Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #61
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Chicken Liver pate w/bacon, mushrooms and onions

3T bacon fat
1lb chicken livers, rinsed and patted dry (I ended up tossing about 3oz to "yuck those don't look good") so 12oz after cleaning
6oz bacon
1 clove garlic, sliced thin
1/2 a small white onion, diced fine
5 white button mushrooms, diced
1T dried parsley flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Fry the bacon until crisp, reserve the fat and crumble the bacon. Set aside. If there's not 3T bacon fat after cooking, add enough coconut oil or evoo to make 3T.
Heat 1T bacon fat and saute the mushrooms until cooked and lightly browned. Set aside.
Add the remaining bacon fat and saute the onions and garlic, then add the chicken livers and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through- about 10 minutes.
Pulse the chicken livers and onions in a food processor until chopped, then add the salt, pepper and parsley and pulse until it's almost smooth, then add the mushrooms and bacon and pulse just to blend the mushrooms and bacon in.

Makes approx 28T or 14 servings @ :
86cals; 1g carbs per 2T serving

Adapted from a classic pate recipe, omitting the cognac and butter for primal/paleo.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/ <-- food and exercise tracking
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #62
Administrator

A paleo style bbq sauce

4T balsamic vinegar (needed something with a sweet taste for this)
1-2tsp fish sauce
4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced very fine
1/2 a small onion, diced very fine
crushed red pepper flakes
4T water
8oz can tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste

In a small saucepan heat vinegar, onions, garlic and pepper flakes and refuce by half then add the water and fish sauce, simmer and reduce again. Add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper and let simmer about 10 min over low heat to blend the flavors.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #63
Administrator

Super easy Puttanesca sauce for zucchini, spaghetti squash, chopped cabbage, or other acceptable "pasta". Also good over pureed cauliflower. :

3T good olive oil, doesn't have to be evoo
1 tin anchovies (about 6 anchovies) preferably in olive oil(chopped)
4 cloves garlic, smashed and finely minced
about 10 black or kalamata olives, roughly chopped
1T capers (can omit or use 3-4 green olives, chopped)
1/4 tsp (or more) crushed red pepper flakes
14oz can diced tomatoes in juice
additional tomato sauce, if desired, for more sauce
Pepper and salt to taste
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley

Heat the olive oil and gently saute the anchovies and garlic until the anchovies break up and almost dissolve. Add the pepper flakes and stir well, then add everything except the parsley and simmer for about 10 minutes over low heat.
Stir the parsley in and serve.

*You can add mushrooms, onions, italian sausage, ground beef or whatever you like to this as well.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #64
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Dottie, that sounds like it would be amazing over fish!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #65
Administrator

Simple Carne Asada style steak

*Any steak, about 4oz per serving (bigger if you like) thickly cut if possible
*Carne asada spice blend (make this yourself and store in a jar. equal parts: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano (crumble the oregano if it's whole leaf).
*2tsp olive or coconut oil, or lard if you're lucky - liquid/melted

If the steak is thick, using a fillet knife butterfly it open and press flat.
Sprinkle generously with the seasoning blend, roll up and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour (can go overnight if you like).
About 15 minutes before cooking, take the meat out, unroll it and let it sit(covered) at room temp for about 15 minutes. Rub with the oil.
Heat a grill pan or skillet over moderately high heat, flick a few drops of water on it. When the water dances, it's hot enough.
Sear the steak on one side for 2 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Serve.

**If serving with peppers and onions, cook those first so the steak doesn't get cold. Just toss the veggies with evoo and a little of the spice mix and grill or saute.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #66
Administrator

Just another tip: If you're going to a Mexican restaurant and are tempted by the chips and salsa, ask if they will bring you some sliced bell peppers, like they cook with the fajitas. Raw peppers make an excellent "chip" for salsa and guacamole (or queso if you're primal).
I think next time we go, after the challenge, I'm going to see if they'll make nachos on peppers instead of on chips! I can see lightly roasted peppers topped with meat, cheese and tomatoes along with guacamole and maybe sour cream (primal because of the dairy)
Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #67
Administrator

Paleo style flat bread (pizza, crackers, foccoccia, etc)

2 Large Eggs
2 oz Tap Water
1/4 tsp Light Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tbsp Coconut Flour

Beat egg well and add the water, salt and olive oil. Mix then stir in the coconut flour and baking powder. Mix until it forms a thick batter.
Pour into a 9x5 non-stick baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Remove and let cool, then cut into 2 servings and continue to top for pizza, foccocia, or cut into smaller pieces as a flat bread for dips.

Nutritional info per serving (2 servings per recipe) :
175 cals; 12g fat; 7.5g carbs; 4.5g fiber; 7.8g protein

** I was out of parchment paper and I will use it next time. The flat bread was difficult to get out of the pan with just cooking spray.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #68
Administrator

I was watching Diners, Drive Throughs and Dives the other day and caught them making a home-made chorizo breakfast sausage. I can't find the recipe online yet but the gist of it was:

ground pork
dried chilies (remove cap and seeds, soak in hot water 20 min then blend with:
salt, pepper, garlic, onion, may have used Adobo seasoning which has paprika and turmeric in it.
Mix well, refrigerate 2-3 days covered then cook.

If my store has ground pork tomorrow, I'm going to pick some up and try this. I love chorizo and eggs!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #69
Administrator

I had 1/2 a tin of anchovies (about 6 anchovies) left over so I decided to make a kicked-up mayo/dip with them.

6 anchovy fillets
1 clove garlic (I used a big clove)
3T mayonnaise (I used my homemade)
1T mustard
2T evoo
2T lemon juice
1/4tsp tabasco sauce
fresh pepper

Blend everything until smooth and emulsified.

Add water or vinegar and water to make salad dressing.
If I'd had some fresh parsley or chives, I'd have added those
Old 10-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #70
Administrator

Not a recipe, but this is such a good dressing, I'm pasting the ingredients here in hopes we can get inspired to make a primal version of this:

Quote:
Newman's Own Parmesan & Roasted Garlic Dressing
All Natural Ingredients:
Ingredients: Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Canola), Distilled Vinegar, Water, Parmesan Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt), Salt, Sugar, Garlic*, Roasted Garlic Puree (Roasted Garlic, Vinegar), Onion*, Worcestershire Sauce (Distilled Vinegar, Molasses, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Caramel Color, Garlic Powder, Sugar, Spices, Tamarind, Natural Flavor), Spice, Natural Flavor, Xanthan Gum * Dried
I'm thinking go with light olive oil, bragg's organic vinegar, fresh parmesan, salt, stevia, fresh garlic, roasted garlic, green onion(maybe freeze dried for the flavor kick it has), pepper, and the only thing I'm waffling about is worcestershire sauce because of the ingredients. Maybe go with just a splash of fish sauce and a little more stevia or even a few drops of honey or molasses for that flavor?

There's another brand that Kroger carries called Annies Naturals, but the same problematic ingredients:

Quote:
Goddess Dressing

In the 1920's, the Palace Hotel in San Francisco honored actor George Arliss, who was opening in a play called "The Green Goddess," with a salad dressing. But Annie's unique version - a creamy tahini and lemon dressing with chives and parsley is the real showstopper.

(8 oz. bottle)

Vegan
+ View this product's ingredients

INGREDIENTS: EXPELLER PRESSED VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA, SOY, AND/OR SUNFLOWER), WATER, TAHINI, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, SEA SALT, GARLIC, TOASTED SESAME SEEDS, PARSLEY, CHIVES, XANTHAN GUM.

CONTAINS SOY AND WHEAT INGREDIENTS.
BUT other than the oil and soy sauce, this one seems pretty good, Sub those out with light olive oil and fish sauce and I think it can be a good homemade one
Old 10-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Try the Braggs salad dressings--entirely Paleo! The only thing is you can't keep em in the fridge because the olive oil hardens up--but they are delicious and no problematic ingredients.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #72
Administrator

Thanks! I haven't seen them yet, but will look
Old 10-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #73
Administrator

Ok I couldn't find a recipe so I made my own chorizo. I like it! I think the next time I make chili, I'm going to use the dried pepper mix from this for the chili.

2 dried chili peppers (the big maroon/burgandy colored ones in the store)
3 cloves garlic
3 green onions or about 1/4 cup diced onion
3T vinegar
1tsp ground cumin
1/2tsp salt
big pinch black pepper -to taste

Pull the caps off the peppers and discard the seeds. Rip them into pieces and put them, along with the garlic and onions, in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let steep 30 minutes then drain -but keep the liquid if the mix is too dry, add a little.
Puree the chilis, garlic, onions and everything except the reserved water in a blender and puree until smooth, adding a little water if needed. You want a ketchup like consistency.

Mix this into 1 pound of ground pork, beef, chicken or turkey and really knead it into the meat so it's well distributed.
Cover tightly and refrigerate 3 days.
Form into patties or crumble and pan fry until cooked through.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #74
Administrator

Peach Cranberry Cobbler (Primal)
Serves 2

For the filling:
2 medium peaches, cut in half, remove pit and chop (117cals; 2.7g protein; 28g carbs; 4.5g fiber)
¼ cup fresh cranberries (about 20 berries) frozen is fine (12cals; 3g carbs; 1g fiber)
4T water
2tsp lemon juice
1 pk stevia or sweetener of choice
1/2tsp cinnamon, pumpkin pie seasoning or apple pie seasoning
Scant pinch of salt
1T butter or ghee (100cals)

For the crust:
2T coconut flour (60cals; 8g carbs; 5g fiber)
1/4tsp baking powder
1 large egg (70cals)
2T water
1pk stevia or sweetener of choice

In a small saucepan, place cranberries, water, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon and sweetener. Bring to a simmer and add the peaches. Stir while cooking until the cranberries pop and the water thickens. Stir in the ghee and divide among 2 microwave safe ramekins.

In a small bowl beat the egg then add the water and sweetener, blend well then stir in the coconut flour and baking powder. Let sit 5 minutes, adding more water if needed to get a dough like consistency.
Spoon equally over the 2 ramekins of fruit, brush with more melted butter if desired and sprinkle with sweetener and cinnamon if desired.
Microwave for 1.5 minutes or until dough is cooked through.

Per serving: 180 cals; 20g carbs; 5g fiber (roughly depends on brands)

*sub strawberries, apples, blackberries, etc for the peaches
**equally good without the topping, just drizzle a little more butter and cinnamon on top of the warm fruit
Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #75
Administrator

Bell pepper nachos (primal with cheese and optional sour cream; paleo without)
Serves: 2 as a meal, 4 as an appetizer

2 medium green bell peppers, preferably with 4 lobes each
1lb lean ground beef
Mexican taco seasoning (mine is chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne)
½ cup water
½ cup shredded cheese of your choice
½ cup diced tomatoes
2 cups shredded lettuce
Jalapeno slices (optional)
Diced avocado (optional)
Sour cream (optional)

Divide peppers into lobes, remove cap and seeds and clean out membranes. Cut a very thin slice off the bottom of each so they will sit up like “boats”, being careful not to make a hole in the pepper.
Place in a microwave safe dish in a single layer and cover, microwave for 2 minutes until they’re slightly softened but not mushy.
Break up the ground beef and brown in a skillet, add the water and seasonings and simmer until the water is all absorbed.
Spoon the meat mixture evenly in the pepper boats and top with the cheese.
Microwave or broil until cheese is melted then top with the remaining ingredients.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #76
Administrator

Sweet tooth egg "macaroon" scramble
I was going to make primal macaroons, but the whites fell so I scrambled it lol.

2 large eggs
3T shredded unsweetened coconut
2pks stevia
2T water
1/2 tsp lemon zest*
ghee or coconut oil to cook in

In a small bowl mix the coconut with 1pk sweetener, the water and lemon zest. If not using zest, substitute 1T lemon juice for 1T of the water. Stir to coat and let sit 10 minutes to absorb.
Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt then add the coconut(liquid and all if there's any left).
Heat oil in a non-stick skillet and scramble the coconut eggs.

Not including the cooking fat: 230cals; 17g fat; 3.5gcarbs; 2g fiber; 12.6g protein
Old 10-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #77
Administrator

Primal Peppermint Mocha Coffee creamer/sweetener

1 cup almond or coconut milk (depends on how fatty you want it)
15 drops sweet leaf peppermint stevia
2T dark cocoa powder

Heat 1/4 cup of the "milk" just to a bare simmer then stir in the cocoa powder and stevia (the cocoa powder dissolves better in hot liquid). Let come to room temp then mix with the remaining "milk" and keep refrigerated.
Since my son loves sweetened creamers, I decided to experiment. A drop of 2 of peppermint extract would kick the peppermint taste up as well.
Cinnamon + plain stevia; vanilla extract and nutmeg; you get the idea
Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #78
Administrator

I was playing in the kitchen yesterday and have really been wanting eggrolls. This isn't the same as a fried eggroll, but the flavor of the filling is nice and nori is a mineral powerhouse

Nori pork springy eggrolls

Ingredients
• 6 oz Extra Lean Ground Pork
• 1 1/2 cups Angel Hair Cole Slaw
• 1 tsp Ginger Root
• 2 Garlic Clove
• 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
• 1 tbsp Coconut Aminos
• 1/2 tsp Spices, Crushed Red Peppers
• 1/4 tsp Salt*
• 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
• 1 cup Shredded Romaine Lettuce
• 3 sheet Dried Seaweed ***
Directions
Mix very well: ground pork, all seasonings and shredded cabbage along with fish sauce and coconut aminos.
Form into 3 tightly packed oblong patties about the size of the nori sheet in length.
Bake or pan fry until cooked through.
Lay the 3 nori sheets out on a dry surface and divide the shredded lettuce evenly among them.
Place a hot pork patty on each, then wet the long edge of the nori sheet and roll, sealing with the wet edge. You can also wet the ends and pinch closed, if you like.
Cut in halves on the diagonal and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.

*Quick sauce, not included in the nutritional info:
1T almond butter, melted with 1tsp coconut aminos, splash of vinegar, splash of siracha (if desired) and 2tsp water.

***optional instead of nori you could beat 2 ex-large eggs very well, add 1tsp fish sauce and, if desired ginger and garlic and make 3 egg based wrappers. I find these work better if you make them a day ahead of time and refrigerate overnight to firm up. Not included in the nutritional information.

For all 3 rolls: 330 cals; 15.4g fat; 15.7g carbs; 3.2g fiber; 41.36g protein

I'm no food stylist so forgive the pic lol. There are just 2 in the pic as well. The recipe makes 3 but I ate one yesterday when I was developing it lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nori.jpg (59.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #79
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Just another tip: If you're going to a Mexican restaurant and are tempted by the chips and salsa, ask if they will bring you some sliced bell peppers, like they cook with the fajitas. Raw peppers make an excellent "chip" for salsa and guacamole (or queso if you're primal).
I think next time we go, after the challenge, I'm going to see if they'll make nachos on peppers instead of on chips! I can see lightly roasted peppers topped with meat, cheese and tomatoes along with guacamole and maybe sour cream (primal because of the dairy)
Great idea....
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tonedbody
Love those nori rolls!

I am going to make them, I may add some shrimp
Tonedbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #81
Administrator

I love nori and use it as a spring roll wrapper, too
I get the pack of 10 sheets and it goes dry pretty fast, so I store it in a zipper bag but if I'm not using it all within about 2 weeks, I start shredding it into soups and salads.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Crab and Veggie Omelet

Ingredients:
2-3 Eggs
2-3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
6-8 oz Crab Meat
2 oz chopped tomatoes
2 oz chopped white onions
2 oz chopped green onions
Fresh cracked black pepper
Fresh Garlic

Heat all ingredients in a frying pan except for the eggs. Scramble the eggs and pour over the heated ingredients. Cover with lid until eggs are firm.

This is delicious and buttery even though there is no butter
Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Tuna Salad

Ingredients:
2 Cans of tuna in olive oil
2 oz chopped white onion
2 oz chopped green onion
2 oz chopped tomatoes
1 oz capers
1 oz chopped Spanish olives
Juice of one lemon

Combine and eat. You can add any veggie you like (red onion, celery, cucumber, whatever is on hand) This is my breakfast today because it is around 50 g of protein
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #84
Administrator

That sounds good! I'm a caper and olive fan
Old 10-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That sounds good! I'm a caper and olive fan
It is really beautiful too, all the colors. Sometimes I make it with just one can and it is very filling
Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #86
Administrator

Nori Ruben Wraps
Makes 2 -1 serving
Primal, has cheese, if you can find good, lean corned beef then use that instead.

2 sheets Dried Seaweed (nori)
2 oz Corned Beef (budding is fine -see note above)
1 slice 2% Milk Swiss Cheeses
4 tbsp Saurkraut drain very well
1 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 tsp Mustard*
1/2 tsp Tomato Paste
1 tsp Dill Pickle Relish
2 Green Leaf Lettuce leaves

For the dressing: mix the mayo, mustard, tomato paste and relish. Taste and add salt, pepper and sweetener if desired.
Lay a lettuce leaf down on the nori then 1/2 the dressing, half the corned beef, half the cheese then finish with 1/2 the saurkraut (well drained). Roll and assemble the second one.
Makes 1 serving.

278 cals, 20g fat, 16g carbs; 18g protein
Old 10-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #87
Administrator

This is a low-calorie paleo recipe Increase cals by using a whole egg, more shrimp and more olive oil for the 'fry' stage

Shrimp "Fried rice"
1 serving
204 calories; 5.5g fat; 9g carbs; 4g fiber; 24g protein

1 large egg white (16 cals)
1 tsp olive oil (33 cals)optional but included in the nutritional info
2T water
3oz shrimp, weigh after peeling and deveining; cut in half (80 cals)
2 cups frozen cauliflower, "rice" by pulsing in a food processor (50 cals)
2tsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce) (10 cals)
1 baby carrot, grated (4 cals)
9 cilantro leaves, chopped (4 cals)
garlic powder, salt, pepper, ground ginger and crushed pepper flakes to taste

Beat the egg white with a little salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a small, non-stick skillet then add the egg, coating the pan as much as possible, then scrambling.
Remove from the pan and add the shrimp and water (If the shrimp is raw), cook on high heat 1 minute then add everything else and stir fry quickly just until heated through and the cauliflower is cooked (maybe 3 minutes).
Stir the egg white back in and serve.

*make this into a big soup by adding 1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Almond Cookies:

1 1/3 Cup Blanched or Slivered Almonds or 1 Cup of Almond Flour
2 Eggs
Stevia to taste
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp lemon extract (I think this is primal, if you are unsure leave it out)

Place all ingredients into a food processor (I used my vitamix). Blend until it turns into a smooth cookie batter. Spoon onto a greased cookie sheet bake at 350 until golden brown.

This made 12 small cookies.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #89
Administrator

Pork Chop Suey Soup

6oz lean pork tenderloin, cut into small pieces (180 cals)
2 cups low-fat chicken broth (pacific naturals 20 cals)
1 cup water
additional chicken boullion if desired
1/2 cup diced onion (33 cals)
1 large can La Choy Chop Suey vegetables (7 servings per can size - 105 cals)
1T fresh grated ginger (10 cals)
2 cloves garlic, minced (8 cals)
1T coconut aminos (15 cals- use soy sauce or fish sauce if you like)
salt and pepper to taste

Saute pork and onions along with the garlic and ginger, in a pan sprayed lightly with cooking spray until pork is cooked and onions are soft. Stir constantly so the garlic doesn't burn - about 8 minutes.
Add everything else and simmer about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend.
(This is better the next day so the flavors get a chance to develop).

Entire recipe: 371 cals; 38g carbs; 1.5g fiber; 34g protein

** The canned veggies have a lot of sodium. You can drain and rinse them well and eliminate a lot of it or use frozen stir fry veggies, just adjust the calories accordingly
Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kraken
Stats: 158/151/135
WOE: paleo
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Quote:
I love chicken liver pate and I will make a batch of this up and just eat it by the spoonful when I feel "snacky".

1lb chicken livers, rinsed and trimmed if needed
4T kerrygold or other good quality butter
2T cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
1 rib celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 a small onion, diced (about 1/4 cup diced)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Heat the butter and evoo in a pan and saute the onion, celery and garlic for a few minutes just to soften, then add the livers and cook until they're cooked through, turning once or twice as needed.
Put everything except the parsley in a food processor and pulse until it's the consistency you like (I prefer smooth) then add the parsley and pulse a few times to blend it in.
Refrigerate at least an hour for the flavors to develop before eating (I try to refrigerate it over night but sometimes I can't leave it alone that long).
I LOVE liver. Thank you for the idea!
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote