Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/)
-   -   2 weeks down eating Paleo! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/paleolithic-neanderthin/721404-2-weeks-down-eating-paleo.html)

QueenBacon 05-14-2011 09:29 AM

2 weeks down eating Paleo!

well 2 weeks down and I have lost 4lbs, and I feel amazing!
Paleo is amazing, wish I would have found out about this clean way of eating a long time ago!

Violet_Dream 05-14-2011 10:21 AM

What is Paleo?

clackley 05-14-2011 10:33 AM

My D.D. started last week and is loving it as well. Do you include dairy?

jlhinbrisvegas 05-14-2011 11:05 AM

I just finished a 30 day challenge and loved it! It's great for breaking addictions to the processed stuff.:cool:

QueenBacon 05-14-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonstruck (Post 14647603)
What is Paleo?

Not eating any pre packaged foods, no sugar or artifical sweeteners, no dairy, no legumes... Oh and of course no grains or starchy root veggies.
N I'mo not eating dairy...
If you google robb wolf you can get a better idea

clackley 05-14-2011 01:04 PM

Robb Wolf is great! I have been listening to some podcasts with him and reading a bit at his site. I am not ready to give up dairy but am seriously considering getting rid of all a.s. I admit that I do cling to them in the same way I did to high carbs foods back in the day. Monday is my target date. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

QueenBacon 05-14-2011 01:13 PM

clackley its SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier then I thought.. honestly giving up carbs was so much harder then giving up as and dairy..
I have yet to listen to any of his podcasts. can you down load them with out paying? I could download them and put them on my cell and listen to and from work..
Honestly with all the great recepies I have found and by the books I have read, I do not yet miss cheese or dairy.. AND I DO LOVE THAT I CAN add in my fruit..
I was becomming a slave to AS and HWC in my coffee, its nice to be free now.
Now that im not eating all that stuff simple things taste so much better. Like who would have ever thought that eating a slice of green bell pepper would taste like fruit?
The books that I read so far are: "the paleo solution the original human diet" by robb wolf
"everyday paleo" by sarah fragoso (great cook book inside too and amazing pictures) and I bought "the paleo diet cookbook" by loren cordain.
When I commmit to a plan I read all I can, do tons of research then jump in head first and never look back.
When I'm done with my 30 days I have no idea where i'm going to go with this. I may do cheats once in a while, but my cheats will be organic dairy. The only thing I may actually add after the 30 days is organic butter and MAYBE REAL STEVIA. (I have a kit in my kitchen to start growing my own plant)
This way of eating has made me even want to move out of the city.. I can't wait till the day we can afford to pick up and move, then maybe I can have a garden and grow my own veggies and stuff..

gonnagetthin 05-14-2011 02:23 PM

I want to try this, but I so LOVE cheese would be worried can't live without it ;) Maybe I'll do it as a 3 day thing? once I'm better, right now I'm uber sick :(

clackley 05-14-2011 03:40 PM

Feel better soon Chrystal! :hugs:

Kerry, just go to itunes store and search The Paleo Solution. They are all free and are so interesting and informative. I have been listening while I walk and I get totally absorbed.

Thanks for the words of encouragement with the issue of no dairy. I will have to see how I do with no a.s. and hope to start on Monday. I am use to it in my coffee and I do use some products with a.s. like ketchup. I think it won't be too difficult - at least I hope!!

zizi 05-14-2011 07:14 PM

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was shocked when my new doc said my diet was basically paleo! I eat mainly seafood, salad, and eggs.

muffin_maiden 05-15-2011 04:30 AM

I love eating primal/paleo! Unfortunately I've gone by way of some packaged foods lately...mainly the Philly Swirl frozen treats. I blame my upcoming TOM.

QueenBacon 05-15-2011 07:52 AM

muffin every time I see your Avi I smile!
I LOVEEEEEEEEEE BOBS BURGERS! I do a good impression of the wife lololol

icandoit 05-16-2011 06:42 PM

Can you post an example of a typical menu? I have been thinking about doing Paleo!

QueenBacon 05-16-2011 07:51 PM

veggie omlett for breakfast (2-3 eggs with onions, bell peppers, spinich, tomato fried in olive oil)
lunch is usually a garden salad topped with some protein (chicken, beef, fish etc) with vinegar and oil
snacks are usually an oz of nuts, a hard boiled egg, a small piece of fruit or veggies
dinner is usually a salad with protein, or protein and a veggie with oil (I use walnut oil, olive oil, sesame oil, and avocado oil, and coconut oil)
occasionally i'll have a piece of fruit for dessert

flatferenghi 05-17-2011 10:58 AM

good for u, kerry.

i believe PALEO is the healthiest way to go, whether u wish to lose weight or just to maintain. I am not ready for such an austere plan. I do less FRANKENFOODS than in the past. However, at this juncture, I am not quite ready yet. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

sublimechik 05-17-2011 11:08 AM

i am mixing paleo and atkins together...until i can cut out all dairy like cheese and butter...i did buy oilive oil and hope to make homeade ghee to cook with. i put coconut oil in the cart yesterday but i cant find it...good luck...if you can handle paleo you can handle anything lol :)

fawn 05-17-2011 08:07 PM

I love paleo. In fact, I'm excited to announce that I'll be attending the ancestral symposium in August so I get to meet Robb, Art Devany, Nora Gedgaudas, Loren Cordain, etc. The list is huge and I'm so excited for this!!

sweet irony 05-17-2011 08:53 PM

omg Fawn. That's gonna be awesome. I'm excited FOR you.

Contributor 05-17-2011 11:58 PM

I'm thinking about trying it out for a month. Not sure how i'll go giving up the sweeteners, cheese and cream though.

Chasintrail 05-18-2011 07:01 AM

Fawn - I'm seriously jealous! I was tempted to go this year, but didn't make up my mind in time.

Folks - while "traditional" paleo is no dairy, there are other plans such as Mark's Daily Apple Primal that allow dairy as long as you are not intolerant. One thing I think you may find if you go this route is that over time you'll want less conventional dairy. I used to live on the bright orange and white colby cheese. Now I eat very little cheese at all and when I do it's usually raw milk or goat cheese. I'll be doing a whole 30 challenge (with the extra added inconvenience of avoiding all seed oils) in June, the one thing that's panicking me is giving up my cream in coffee! It's an improvement, a year ago I wouldn't even have considered it.

Knittering 05-18-2011 08:17 AM

I think this is what I'm going to try once I'm back in weight loss mode. It just seems like the logical conclusion to so many of my new beliefs about food and how we should be eating.

clackley 05-18-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawn (Post 14658473)
I love paleo. In fact, I'm excited to announce that I'll be attending the ancestral symposium in August so I get to meet Robb, Art Devany, Nora Gedgaudas, Loren Cordain, etc. The list is huge and I'm so excited for this!!

I would be excited too!!! I am pretty new to the 'paleo world' but think that there is so much great info and smart people in that forum. I hope you get time to share a bit with us when you return!!!:D

LeanLioness 05-18-2011 08:55 AM

I transitioned over from Atkins to Paleo (kind of Primal Blue Print) in February when I got laid off and I have lost 38 pounds since then........

I feel better than I have in years!!!

nerma 05-18-2011 09:38 AM

subbing :)

afuentes 05-18-2011 10:07 AM

Fawn - you are so lucky!!! Share when you return. :) I love listening to Robb Wolf's radio.

CARLINI 05-18-2011 12:14 PM

Paleo is awesome. The no cheese thing was really hard to get use to at first. Mentally hard. But now it's just so easy. I've tried testing dairy a few times and I always get a reaction. So I doubt I can ever eat it again. :annoyed:

granolamom 05-18-2011 12:29 PM

subscribing this does interest me though the thought of no cream in my coffee **shudder** and no kerrygold butter double shudder :)

Kerry-Congrats! Its feels so good when you find what works for YOU!

CARLINI 05-18-2011 12:42 PM

I use coconut milk in my coffee. Yummm. Never use to like it but I do now.

Everyone at some point should test diary, since it’s a highly allergenic food. Your body builds a tolerance to things you eat all the time, so you may not show obvious symptoms even though the inflammation is there. Don't eat it for a week and then add it back in. You'll know within 20 minutes if you have an issue with it or not.

Cuthbert 05-18-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granolamom (Post 14660763)
subscribing this does interest me though the thought of no cream in my coffee **shudder** and no kerrygold butter double shudder :)

Kerry-Congrats! Its feels so good when you find what works for YOU!

You can adopt the basic tenents of the diet and keep the cream and butter. The idea is that we evolved to eat what nature provided. I like to think that a bit of natures dairy and cheese isn't too bad as long as you don't have a reaction to it. One of the podcasts actually mentioned kerrygold butter as one of the better choices. Rob said that pastured butter is the best choice (among butters). Dairy can be a great source of fat. You just need to watch for sensitivity to Lactose and Casein.
I like to think that there are foods that should not be eaten and foods that can be eaten in moderation to no ill effect. It's up to us to discover what that encompasses.

fawn 05-19-2011 07:30 AM

I'll be tweeting and posting on FB while I'm there to keep you all in the know! my twitter name is coachmisty