick dough. With the fork and a spoon, drop small dots of the dough evenly all over the top of the chicken filling. Pop into the preheated 350º oven for about 40 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned on top. This is nice served with a green salad. ENJOY!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 5 nice 1¼ cup servings, each containing:

426 calories
33 g fat
12.5 g carbs, 5.56 g fiber, 6.94 g NET CARBS
24.3 g protein
436 mg sodium (less if there is no salt in your broth)
475 mg potassium
58% Vitamin A, 33% B6, 31% B12, 45% C, 15% E, 16% copper, 37% iron, 11% magnesium, 13% manganese, 48% niacin, 34% phosphorous, 30% riboflavin, 48% selenium, 17% zinc
Old 09-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
What a labor of love, Buttoni. I hope your DH enjoyed it. It looks beautiful!
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Em. He did! As did I. We have a friend in Dallas that was here for the weekend and he says he can get me some rabbit and will bring me a couple next visit! I can't wait to make this with RABBIT!!! Man, do I love rabbit! Better than chicken even. I haven't had any since my folks used to raise them in Texarkana and give me all I wanted for my freezer. Mmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmmmm!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Buttoni, is there a cookbook in your future? Your recipes and photos are amazing!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nope.....way too much work. I'm enjoying retirement too much. But thanks for saying that. it's the little Canon camera my brother bought me for Christmas a couple years ago. You almost can't take a bad pic with that camera.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Buttoni, I think you are very good with that camera. The food looks super, and the layout of the pictures is quite appealing. Your skill with making beautiful food and lovely photos, is the kind of thing it would be nice to see in the mainstream magazines and on television, etc. Most impressive! I know what you mean about not wanting to take on any projects that would be too involved, though.

You are living proof that LC brings out creativity.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks so much for those kind words, Em. And it's nice to know I'm living proof of something more positive than "I just can't seem to get to goal no matter what I try".
Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Lovely recipe Peggy!

I see that there are loads of good recipes in this section.

I'll be back
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

There are indeed, Barb. And thank you. It was as good as it looks. I just THOUGHT I couldn't ever have such things on Paleo. Just have to get creative with what you're allowed. I love browsing through all the marathon recipe threads here at LCF. So many good cooks here!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #117
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I have a question regarding tweaking the recipe below. I need to replace the half & half but am not sure if coconut milk or almond milk would be the best choice?

I've used coconut milk before but not in soup & I have never even tried almond milk.

This is my version of Cleo's wonderful Pumpkin Sausage Soup.
Spicy Pumpkin Chicken Soup
  • 2 c mashed pumpkin (1 15 oz can)
  • 4 c. chicken broth
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 cup chopped/sliced mushrooms
  • 1 cup half & half OR 1/2 cup half and half mixed with 1/2 cup water
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 t red pepper or to taste
  • light sprinkling of crushed red pepper (optional)
  • 1 pound chicken breast cubed

Brown chicken in pan, drain, and then add the onion, garlic and pepper. Stir in the pumpkin and mushrooms, then add the broth and mix well. Simmer 20-30 minutes. Stir in the half & half and simmer on low another 10-15 min.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think I'd go with the creamier coconut milk in that recipe. I'm not so fond of almond milk as it's so thin/watery. I invariably have to thicken anything I use it in.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #119
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Thanks, Buttoni! I'll try the coconut milk.

It is still hot here but I keep thinking how good soup would taste. I am going to have to make a big pot of it very soon.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Grilled Marinated Elk

I was at my Natural Grocers a couple weeks ago and picked up an elk chuck roast. I had no earthly idea how I planned to cook it, but did know I wanted to do it on the grill outside, since I think that brings out the best flavor in meats. I had only tasted elk one other time in my life and couldn’t actually remember the flavor, only that it was delicate and similar to beef. Not really as gamey as venison to me. So I came up with a fairly simple marinade that really did a great job of tenderizing what otherwise would nave been a fairly tough cut of meat. Elk has virtually no fat, so there is no fat marbling to help tenderize it. This recipe is suitable for all phases of Atkins and is certainly fit for any Paleo-Primal table. I served mine with a small oven-baked sweet potato, grilled pineapple slices and a nice green salad. All I can say is man, oh, man, was it ever good!!

NOTE: You can use low-sodium soy sauce or tamari if you can’t get coconut aminos. I use the latter now for health reasons and the lower sodium count. i find it at Natural Grocers and it is available on-line and probably places like Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods.

INGREDIENTS:

2 lb. elk, steaks or chuck, cut 1¼-1½ thick (reduce cooking time if using thinner cuts)
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
2 T. fresh lemon juice
2 T. coconut aminos
2 tsp. onion powder or 1 T. finely minced onion
1 tsp. garlic powder or 2 Cloves minced garlic
½ tsp. coarse black pepper
¼ tsp. smoky Chipotle powder (or cayenne)
4 T. unsalted butter or ghee, melted

DIRECTIONS: Prepare meat by trimming off any obvious large pieces of sinew. Butterfly/slice larger/thicker roasts so they are between 1¼-1½” thick. Place meat into a gallon ziploc bag. Mix the next 8 ingredients (all but the melted butter) in a small bowl. Stir and scrape the marinade into the bag. Zip bag and manipulate with your hands to evenly coat the meat. Marinate for 4 hours in the refrigerator, turning and manipulate the meat and marinade bag every hour. When ready to cook, prepare a bed of hot charcoal in your grill. When the coals are ready, place meat on grill. Using a sauce brush, baste the meat (and 5/8″-3/4″ pineapple slices if making them) with melted butter/ghee several times while cooking to help with moisture.

This will need to cook about 6-8 minutes on a side if you like your meat very rare. Allow around 10 minutes per side for medium rare, as shown in the pic above. Medium will take about 12 minutes on a side. You ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want to cook game well done on the grill (as it has no fat/marbling to help keep it moist and tender). Therein lies the path to a tough, dry result you will be VERY disappointed in. And elk is too expensive to waste cooking it to death. This marinade will work just as well with beef or lamb.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 6 servings, each contains: (does not include pineapple slices)

307 calories
16.7 g fat
2.58 g carbs, .17 g fiber, 2.41 g NET CARBS
35 g protein
202 mg sodium
497 mg potassium
21% RDA copper, 54% iron, 35% phosphorous, 27% selenium, 46% zinc, 10% magnesium